HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,920

Re: 2024 Sixers Roster 

Post#21 » by HotelVitale » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:42 am

youngcrev wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
They'd be able to keep Batum with his rights rather than an exception.
Not sure how the MLE part would work in terms of sequencing (as opposed to using the tax MLE). I think if you use it you are hard capped at the first apron, so I guess it depends on what the financials would look like when all is said and done.

Don't think so, his cap hold would be too big ($17m+) to allow us to keep big space open. So think we'd have to renounce the hold and bring him back on something outside of Bird rights. (Oubre's deal was too short to get Bird rights so caphold is irrelevant.)
I thought we were talking if they were operating as an above the cap team?

If cap space is the plan, they'd need to use either cap space or the room exception (not sure that would be enough for either) to retain those guys.

OP has us giving a high 30s offer to OG, so this is the minimal retention proposal. Just Maxey and Milton on capholds.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,569

Post#22 » by youngcrev » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:32 am

HotelVitale wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Don't think so, his cap hold would be too big ($17m+) to allow us to keep big space open. So think we'd have to renounce the hold and bring him back on something outside of Bird rights. (Oubre's deal was too short to get Bird rights so caphold is irrelevant.)
I thought we were talking if they were operating as an above the cap team?

If cap space is the plan, they'd need to use either cap space or the room exception (not sure that would be enough for either) to retain those guys.

OP has us giving a high 30s offer to OG, so this is the minimal retention proposal. Just Maxey and Milton on capholds.

Which is why a cap space plan honestly isn't all that attractive, particularly if it's to sign a guy like OG to a huge deal.

In this scenario, you'd have Embiid, Maxey, OG, Melton, Reed, Springer, a room exception signing (8m) and a bunch of minimum guys.

You'd have picks to play with, but wouldn't have matching salaries to do anything significant.
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 124

Post#23 » by fkd215 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:10 pm

youngcrev wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
youngcrev wrote: I thought we were talking if they were operating as an above the cap team?

Which is why a cap space plan honestly isn't all that attractive, particularly if it's to sign a guy like OG to a huge deal.

In this scenario, you'd have Embiid, Maxey, OG, Melton, Reed, Springer, a room exception signing (8m) and a bunch of minimum guys.

You'd have picks to play with, but wouldn't have matching salaries to do anything significant.

I agree with this completely. I'm not sure the above scenario makes us better than we are currently. I'd rather use trades to get multiple less expensive players that fit the team, rather than use it all for one star-level player and have to rely on multiple vet minimum guys.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,920

Post#24 » by HotelVitale » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:07 pm

fkd215 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:OP has us giving a high 30s offer to OG, so this is the minimal retention proposal. Just Maxey and Milton on capholds.

I agree with this completely. I'm not sure the above scenario makes us better than we are currently. I'd rather use trades to get multiple less expensive players that fit the team, rather than use it all for one star-level player and have to rely on multiple vet minimum guys.

Don’t disagree but it requires you to nail a couple trades. Which means multiple good fit players have to be available, we have to be able to get them for not too much, etc. Do you have people in mind?
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 124

Post#25 » by fkd215 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:16 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
fkd215 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Don’t disagree but it requires you to nail a couple trades. Which means multiple good fit players have to be available, we have to be able to get them for not too much, etc. Do you have people in mind?

That's all true. A couple interesting names I've seen mentioned as possible trades are Keldon Johnson and Dorian Finney-Smith.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers