Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Re: Game 36: Sixers @ Hawks 1/10 @ 7:30 pm ET Thread 

Post#121 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:16 am

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

‪Thats why players dont play defense nowadays. Specially guards. Because they have to stay close and guess where the player with the ball will go, where wings and bigs have the length to sag off giving them more time to react.

Embiid also does it and we like it.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#122 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:42 am

Is any 76er fan surprised that Harris got blocked in OT. Or double dribbled against the Celtics in a game we could have won. I like Harris as a person, from what I know of him. But this guy has been paid second banana money for a while now and always seems to come up short when the team needs him most.

When Springer was in the game he played some awesome defense against Young and anybody else he was messed up on. If only the guy could shoot consistently.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Kova
Veteran
And1: 728

Post#123 » by Kova » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:02 pm

Shame. We played a decent game. But to win we gotta tighten up our defense. We can't play to outscore the other team if we don't have Embiid in the lineup. Just not enough scoring against teams like Atl that have 5-6 scorers on the team.

Pretty rough patch for us. Hoping we can turn it around soon.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#124 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:19 pm

We need another scorer and we need another defensive player. I was stoked when we got KJ, Cov, and Batum from the Clippers, but outside of Batum who didn't even want to be here, those guys have given us next to nothing. The entire heartbeat of this team has been Embiid being Superman every night and Maxey hitting circus shots and thirty foot threes. It's very reminiscent of the early 90s teams where it was Barkley, Hawkins, and a bunch of bums.
I can definitely relate to the thought that none of this matters without Embiid anyway but good teams find a way to win even without their best player. We're a lottery team without Embiid and that just isn't a good look. Take the Bulls teams during the Jordan retirement...Pippen carried them to 50 win seasons. The Celtics of now can take turns sitting Porzingis, Brown, and Tatum and still win handily.

This current Sixer team is not Finals material. Those good vibes will give birth to bad mojo before too long. Tobias continues to frustrate, the Kelly Oubre shine has worn off and we see now why nobody wanted him (as predicted), the harsh truth about Embiid is that he's injury prone and outwardly selfish when it comes to personal accolades. Then there's Maxey who has been stellar. But the recipe to stopping him is so simple and unlike smaller guards like Iverson he can't figure out how to combat that. I mean put a bigger guard on him that is athletic enough to stay with him and he is limited to heroic attempts 25+ feet out. We're going to get smoked in the playoffs based off of what I've seen. At this point, I hope Jo makes it through the season. IDK, I'm down right now with the losses.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#125 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:19 pm

Congratulations to Embiid for the record, it sure is helping our team a lot!
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#126 » by Ben » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:50 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:We need another scorer and we need another defensive player. I was stoked when we got KJ, Cov, and Batum from the Clippers, but outside of Batum who didn't even want to be here, those guys have given us next to nothing. The entire heartbeat of this team has been Embiid being Superman every night and Maxey hitting circus shots and thirty foot threes. It's very reminiscent of the early 90s teams where it was Barkley, Hawkins, and a bunch of bums.
I can definitely relate to the thought that none of this matters without Embiid anyway but good teams find a way to win even without their best player. We're a lottery team without Embiid and that just isn't a good look. Take the Bulls teams during the Jordan retirement...Pippen carried them to 50 win seasons. The Celtics of now can take turns sitting Porzingis, Brown, and Tatum and still win handily.

This current Sixer team is not Finals material. Those good vibes will give birth to bad mojo before too long. Tobias continues to frustrate, the Kelly Oubre shine has worn off and we see now why nobody wanted him (as predicted), the harsh truth about Embiid is that he's injury prone and outwardly selfish when it comes to personal accolades. Then there's Maxey who has been stellar. But the recipe to stopping him is so simple and unlike smaller guards like Iverson he can't figure out how to combat that. I mean put a bigger guard on him that is athletic enough to stay with him and he is limited to heroic attempts 25+ feet out. We're going to get smoked in the playoffs based off of what I've seen. At this point, I hope Jo makes it through the season. IDK, I'm down right now with the losses.

Agree with absolutely everything. I'd like to add that for all of the harsh criticism Tobias has gotten in this thread-- it's quite true that he's not an alpha and not a crunch-time guy, as we've all known for a long time-- he did score 32 points on 50% FG, he did log 10 boards, his +/- was the same as the other starters. The issue is not that he sucks on-court, it's that he's gotten paid star money to be the 3rd or 4th best starter. That's not a new problem, and it's about to end this year. But it's not super easy to find other guys who'll give the same performance for vastly less money.

At any rate, there should be no question that (as you write) this team isn't Finals material and probably can't even get out of the 2nd round, if that. We're all awaiting a magical infusion but each time we get hope, other teams improve as well (Celts, Knicks, etc). I'm left simply hoping that Morey has something great up his sleeve.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#127 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:06 pm

Ben wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:We need another scorer and we need another defensive player. I was stoked when we got KJ, Cov, and Batum from the Clippers, but outside of Batum who didn't even want to be here, those guys have given us next to nothing. The entire heartbeat of this team has been Embiid being Superman every night and Maxey hitting circus shots and thirty foot threes. It's very reminiscent of the early 90s teams where it was Barkley, Hawkins, and a bunch of bums.

Agree with absolutely everything. I'd like to add that for all of the harsh criticism Tobias has gotten in this thread-- it's quite true that he's not an alpha and not a crunch-time guy, as we've all known for a long time-- he did score 32 points on 50% FG, he did log 10 boards, his +/- was the same as the other starters. The issue is not that he sucks on-court, it's that he's gotten paid star money to be the 3rd or 4th best starter. That's not a new problem, and it's about to end this year. But it's not super easy to find other guys who'll give the same performance for vastly less money.

At any rate, there should be no question that (as you write) this team isn't Finals material and probably can't even get out of the 2nd round, if that. We're all awaiting a magical infusion but each time we get hope, other teams improve as well (Celts, Knicks, etc). I'm left simply hoping that Morey has something great up his sleeve.

This will most likely have to wait until the summer. Everyone keeps talking about the two max slots opened up, but I just don't see that as a reality. We need a bigger guard that can handle the basketball and create in a halfcourt setting. To me that player is Spencer Dinwiddie based off of those attributes. We also need a forward that can guard multiple positions and hit an open three. To me those are options we can explore around the deadline. Make an offer for De'Andre Hunter, make an offer for Jerami Grant. I'm sure we can get Cronin (JRoy) to agree to something. You add two players like that and we're good I think. You can win with those guys without Embiid when his yearly injury bug hits him. You might be able to steal a playoff series with those guys if Embiid can't go. Sadly, that's where we're at at this point. You need contingency plans for when Embiid decides it's time to be shelved...Which is multiple times every fking year! I may be over it at this point. I'm not throwing in the towel, but Christ Almighty!!! Maybe it's time.

Poster MIK mentioned adding more youth to this team. I think that is a great idea. Swing for that and maybe you get a hit. There's guys out there with untapped potential just waiting. Moses Moody would be a bet I'd take if we're naming names. Then again, it's not like we play the young guys that we have. Reed is clinging to the backup center position only because Bamba is a fragile dumpster fire when he's out there. Neither Springer or Martin can handle the basketball or shoot to save their lives. It's so frustrating because from an athletic and physical perspective, both Martin and Springer are exactly what this team needs at those positions.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,203

Post#128 » by M2J » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:52 pm

Been saying they needed more offense since the beginning of the year. Either another movement shooter or creator plus.

It's hard to take games without Joel or Maxey seriously because as stated earlier you've basically traded Harden away for Batum at this point, and he's been missing games. They have to get some talent

However, Oubre's shine hasn't worn off, he's still playing well. I thought it was a mistake by nurse to bring him off the bench last night. Especially if Melton is on a restriction of minutes, it just seems to have thrown off the chemistry some.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#129 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:57 pm

M2J wrote:

Been saying they needed more offense since the beginning of the year. Either another movement shooter or creator plus.

It's hard to take games without Joel or Maxey seriously because as stated earlier you've basically traded Harden away for Batum at this point, and he's been missing games. They have to get some talent

I don't even think Covington cares at this point. The guy is just getting paid. Batum at least competes, but for every game he plays, he sits for three more. KJ Martin is looking more like a fringe NBA player after what appeared to be a decent season with Houston just last year. Jaden Springer...I'm sorry, but aside from his defense, he just isn't going to make it in this league without a reliable outside shot. Paul Reed has been awful this season. He's getting cooked on the regular by centers that have zero offensive abilities.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#130 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:14 pm

So guys like Springer, "Bball" Paul, or other stupid nicknames, in reality suck? who would've thought? after all the stupid hype from our posters.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers