Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,992

Re: Game 44: Sixers @ Nuggets 1/27 @ 5:30 pm ET ABC Thread 

Post#101 » by Mik317 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:22 am

Murray_17 wrote:
Mik317 wrote:
Skates wrote:What a thread full of ridiculous hit takes, lol.

its the same dude as always.

don't respond and let him yell into the ether

Tbf, its more than him.

There are a lot of guys here that only post after the team loses, not even during the game. A lot of "agenda" guys, which is the weird thing to me, but it's what its i guess

the others at least switch it up a bit and some even post during the wins lol

we get it...they hate Biid and want him traded. The point has been made and noted....until it happens what is the point of harping on it...

to each their own...i just have him and a few others on ignore because its never anything of substance at this point.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#102 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:30 am

It's the same on any sports forum. I'm on a Miami Dolphins one and any time they lose it's as if someone let the flies into the house. These posters are silent...I mean dead silent when Tua has a good game for Miami, but they show up to bash him the minute he struggles. It's the same over here with Embiid. I'm used to it at this point. There are people on here who simply show up to roast Daryl Morey for some unknown reason. Happens every time a trade is made in the NBA. I don't understand it, and I'm done trying.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#103 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:26 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:It's the same on any sports forum. I'm on a Miami Dolphins one and any time they lose it's as if someone let the flies into the house. These posters are silent...I mean dead silent when Tua has a good game for Miami, but they show up to bash him the minute he struggles. It's the same over here with Embiid. I'm used to it at this point. There are people on here who simply show up to roast Daryl Morey for some unknown reason. Happens every time a trade is made in the NBA. I don't understand it, and I'm done trying.

Very true. The only other forum I go on is a UT forum, and be it football or hoops there are a handful of posters that only ever show up after losses. It's a weird thing to be a "fan" of a team and almost revel in any disappointment but never really enjoy any of the fun moments, but there are a lot of people just miserable in their own lives, and they clearly want others to share their misery.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,072

Post#104 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:44 pm

mjkvol wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:It's the same on any sports forum. I'm on a Miami Dolphins one and any time they lose it's as if someone let the flies into the house. These posters are silent...I mean dead silent when Tua has a good game for Miami, but they show up to bash him the minute he struggles. It's the same over here with Embiid. I'm used to it at this point. There are people on here who simply show up to roast Daryl Morey for some unknown reason. Happens every time a trade is made in the NBA. I don't understand it, and I'm done trying.

Very true. The only other forum I go on is a UT forum, and be it football or hoops there are a handful of posters that only ever show up after losses. It's a weird thing to be a "fan" of a team and almost revel in any disappointment but never really enjoy any of the fun moments, but there are a lot of people just miserable in their own lives, and they clearly want others to share their misery.

UK fans are certifiably dumb and enormous babies, so I find discourse with that fanbase to be infinitely worse than Philadelphia sports fans.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,795

Post#105 » by Sixersftw » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:12 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

UK fans are certifiably dumb and enormous babies, so I find discourse with that fanbase to be infinitely worse than Philadelphia sports fans.

I initially wanted to fight you because I am a dumb, enormous baby of a UK fan but.... you right.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,072

Post#106 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:40 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I initially wanted to fight you because I am a dumb, enormous baby of a UK fan but.... you right.

A specific recent event is Kentucky football bringing back the former OL coach who left us under contentious terms when he went to.... Alabama. Fans are crying that it's a bad look to bring him in... a position coach from the SEC champion Alabama. And it's not like it's a vocal minority; I'd say roughly half feel this way. Very baby brained stuff. I won't even get into Kentucky basketball where it gets even more unhinged.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#107 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:34 pm

Defending Sixers equals blaming Embiid to me, because I believe this franchise won't get better until we do the necessary thing that nobody wants to even mention. It's been too many years of the same thing and some of us just want to move forward.
The process was about being a contender instead of in the treadmill, guess where are we right now? in the last years? exactly.

Projects and processes need time, you cannot be in the 1st or 2nd year wanting to trade everyone or overreact for nothing. But this is what, the 7th year or so since our first playoffs in 2017-2018 with Embiid? I honestly think we are wasting our time doing the same thing every year, it's too much evidence at this point. We are capped, the most sensible thing would be to rebuild, we can get a nice haul of picks for Embiid, this is absolutely not trolling or anything, Embiid has too many flaws for playoffs, inability to play in the altitude is just an extra one. Think about it, let's suppose the miracle happens and we draw bucks in the 2nd round and we beat them, Embiid was finally healthy after the 1st round. Do we think this time Embiid won't get injured in the 2nd round, in ECF, in the finals? why? years and years of getting injured in the 1st round (apparently) and this year nothing of this will happen? he always struggles against Celtics in playoffs but this year it won't happen? why?
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,992

Post#108 » by Mik317 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:05 pm

but the fact is that regardless of anything...they aren't going to trade Embiid. SO the constant whining about it is a waste of time and **** up threads. You don't trade MVP talent until they ask to be traded...and even then if you are morey you still might not lol. This idea that we'd get a haul and be right back here or better is not valid especially since we owe picks lol

Joel Embiid has made this team a near lock to win 50 plus games every season and despite the **** and meltdowns in the playoffs, we have still been a game away from the conference finals 3 times. He's a part of the **** and meltdown for sure but comparing that to the Iggy era in which we averaged around 38-42 wins, was happy to win a single game in round one and never even had the chance to get angry that the team loss in admittedly sad fashion...I'll take the current **** show over that anyday. We aren't a treadmill in that there is still a path forward IMO...even if said path gets narrower and narrower the years go on its still there.

IMO This current roster/set up isn't good enough to win it all. Still too Biid reliant. IMO I don't think you can win w/ such high usage especially on both ends. Things have begun to swing back to Biid having to score 40 and hit all of his jumpers for us to win and that is not sustainable. HOWEVER, for the first time in a long time I feel like we might have a coaching advantage and its not like any of the teams above or near us are flawless either. We are still some lucky breaks away from a deep albeit flukey run to the finals AND we still have a chance (slight IMO) to improve the roster.

I love Biid. But he's not perfect. He is a flawed player but most players are. Giannis' lack of bag on offense has been stonewalled in the playoffs...outside of the year the Nets broke down and we Simmons'd out and Middleton turned into MJ in the clutch. Jokic is a beast but we just saw BBall Paul put up 30 on him and he has been helped by Murray being the all time playoff riser and they beat 2 8 seeds and a 7 seed and a imploding Suns squad. Basketball is a team sport. This mythical idea that Philly fans have that their best player HAS to carry no matter what is just stupid as **** IMO. This idea that just wanting it enough can make up for everything and that the moment their teams lose everyone on it obviously didn't want it enough and are losers and should be traded and fired is the WOAT thing about this city in terms of sports IMO. I get it peeps are emotional in the moment (I again had a mental break down game 6 lol) but holy **** it gets annoying to read from our own "fans" that the moment things get even slightly tough in the regular season of all things the constant "see he sucks and will never win, should have traded him eons ago" pop off the mere moment things suck a bit. Its boring and honestly again pointless because that type of short sighted **** is exactly what gets teams in trouble lol.

TLDR: I want to see Biid with a team that allows him to do less and thats not happening this year with the available resources so just enjoy the ups and downs of him trying to do too much, expect him to probably wear down again, and hope for some luck because they aren't going to trade him this deadline so why keep wasting everyones time whining about it now anyway?
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#109 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:16 pm

There is nothing that is forcing the GM to not trade Embiid, nothing, if he thinks it's the best route to improve Sixers future, he is free to do it. We as fans can give our opinion as to what to do to improve our team, as simple as that.
One thing is to support a project, that it needs time, etc. For instance, we need to give Nurse some time to implement his ideas, don't fire him regardless of how we do this year. But another different thing is a guy who has been in Playoffs for almost 7 years and his flaws have been exposed over and over, and he is our best player, it's evident we would be much better rebuilding, because we are going nowhere as him being our best player, there are mountains of evidence already, how many more years do we need?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:40 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

A specific recent event is Kentucky football bringing back the former OL coach who left us under contentious terms when he went to.... Alabama. Fans are crying that it's a bad look to bring him in... a position coach from the SEC champion Alabama. And it's not like it's a vocal minority; I'd say roughly half feel this way. Very baby brained stuff. I won't even get into Kentucky basketball where it gets even more unhinged.

And just imagine what the Alabama boards are going to be like if DeBoer loses a couple of early games this season. Talk about an entitled fan base. There are fools on the UT board suggesting that Josh Heupel, who resurrected the program from the garbage bin, should be fired if he doesn't win 10 games this season. I don't get it other than just wallowing in misery.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#111 » by M2J » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:52 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:I initially wanted to fight you because I am a dumb, enormous baby of a UK fan but.... you right.

And just imagine what the Alabama boards are going to be like if DeBoer loses a couple of early games this season. Talk about an entitled fan base. There are fools on the UT board suggesting that Josh Heupel, who resurrected the program from the garbage bin, should be fired if he doesn't win 10 games this season. I don't get it other than just wallowing in misery.

Our expectations have been adjusted, but I think the reigning AP coach of the year will keep us rolling. If he beats UGA his first go around, we'll fall in love, but it's not expected. Texas and UGA are going to be tough even the CNSaban
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:05 pm

M2J wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Our expectations have been adjusted, but I think the reigning AP coach of the year will keep us rolling. If he beats UGA his first go around, we'll fall in love, but it's not expected. Texas and UGA are going to be tough even the CNSaban

We're talking about the irrational segment of a fan base, which always seem to find their way to these forums. I think DeBoer was an excellent hire, but he's in an impossible spot following the best there ever was. The way the SEC is set up now, and with NIL and the ridiculous transfer rules, 9-3 is going to be a very good record, and 10 wins isn't going to be a given any more, even for Bama and UGa.
M2J
Starter

Post#113 » by M2J » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:05 pm

Mik317 wrote:but the fact is that regardless of anything...they aren't going to trade Embiid. SO the constant whining about it is a waste of time and **** up threads. You don't trade MVP talent until they ask to be traded...and even then if you are morey you still might not lol. This idea that we'd get a haul and be right back here or better is not valid especially since we owe picks lol

Joel Embiid has made this team a near lock to win 50 plus games every season and despite the **** and meltdowns in the playoffs, we have still been a game away from the conference finals 3 times. He's a part of the **** and meltdown for sure but comparing that to the Iggy era in which we averaged around 38-42 wins, was happy to win a single game in round one and never even had the chance to get angry that the team loss in admittedly sad fashion...I'll take the current **** show over that anyday. We aren't a treadmill in that there is still a path forward IMO...even if said path gets narrower and narrower the years go on its still there.

IMO This current roster/set up isn't good enough to win it all. Still too Biid reliant. IMO I don't think you can win w/ such high usage especially on both ends. Things have begun to swing back to Biid having to score 40 and hit all of his jumpers for us to win and that is not sustainable. HOWEVER, for the first time in a long time I feel like we might have a coaching advantage and its not like any of the teams above or near us are flawless either. We are still some lucky breaks away from a deep albeit flukey run to the finals AND we still have a chance (slight IMO) to improve the roster.

I love Biid. But he's not perfect. He is a flawed player but most players are. Giannis' lack of bag on offense has been stonewalled in the playoffs...outside of the year the Nets broke down and we Simmons'd out and Middleton turned into MJ in the clutch. Jokic is a beast but we just saw BBall Paul put up 30 on him and he has been helped by Murray being the all time playoff riser and they beat 2 8 seeds and a 7 seed and a imploding Suns squad. Basketball is a team sport. This mythical idea that Philly fans have that their best player HAS to carry no matter what is just stupid as **** IMO. This idea that just wanting it enough can make up for everything and that the moment their teams lose everyone on it obviously didn't want it enough and are losers and should be traded and fired is the WOAT thing about this city in terms of sports IMO. I get it peeps are emotional in the moment (I again had a mental break down game 6 lol) but holy **** it gets annoying to read from our own "fans" that the moment things get even slightly tough in the regular season of all things the constant "see he sucks and will never win, should have traded him eons ago" pop off the mere moment things suck a bit. Its boring and honestly again pointless because that type of short sighted **** is exactly what gets teams in trouble lol.

TLDR: I want to see Biid with a team that allows him to do less and thats not happening this year with the available resources so just enjoy the ups and downs of him trying to do too much, expect him to probably wear down again, and hope for some luck because they aren't going to trade him this deadline so why keep wasting everyones time whining about it now anyway?

Daryl going the cap space and trade route makes it so, they may as well trade Joel right now. 1-2 years at best after this summer to add a star, max Maxey and then build depth around a thin team with an injury prone best player. He's going to get frustrated already after they get bounced out this year. He should ask out.

Sixers have 5 2nd rounders, 3frp now...2 after the year. They could use 2 now on Murray, still end up with 3 after the year and additional 2nds and be a very flexible team. If they spend now on a Murray, they get a very movable contract too. That trade keeps them so flexible, and deep where you can maybe keep all of Batum, Oubre, Melton, Harris on friendly deals moving forward. You get expensive, but should be a favorite. They don't win... Start selling
M2J
Starter

Post#114 » by M2J » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:14 pm

mjkvol wrote:
M2J wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

We're talking about the irrational segment of a fan base, which always seem to find their way to these forums. I think DeBoer was an excellent hire, but he's in an impossible spot following the best there ever was. The way the SEC is set up now, and with NIL and the ridiculous transfer rules, 9-3 is going to be a very good record, and 10 wins isn't going to be a given any more, even for Bama and UGa.

Of course at 72 years old it makes sense for him to retire. But I do feel like if Coach Saban stayed for a couple of years he would see that ultimately it will become more about coaching again because of the new playoffs structure. Where you can lose two or three games and still play in the playoffs. You're losing more players with transfers of course. But you can build your team to be ready at the end of the year just like Bama did this year, because having 1 loss essentially means nothing anymore. 2 keeps you square in the picture and 3 may get it done still .... Plus all the real contenders are in 2 conferences, so that would be weighted into it
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:54 pm

M2J wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
M2J wrote:

Of course at 72 years old it makes sense for him to retire. But I do feel like if Coach Saban stayed for a couple of years he would see that ultimately it will become more about coaching again because of the new playoffs structure. Where you can lose two or three games and still play in the playoffs. You're losing more players with transfers of course. But you can build your team to be ready at the end of the year just like Bama did this year, because having 1 loss essentially means nothing anymore. 2 keeps you square in the picture and 3 may get it done still .... Plus all the real contenders are in 2 conferences, so that would be weighted into it

Much like Jay Wright, I just believe Saban wanted no part of this brave new world, where you're not only recruiting HS kids, but you have to re-recruit your roster after every season and play the portal game. I get the idea of the kids wanting a piece of the pie that greed and ridiculous amounts of money have created, but I hate what the college game is becoming, with rivalries being eliminated and the playoff being the end all. Can't blame guys like that who have been successful for a long time getting out now.
M2J
Starter

Post#116 » by M2J » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:58 pm

mjkvol wrote:
M2J wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Much like Jay Wright, I just believe Saban wanted no part of this brave new world, where you're not only recruiting HS kids, but you have to re-recruit your roster after every season and play the portal game. I get the idea of the kids wanting a piece of the pie that greed and ridiculous amounts of money have created, but I hate what the college game is becoming, with rivalries being eliminated and the playoff being the end all. Can't blame guys like that who have been successful for a long time getting out now.

It's a total zoo right now. Never did I think that NIL would be a flat out public recruiting tool
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,841

Post#117 » by phillynative » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:56 pm

Mik317 wrote:

I agree with this. I think his high usage is not only bad for the team but also for him. Right now he is our only shot creator , rim protector and arguably our best playmaker. He has been injured just about every playoffs and the sixers each season continue to give him such a high usage during the regular season, only for him to burn out in the end. He plays like KD at 7ft2 280 and he's still mightly clumsy while being injury prone. It almost seems like a hampered playoff run is inevitable and his level of play drops off. Which can be discouraging...

I can understand some of the frustration from fans it's the same thing every season with this team. This organization IMO have not only managed Embiid poorly from the start of his career but have also struggled to put the pieces around him that fit and could help get him and the sixers over the edge.

I think Embiid has become overly concerned with the stats and record breaking. As much I love Embiid but as a Sixer fan first I don't give a sh*t at this point. I want him to dominate in the playoffs and take my team over the top.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:10 am

M2J wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
M2J wrote:

It's a total zoo right now. Never did I think that NIL would be a flat out public recruiting tool

It's the wild west, really, since the NCAA essentially abdicated its role as the arbiter of college sports and allowed the federal government and the courts to get involved. This should have been nipped in the bud a decade ago, with parameters being set, but now the genie is out of the bottle.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers