Game 19: Sixers @ Celtics 12/1 @ 7:30 pm ET Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,993

Re: Game 19: Sixers @ Celtics 12/1 @ 7:30 pm ET Thread 

Post#161 » by Stanford » Sat Dec 2, 2023 3:48 am

A loss is a loss. No moral victories. We need to beat this team.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#162 » by Ben » Sat Dec 2, 2023 4:14 am

the_process wrote:Moral victory!

Also Tobias is addition by subtraction, been obvious for years.

“But we can’t downgrade in talent!”

RoCo and Batum aren’t as talented as Harden, yet the team is better.

This. I don't understand you guys saying that there are no moral victories. This is one game out of 82, and everyone outside of Embiid and Maxey got a taste of playing elevated minutes and making an impact. Tobi was bad, Morris I've been willing to pay good money if he could play zero minutes as a Sixer, but almost everyone else got positive exposure. Add in Embiid, Maxey, and Oubre, with some more time to see the other guys gel, and then let's see what happens.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#163 » by Skates » Sat Dec 2, 2023 4:25 am

If this was a moral victory then Tobias has no morals.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,831

Post#164 » by the_process » Sat Dec 2, 2023 4:27 am

Ben wrote:
the_process wrote:Moral victory!

Also Tobias is addition by subtraction, been obvious for years.

“But we can’t downgrade in talent!”

RoCo and Batum aren’t as talented as Harden, yet the team is better.

This. I don't understand you guys saying that there are no moral victories. This is one game out of 82, and everyone outside of Embiid and Maxey got a taste of playing elevated minutes and making an impact. Tobi was bad, Morris I've been willing to pay good money if he could play zero minutes as a Sixer, but almost everyone else got positive exposure. Add in Embiid, Maxey, and Oubre, with some more time to see the other guys gel, and then let's see what happens.

The fact of the matter is this game was lost before the tip.

[I don't really think it was a moral victory. I was just remembering the days when if any game was close it was a moral victory. The team now is past moral victories.]
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,104

Post#165 » by Embiid P » Sat Dec 2, 2023 4:45 am

The good news is that the next time we play Boston is at the end of February so I'm guessing that our team will look significantly different then. Hopefully good enough to finally beat them in a 7 game series.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,483

Post#166 » by Eyeamok » Sat Dec 2, 2023 4:58 am

The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#167 » by Ben » Sat Dec 2, 2023 5:11 am

Eyeamok wrote:

SMH.

What the heck was that supposed to mean? That the Sixers had spent so much on Tobi that they couldn't/ wouldn't re-sign Butler? That would be nonsense. Butler left because he wanted to take his talents to South Beach.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,156

Post#168 » by mjkvol » Sat Dec 2, 2023 5:13 am

This game was a lot of fun - never expected it to be a game, really, but the guys just kept scrapping. Loved watching Pat Bev trying to put the team on his back and carry them home, guy is an all-time gamer. And how about Bamba showing out a little bit? Reed was great, as well as Melton. Very rare that a loss to the Celtics could ever be considered 'fun', but there it is.

And then there's Tobias. This should have been his game to be the man, and he shrunk like never before. Enough is enough at this point.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#169 » by Ben » Sat Dec 2, 2023 5:13 am

What the freak did you expect to happen without the team's two best players? For Pete's sake.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#170 » by Eyeamok » Sat Dec 2, 2023 5:16 am

Ben wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

SMH.

What the heck was that supposed to mean? That the Sixers had spent so much on Tobi that they couldn't/ wouldn't re-sign Butler? That would be nonsense. Butler left because he wanted to take his talents to South Beach.

Evidently Jimmy sees it much differently than you do. I don't know who your source is when the negotiations were taking place. But Jimmy seems to think they choose Harris over him.

Bring on the draft

Marlo
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,454

Post#171 » by FlyingArrow » Sat Dec 2, 2023 6:43 am

Eyeamok wrote:
Ben wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

SMH.

Evidently Jimmy sees it much differently than you do. I don't know who your source is when the negotiations were taking place. But Jimmy seems to think they choose Harris over him.

Tobias may have gotten Jimmy's contract, but the choice was between Ben and Jimmy. Wrong choice either way.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 430

Post#172 » by Zumramania » Sat Dec 2, 2023 9:18 am

Why has Reed played only 22 minutes? He looked really good to me in the minutes he played, the guy excels against the Celtics.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#173 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Dec 2, 2023 10:50 am

brannigan73 wrote:That game is a nice summary of Tobias Harris Sixers career. Doesnt come through when they need him. I was embarrassed for him after Horford blocked him twice in a row.

I mean, this could also apply to Embiid TBH, he's come up short against Celtics so many times.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#174 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Dec 2, 2023 10:55 am

FlyingArrow wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Ben wrote:

Tobias may have gotten Jimmy's contract, but the choice was between Ben and Jimmy. Wrong choice either way.

Exactly, Butler would handle the ball a lot, he also didn't space the floor all that much, our little primmadonna Bum Simmons didn't like this, so he forced Brett to choose between Butler and him, and we know about their nepotism, so no surprise about why Harris was the chosen one, it's who Simmons wanted.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,710

Post#175 » by rzzzzz » Sat Dec 2, 2023 3:10 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Butler would handle the ball a lot, he also didn't space the floor all that much, our little primmadonna Bum Simmons didn't like this, so he forced Brett to choose between Butler and him, and we know about their nepotism, so no surprise about why Harris was the chosen one, it's who Simmons wanted.

You can lay a lot at Ben’s doorstep, but Jimmy getting moved was all Brett, plain and simple. Jimmy was stunned at the lack of prep and poor scheming, and let everybody know about it. Brett told Harris he would only re-sign if they shut Jimmy up, which meant trading him. And then Embiid, after a locked down season of comatose Horford and Ben going down, decided to repay Brett for getting rid of his favorite team mate by disappearing in round one, guaranteeing a coaching change.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#176 » by Eyeamok » Sat Dec 2, 2023 4:03 pm

Don't get me wrong from what I know I like Harris as a person. But I can't remember a time with this team really needed him to step up and he has. Or if he has he hasn't done it on a consistent basis for the years that he's been here. I would be in favor of trading him for Demar and even adding a second round pick to sweeten the deal.

Bring on the draft

Marlo
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#177 » by mjkvol » Sat Dec 2, 2023 4:20 pm

Eyeamok wrote:Don't get me wrong from what I know I like Harris as a person. But I can't remember a time with this team really needed him to step up and he has. Or if he has he hasn't done it on a consistent basis for the years that he's been here. I would be in favor of trading him for Demar and even adding a second round pick to sweeten the deal.

I'd do that deal in a second and without a thought, but I don't see why the Bulls would value Tobias as anything more than an expiring, which they already have in DeRozan. I think the asking prices of DDR and Caruso are going to get stupid as we approach the deadline, and the Bulls primarily want to unload Lavine, who has a whole lot less trade value.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#178 » by Eyeamok » Sat Dec 2, 2023 5:17 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:Don't get me wrong from what I know I like Harris as a person. But I can't remember a time with this team really needed him to step up and he has. Or if he has he hasn't done it on a consistent basis for the years that he's been here. I would be in favor of trading him for Demar and even adding a second round pick to sweeten the deal.

I'd do that deal in a second and without a thought, but I don't see why the Bulls would value Tobias as anything more than an expiring, which they already have in DeRozan. I think the asking prices of DDR and Caruso are going to get stupid as we approach the deadline, and the Bulls primarily want to unload Lavine, who has a whole lot less trade value.

I agree with what you're saying about DeRozen, but the Bulls are getting a 2nd round pick for nothing. But they will probably be other offers too, better than this, so we will see.

I truly wonder who's going to take on that Levine contract.

Bring on the draft

Marlo
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#179 » by mjkvol » Sat Dec 2, 2023 7:20 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I agree with what you're saying about DeRozen, but the Bulls are getting a 2nd round pick for nothing. But they will probably be other offers too, better than this, so we will see.

The only two teams I can imagine would be the Lakers or Warriors. GS makes sense, as they have to be all in right now and desperately need offense outside of Steph. Question is do they have the balls to trade a cooked Klay? The Lakers because they are the Lakers, and they'll sell their soul to placate his holiness King James.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#180 » by Eyeamok » Sat Dec 2, 2023 8:44 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

The only two teams I can imagine would be the Lakers or Warriors. GS makes sense, as they have to be all in right now and desperately need offense outside of Steph. Question is do they have the balls to trade a cooked Klay? The Lakers because they are the Lakers, and they'll sell their soul to placate his holiness King James.

And that's why they will probably end up with Levine.

Bring on the draft

Marlo

Return to Philadelphia 76ers