We can win a title with this team if healthy

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Re: We can win a title with this team if healthy 

Post#21 » by sixers hoops » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:23 pm

I think Nurse is a much better coach, but Doc was a very good regular season coach for us. Every year we look really good for long stretches of the regular season. I think they need more firepower to have serious odds of winning the championship. There are several teams that could go on a massive hot streak like Nick Nurse’s Raptors and win a title. We are one of those teams, but without some more firepower, we look like the team who could flop in the second round again.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,331

Post#22 » by Arsenal » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:12 pm

We could win the title this year with a lot of luck, like injuries to other teams' key players, another team knocking out a better team by getting lucky shooting, etc.

We're currently 2nd in the league in BBall Ref's SRS at 9.2, (way) behind only Boston (16.75) and ahead of Denver (7.45) and everyone else. It will be interesting to see where we rank there and in other similar team stats after a few months.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#23 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:47 am

Yeah **** logic let's go positivity!
Maxey is a different breed, he will carry us in playoffs, this will allow Embiid to rest more on offense and focus on defense, will be more impactful as a result. Oubre is another player here, perfect system and is built for playoffs.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#24 » by M2J » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:04 am

sixers hoops wrote:I think Nurse is a much better coach, but Doc was a very good regular season coach for us. Every year we look really good for long stretches of the regular season. I think they need more firepower to have serious odds of winning the championship. There are several teams that could go on a massive hot streak like Nick Nurse’s Raptors and win a title. We are one of those teams, but without some more firepower, we look like the team who could flop in the second round again.

Agreed there. Heat like hot 3pt shooting could lead the Sixers to a title
Doramas
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#25 » by Doramas » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:55 am

We can't win with the current squad of players, we have to be realistic. We need at least two more players to provide leadership and defence.
Obviously I would also like to see them gamble in attack, make three-pointers, and create their own shots if possible, but I insist, the most important thing is that they are good defenders and most importantly that they offer LEADERSHIP. This team does not have a LEADER in difficult and complicated moments.
This is my humble opinion.
:nod:
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,841

Post#26 » by phillynative » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:41 am

Doramas wrote:We can't win with the current squad of players, we have to be realistic. We need at least two more players to provide leadership and defence.
Obviously I would also like to see them gamble in attack, make three-pointers, and create their own shots if possible, but I insist, the most important thing is that they are good defenders and most importantly that they offer LEADERSHIP. This team does not have a LEADER in difficult and complicated moments.

Who would you consider that player to be?
Doramas
Ballboy

Post#27 » by Doramas » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:39 pm

phillynative wrote:
Doramas wrote:We can't win with the current squad of players, we have to be realistic. We need at least two more players to provide leadership and defence.

Marcus Smart could be that leader, which Joel is not. With Smart, accompanied by Mikal Bridges or Anunoby, the Sixers would be one of the main favourites.
The pity of it all is that the Sixers had that leader, and we let him slip away. Jimmy Butler.

PS. The leader doesn't necessarily have to be your best player. For me, the leader of the Warriors is Draymon Green. Curry is one of the best guards in history, but without Draymon maybe the Warriors wouldn't have won four rings or made it to so many Finals.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#28 » by sixers hoops » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:08 pm

Doramas wrote:
phillynative wrote:

Marcus Smart could be that leader, which Joel is not. With Smart, accompanied by Mikal Bridges or Anunoby, the Sixers would be one of the main favourites.
The pity of it all is that the Sixers had that leader, and we let him slip away. Jimmy Butler.

I think PJ Tucker was a good leader, but you really need a guy with Embiid who can take control during tough stretches of playoff games. Not as much of a motivational locker room presence, but an on-court presence who can perform in high pressure situations.

The Sixers are a veteran team with a quality locker room. Joel and Maxey are loved by their teammates. Tobias, Cov, Morris, Batum are all respected vets. Beverly is an emotional on-court leader, but I don’t know how good he actually is.

I think they just need a guy who can be relied upon to perform in big games because when the going gets tough, Embiid struggles. Tobias is useless in important possessions. I hope a better tactical coach puts Embiid in better situations to succeed and Maxey becomes a finisher.

Salary cap wise, they say it’s tough to have three stars, but I think the Sixers need to add a legit scorer to this mix. Against Boston, for instance, Embiid struggles against Horford and Maxey against White. Either those stars learn how to win against any matchup or we get a third scorer in here to solve the problem. Ultimately, I think the only leadership void is just having a player to put the team on his back when the games get tough.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#29 » by mjkvol » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:41 pm

Doramas wrote:Marcus Smart could be that leader, which Joel is not. With Smart, accompanied by Mikal Bridges or Anunoby, the Sixers would be one of the main favourites.

Ferry, is that you?

It's very interesting that people are pushing to add 'leaders' and 'winning players' like Smart and Butler, who between them have as many rings as Embiid.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Doramas
Ballboy

Post#30 » by Doramas » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:57 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Doramas wrote:Marcus Smart could be that leader, which Joel is not. With Smart, accompanied by Mikal Bridges or Anunoby, the Sixers would be one of the main favourites.

Ferry, is that you?

It's very interesting that people are pushing to add 'leaders' and 'winning players' like Smart and Butler, who between them have as many rings as Embiid.

I'm a Sixers fan, no one doubts that, but that doesn't cloud my view that Embiid has no character or winning gene, or so far hasn't shown it. Both Smart and Butler have come infinitely closer to winning than Embiid. And Butler, with a scrappy team, has made it to the finals practically on his own.

PS. Hopefully I'll eat my words, and Embiid shows character and a winning gene. I'll be the first to rejoice.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,992

Post#31 » by Stanford » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:19 pm

We should just trade Embiid (losing genome) for a winning genome guy like Caleb Martin or Bruce Brown.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,551

Post#32 » by elchengue20 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:08 pm

76ciology wrote:Key in winning the title is to have a back-up plan when Embiid is spiritually absent.

Good bigs are easy to find. Get a Nic Claxton/Jarett Allen type big then shift into a guard heavy offense then have the big protect the rim and catch lobs, if Embiid is going through “it”.

That makes no sense, if Biid can't grow up we aren't winning anyway. Why on earth would you spend assets on a backup plan.

That's like the Clippers saying they bring Harden in case Khawi or PG 13 get hurt. If they are hurt they aint winning, makes no sense if you goal is to win a championship.

The only thing we are lacking is a good secondary playmaker on the perimter. We can't rely only on Maxey.

The issue is to find another one who's also good enough defensively and can keep defenses streched off the ball. Not easy.

If that player isn't available, i guess the other route is to trade for upgrades on what we already have and pray our defense is going to improve and carry us, while Maxey and Biid go also crazy offensively. In that case i guess the way is to upgrade Beverly/Melton with Caruso or Batum/Roco with OG or something like that.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,102

Post#33 » by Embiid P » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:11 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Doramas wrote:
phillynative wrote:

I think PJ Tucker was a good leader, but you really need a guy with Embiid who can take control during tough stretches of playoff games. Not as much of a motivational locker room presence, but an on-court presence who can perform in high pressure situations.

The Sixers are a veteran team with a quality locker room. Joel and Maxey are loved by their teammates. Tobias, Cov, Morris, Batum are all respected vets. Beverly is an emotional on-court leader, but I don’t know how good he actually is.

I think they just need a guy who can be relied upon to perform in big games because when the going gets tough, Embiid struggles. Tobias is useless in important possessions. I hope a better tactical coach puts Embiid in better situations to succeed and Maxey becomes a finisher.

Salary cap wise, they say it’s tough to have three stars, but I think the Sixers need to add a legit scorer to this mix. Against Boston, for instance, Embiid struggles against Horford and Maxey against White. Either those stars learn how to win against any matchup or we get a third scorer in here to solve the problem. Ultimately, I think the only leadership void is just having a player to put the team on his back when the games get tough.

I think a big but often overlooked part of our struggles against Boston is their bench vs. our bench. Notice they usually make their runs vs. us in the late third early 4th. When Maxey and Harris go out, it leaves Embiid alone to shoulder the scoring load which causes him to be fatigued at the end of games hence his late 4th quarter struggles. Not having Oubre and Batum definitely hurts us in that regard but adding another reliable shot creator off the bench would allow Embiid to conserve his energy for the final few minutes and would be a lot cheaper to add than a third star.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#34 » by M2J » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:16 pm

76ciology wrote:Key in winning the title is to have a back-up plan when Embiid is spiritually absent.

Good bigs are easy to find. Get a Nic Claxton/Jarett Allen type big then shift into a guard heavy offense then have the big protect the rim and catch lobs, if Embiid is going through “it”.

You do that by bringing in another guy you can turn to for offense, and allow Joel to become that defensive focused rebounder, screener, decoy
Doramas
Ballboy

Post#35 » by Doramas » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:31 pm

Stanford wrote:We should just trade Embiid (losing genome) for a winning genome guy like Caleb Martin or Bruce Brown.

That's what you are saying, not me. Embiid is the second best center in the competition, but in the regular season. So far he hasn't shown anything noteworthy in the playoffs, and that's Joel's reality. That's why, because he's lacking, he needs to be helped. I don't think I'm saying anything that nobody has seen.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,992

Post#36 » by Stanford » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:37 pm

Doramas wrote:Embiid is the second best center in the competition

Poor mitochondria though
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,934

Post#37 » by kuclas » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:05 pm

Embiid just needs to stay healthy for the playoffs. Just look at the last 3 playoffs when it's near peak Embiid. He can't get out of the first round without sustaining an injury that causing him to miss 1-2 playoff games in the second round.

No team can afford to have their star player miss any games in the second round of the playoff or be at less than 90%. A healthy Embiid, we get pass the Hawks easily (his knees got worst as the games wore on with the partial tear, no lift near end of the games).

Same with the Miami Heat series. He was playing at 75%.

Same with the Celtics. Look at Embiid mobility issues in those games and Harden won 2 games literally by himself with Embiid at 80%.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,623

Post#38 » by Iverson Armband » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:20 pm

kuclas wrote:Embiid just needs to stay healthy for the playoffs. Just look at the last 3 playoffs when it's near peak Embiid. He can't get out of the first round without sustaining an injury that causing him to miss 1-2 playoff games in the second round.

No team can afford to have their star player miss any games in the second round of the playoff or be at less than 90%. A healthy Embiid, we get pass the Hawks easily (his knees got worst as the games wore on with the partial tear, no lift near end of the games).

Same with the Miami Heat series. He was playing at 75%.

Same with the Celtics. Look at Embiid mobility issues in those games and Harden won 2 games literally by himself with Embiid at 80%.

I don’t agree with this, but even if it were true all this proves is that he can never be relied upon lol. Can’t assume he’ll be healthy when he literally never is.
always a jump shot away.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,551

Post#39 » by elchengue20 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:26 pm

If we want to win he needs to be healthy AND to grow a pair. Thats the only way.

If we dont believe he can do it, there is no point in looking for patches or a plan B. We should just trade him for a haul while we can and be done with this.

Personally, I want to believe he can do it and give him another chance this season.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#40 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:52 pm

Doramas wrote:
Stanford wrote:We should just trade Embiid (losing genome) for a winning genome guy like Caleb Martin or Bruce Brown.

That's what you are saying, not me. Embiid is the second best center in the competition, but in the regular season. So far he hasn't shown anything noteworthy in the playoffs, and that's Joel's reality. That's why, because he's lacking, he needs to be helped. I don't think I'm saying anything that nobody has seen.

Burner account? Once Ferry and1s this post, we'll all be fooled.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers