- 2027-28: $53,196,000
- Total: Four years, $192,192,000

Outside Team:
- 2024-25: $42,900,000
- 2025-26: $45,045,000
- 2026-27: $47,190,000
- 2027-28: $49,335,000
- Total: Four years, $184,470,000

He’s incentivized to choose where he wants to re-sign this season, so he’s almost certainly not going to be a TRUE free agent.

Siakam rejects extension offer from Kings:

Siakam's reluctance to join Sacramento, coupled with potential contract issues, jeopardizes a trade deal, as reported by ESPN's Damien Barling. Concerns include the Kings lacking cap space to replace key players if Siakam departs.

Golden State Warriors' financial considerations:

With approximately $60M committed to CP3 and Wiggins next season and the impending re-signing of Klay Thompson, trading for Siakam may not align with the Warriors' strategy of prioritizing players on rookie contracts like Kuminga, Moody, Podz, and Trayce.

Would the Warriors – who have paid a staggering $340 million in luxury taxes the past two seasons and are projected to pay out another $186.8 million by the conclusion of 2023-24 – want to sign a then 30-year-old Siakam to a max deal? Or would hanging to a younger, more affordable and homegrown Kuminga be a prudent path to an uncertain future?

if Kuminga is on the table, it would be a mistake to assume the Raptors would be in a rush to take on the remaining three years and $82 million that Andrew Wiggins has on his contract, given the positional and contractual overlap with newly acquired RJ Barrett. Paying nearly $50 million a season to a pair of GTA small forwards is probably not prudent cap management.

If Warriors are able to use CP3’s salary as a filler. Warriors can Wiggins, Siakam and Draymond play together?

Siakam's stance on the Hawks:

Rumors suggest Siakam won't re-sign with the Hawks, especially after they didn't commit to the "Bird Year Max" during the 2023 draft. This decision adds another layer to Siakam's free agency considerations.

Alternative options for Siakam:

Considering team dynamics:
- Magic: Abundance of power forwards.
- Jazz: Notable depth in the power forward position.
- Detroit: Historical challenges in attracting top-tier talent.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Re: Sixers 2024 Cap Space and Pascal Siakam 

Post#2 » by the_process » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:12 pm

Those numbers seem low first off.

Second off, I think the far and away best fit for Siakam and the team most likely to
max him is Detroit.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#3 » by brannigan73 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:06 pm

The Sixers should not be worrying about 2024 cap space projections. Its the least flexible thing they could do to wait for the offseason. Its not really hard to understand but Ill explain it again. Say we wait until the offseason and we can sign a guy like Siakam. So we are big three led by Siakam, Maxey, and Embiid. The rest of the team would be garbage. Goodbye: Harris, Batum, Covington, Oubre, Marucs Morris, Korkmaz, Martin, and Melton for nothing. The time for the Sixers to make a bunch of moves and shape the future is the next month not the offseason. They have the expiring salary filler and picks to make trades now and you want to have player's bird rights you dont trade you have to renounce guys if you don't trade them to get that 40 mil in scap space. Its really not difficult.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#4 » by AI_Efficiency » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:24 pm

brannigan73 wrote:The Sixers should not be worrying about 2024 cap space projections. Its the least flexible thing they could do to wait for the offseason. Its not really hard to understand but Ill explain it again. Say we wait until the offseason and we can sign a guy like Siakam. So we are big three led by Siakam, Maxey, and Embiid. The rest of the team would be garbage. Goodbye: Harris, Batum, Covington, Oubre, Marucs Morris, Korkmaz, Martin, and Melton for nothing. The time for the Sixers to make a bunch of moves and shape the future is the next month not the offseason. They have the expiring salary filler and picks to make trades now and you want to have player's bird rights you dont trade you have to renounce guys if you don't trade them to get that 40 mil in scap space. Its really not difficult.

I think this would be ideal, but we only have 3 firsts and no good young prospects to trade. Free agent Siakam might still be be better than trading all our picks for someone that doesn’t move the needle. I’m not sold that 3 first rounders and salary gets anyone good right now with so many other potential buyers, but I guess we will see.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,098

Post#5 » by Embiid P » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:02 pm

Assuming no major trades are made before the deadline and given the relatively slim pickings in this free agency class, I honestly believe that Morey will either try to trade for a disgruntled star player in the offseason or sign players to one year deals (Maxey notwithstanding) and hold off until the 2025 deadline if need be.

Whether or not you agree with the "kick the can down the road" strategy until a star player becomes available is your opinion but this is what I believe that Morey will do.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#6 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:46 pm

Embiid P wrote:Assuming no major trades are made before the deadline and given the relatively slim pickings in this free agency class, I honestly believe that Morey will either try to trade for a disgruntled star player in the offseason or sign players to one year deals (Maxey notwithstanding) and hold off until the 2025 deadline if need be.

Whether or not you agree with the "kick the can down the road" strategy until a star player becomes available is your opinion but this is what I believe that Morey will do.

How long do you think Embiid can keep playing at this high level? Kicking the can down the road is not really a sound strategy with an MVP player like Joel, who always has injury concerns. Morey needs to make something happen and not just wait of something to happen.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Post#7 » by Murray_17 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:40 am

Siakam is gonna be 30 by the time his extension hit.

Giving him the full 5 max is gonna look bad pretty by his 3 year
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,788

Post#8 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:56 am

Murray_17 wrote:Siakam is gonna be 30 by the time his extension hit.

Giving him the full 5 max is gonna look bad pretty by his 3 year

If you look at his salary structure, you’re right that giving him the full five max is going to look bad, especially by his fourth year. And thats why Hawks, Warriors and Kings can’t make a deal with the Raps.

But considering our current salary cap unlike those three teams (where were pretty much almost starting from scratch), we can absorb his contract and still have flexibility in the next three years to add depth. Morey has consistently found productive players for cheap in the last four seasons. That make us a frontrunner to sign him, as many in the outside world believe because of our position.

By the fourth and fifth years, we'll either have won the championship or be in a rebuilding phase. In both scenarios, the investment will be worth it, and the salary won't matter much to the team and would be near expiring.

The crucial thing is positioning ourselves to win in the next three years. Currently, the clear answer is Siakam. The alternative is a hail mary, hoping a really good player asks to be traded to the Sixers.

Moreover, going to sign him straight up, we won't lose any of our assets, preserving future trade flexibility.

And really, what's the alternative? Saving this cap to re-sign Tobi and Oubre?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Murray_17
RealGM

Post#9 » by Murray_17 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:34 am

76ciology wrote:
The crucial thing is positioning ourselves to win in the next three years. Currently, the clear answer is Siakam. The alternative is a hail mary, hoping a really good player asks to be traded to the Sixers.

"clear answer" is really a stretch in this sentence
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#10 » by brannigan73 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:48 am

I have a hard time believing that if the Sixers really wanted Siakam they couldnt get him for something like Harris and two firsts and maybe the Clipper swap. Even if we were to sign him in the offseason we are giving up something valuable guys never just leave teams. They sign with there old teams and then are traded.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#11 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:59 am

brannigan73 wrote:I have a hard time believing that if the Sixers really wanted Siakam they couldnt get him for something like Harris and two firsts and maybe the Clipper swap. Even if we were to sign him in the offseason we are giving up something valuable guys never just leave teams. They sign with there old teams and then are traded.

Unlike the Sixers, many teams can't afford a 5-year max deal for Siakam. Masai is a shrewd GM, never losing a trade. It's advisable for the Sixers to avoid a bidding war now; they can wait for other teams to back off, leaving them as the primary option. They could end up with nothing or, at least, Tobias. Similar to the 2020-2021 season when the Harden deal fell through, the Sixers can wait a season and sign Siakam outright in the offseason.

The Raptors aren't keen on re-signing Siakam, as he doesn't align with their timeline. Once it's clear that Siakam won't get the supermax, the Raptors lose leverage, diminishing Siakam's incentive to re-sign with them.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#12 » by PhillyNj » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:07 pm

I want no parts ofSiakam on a max contract. We’ve already seen what a bad contract does to a team!
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 472

Post#13 » by PhillyFan11 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:21 pm

I don’t think Siakam is a good fit here. He’s not a good off-ball player because of his lack of shooting ability and I don’t think he’s better with the ball in his hands than Maxey or Jo. Nor is he going to help with perimeter D on smaller guards/wings.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#14 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:03 am

PhillyNj wrote:I want no parts ofSiakam on a max contract. We’ve already seen what a bad contract does to a team!

What did it do?

There’s an abundance of talent nowadays. Most of the 10-20M guys are natural role players who wants more usage or they become sadbois. Nets roster is filled with them. Even Cam Johnson thinks he is a 20ppg scorer.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#15 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:04 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:I don’t think Siakam is a good fit here. He’s not a good off-ball player because of his lack of shooting ability and I don’t think he’s better with the ball in his hands than Maxey or Jo. Nor is he going to help with perimeter D on smaller guards/wings.

I’d also say the same thing to Masai for him to give us a discount.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,070

Post#16 » by ivysixer2000 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:54 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:I don’t think Siakam is a good fit here. He’s not a good off-ball player because of his lack of shooting ability and I don’t think he’s better with the ball in his hands than Maxey or Jo. Nor is he going to help with perimeter D on smaller guards/wings.

I don't think there is a great fit just hanging out for us right now, we were in the same position when we had to pay Tobi. Our perfect fit is playing in Miami, let him go for peanuts. Sometimes I really hate this team.

I'm starting to think I'd rather go with Lavine, and pray he decides to play defense. I also believe Pascal is a bad fit, although he is a bit closer than some of the other names out there.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,101

Post#17 » by mjkvol » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:30 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Embiid P wrote:Assuming no major trades are made before the deadline and given the relatively slim pickings in this free agency class, I honestly believe that Morey will either try to trade for a disgruntled star player in the offseason or sign players to one year deals (Maxey notwithstanding) and hold off until the 2025 deadline if need be.

How long do you think Embiid can keep playing at this high level? Kicking the can down the road is not really a sound strategy with an MVP player like Joel, who always has injury concerns. Morey needs to make something happen and not just wait of something to happen.

I don't disagree regarding Embiid, but if 'making something happen' is tantamount to trying to get blood from a stone, what's the point? If there are no difference makers or good fits available, and the only options are badly flawed players on ridiculous contracts that teams are desperate to dump, then waiting is really the only choice of an intelligent organization.

Things can change quickly and always do in this league, and the teams that succeed are usually the ones that save their powder and strike when it is most advantageous. Shooting your wad because the fan base is screaming for you to 'do something' is the quickest ticket back to the lottery.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Murray_17
RealGM

Post#18 » by Murray_17 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:47 pm

76ciology wrote:
PhillyNj wrote:I want no parts ofSiakam on a max contract. We’ve already seen what a bad contract does to a team!

What did it do?

There’s an abundance of talent nowadays. Most of the 10-20M guys are natural role players who wants more usage or they become sadbois. Nets roster is filled with them. Even Cam Johnson thinks he is a 20ppg scorer.

The point isn't guys who want to be the main guy. Is that a Siakam max could be crippling when he's gonna be 30 when his max hit and he's a player who relly on athleticism and doing spin moves around the rim.

He's gonna decline hard and his max is not gonna be easy to get around because is gonna be signed under the new CBA.

I think his questionable fit make him a Tobias 2.0. signing
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,960

Post#19 » by Mik317 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:16 pm

The Idea of Siakam is that he fills the role Tobias isn't good or consistant enough to fill. He may be just as mid or gunshy of a shooter like Tobias BUT he is a better finisher, rebounder, passer and defender than Tobias. He also allows Biid to roam more without fear of getting wrecked at the rim or not having anyone for rebounds. So even if he'd be Tobias 2.0....thats not the end of the world if we can get the good Tobias games more frequently. I know we all are tired of the Tobias show ATM but he can be a good player, his issue is that he goes ghost too often when needed....

I don't like watching Pascal's game lol but thats not the point.... ON PAPER having a 6'9 switchable guy who rebounds, defends, can attack the rim (with spinz) and while not all world is able to shoot is not the end of the world. He'd ironically be what we wished Ben would be.

However...again I don't think he likes Nurse or Biid like that and Masai is a pain in the ass to deal with (as is Darryl so it would be both guys being POS) so I don't think it happens. He's a Warrior or Maverick IMO
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#20 » by Skates » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:35 pm

The Sixers salary cap leverage with Siakam is more useful to force their way into a three way deal that will remove them from the market at his level next summer, making any new team trading for him feel slightly more confident that they can re-sign him.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers