ImageImageImage

Sixers 2024 Cap Space and Pascal Siakam

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,548

Re: Sixers 2024 Cap Space and Pascal Siakam 

Post#21 » by elchengue20 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:07 am

His shooting is coming to life, 5 threes made today, shooting 60% from three in 6 games played this month.

That's the only thing that really worried me about him, but he seems to be fine.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,224

Post#22 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:29 pm

Siakam's block percentage is a career low 0.7%.
Siakam's steal percentage is a career low 1.1%.

The fact that he can't shoot and would be a bad offensive fit is troublesome, but the more concerning fact is that he is now garbage at the thing he was supposed to be good at.

I just can't get behind Siakam. I think he'd be an awful acquisition.
GuideDog
Junior
And1: 138

Post#23 » by GuideDog » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:41 pm

Siakam is probably the most talented player available right now. Sixers should get the best talent and go from there. He defend well and has proven he can handle the playoffs. He would be great on defense, to help Joel, against the Celtics and Bucks
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#24 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:51 pm

Chasing "talent" with no regard for fit is how organizations fail to achieve their goals.

If defense and shooting are traits we're looking to help put us over the hump, Siakam is the opposite of who we should be targeting.
GuideDog
Junior

Post#25 » by GuideDog » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:14 pm

Siakam is the best available two-way big man. He's come out of his shooting slump and is actually on fire from 3. His defense--- including shot blocking and rebounding is very good. He can guard Tatum and Giannis in the playoffs so that its not only on Joel's shoulders. Tobias isn't good enough to help.
GuideDog
Junior

Post#26 » by GuideDog » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:23 pm

Sixers should go all-in, use all their expiring k and draft assets, to get both Siakam and Dejounte. The window for Embiid is now. He's a generational talent. Siakiam and Murray are two-way players and we have enough expiring contracts and draft assets to get them both.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 846

Post#27 » by zaz102 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:44 pm

Siakam is a bad three point shooter in general and domain is the paint where JoJo should be operating most of the time. On the offensive side, he's definitely not a good fit.

In addition, if we got Murray and Siakam, you pretty much have to surround the team with minimum guys. The rest of the roster would probably be hot garbage next year.

Even though he wouldn't be my first choice, Murray makes a lot of sense. Siakam is a very good player that is a bad fit.

As for Tobias, I'm on the fence. I think anybody you trade him for would be a downgrade. If he's an expiring in a trade, why not just use Morris, RoCo, etc. And could he be talked into coming back on a fair value deal ($15-20M) and be the fourth best player on the team? Still debating that in my head.
GuideDog
Junior

Post#28 » by GuideDog » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:51 pm

Do you like a package of Dejounte and Bogdanovich more? I would not include Tobias in the deal.
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by zaz102 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:48 pm

GuideDog wrote:Do you like a package of Dejounte and Bogdanovich more? I would not include Tobias in the deal.
I like both players, but I would only go after one. There's only enough time for Maxey, Melton, and one of those guys.

I would go after a high level forward. I would go for a star (or close to it) forward that fits with a high level role player guard (like Bogdanovic). If that didn't work, I would try to go after a star level (or close to it) guard (like Murray) with a high level role player forward.

Something like

Embiid
Harris & DFS / Batum, Oubre
Maxey & Murray /Melton

Or

Embiid
Harris & Grant / Batum, Oubre
Maxey & Bogdanovic / Melton
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#30 » by tk76 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:34 am

Morey is definitely in a trick spot. Big picture there are 3 types of moves that are available:

1: Deadline deal. Since the true high level great fit guys like OG, Mikal and Larie are not gettable, a move will be mostly a floor raiser instead of a true ceiling raising move. Either multiple role players who fit a need, or a near All-Star who has a questionable fit or contract. As said elsewhere, the main advantage is having Bird Rights this summer to bring back your depth pieces. If Sixers go this route, I'd prefer younger players like Murray, who paired with Maxey could greatly extend the Embiid contention window.

2. FA signing. Siakam or a bunch of value contracts. Problem is no great targets are available (Kawhai, PG3, OG), and you'd have to let go a bunch of depth pieces (like Melton/batum) in order to open up the cap space.

3. Not discussed as much and risky is the Draft Day trade for a star. Sixers will have access to 5 1st rounders to trade on draft day, which gets you in the market for perfect fits like Larie/Mikal... if those players are on the market. And that's the problem, you could have 5 first rounders and lose out to OKC, or maybe no one you want hits the market. If you fail, the you are stuck in option #2, FA, which is probably the worst outcome.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,624

Post#31 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:15 am

No thanks to Siakam. I was all about this idea last summer, but I've changed my stance on it. He's a bad fit here. No Embiid and he'd be a great fit, but the two together will not work. Siakam is going to command 40 million as a free agent. If we're looking to spend that kind of money it needs to be elsewhere.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,805

Post#32 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:47 am

Stormi had a great post about Siakam’s shooting

So the "shooting" section of any players profile on bbref has the corner 3s stats further on the right of the chart. The frequency of them that are taken and the rate that they hit on them.

Pascal's been shooting 50% from the corner this season so his accuracy over that time frame has gone up to 39.6% with about ~30% of his threes coming from the corner.

He's shot ~3.9 threes per game over that window with 28.2% of them coming from the corner, so about ~1.01 corner threes per game.

I went and checked Tobias' numbers over the same passage of time. ~4.2 threes per game with 24.1% of them coming from the corner (hitting them at a 41% clip).

So funnily enough also ~ 1.01 corner threes per game. So although it might seem like it, you're not in reality losing any shooting.

Had a similar post on Tobi’s 3PTA and % not that different from Siakam in the past 3-4 seasons
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#33 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:50 am

Siakam
On Court +.7 NetRtg
Off Court -5.4 NetRtg (2nd best on the team)

Scottie Barnes
On Court -3.2 NetRtg
Off Court +3.9 NetRtg (lowest on the team)

I dont know if its by design that Raps is manipulating the numbers
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by zaz102 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:18 pm

76ciology wrote:Stormi had a great post about Siakam’s shooting

So the "shooting" section of any players profile on bbref has the corner 3s stats further on the right of the chart. The frequency of them that are taken and the rate that they hit on them.

Pascal's been shooting 50% from the corner this season so his accuracy over that time frame has gone up to 39.6% with about ~30% of his threes coming from the corner.

He's shot ~3.9 threes per game over that window with 28.2% of them coming from the corner, so about ~1.01 corner threes per game.

I went and checked Tobias' numbers over the same passage of time. ~4.2 threes per game with 24.1% of them coming from the corner (hitting them at a 41% clip).

So funnily enough also ~ 1.01 corner threes per game. So although it might seem like it, you're not in reality losing any shooting.

Had a similar post on Tobi’s 3PTA and % not that different from Siakam in the past 3-4 seasons
Tobias has been a poor three point shooter for the team as well. That's a big part as why Tobi has been making me pull my hair out. I would not go out and get another bad three point shooter when I have an opportunity get a good one.

In addition, Siakam is a poor shooter for the most part outside the paint.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#35 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:33 pm

zaz102 wrote:

Tobias has been a poor three point shooter for the team as well. That's a big part as why Tobi has been making me pull my hair out. I would not go out and get another bad three point shooter when I have an opportunity get a good one.

Like what I posted months ago “have Tobias hurt our ‘spacing’?”
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by tk76 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:41 pm

Link to a detailed shot chart for Siakam.

Read on Twitter
?t=dnheSqj2GKkqSMCtwqcubQ&s=19
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by tk76 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:43 pm

Link to Tobias Statmuse short chat for comparison.

https://statm.us/e/CPbEHk4Dr
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by tk76 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:46 pm

Ironically, Tobias is only great from the R corner, Siakam only great from the left corner. So in theory they would complement each other as floor spacers. But don't think either would like to be camped out in the corner.
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by zaz102 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:11 pm

76ciology wrote:
zaz102 wrote:

Like what I posted months ago “have Tobias hurt our ‘spacing’?”
Yes, Tobias has missed or evaded plenty of wide open 3s that really hurt the team. And to sound like a broken record, Tobias doesn't operate in the paint like Siakam.

There's reasons that Siakam can be justified, but to me, saying he is about as good as Tobias as a three point shooter this year isn't one of them.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#40 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:01 pm

Siakam was a bad asset for the Raptors back when they maxed him at age 26. Don't know how it's remotely a good idea to max him now that he's about to turn 30 and will be exiting his athletic prime. Also, where is the defense twitter keeps mentioning? His defensive numbers have been putrid since Kawhi left.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers