ImageImageImage

Game 35: Jazz @ Sixers 1/6 @ 7:30 pm ET Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,825

Re: Game 35: Jazz @ Sixers 1/6 @ 7:30 pm ET Thread 

Post#41 » by the_process » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:06 am

Murray_17 wrote:Kind of to start getting worried about Maxey's shot.

Variance and all, but it has been bad (for his standard) for like 3 weeks now

Maxey is tired because they throw him out there 40 minutes a night running the offense come hell or high water even when everyone else is taking games off. He is also adjusting to being the focus of other teams game plans. Of course his shot will suffer.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#42 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:10 am

Wow we suck...No guard depth.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#43 » by brannigan73 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:13 am

I hope Morey is on the phones right now. I know the trade deadline isnt until Feb and teams are delusional to give up on seasons until the last possible moment but the sooner they get some help the better. This team looks like they have blown a gasket. We dont need to put our eggs in one basket and over-pay for Markinnen. I would be fine giving them 2 first round picks and maybe some seconds and expiring matching salary but no more then that. There are quite a few otheruseful players that should be available: the Bogeys, Siakam, Lavine, DeRozan, Jerami Grant to name some of the names that come up the most and Im sure plenty of others. I would love to dump Tobi for Detroit Bogy he just fits so much better.
sortpar
Sixth Man
And1: 792

Post#44 » by sortpar » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:22 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Mik317 wrote:lol yall are nuts

Ya know it's bad when I'm getting on him lol.. Even I can see that it's not a great look though man... I'd have hoped he would be over this once he won last year. Feel like his hot start got it in his head to 2 peat...

I agree with you, In that to me it looks like Embiid is taking a page out of Carmelo Anthony's and Tracy McGrady's book - where if you see that it is possible that you are not going to win a championship, it is better to focus on winning personal awards, than focus on what is best for the team.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#45 » by eyeatoma » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:37 am

sortpar wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Mik317 wrote:lol yall are nuts

Ya know it's bad when I'm getting on him lol.. Even I can see that it's not a great look though man... I'd have hoped he would be over this once he won last year. Feel like his hot start got it in his head to 2 peat...

I agree with you, In that to me it looks like Embiid is taking a page out of Carmelo Anthony's and Tracy McGrady's book - where if you see that it is possible that you are not going to win a championship, it is better to focus on winning personal awards, than focus on what is best for the team.

Which I think is idiotic.

Be a better defender, lower some of that scoring, go get that DPOY like you mentioned you wanted...

Push Morey to go get Lauri...
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#46 » by eyeatoma » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:38 am

brannigan73 wrote:I hope Morey is on the phones right now. I know the trade deadline isnt until Feb and teams are delusional to give up on seasons until the last possible moment but the sooner they get some help the better. This team looks like they have blown a gasket. We dont need to put our eggs in one basket and over-pay for Markinnen. I would be fine giving them 2 first round picks and maybe some seconds and expiring matching salary but no more then that. There are quite a few otheruseful players that should be available: the Bogeys, Siakam, Lavine, DeRozan, Jerami Grant to name some of the names that come up the most and Im sure plenty of others. I would love to dump Tobi for Detroit Bogy he just fits so much better.

Siakim I have concerns over with being able to shoot. Derozan is fine, Grant is fine, Lavine would be my last choice.

I prefer Bojan over Bogdan, Bogdan is always injured...

Defnitely inquire about Lauri.

But we also need a good defender. Do whatever you can to try and pry Caruso away...
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,807

Post#47 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:45 am

Maxey is a more of a shot maker and less of a shot creator. He was perfect being THE third guy behind Biid and Harden.

Because Embiid’s availability is inconsistent, your second guy needs to be more of a shot creator. He has to generate looks for himself and his teammates.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sortpar
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by sortpar » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:45 am

eyeatoma wrote:
brannigan73 wrote:I hope Morey is on the phones right now. I know the trade deadline isnt until Feb and teams are delusional to give up on seasons until the last possible moment but the sooner they get some help the better. This team looks like they have blown a gasket. We dont need to put our eggs in one basket and over-pay for Markinnen. I would be fine giving them 2 first round picks and maybe some seconds and expiring matching salary but no more then that. There are quite a few otheruseful players that should be available: the Bogeys, Siakam, Lavine, DeRozan, Jerami Grant to name some of the names that come up the most and Im sure plenty of others. I would love to dump Tobi for Detroit Bogy he just fits so much better.

Siakim I have concerns over with being able to shoot. Derozan is fine, Grant is fine, Lavine would be my last choice.

But we also need a good defender. Do whatever you can to try and pry Caruso away...

In the last 8 games, I believe that Siakam is averaging 30.5 PPG, plays defense and plays within a team game. Also, Nick Nurse knows how to best incorporate Siakam.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#49 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:47 am

sortpar wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

In the last 8 games, I believe that Siakam is averaging 30.5 PPG, plays defense and plays within a team game. Also, Nick Nurse knows how to best incorporate Siakam.

By the time our FO recognize we need Siakam, the window would be closed. If Im the GM, i would have traded for him when he was on a slump back then.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#50 » by eyeatoma » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:53 am

sortpar wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

I think the issue will be his shooting, and whether Nurse can deal with him. From my understanding he had falling out with basically all the players... I wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though. He has turned the corner, which is a good thing...
the_process
RealGM

Post#51 » by the_process » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:14 am

sortpar wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Siakam is shooting 28% from three. That’s not gonna work on a team that already has Embiid and Maxey.

Siakam would be perfect for a team like Detroit, however.
sortpar
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by sortpar » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:26 am

eyeatoma wrote:
sortpar wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

I think the issue will be his shooting, and whether Nurse can deal with him. From my understanding he had falling out with basically all the players... I wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though. He has turned the corner, which is a good thing...

From what I've heard is that Pascal played the good soldier. The team had won the championship and lost a few players, The next season, everything was going well, but the team got hit heavy with COVID and injuries including FVV, Lowry and Pascals shoulder injury and everything went south. The next year a few more players from the championship team moved on and the team was trying to get back into balance. Pascal started the season recovering from his shoulder surgery, but the team was also trying to rebuild and Lowry was now gone. Pascal, OG and FVV, newly drafted Barnes were basically the core of the team. Powell was traded for GTJ and the bench was a shell of its past. Nick was left with a starting five that needed to jell and a bench that couldn't score or hold a lead. Nick put some pressure on Pascal to get his head back in the game and Pascal took it personally. The bench has been a real issue, but with the trade of OG, the bench is somewhat better. The Raptors would do well by resigning Pascal, but any other team that passes on Pascal, is missing out on a great player.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 728

Post#53 » by Kova » Sun Jan 7, 2024 9:21 am

Yeah, something is wrong with us. Not that we're only losing, we're not playing nice quality basketball anymore. Taking shots from behind the backboard, I mean.. Everything seems forced. And our defense is completely out of sync. We're gonna need some adjustments and/or upgrades.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#54 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Jan 7, 2024 10:53 am

Kova wrote:Yeah, something is wrong with us. Not that we're only losing, we're not playing nice quality basketball anymore. Taking shots from behind the backboard, I mean.. Everything seems forced. And our defense is completely out of sync. We're gonna need some adjustments and/or upgrades.

We played mostly bad teams and Maxey got unusually hot, that's what happened.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#55 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 7, 2024 1:15 pm

Kova wrote:Yeah, something is wrong with us. Not that we're only losing, we're not playing nice quality basketball anymore. Taking shots from behind the backboard, I mean.. Everything seems forced. And our defense is completely out of sync. We're gonna need some adjustments and/or upgrades.

Like playing NBA2K when you suddenly switch difficulty level from Rookie to Hall of Fame?
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#56 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:30 pm

Hinkie died for us to end up being... 2nd round fodder year in year out!
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,146

Post#57 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:26 pm

Is this how it's going to be after every loss - "we suck", "we have to do something right this very second or I might jump off the cliff"? And idiotic references to Morey as a "fraud", when it is his work that got us in a position to be a fringe contender and even have any assets to trade?

Damn, people, it's a loooong season, and a January loss without Embiid isn't worth all the angst. We all know this group, as presently constituted, isn't a serious contender. Does anyone seriously believe that Morey is sitting back and saying "you know, I have this and that trade option on the table, but I'm too busy to bother with that right now"? I swear, this place is like sports talk radio callers after every damn loss.

Go ahead and flame away.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
the_process
RealGM

Post#58 » by the_process » Sun Jan 7, 2024 7:52 pm

I do believe Morey has options, but he considers them not good enough options.

I get not settling, but at some point you have to take a risk. FA is a bad risk. Tell me who else is going to be available besides Siakam that's worth a damn? And Siakam does not fit on this team. We should have learned by now you can't simply grab talent and hope for the best.

They don't have enough 1sts available to trade to get in on the 3rd star conversations.

Therefore, a much smarter risk would be to find a distressed asset that has a decent track record, or a young player with talent that is currently buried. Or a combination of the two. These are deals Morey could make now. But he won't. Because his head is always in the clouds and always star hunting. He had a rising star in his grasp for Simmons and chose his boy Harden instead. Forgive me if he doesn't get my undying allegiance.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#59 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Jan 7, 2024 7:59 pm

mjkvol wrote:Is this how it's going to be after every loss - "we suck", "we have to do something right this very second or I might jump off the cliff"? And idiotic references to Morey as a "fraud", when it is his work that got us in a position to be a fringe contender and even have any assets to trade?

Damn, people, it's a loooong season, and a January loss without Embiid isn't worth all the angst. We all know this group, as presently constituted, isn't a serious contender. Does anyone seriously believe that Morey is sitting back and saying "you know, I have this and that trade option on the table, but I'm too busy to bother with that right now"? I swear, this place is like sports talk radio callers after every damn loss.

Go ahead and flame away.

I never blamed Morey, he has it really tough, it's the previous FO that is at fault for emptying all our warchest. I personally think he has done alright with the cards he was dealt with.
That being said, it has to be disappointing to "know" we aren't a serious contender, I mean did we tank only to end up like this? just pretenders?
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#60 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Jan 7, 2024 8:10 pm

We cannot blame Morey for Sixers having done a joke of a process. Okafor was a failure, Noel was a failure, Simmons was a failure, Fultz was a failure, letting Butler go and signing Sorrys to a Max contract, washed up Horford for max money, I mean, what do you expect when you get it wrong almost every time? but, at one point we cannot sit here acting like all is fine, we are going nowhere, but it has been like this for some time now, and Embiid is not the leader needed, he is a beta than needs to be behind another alpha, obviously we cannot get that alpha anymore, and Maxey is just not talented enough to be that, at least he is not lacking in attitude and heart, so we are stuck in perennial mediocrity and 2nd round fodderness.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers