G52: Sixers @ Bullets 2/10 7pm ET

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Re: G52: Sixers @ Bullets 2/10 7pm ET 

Post#81 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:44 pm

the_process wrote:
phillynative wrote:Ricky council is basically danuel house replacement, he is a energy bench wing.

But if they can develop him in the way Miami continually develops project players into rotation players, it would be a major step in the right direction.

I think he'll be better than Danuel House. I also don't think he's as dumb as Danuel House. DHouse would do stupid $hit every time he played. The Kobe Bryant step-back three that he would try was just maddening. I don't see Council attempting any of that type of lunacy in a game. He's also playing with way more urgency and hunger than House ever did. House always struck me as a player that seemed more concerned with sneaking women into his hotel rooms during a pandemic instead of actually focusing on his profession. You can tell that Council loves the game of basketball. Obviously he needs time to develop but he's doing some nice things for us every time he gets an opportunity and I think that bodes well for his future in this league. I agree, Miami seems to always hit on these type of players. Maybe it's our turn to get lucky.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,591

Post#82 » by youngcrev » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:29 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
the_process wrote:
phillynative wrote:Ricky council is basically danuel house replacement, he is a energy bench wing.

But if they can develop him in the way Miami continually develops project players into rotation players, it would be a major step in the right direction.

I think he'll be better than Danuel House. I also don't think he's as dumb as Danuel House. DHouse would do stupid $hit every time he played. The Kobe Bryant step-back three that he would try was just maddening. I don't see Council attempting any of that type of lunacy in a game. He's also playing with way more urgency and hunger than House ever did. House always struck me as a player that seemed more concerned with sneaking women into his hotel rooms during a pandemic instead of actually focusing on his profession. You can tell that Council loves the game of basketball. Obviously he needs time to develop but he's doing some nice things for us every time he gets an opportunity and I think that bodes well for his future in this league. I agree, Miami seems to always hit on these type of players. Maybe it's our turn to get lucky.

Similar build, less dumb, less skilled version Danuel House. Not a shooter, but also won't do a pump fake, step-in to step back jumper at every opportunity possible.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,146

Post#83 » by mjkvol » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:36 pm

I get the reality of the situation, but this is a fun group to watch. I love seeing Council and Smith getting a real shot to contribute with all the vets who were never going to be part of the future finally gone, and I believe that both can be legit bench pieces moving forward.

Hield can be a great addition, and will be lethal with all the space he'll have when Embiid is back, and Payne is another potential solid bench piece. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Lowry as well, even if he is cooked. I'm not concerned about this season as much as looking forward to seeing what will be done this summer, but I'm intrigued at what this group might look like if Embiid is able to return this season.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#84 » by Ben » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:24 pm

mjkvol wrote:I get the reality of the situation, but this is a fun group to watch. I love seeing Council and Smith getting a real shot to contribute with all the vets who were never going to be part of the future finally gone, and I believe that both can be legit bench pieces moving forward.

Hield can be a great addition, and will be lethal with all the space he'll have when Embiid is back, and Payne is another potential solid bench piece. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Lowry as well, even if he is cooked. I'm not concerned about this season as much as looking forward to seeing what will be done this summer, but I'm intrigued at what this group might look like if Embiid is able to return this season.

This perfectly states my sentiments. And I don't even really care that much about Embiid returning this season. As I've written here before, I really liked the early Process years when we got to see some young guys competing and hustling hard, trying to make it. I'm OK with Council being prioritized over Springer, although if I'd had my way we would have parted with someone else and played both Springer and Council during this Embiid-less period.

Franchises like Miami and Boston seem great at identifying young talent; my Sixers and my Bulls seem bad at that. But if periods of unavoidable suckiness force my teams to enter talent-evaluation mode, I'm OK with that.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,841

Post#85 » by phillynative » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:51 pm

youngcrev wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
the_process wrote:

Similar build, less dumb, less skilled version Danuel House. Not a shooter, but also won't do a pump fake, step-in to step back jumper at every opportunity possible.

Exactly. Im not saying he is an exact replica of House but he will have a similar role in this league.

I cannot bet on the sixers developing anything but he seems hardworking with a good head on his shoulder, so maybe that will come into play with his development .
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,591

Post#86 » by youngcrev » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:26 pm

phillynative wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Exactly. Im not saying he is an exact replica of House but he will have a similar role in this league.

I cannot bet on the sixers developing anything but he seems hardworking with a good head on his shoulder, so maybe that will come into play with his development .

Yeah, it would be nice to develop some cheap, young guys into rotation pieces. On the outside chance he develops his spot up shooting, he'd be a quality role player. I wonder if he gets converted/offered one of those Hinkie special type deals.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#87 » by mjkvol » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:41 pm

Ben wrote:
mjkvol wrote:I get the reality of the situation, but this is a fun group to watch. I love seeing Council and Smith getting a real shot to contribute with all the vets who were never going to be part of the future finally gone, and I believe that both can be legit bench pieces moving forward.

This perfectly states my sentiments. And I don't even really care that much about Embiid returning this season. As I've written here before, I really liked the early Process years when we got to see some young guys competing and hustling hard, trying to make it. I'm OK with Council being prioritized over Springer, although if I'd had my way we would have parted with someone else and played both Springer and Council during this Embiid-less period.

Franchises like Miami and Boston seem great at identifying young talent; my Sixers and my Bulls seem bad at that. But if periods of unavoidable suckiness force my teams to enter talent-evaluation mode, I'm OK with that.

Yep, the Springer trade is the one move that irritates me. I would have loved to see him get a real chance to develop here, and I'm convinced that the f***king Celtics will make him into a useful rotation piece.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,841

Post#88 » by phillynative » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:01 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Ben wrote:

Yep, the Springer trade is the one move that irritates me. I would have loved to see him get a real chance to develop here, and I'm convinced that the f***king Celtics will make him into a useful rotation piece.

I don't mind them him trading him, it's who they traded him to.
Why are the sixers trading a young potential (already) lock down guard to a rival team, that have had their way with you time and time again and are in a good position to continue that trend

We have a young offensive star guard who we rely heavily on that end of the floor and you just added another defender for him to have to match against , added to Holiday and White.

I bet the Celtics would never trade anything of value to the Sixers. Especially ,for comparison; a young lockdown wing defender that could possibly lock up Tatum in a season or two... :crazy:
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by mjkvol » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:05 am

phillynative wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Ben wrote:

I don't mind them him trading him, it's who they traded him to.
Why are the sixers trading a young potential (already) lock down guard to a rival team, that have had their way with you time and time again and are in a good position to continue that trend

We have a young offensive star guard who we rely heavily on that end of the floor and you just added another defender for him to have to match against , added to Holiday and White.

I bet the Celtics would never trade anything of value to the Sixers. Especially ,for comparison; a young lockdown wing defender that could possibly lock up Tatum in a season or two... :crazy:

I don't disagree with anything you said except that I'm annoyed he was traded, period. I was hoping the days of squandering young talent would be over with the departure of Glenn.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#90 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:38 am

I'm just not a fan of moving young prospects unless it gets you a star player in return. I do think Springer was being outplayed by both Council and Smith, but I still didn't think it was a good idea to give up on him. We did get a 2nd back in the deal so hopefully that pick turns into something for us. If it does...Then no harm.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,076

Post#91 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:26 pm

blargh wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:
My biggest question on Ricky in the league was his shot from distance, but then I saw him shoot 40% in the G league on decent volume. He plays with alot of sprit, always has, fun to watch.

The jumper is the key to his future, although I don't think it needs as much work as others, I also don't think he really got any looks out there in the parts of the game I saw.

I think Council is a small forward 3&D player in the making. He shoots a knuckleball three, but they're going in. The shot isn't broken or scary looking the way Springers was. Kobblehead is right, he needs a bit more consistency on his three, but the tools are there for him to do it. He just needs to keep working on things. He's a big bodied wing, this kid can take a hit in the paint, he takes a fall like a champ, he's just durable. I want to see how he does against some of the better competition in the league.

Paul Reed also shot 40%+ from 3 in the G League, and that hasn’t translated. These awkward shots are hard to get off against NBA defenses. Hopefully Council gets a chance to rework his shot from the ground up.

I did say on decent volume, it was 6 attempts a game. I know Paul did it on 4, but whoever allowed him to do that must've had their eyes closed when he shot it.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#92 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:07 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
blargh wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
I think Council is a small forward 3&D player in the making. He shoots a knuckleball three, but they're going in. The shot isn't broken or scary looking the way Springers was. Kobblehead is right, he needs a bit more consistency on his three, but the tools are there for him to do it. He just needs to keep working on things. He's a big bodied wing, this kid can take a hit in the paint, he takes a fall like a champ, he's just durable. I want to see how he does against some of the better competition in the league.

Paul Reed also shot 40%+ from 3 in the G League, and that hasn’t translated. These awkward shots are hard to get off against NBA defenses. Hopefully Council gets a chance to rework his shot from the ground up.

I did say on decent volume, it was 6 attempts a game. I know Paul did it on 4, but whoever allowed him to do that must've had their eyes closed when he shot it.

Paul Reed has got the ugliest shot I've seen since Nerlens Noel.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers