ImageImageImage

Game 11: Celtics @ Sixers 11/15 @ 7:30 pm ET ESPN Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Re: Game 11: Celtics @ Sixers 11/15 @ 7:30 pm ET ESPN Thread 

Post#301 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:29 am

Jhawk03 wrote:Meh, Celtics spammed threes as they always do. Can't let Luke Kornet prop up Celtics on key possessions down the stretch either. I'm not concerned overall because much bigger things were at play in THIS game that most here don't discuss or rightfully ignore, but I did hint at it a little prior to tip off in my first post.

It's November and this game was Thanksgiving for the scum of posters here and on the GB who seem to have an irrational hatred of this team and have for far too long now.

This second paragraph is so spot on! I called this the other night before the Pacers loss. I said prep yourselves for two losses, and prep yourselves for the window to be opened that let's all the flies on. It happens every time we lose. The bottom feeding cynics show up and regurgitate the same crap they've been spewing for years now. I simply stayed off the entire site last night because I knew this was going to happen. It's all good man. We're going to bounce back. Of course the team needs to get better, of course we have areas that could use an upgrade, but the sky isn't falling. Minnesota lost last night, I wonder if their fan base imploded?
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#302 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:37 am

brannigan73 wrote:-9 and -15 from Embiid in back to back games. Not great. I keep waiting for him to come into the season in the shape a guy like Jokic is.

Sure, because Joko. Is the poster boy for how a professional athlete is supposed to look. Seriously? Jokic is the Tyson Fury of the NBA.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,989

Post#303 » by Stanford » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:38 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
brannigan73 wrote:-9 and -15 from Embiid in back to back games. Not great. I keep waiting for him to come into the season in the shape a guy like Jokic is.

Sure, because Joko. Is the poster boy for how a professional athlete is supposed to look. Seriously? Jokic is the Tyson Fury of the NBA.

Can't remember anyone ever questioning Jokic's conditioning.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#304 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:54 am

Stanford wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Jokic, I misspelled it. I'm definitely not questioning his conditioning or even throwing off on him. I like Jokic. I just don't get why Embiid gets so much hate. The first semblance of a loss and people show up to hate on Embiid while comparing how crappy he is vrs how awesome Jokic is.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#305 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:05 pm

It's always the same story with him, amazing against most of the field but against those 2-3 elite teams he is disappointing. We need to accept his limitations and stop thinking he is the franchise, it would be better if we trusted Maxey more instead.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#306 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:07 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Stanford wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Jokic, I misspelled it. I'm definitely not questioning his conditioning or even throwing off on him. I like Jokic. I just don't get why Embiid gets so much hate. The first semblance of a loss and people show up to hate on Embiid while comparing how crappy he is vrs how awesome Jokic is.

I mean it's pretty simple, not hate, but reality, Embiid is not built for playoff atmosphere on offense, part of his game relies on drawing fouls and he is not particularly good against double teams. Jokic is the opposite of that.
It's not hate to point out the years of evidence of him coming up short when it matters, at this point this is who he is until he proves otherwise, it's on him to prove us wrong.
But of course, it's easier to say "hate" or "trolling".
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,989

Post#307 » by Stanford » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:57 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Jokic, I misspelled it. I'm definitely not questioning his conditioning or even throwing off on him. I like Jokic. I just don't get why Embiid gets so much hate. The first semblance of a loss and people show up to hate on Embiid while comparing how crappy he is vrs how awesome Jokic is.

Because Embiid has a history of playing poorly under pressure. Jokic has thoroughly shed any reputation for that he once had. Games like last night (didn't watch) are just a reminder of past failures.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,989

Post#308 » by Mik317 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:37 pm

until Biid breaks thru then yeah he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt. It is what is is. His peers Giannis and Jokic both went through that.

I just wish we wouldn't have these "I TOLD YOU SO" contests at the first sign of trouble lol.

Its frustrating as hell that some people only show up when the team loses
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 858

Post#309 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:52 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Stanford wrote:

I mean it's pretty simple, not hate, but reality, Embiid is not built for playoff atmosphere on offense, part of his game relies on drawing fouls and he is not particularly good against double teams. Jokic is the opposite of that.
It's not hate to point out the years of evidence of him coming up short when it matters, at this point this is who he is until he proves otherwise, it's on him to prove us wrong.
But of course, it's easier to say "hate" or "trolling".

"Trolling" occurs when someone posts something for no purpose other than to arouse an emotional response in other people. One can easily be pissed off about how this team appears to be anchored in a second-round playoff exit every year by virtue of its lack of character, driven primarily by Embiid (and previously Simmons and Harden, other players without championship character), post that, and have it simply be self expression that has nothing to do with arousing anybody else's feelings.

In other words, don't flatter yourself. Not everybody here is posting things with YOU and your feelings in mind. I couldn't care less about what feelings are aroused in everybody else by my posts here -- I'm going to respectfully post what I believe about the team, and if you're unable to insulate yourself against it in some way that causes you distress, well then there is an ignore function here that works quite well. Likewise I'll give you the freedom to respectfully post whatever you believe, and I won't make you try to "own" whatever it might do to my feelings.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Post#310 » by Negrodamus » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:14 pm

Read on Twitter

My takeaway is that Springer owns Tatum.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#311 » by mjkvol » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:26 pm

The trolls are gonna troll, it's what they clearly live for. As annoying as it is for those of us that just want to discuss the Sixers and hoops, they are a fact of life in all social media.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#312 » by mjkvol » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:29 pm

One big positive that has developed this season is the non-Embiid minutes not being the black hole they have been for the last 5-6 seasons, but instead actually the opposite. Last night a rag tag group that had Beverley, Morris, Reed, and Springer in the lineup at times actually got us back in the game.

We missed Oubre and Batum big time, but so much credit goes to Nurse for the motion and energy his system has provided. I hope that Springer continues to see time even after the two wings return, but the less of Morris and Beverley the better.

What Nurse is going to have to address are the games when Embiid doesn't have it, like last night. The ball can't stop like it did most of the time he was on the floor last night, and especially down the stretch. Dare I say it, but when we are at full strength there might be nights where he needs to stay on the bench if the team is playing well in the 4th quarter and he hasn't been sharp. But either way, there has to be a better approach to the closing minutes that keeps the ball moving.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,825

Post#313 » by the_process » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:53 pm

mjkvol wrote:One big positive that has developed this season is the non-Embiid minutes not being the black hole they have been for the last 5-6 seasons, but instead actually the opposite. Last night a rag tag group that had Beverley, Morris, Reed, and Springer in the lineup at times actually got us back in the game.

We missed Oubre and Batum big time, but so much credit goes to Nurse for the motion and energy his system has provided. I hope that Springer continues to see time even after the two wings return, but the less of Morris and Beverley the better.

What Nurse is going to have to address are the games when Embiid doesn't have it, like last night. The ball can't stop like it did most of the time he was on the floor last night, and especially down the stretch. Dare I say it, but when we are at full strength there might be nights where he needs to stay on the bench if the team is playing well in the 4th quarter and he hasn't been sharp. But either way, there has to be a better approach to the closing minutes that keeps the ball moving.

Spot on, except IMO Morris and Beverley should not be on the court except in blowouts.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#314 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:07 pm

mjkvol wrote:One big positive that has developed this season is the non-Embiid minutes not being the black hole they have been for the last 5-6 seasons, but instead actually the opposite. Last night a rag tag group that had Beverley, Morris, Reed, and Springer in the lineup at times actually got us back in the game.

The single most important ingredient for this team right now is a head coach who has the balls to indeed sit Embiid when he's functioning as he did last night. Anybody functioning as a ball and chain on the team cannot be on the court, or that player will undermine the team physically and emotionally. The team's record when Embiid isn't playing is instructive and gives the necessary legitimacy to that approach.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,591

Post#315 » by youngcrev » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:15 pm

Embiid looked gassed the night before trying to keep up with the Pacers, of course he was gonna look like **** in this one.

I'm worried about the negative potential outcomes to him playing all these regular season minutes, but maybe that'll end up being the difference in the playoffs when he needs to carry them on both sides of the ball for 40+ a night without being gassed down the stretch.

I feel like his coordination and decision making just goes to **** when he's tired.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#316 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:42 pm

youngcrev wrote:Embiid looked gassed the night before trying to keep up with the Pacers, of course he was gonna look like **** in this one.

I'm worried about the negative potential outcomes to him playing all these regular season minutes, but maybe that'll end up being the difference in the playoffs when he needs to carry them on both sides of the ball for 40+ a night without being gassed down the stretch.

I feel like his coordination and decision making just goes to **** when he's tired.

Part of the problem with Embiid however is that whatever is driving his behavior in that way creates a physical AND an emotional decrement on the court. A player can be exhausted physically but nonetheless be invigorated emotionally and thereby inspirational of other players.

Imagine for example a quarterback in the NFL who was not only gassed physically but also called plays in the huddle and interacted with teammates in a "blah" manner. That would have quite the effect, and I think it does for this team as well.

You can be gassed physically but still be highly driven emotionally, and that will be felt by your teammates and will inspire them, even though you might not be able to provide your typical physical contribution. That is part of having the character of a champion in team sports.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,623

Post#317 » by Iverson Armband » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:01 pm

Embiid has GOT to stop this obsession with trying to be point center and bring the ball up the court because he sees Jokic do it.
always a jump shot away.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#318 » by youngcrev » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:05 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Embiid looked gassed the night before trying to keep up with the Pacers, of course he was gonna look like **** in this one.

Part of the problem with Embiid however is that whatever is driving his behavior in that way creates a physical AND an emotional decrement on the court. A player can be exhausted physically but nonetheless be invigorated emotionally and thereby inspirational of other players.

Imagine for example a quarterback in the NFL who was not only gassed physically but also called plays in the huddle and interacted with teammates in a "blah" manner. That would have quite the effect, and I think it does for this team as well.

You can be gassed physically but still be highly driven emotionally, and that will be felt by your teammates and will inspire them, even though you might not be able to provide your typical physical contribution. That is part of having the character of a champion in team sports.

It would be nice if he had that personality, but he doesn't, and I don't think that's changing. I don't think your best player needs to be your leader, though it would certainly help. I don't really think Maxey is that guy either. Maybe its a trait they should be looking for in their next star hunting venture, I'm not sure it's completely vital to winning a championship though either.

It is loser **** though when he visibly gets down, and I'd like to see less of it. I'm hoping conditioning fixes some of it.

Outside of the Jimmy year, reliance has not been a quality of this team during Embiid's tenure.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,825

Post#319 » by the_process » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:48 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:

It would be nice if he had that personality, but he doesn't, and I don't think that's changing. I don't think your best player needs to be your leader, though it would certainly help. I don't really think Maxey is that guy either. Maybe its a trait they should be looking for in their next star hunting venture, I'm not sure it's completely vital to winning a championship though either.

It is loser **** though when he visibly gets down, and I'd like to see less of it. I'm hoping conditioning fixes some of it.

Outside of the Jimmy year, reliance has not been a quality of this team during Embiid's tenure.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#320 » by youngcrev » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:51 pm

Next time Nurse sees that from Embiid he should burn a timeout and hand him a Snickers bar.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers