Re: Game 13: Sixers @ Nets 11/19 @ 3 pm ET Thread 

Post#101 » by eyeatoma » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:11 am

Read on Twitter
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,948

Post#102 » by HotelVitale » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:14 am

Mik317 wrote:going to be that guy and complain during a win but....its pretty sad that everyone of our FA signings sans Oubre have been awful , no?

We signed 3 wash-ups to minimum deals, one of them has been great and one can eat some minutes. That's an amazing outcome.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#103 » by M2J » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:32 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Mik317 wrote:going to be that guy and complain during a win but....its pretty sad that everyone of our FA signings sans Oubre have been awful , no?

We signed 3 wash-ups to minimum deals, one of them has been great and one can eat some minutes. That's an amazing outcome.

Bamba so disappointing. Had people fantasizing about a double big lineup with Reed or Jo with his shooting, and he can't even see the floor.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,816

Post#104 » by 76ciology » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:28 am

Bamba is still a very promising prospect in that excel file Morey has in his laptop
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#105 » by mjkvol » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:14 am

Embiid P wrote:Anyone else think that Morey despite his flaws is a highly underrated drafter? The Maxey pick speaks for itself and Springer has shown real potential and Joe who FWIW has become a solid bench piece for OKC.

Totally agree. For all the ripping Morey has gotten here and elsewhere (how many times was he referred to as "washed"?), the fact is that the Embiid era was DOA when he got here, and though it was a circuitous route he has gotten the team to the point of being an entertaining group with a legitimate coach, two genuine stars, and a shot to win with another move or two.

Drafting Maxey and refusing to trade him might end up being Morey's masterstroke. Axing Rivers a year earlier would have been the right move, but we wouldn't have Nurse right now had that happened, so it has worked out.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#106 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:47 pm

76ciology wrote:Bamba is still a very promising prospect in that excel file Morey has in his laptop

Bumba was only promising in college, when people glossed over his deficiencies, there is no way he can be a good player with his terrible basketball IQ.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,841

Post#107 » by phillynative » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:35 pm

Is bumba a waste of a roster spot? I wish we could of kept Petrusev who had stretch 4 potential and some semblance of a bball iq
76ciology
RealGM

Post#108 » by 76ciology » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:06 am

mjkvol wrote:
Embiid P wrote:Anyone else think that Morey despite his flaws is a highly underrated drafter? The Maxey pick speaks for itself and Springer has shown real potential and Joe who FWIW has become a solid bench piece for OKC.

Totally agree. For all the ripping Morey has gotten here and elsewhere (how many times was he referred to as "washed"?), the fact is that the Embiid era was DOA when he got here, and though it was a circuitous route he has gotten the team to the point of being an entertaining group with a legitimate coach, two genuine stars, and a shot to win with another move or two.

Drafting Maxey and refusing to trade him might end up being Morey's masterstroke. Axing Rivers a year earlier would have been the right move, but we wouldn't have Nurse right now had that happened, so it has worked out.

What scares me about Morey is this type of team and style of play seems more like a 2021-2022 transition team when his eyes are more into superstar driven stagnant PnR and Iso heavy offense.

Thats what I fear about Morey since day 1. He goes for the “highest payoff option” whether its ISO basketball at 1.2ppp, jack up 3s like there’s no tomorrow, highest ppp on PnR and all in on micro ball. No flexibility.

I wont be surprised if we would have went for Beal or go after Lavine, then this team reverts back to stagnant offense.

I also hope we can keep stress testing this team until we can have confirmation that we can win with this level of talent and style of play against the top teams. Maybe this team and style of play is for real.

Not a mere process, but the finale.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#109 » by M2J » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:10 am

76ciology wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

What scares me about Morey is this type of team and style of play seems more like a 2021-2022 transition team when his eyes are more into superstar driven stagnant PnR and Iso heavy offense.

Thats what I fear about Morey since day 1. He goes for the “highest payoff option” whether its ISO basketball at 1.2ppp, jack up 3s like there’s no tomorrow, highest ppp on PnR and all in on micro ball. No flexibility.

I wont be surprised if we would have went for Beal or go after Lavine, then this team reverts back to stagnant offense.

I also hope we can keep stress testing this team until we can have confirmation that we can win with this level of talent and style of play against the top teams. Maybe this team and style of play is for real.

I feel Morey kinda showcased with Joel and Doc and now Nurse and in the past with McHale that he collaborates pretty well to get the coaches and the stars what they feel they need to win. D'antoni is just a fraud that Harden loved to death.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,102

Post#110 » by Embiid P » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:15 am

M2J wrote:
76ciology wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I feel Morey kinda showcased with Joel and Doc and now Nurse and in the past with McHale that he collaborates pretty well to get the coaches and the stars what they feel they need to win. D'antoni is just a fraud that Harden loved to death.

Yeah, when the choice was basically between Rivers and D'Antoni in 2020, I begrudgingly wanted Doc because despite his flaws, he still has more rings than Pringles in multiple stints.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#111 » by mjkvol » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:48 am

76ciology wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

My one great fear concerning Morey is the constant talk of adding a "3rd star", almost obsessively.

When at full strength, this group has a nice complimentary blend that fits Nurse's system, but is a couple of pieces short of being a really legit title contender. That doesn't mean dropping our load for this imaginary "3rd star" who will cure all ills, but 2-3 more complimentary players to fill needs like backup PG, secondary shot creator, another 3&D athletic wing, etc.

This can be done without removing all our off season flexibility, and without taking on an albatross like Lavine. I'm not opposed to bringing in a player like OG who fits what this group needs and will cost money to retain, but there should be plenty of available bargains as the deadline approaches and teams begin to look toward next year. Patience is our best friend at this point.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
76ciology
RealGM

Post#112 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:02 am

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

My one great fear concerning Morey is the constant talk of adding a "3rd star", almost obsessively.

When at full strength, this group has a nice complimentary blend that fits Nurse's system, but is a couple of pieces short of being a really legit title contender. That doesn't mean dropping our load for this imaginary "3rd star" who will cure all ills, but 2-3 more complimentary players to fill needs like backup PG, secondary shot creator, another 3&D athletic wing, etc.

This can be done without removing all our off season flexibility, and without taking on an albatross like Lavine. I'm not opposed to bringing in a player like OG who fits what this group needs and will cost money to retain, but there should be plenty of available bargains as the deadline approaches and teams begin to look toward next year. Patience is our best friend at this point.

Agree. But the problem is the nature in building around Embiid. He’s too inconsistent that you need to field a contender when he’s having these spiritually absent moments?

Im also not sold on Lavine. On those “spiritually absent” moments. He will help on offense but he will hurt us on defense that it might just end up being a wash. Ideally for me, it should be a two way player. OG looks like a great fit for that. Great, but not perfect.

Regarding flexibility, I think its more on the nature of our cap space where we’d lose it with the cap holds and the re-signing if we dont use it. While if you are just going to end up with a guy like OG, its best that we have offensive help like Tobi and Oubre out there and we may not have that luxury by out right signing OG in the offseason. Unless we also re-sign Tobi or Maxey or luck ourselves again with an Oubre type signing or 2.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers