ImageImageImage

The fight for the 6th seed

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Re: The fight for the 6th seed 

Post#81 » by kuclas » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:26 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:Didn’t realize that division winner is the ultimate tie breaker. Would be pretty lame if we’re 3-0 against them head-to-head but we still lose the tie break.

From what I read. In a 3 way tie

But if two way tie. Sixers wiii be in over magic.

We need to pray indiana not end up with same record as magic.

But bucks have incentive to be the 2 seed and win on Sunday to avoid the sixers but they probably don’t want the heat either.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,880

Post#82 » by Stanford » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:31 pm

Tim Bontemps is no kind of antacid.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,433

Post#83 » by FlyingArrow » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:33 pm

FlyingArrow wrote:Yep - that looks right. If the Sixers win these last two games, they get out of the play-in unless it's a 3-way tie. If they lose to the Magic, the Sixers are in the play-in. If they beat the Magic but lose to the Nets, they can still end up with a 6 seed, but it would require several other games to all fall the right way.

Looking at all this - the Pacers are almost safe from the play-in. I only see one scenario where they don't make it, but if they do fall to the play-in, they fall all the way to the 8 seed. For that to happen all 7 of the remaining relevant games would have to go exactly the wrong way for the Pacers.

Sixers 2-0:
If Cavs not 0-2:
If Pacers 2-0, then Sixers are 6 seed. (Possibly tied with Magic, but Sixers win tiebreaker.)
If Pacers 0-2, then Sixers are 5 seed. (Possibly tied with Magic, but Sixers win tiebreaker.)
If Pacers 1-1 and Magic 0-2, then Sixers are 6 seed. (Tied with Pacers and lose tiebreaker.)
If Pacers 1-1 and Magic 1-1, then Sixers are 7 seed. (3-way tie with Pacers and Magic. Magic win the tie because they are division winners, and then Sixers lose to Pacers head-to-head.)

If Cavs are 0-2, they are also tied with Sixers:
If Pacers 2-0 and Magic 0-2, then Sixers are 5 seed. (Sixers win tiebreaker over Cavs.)
If Pacers 2-0 and Magic 1-1, then Sixers are 6 seed. (Magic win 3-way tie as division winners. Sixers win tiebreaker over Cavs based on conference record.)
If Pacers 1-1 and Magic 0-2, then Sixers are 5 seed. (3-way tie with Pacers and Cavs***. Pacers win the 3-way tie to take the 4 seed. Sixers beat Cavs based on conference record to take the 5 seed.)
If Pacers 1-1 and Magic 1-1, then Sixers are 6 seed. (4-way tie with the Pacers, Magic, and Cavs. Magic win 4-way tie for 4 seed because they are division winners. 3-way tie with Pacers and Cavs resolves as above. Pacers, then Sixers, then Cavs.)

Sixers 1-1 (beat Magic, lose to Nets):
If Magic 1-1, then Sixers are 7/8 seed.
If Magic 0-2, Pacers 1-1 or better, and either Heat 0-2 or Heat 1-1, then Sixers are 6 seed. (Tied with Magic and win tiebreaker.)
If Magic 0-2, Pacers 0-2, and either Heat 0-2 or Heat 1-1, then Sixers are 7 seed. (Same tie as above, where it's first Magic, then Pacers, then Sixers.)
If Magic 0-2 Heat 2-0, and Pacers not 0-2, then it's a 3-way tie with the Magic and the Heat.* Pacers aren't in the tie and are the 5 seed. Heat get 6 seed, Sixers get 7 seed, Magic get 8 seed.
If Magic 0-2, Heat 2-0, and Pacers 0-2, then it's a 4-way tie with Pacers/Sixers/Heat/Magic.** Heat are 5 seed, Sixers are 6 seed, Magic are 7 seed, Pacers are 8 seed.

Sixers 1-1 (lose to Magic): Sixers are 7/8 seed (can't beat Magic or Pacers)

Sixers 0-2: Sixers are 7/8 seed (can't beat Magic or Pacers)

===

* 3-way tiebreaker with Heat and Magic. Division leaders go first. Heat and Magic tie for division lead, and Heat win the tiebreaker to win the division. Then Sixers win the tiebreaker versus the Magic.
Heat 2-1 vs Sixers, 3-1 vs Magic. 5-2 overall.
Sixers 3-0 vs Magic, 1-2 vs Heat. 4-2 overall.
Magic 0-3 vs Sixers, 1-3 vs Heat. 1-6 overall.

** 4-way tiebreaker with Pacers, Heat and Magic. Division leaders go first. Heat and Magic tie for division lead, and Heat win the tiebreaker to win the division and the 5 seed. Now that the Magic aren't division winners, Sixers win the 3-way tie among the Magic, Pacers, and Sixers. (Note that they lose this exact same tie is the scenario above where the Magic are the division winners.) Then Magic beat the Pacers in the head-to-head tiebreaker.

Heat 2-1 vs Sixers, 3-1 vs Magic, 1-2 vs Pacers.
Sixers 3-0 vs Magic, 1-2 vs Heat, 1-2 vs Pacers.
Magic 0-3 vs Sixers, 1-3 vs Heat, 2-1 vs Pacers.
Pacers 2-1 vs Sixers, 1-2 vs Magic, 2-1 vs Heat.

Sixers 3-0 vs Magic, 1-2 vs Pacers. 4-2 overall.
Magic 0-3 vs Sixers, 2-1 vs Pacers. 2-4 overall.
Pacers 2-1 vs Sixers, 1-2 vs Magic. 3-3 overall.

*** 3-way tiebreaker with Pacers and Cavs. No division leader.
Sixers 1-2 vs Pacers, 2-2 vs Cavs. 3-4 overall.
Pacers 2-1 vs Sixers, 3-1 vs Cavs. 5-2 overall.
Cavs 2-2 vs Sixers, 1-3 vs Pacers. 3-5 overall.

===
EDIT: If the Cavaliers go 0-2, they could also end up in a tie with the Sixers. That's another way the Sixers could end up in a 3-way tie that they lose. I hadn't included those possibilities. In a 2-way tie, the Sixers would beat the Cavs. H-2-H, it was 2-2. Neither is a division winner, and they are not in the same division, so it goes to conference record. Cavs currently have a better conference record, but if we end up tied it's because Sixers go 2-0 while Cavs go 0-2, at which point the Sixers would win the tiebreaker.

There are a lot of games that impact our seeding, but none of them are tonight.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,154

Post#84 » by Arsenal » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:35 am

Knicks killing Saltics. If they win out and Bucks lose out, Knicks are #2 and Bucks #3.

Prefer that so if we get #6 we get Bucks. Much easier matchup.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#85 » by kuclas » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:55 am

Arsenal wrote:Knicks killing Saltics. If they win out and Bucks lose out, Knicks are #2 and Bucks #3.

There is a lot of not so silent throwing of nba games. I suspect Celtics (not that it matters) since they are
The best team overall.

I suspect by letting knicks win. Celtics know they will force the bucks to actually try to win Sunday. Maybe. Who knows. But forcing Orlando to the play in and potential 8 seed is better overall first round for Celtics than a potential Miami heat or sixers first round matchup.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,256

Post#86 » by eyeatoma » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:55 am

Do not want anything to do with the Knicks at this piont it's not terrible if we're 7. Or if Bucks lose both games and drop to 3 like you said Arsenal.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#87 » by eyeatoma » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:56 am

kuclas wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Knicks killing Saltics. If they win out and Bucks lose out, Knicks are #2 and Bucks #3.

There is a lot of not so silent throwing of nba games. I suspect Celtics (not that it matters) since they are
The best team overall.

I suspect by letting knicks win. Celtics know they will force the bucks to actually try to win Sunday. Maybe. Who knows. But forcing Orlando to the play in and potential 8 seed is better overall first round for Celtics than a potential Miami heat or sixers first round matchup.

You give the Celtics too much credit. Mazula isn't that smart.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,154

Post#88 » by Arsenal » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:24 am

Saltics and Knicks are clearly the best teams in the East. Want to avoid both as long as possible. Pretty sure we beat any other teams, including the Bucks.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#89 » by M2J » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:13 am

Arsenal wrote:Saltics and Knicks are clearly the best teams in the East. Want to avoid both as long as possible. Pretty sure we beat any other teams, including the Bucks.

No excuse not to beat the Knicks without Randall if you're Philly. That would be a fun series.

Could be pretty fun to actually beat Miami even if in the play in tournament too. A little payback from a couple years ago.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 342

Post#90 » by Jhawk03 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:55 am

kuclas wrote:

The best team overall.

I could point you towards the rabbit hole...
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#91 » by eyeatoma » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:59 am

Jhawk03 wrote:
kuclas wrote:

The best team overall.

At this point I think you have a fetish for rabbit's holes...
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect

Post#92 » by Jhawk03 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:20 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Jhawk03 wrote:
kuclas wrote:
The best team overall.

I mean, I do like holes, but that's another conversation
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect

Post#93 » by Jhawk03 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:38 am

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2350531&p=111578644#p111578644

Nothings changed in the past few weeks. But "rabbit holes" are at least excitingly unpredictable.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#94 » by eyeatoma » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:53 am

Jhawk03 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Jhawk03 wrote:

I mean, I do like holes, but that's another conversation
We all like holes...

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,597

Post#95 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:57 am

I prefer Knicks. I like our wing defense on guards.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,867

Post#96 » by Mik317 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:21 pm

The Knicks have beaten us pretty hard this year no? Hartenstein is the kind of big goofy white (black?) guy that can give Biid enough of a problems too... Randle being out is also probably a good thing lol.

BUT you want to get to 6 because it allows you to have a **** yourself game that the play in does not IMO.

But regardless...win out, and go into the playoffs feeling good about yourselves.... The last two playoff runs started with them being a team that people expected to get upset due to the iffy vibes IIRC.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,433

Post#97 » by FlyingArrow » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:38 am

Updated after the Sixers' win over the Magic.

Sixers beat Nets:
If Cavs not 0-2:
If Pacers 2-0, then Sixers are 6 seed. (Possibly tied with Magic, but Sixers win tiebreaker.)
If Pacers 0-2, then Sixers are 5 seed. (Possibly tied with Magic, but Sixers win tiebreaker.)
If Pacers 1-1 and Magic lose to Bucks, then Sixers are 6 seed. (Tied with Pacers and lose tiebreaker.)
If Pacers 1-1 and Magic beat Bucks, then Sixers are 7 seed. (3-way tie with Pacers and Magic. Magic win the tie because they are division winners, and then Sixers lose to Pacers head-to-head.)

If Cavs are 0-2, they are tied with Sixers:
If Pacers 2-0 and Magic lose to Bucks, then Sixers are 5 seed. (Sixers win tiebreaker over Cavs.)
If Pacers 2-0 and Magic beat Bucks, then Sixers are 6 seed. (Magic win 3-way tie as division winners. Sixers win tiebreaker over Cavs based on conference record.)
If Pacers 1-1 and Magic lose to Bucks, then Sixers are 5 seed. (3-way tie with Pacers and Cavs***. Pacers win the 3-way tie to take the 4 seed. Sixers beat Cavs based on conference record to take the 5 seed.)
If Pacers 1-1 and Magic beat Bucks, then Sixers are 6 seed. (4-way tie with the Pacers, Magic, and Cavs. Magic win 4-way tie for 4 seed because they are division winners. 3-way tie with Pacers and Cavs resolves as above. Pacers, then Sixers, then Cavs.)

Sixers lose to Nets:
If Magic beat Bucks, then Sixers are 7/8 seed.
If Magic lose to Bucks, Pacers 1-1 or better, and either Heat 0-2 or Heat 1-1, then Sixers are 6 seed. (Tied with Magic and win tiebreaker.)
If Magic lose to Bucks, Pacers 0-2, and either Heat 0-2 or Heat 1-1, then Sixers are 7 seed. (Same tie as above, where it's first Magic, then Pacers, then Sixers.)
If Magic lose to Bucks, Heat 2-0, and Pacers not 0-2, then it's a 3-way tie with the Magic and the Heat.* Pacers aren't in the tie and are the 5 seed. Heat get 6 seed, Sixers get 7 seed, Magic get 8 seed.
If Magic lose to Bucks, Heat 2-0, and Pacers 0-2, then it's a 4-way tie with Pacers/Sixers/Heat/Magic.** Heat are 5 seed, Sixers are 6 seed, Magic are 7 seed, Pacers are 8 seed.

===

* 3-way tiebreaker with Heat and Magic. Division leaders go first. Heat and Magic tie for division lead, and Heat win the tiebreaker to win the division. Then Sixers win the tiebreaker versus the Magic.
Heat 2-1 vs Sixers, 3-1 vs Magic. 5-2 overall.
Sixers 3-0 vs Magic, 1-2 vs Heat. 4-2 overall.
Magic 0-3 vs Sixers, 1-3 vs Heat. 1-6 overall.

** 4-way tiebreaker with Pacers, Heat and Magic. Division leaders go first. Heat and Magic tie for division lead, and Heat win the tiebreaker to win the division and the 5 seed. Now that the Magic aren't division winners, Sixers win the 3-way tie among the Magic, Pacers, and Sixers. (Note that they lose this exact same tie is the scenario above where the Magic are the division winners.) Then Magic beat the Pacers in the head-to-head tiebreaker.

Heat 2-1 vs Sixers, 3-1 vs Magic, 1-2 vs Pacers.
Sixers 3-0 vs Magic, 1-2 vs Heat, 1-2 vs Pacers.
Magic 0-3 vs Sixers, 1-3 vs Heat, 2-1 vs Pacers.
Pacers 2-1 vs Sixers, 1-2 vs Magic, 2-1 vs Heat.

Sixers 3-0 vs Magic, 1-2 vs Pacers. 4-2 overall.
Magic 0-3 vs Sixers, 2-1 vs Pacers. 2-4 overall.
Pacers 2-1 vs Sixers, 1-2 vs Magic. 3-3 overall.

*** 3-way tiebreaker with Pacers and Cavs. No division leader.
Sixers 1-2 vs Pacers, 2-2 vs Cavs. 3-4 overall.
Pacers 2-1 vs Sixers, 3-1 vs Cavs. 5-2 overall.
Cavs 2-2 vs Sixers, 1-3 vs Pacers. 3-5 overall.

(If the Cavaliers go 0-2, they could also end up in a tie with the Sixers. That's another way the Sixers could end up in a 3-way tie that they lose. I hadn't included those possibilities. In a 2-way tie, the Sixers would beat the Cavs. H-2-H, it was 2-2. Neither is a division winner, and they are not in the same division, so it goes to conference record. Cavs currently have a better conference record, but if we end up tied it's because Sixers go 2-0 while Cavs go 0-2, at which point the Sixers would win the tiebreaker.)
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#98 » by Covi_Marsh » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:58 am

Cavs win, Pacers lose
Sixers win, Magic lose
3 way tie smh
Need a Pacer and/or Magic loss.
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#99 » by Covi_Marsh » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:01 am

Bucks sat Dame tonight. Might sit him again to close the season. They’ll fall to 3rd seed and get a matchup with Indiana who they are 1-4 against. Yikes.

We might need an Indiana loss. Let’s go Trae & Murray!
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,573

Post#100 » by NYSixersFan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:04 am

If we end up the play in, we're playing the Knicks in the 1st rd if we beat the Heat.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers