ImageImageImage

2024 Sixers Roster

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 557

2024 Sixers Roster 

Post#1 » by PhillyNj » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:23 pm

Hi guys, go easy on me here I’m not a cap expert.
Just trying to figure out what our cap situation will be.

51.42. Joel Embiid ( actual salary)
15.2 De Anthony Melton ( cap hold)
13.03 Tyrese Maxey. (cap hold)
7.72 Pual Reed ( actual salary)
4.02 Springer
11.69 nba min for remaining 10 players
Total of 103.08 mil.
Then you get the non- taxpayer MLE. (12.4)
Bi- annual exemption. (4.74)

2024 NBA cap 142 mil.
2024 NBA luxury tax 172.6 mil.

So if you take the 142 million cap - 103.08 mil Sixers cap holds= 38.92 mil left for a free agent.

So the 2024 Sixers could look like:
Pg. Maxey Max slot
Sg. Melton. 15-18 mil
Sf. OG. Anunoby 38.92 mil
Pf. Oubre ( MLE)
C. Embiid. 51.42 mil.
Bench
Reed 7.72
Springer 4.02
Batum ( bi an exemp.)
7 min contracts.
Obviously if the Sixers trade Springer for no return his 4.02 mil adds onto the available free agent money.
What’s right and what’s wrong here?
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,520

Re: 2024 Sixers Roster 

Post#2 » by Snotbubbles » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:23 pm

I don't view Oubre as a PF, he's a SF, IMO. If he continues to play the way he's been playing, I'd be happy to keep him around. If you do keep Oubre, there probably isn't a need for Anunoby. You could get Oubre at a discount compared to Anunoby as well.

I think I may be in the minority, but I'd bring Harris back. I don't really like Siakim, but he seems to be the hot name to replace Harris at PF.

What this team really needs is a PG with size to play with Maxey. Derrick White would be ideal, but he's not a FA until next offseason and Boston isn't trading him to you. Brogdon is another possibility who may be had. I'm sure there are others out there.

My offseason plan would be to re-sign Oubre and Harris and go get a PG with size and a bench guy that can shoot.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,569

Post#3 » by youngcrev » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:34 pm

The MLE and BAE are for teams over the cap. Those would be renounced if using cap space to sign players.

Instead, you'd have the Room exception, which will be ~8.1M next year.

Honestly, in this free agent class, I'd much rather they make moves now and operate as above the cap team.

Keep guys with cap holds and make use of the MLE to retain Oubre.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,809

Post#4 » by the_process » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:56 pm

The problem with making the moves now is the Sixers might not have the assets.

On draft night, however, they will have a full arsenal of picks to deal, and they can make trades into cap space (other teams don't have to haggle over players in return).
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#5 » by youngcrev » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:04 pm

the_process wrote:The problem with making the moves now is the Sixers might not have the assets.

On draft night, however, they will have a full arsenal of picks to deal, and they can make trades into cap space (other teams don't have to haggle over players in return).

I don't think that's that much of a leg up in the context of a star trade.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,809

Post#6 » by the_process » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:08 pm

youngcrev wrote:
the_process wrote:The problem with making the moves now is the Sixers might not have the assets.

5 as opposed to 3 1sts and not having to dump cash on Tobias Harris is probably a big deal to some owners. JMO.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#7 » by youngcrev » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:24 pm

the_process wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

5 as opposed to 3 1sts and not having to dump cash on Tobias Harris is probably a big deal to some owners. JMO.

The 1sts are for sure.

I don't think cap savings is that much of a motivator in the context of a star deal, particularly if we're talking savings vs a decent player on an expiring. I guess it depends on the situation to an extent.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:34 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:I don't view Oubre as a PF, he's a SF, IMO. If he continues to play the way he's been playing, I'd be happy to keep him around. If you do keep Oubre, there probably isn't a need for Anunoby. You could get Oubre at a discount compared to Anunoby as well.

I think I may be in the minority, but I'd bring Harris back. I don't really like Siakim, but he seems to be the hot name to replace Harris at PF.

What this team really needs is a PG with size to play with Maxey. Derrick White would be ideal, but he's not a FA until next offseason and Boston isn't trading him to you. Brogdon is another possibility who may be had. I'm sure there are others out there.

My offseason plan would be to re-sign Oubre and Harris and go get a PG with size and a bench guy that can shoot.

My favorite birthday meal is peanut butter and jelly...
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,919

Post#9 » by HotelVitale » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:18 pm

youngcrev wrote:
the_process wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

The 1sts are for sure.

I don't think cap savings is that much of a motivator in the context of a star deal, particularly if we're talking savings vs a decent player on an expiring. I guess it depends on the situation to an extent.

Agreed, in theory it’s an advantage but there aren’t that many situations it’d matter. Pretty rare that teams have stars that they have no plan for until the draft/off-season, when they’re like ‘you know we’d really like to dump this guy right now for nothing.’ There are some examples but it’s not common enough that you can have it be your team building plan.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#10 » by HotelVitale » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:27 pm

youngcrev wrote:The MLE and BAE are for teams over the cap. Those would be renounced if using cap space to sign players.

Honestly, in this free agent class, I'd much rather they make moves now and operate as above the cap team.

They could stagger the deals so that eg Maxey and Melton were re-signed first so the team was above the cap, right? Then use the MLE and BAE for Oubre/Batum. (Though it’s possible one or both of those guys sign for more elsewhere, or someone comes along who’s a better fit that we use the MLE on.)

Also OP they’ll have a 1st rounder this year, st least as of now. Also have to factor in when they’ll be at or near the tax—1st cuz Sixers FO hasn’t wanted to pay tax and second cuz it effects some of the exceptions.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by PhillyNj » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:31 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
youngcrev wrote:The MLE and BAE are for teams over the cap. Those would be renounced if using cap space to sign players.

They could stagger the deals so that eg Maxey and Melton were re-signed first so the team was above the cap, right? Then use the MLE and BAE for Oubre/Batum. (Though it’s possible one or both of those guys sign for more elsewhere, or someone comes along who’s a better fit that we use the MLE on.)

Also OP they’ll have a 1st rounder this year, st least as of now. Also have to factor in when they’ll be at or near the tax—1st cuz Sixers FO hasn’t wanted to pay tax and second cuz it effects some of the exceptions.

The first rounder is really irrelevant since they can trade the rigths to the pick to another team after they make the pick.
Also I figured in 10 slots at 1.16 mil. Which is about a late FRP anyway.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,786

Post#12 » by 76ciology » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:42 pm

As we approach the offseason without making any trades, our margin for error decreases.

What if you don't have any good trade options by then?

In the 2024 offseason, you might need to make desperate moves, possibly signing Oubre and Tobi to a 20-30 million contract. Then, you'll need to find replacements for Batum and Roco.

I believe the best move is to make a trade but reserve some assets for flexibility, depending on team needs and trade availability.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Doramas
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#13 » by Doramas » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:43 pm

And throw this season away? With this squad in normal conditions, as it is right now, it won't make it past the second round of the playoffs.
:nod:
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,786

Post#14 » by 76ciology » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:46 pm

Doramas wrote:

And throw this season away? With this squad in normal conditions, as it is right now, it won't make it past the second round of the playoffs.

But we’re number 2 overall in NetRtg
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Doramas
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#15 » by Doramas » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:15 pm

76ciology wrote:
Doramas wrote:

But we’re number 2 overall in NetRtg

Do you really think we are second favourites to be champions?
I hope I'm wrong, but in my opinion there are five or six teams that I see above us.
:nod:
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#16 » by HotelVitale » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:36 pm

PhillyNj wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

The first rounder is really irrelevant since they can trade the rigths to the pick to another team after they make the pick.
Also I figured in 10 slots at 1.16 mil. Which is about a late FRP anyway.

Got you on the 1.6m slot, makes sense. Lost me on the other part though: we’re not gonna dump a pick or the BPA prospect just to save a small-$ roster spot, and if we trade it we’ll presumably take back some more salary. Unless you mean we’ll trade the actual picked player for a future first, which sounds good to me but don’t think we can plan for sure on that being available.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,316

Post#17 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:48 pm

76ciology wrote:

As we approach the offseason without making any trades, our margin for error decreases.

What if you don't have any good trade options by then?

In the 2024 offseason, you might need to make desperate moves, possibly signing Oubre and Tobi to a 20-30 million contract. Then, you'll need to find replacements for Batum and Roco.

I believe the best move is to make a trade but reserve some assets for flexibility, depending on team needs and trade availability.
I agree. Finding a deal now where we get a star to the level of Lavine or pascal type. And also keeping the ability to trade 28clips, 29, and 31 this summer is the ideal scenario imo
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#18 » by youngcrev » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:56 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

They'd be able to keep Batum with his rights rather than an exception.

Not sure how the MLE part would work in terms of sequencing (as opposed to using the tax MLE). I think if you use it you are hard capped at the first apron, so I guess it depends on what the financials would look like when all is said and done.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#19 » by HotelVitale » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:37 pm

youngcrev wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Not sure how the MLE part would work in terms of sequencing (as opposed to using the tax MLE). I think if you use it you are hard capped at the first apron, so I guess it depends on what the financials would look like when all is said and done.

Don't think so, his cap hold would be too big ($17m+) to allow us to keep big space open. So think we'd have to renounce the hold and bring him back on something outside of Bird rights. (Oubre's deal was too short to get Bird rights so caphold is irrelevant.)
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#20 » by youngcrev » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:25 am

HotelVitale wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Don't think so, his cap hold would be too big ($17m+) to allow us to keep big space open. So think we'd have to renounce the hold and bring him back on something outside of Bird rights. (Oubre's deal was too short to get Bird rights so caphold is irrelevant.)

I thought we were talking if they were operating as an above the cap team?

If cap space is the plan, they'd need to use either cap space or the room exception (not sure that would be enough for either) to retain those guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers