ImageImageImage

Game 42: Spurs @ Sixers 1/22 @ 7 pm ET Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,106

Re: Game 42: Spurs @ Sixers 1/22 @ 7 pm ET Thread 

Post#101 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:17 am

Embiid P wrote:Any chance Morey can poach Vassell before he becomes a legit star? I'd rather him over Murray and the others at this point.

I was thinking the same thing all night. Go get this kid if he can be gotten.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,604

Post#102 » by NYSixersFan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:20 am

Incredible by Embiid. That's why it will be even more infuriating if all the fraud GM does is trade a few 2nd round picks for Delon Wright.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,075

Post#103 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:22 am

Might watch basketball the rest of your life and not sit down for a whole game and see anything like that
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#104 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:23 am

NYSixersFan wrote:Incredible by Embiid. That's why it will be even more infuriating if all the fraud GM does is trade a few 2nd round picks for Delon Wright.

Tell us, what should the "fraud" GM do? What is this magic trade that will be our ticket to the finals?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#105 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:24 am

Sixerscan wrote:Might watch basketball the rest of your life and not sit down for a whole game and see anything like that

A mid season game against one of the worst teams in the league, no less.
NYSixersFan
Analyst

Post#106 » by NYSixersFan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:58 am

mjkvol wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:Incredible by Embiid. That's why it will be even more infuriating if all the fraud GM does is trade a few 2nd round picks for Delon Wright.

Tell us, what should the "fraud" GM do? What is this magic trade that will be our ticket to the finals?

The first thing he needs to do is stop being a fraud. I have no faith in this guy whatsoever. He's done nothing in 3.5 years except get us into and out of the James Harden experience.

Bottom line...there will be trades to be made that can significantly increase our chances of winning, but it will be at the cost of cap space this summer.

I hope I'm wrong...If he quits being a fraud and gets the job done, I will praise him. I'll believe it when I see it.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#107 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 am

Tonight was a "where were you" moment. Wemby will never forget it, you can count on that. 10 years from now when he's dominating the league he'll remember his first H2H with Embiid. Tonight was a tattoo, a stoppage in time. If you got to witness it, then that's awesome. I can still remember the night Iverson dropped 60. I couldn't watch the game, but updates kept coming across the TV of the college game I was watching that night.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,861

Post#108 » by Phila Tough » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:16 am

NYSixersFan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

The first thing he needs to do is stop being a fraud. I have no faith in this guy whatsoever. He's done nothing in 3.5 years except get us into and out of the James Harden experience.

Bottom line...there will be trades to be made that can significantly increase our chances of winning, but it will be at the cost of cap space this summer.

I hope I'm wrong...If he quits being a fraud and gets the job done, I will praise him. I'll believe it when I see it.

You say this like teams were lining up to give us fair value (at the time) for Ben Simmons. Morey being able to get Harden for Simmons and then flipping a disgruntled Harden out for a nice haul is damn near black magic. The team got better and gained flexibility in the process.
NYSixersFan
Analyst

Post#109 » by NYSixersFan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:28 am

Phila Tough wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

You say this like teams were lining up to give us fair value (at the time) for Ben Simmons. Morey being able to get Harden for Simmons and then flipping a disgruntled Harden out for a nice haul is damn near black magic. The team got better and gained flexibility in the process.

Tyrese Haliburton
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#110 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:31 am

Phila Tough wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Drafted Maxey (and I Joe and Bball Paul in the 2nd), brought Niang in for cheap, Drummond for cheap, added Melton, brought in Oubre and Pet Bev for nothing, Seth Curry for trash, got Nurse. He also hasn’t had too many clear blunders or things that majorly cost us.

I’m not a huge Morey guy and think he’s overly cautious and overly eager to make moves that are clear wins, but hard to see what people are furious about. Unless people have weird massive expectation for him, treat him like he’s a flop unless he does superhuman things?
NYSixersFan
Analyst

Post#111 » by NYSixersFan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:39 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:

Drafted Maxey (and I Joe and Bball Paul in the 2nd), brought Niang in for cheap, Drummond for cheap, added Melton, brought in Oubre and Pet Bev for nothing, Seth Curry for trash, got Nurse. He also hasn’t had too many clear blunders or things that majorly cost us.

I’m not a huge Morey guy and think he’s overly cautious and overly eager to make moves that are clear wins, but hard to see what people are furious about. Unless people have weird massive expectation for him, treat him like he’s a flop unless he does superhuman things?

He took over a 2nd round playoff team and 3.5 years later they are still that. His two big moves involved Harden.

He gets very little credit for Maxey as he was hired a few weeks before the draft. He drafted Joe and then cut him. He's done a few nice things with role players, but on the whole, he's been a fraud.

The guy somehow has people believing that both Harden moves were a stroke of genius. amazing.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,790

Post#112 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:00 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:

Daryl Morey manages things like a skilled poker player, patiently collecting assets on the side. He waits for the right moment when these assets become valuable in a trade that makes sense for both teams. This approach helps him avoid bidding wars due to our limited assets.

His patience is admirable, seen when he secured Kelly Oubre for the minimum by waiting for the right opportunity. Morey's basketball understanding goes beyond adding talent; he adds players who fit well, exemplified by the Seth Curry addition.

In handling the Harden trade, Morey showed composure. He resisted pressure to trade Maxey initially, waiting for a better deal that eventually brought Harden for a lower cost. Post-Harden, he positioned the team strongly, obtaining max cap space and making sensible trades.

Morey's strength lies in his basketball knowledge and patience. When he acts, it's without overpaying, maintaining flexibility in case things don't go as planned. His ability to seize opportunities without unnecessary spending sets him apart in team management.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,098

Post#113 » by Embiid P » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:23 am

mjkvol wrote:
Embiid P wrote:Any chance Morey can poach Vassell before he becomes a legit star? I'd rather him over Murray and the others at this point.

I was thinking the same thing all night. Go get this kid if he can be gotten.

He would flourish as the third banana on this team and would get easy looks with Embiid and Maxey's gravity. Not to mention his contract, while long, is relatively cheap at least compared to LaVine, Murray and others.

Would give up all of our current assets save for of course Embiid and Maxey to get him. Unfortunately IDK if that's enough.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,335

Post#114 » by Murray_17 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:36 am

i went to sleep when he had 54 pts lol.

What an idiot i'm
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,203

Post#115 » by M2J » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:07 am

Haven't watched it yet, just the end. I remember when Dame scored 50. The debate was who else could do it and who is next. Luka was the consensus, and Joel was an option, but his lack of 3s was a concern.

Doing something, with that volume... Banging on the paint and getting hit to get to the line.... Really sick. Respect to Jo!
phifans
Veteran
And1: 587

Post#116 » by phifans » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:07 am

76ciology wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:

Daryl Morey manages things like a skilled poker player, patiently collecting assets on the side. He waits for the right moment when these assets become valuable in a trade that makes sense for both teams. This approach helps him avoid bidding wars due to our limited assets.

His patience is admirable, seen when he secured Kelly Oubre for the minimum by waiting for the right opportunity. Morey's basketball understanding goes beyond adding talent; he adds players who fit well, exemplified by the Seth Curry addition.

In handling the Harden trade, Morey showed composure. He resisted pressure to trade Maxey initially, waiting for a better deal that eventually brought Harden for a lower cost. Post-Harden, he positioned the team strongly, obtaining max cap space and making sensible trades.

Morey's strength lies in his basketball knowledge and patience. When he acts, it's without overpaying, maintaining flexibility in case things don't go as planned. His ability to seize opportunities without unnecessary spending sets him apart in team management.

Morey didn't collect any assets for us at all. He almost wasted all of them after getting Harden in 2021. We're almost screwed up until James Harden decided he needs to opt-in and forced a trade to Cllipers which saved Morey's ass by giving him some extra picks he gave away (and even that deal is majorly managed by his boss Joshua Harris lol).

And a guy who has enough basketball knowledge would not try to bring in James Harden in 2021 when he can get Haliburton for much less assets. Morey is just a guy who loves big name stars who can not acknowledge any real talents.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,203

Post#117 » by M2J » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:26 am

phifans wrote:
76ciology wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Morey didn't collect any assets for us at all. He almost wasted all of them after getting Harden in 2021. We're almost screwed up until James Harden decided he needs to opt-in and forced a trade to Cllipers which saved Morey's ass by giving him some extra picks he gave away (and even that deal is majorly managed by his boss Joshua Harris lol).

And a guy who has enough basketball knowledge would not try to bring in James Harden in 2021 when he can get Haliburton for much less assets. Morey is just a guy who loves big name stars who can not acknowledge any real talents.

To be fair, I would imagine he could've gotten Haliburton plus draft capital for taking on Buddy Hield.

Mind you I can find you several articles where there were reports of Morey wanting too much for Ben Simmons, not that nobody wanted Ben Simmons.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,098

Post#118 » by Embiid P » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:42 am

phifans wrote:
76ciology wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Yeah, in hindsight, we all know that he screwed up by trading for Harden instead of Haliburton but at the same time, he undid his own mistake by not giving Harden the money he wanted which is what led to Harden forcing his way out. He also undid another of his mistakes by including Tucker in the trade.

If nothing else, he's shown that he's able to learn from his mistakes rather than doubling down on them.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 587

Post#119 » by phifans » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:09 am

Embiid P wrote:
phifans wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Yeah, in hindsight, we all know that he screwed up by trading for Harden instead of Haliburton but at the same time, he undid his own mistake by not giving Harden the money he wanted which is what led to Harden forcing his way out. He also undid another of his mistakes by including Tucker in the trade.

If nothing else, he's shown that he's able to learn from his mistakes rather than doubling down on them.

Highly doubt the decision of not extending Harden is up to Morey. And neither did the ultimate trade we make.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 728

Post#120 » by Kova » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:16 am

Take a bow Joel Embiid. Proud of you big fella.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers