ImageImageImage

Philly vs Miami Xmas game

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Re: Philly vs Miami Xmas game 

Post#141 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:36 pm

Not worried about Maxey, the most important trait is having heart and care about basketball, which Bum Simmons and James Soften didn't AT ALL.
I'm convinced Maxey will keep improving.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,541

Post#142 » by Jailblazers7 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:24 pm

That was really the first time where it felt like Maxey allowed frusto to impact his play. We have such a bad history of mental collapse that I’m partially afraid that this is the beginning of the end for him lol.

But he’ll bounce back & learn from this one I’m sure.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#143 » by Eyeamok » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:35 pm

Games like last night are awesome. It shows the FO that although Embiid is putting up stats that could win him another MVP award, this team as a whole has too many holes for Embiid to take them anywhere but to a second round exit. Morey I know the cap space is wonderful in the off season, but don't waste another Embiid MVP type season.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,098

Post#144 » by Embiid P » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:01 pm

Eyeamok wrote:Games like last night are awesome. It shows the FO that although Embiid is putting up stats that could win him another MVP award, this team as a whole has too many holes for Embiid to take them anywhere but to a second round exit. Morey I know the cap space is wonderful in the off season, but don't waste another Embiid MVP type season.

I get that, but at the same time, it would be foolish to handicap this team's future by making a desperate attempt to win now i.e. trade for LaVine.

Right now, I'm not hugely impressed with most of the names currently on the trading block, and the ones I do like (i.e. OG and Caruso) won't come cheap.

Given that we're about six weeks or so from the trade deadline, I'm hoping that others will become available as more teams decide to mail it in this season or Morey manages to acquire an under the radar cheaper player that would help get us over the hump.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#145 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:49 pm

The team is lottery level without Embiid. That's never a good thing. You want your team to be able to win games without their star player. You want your team to be at least a lower seeded playoff team without it's top player. You want your star player to vault you into contender status and put you over the top. Boston wins all the time without Tatum/Brown. Us not being able to do the same is concerning.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Post#146 » by Murray_17 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:46 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:The team is lottery level without Embiid. That's never a good thing. You want your team to be able to win games without their star player. You want your team to be at least a lower seeded playoff team without it's top player. You want your star player to vault you into contender status and put you over the top. Boston wins all the time without Tatum/Brown. Us not being able to do the same is concerning.

I don't know if i agree? i mean, yes, not winning without Joel is concerning but not the end of the wold. Look at the Cavs teams lead by Lebron or how the Nuggets play with and without Jokic. The Celtics have been deep for years now and always collapse because they go back to ISO play when they get frustrated, maybe this year is different but the jury is still out.

That's to say, i would prefer to have a team that doesn't depend on one guy but all heliocentric guys make their team ultra-dependent on them, specially if the team is built around said guy. We're not gonna win without Joel on the playoffs anyway.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,541

Post#147 » by Jailblazers7 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:49 pm

I don’t think we need to overreact to this loss. Maxey had the worst shooting night of his career & we were without Embiid/Batum/Roco due to injury.

We really need to trade Morris tho to save Nurse from himself. Every coach has one bet that they play too much & Morris is it on this team.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,075

Post#148 » by Sixerscan » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:58 pm

Bamba might be the worst defensive big man we’ve had since Okafor. I would put him easily behind Harrell.

He cannot handle any kind of physicality, doesn’t get a rebound unless it falls into his hands, all of those backcuts in the first half (before Nurse smartly went to zone and turned the game around) were clear communication issues which is generally the center’s main responsibility.

Part of it is just that guys are used to Embiid and to a lesser extent Reed cleaning up any mistakes, and Batum and I can only assume Covington being out with injuries, but there’s a level between that and what was going on with Bamba in the game.

He can make some shots but on this team I’d much rather just have some Taj Gibson type in that role with diminished physical tools but knows how to play and is willing to throw his body around.

They’ve been pretty great in non-Embiid lineups when Embiid plays, and obviously haven’t won when he’s sat. Part of that is quality of competition but you also need to get 48 minutes of decent center minutes and they haven’t.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#149 » by Skates » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:45 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:I don’t think we need to overreact to this loss. Maxey had the worst shooting night of his career & we were without Embiid/Batum/Roco due to injury.

We really need to trade Morris tho to save Nurse from himself. Every coach has one bet that they play too much & Morris is it on this team.

We all know this team is far from complete, one more big piece and some targeted depth.

Tyrese, oh man, as bad of a night as he had yesterday it isn't even close to his house burning down two Christmases ago.

Batum and Covington have shown the over the hill archetype of what we need on the wing/frontcourt side.

Jacquez showed why we need a guard or two that are taller than 6'2".
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#150 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:21 pm

Melton and Oubre are damn good in there roles. Paul Reed is solid too. Melton should be 6th man and Oubre should be starting 3. We need a star wing. Let the 4 be Batum,Cov and Morris it's enough..

Tobias needs to be upgraded asap.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers