ImageImageImage

Game 11: Celtics @ Sixers 11/15 @ 7:30 pm ET ESPN Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Re: Game 11: Celtics @ Sixers 11/15 @ 7:30 pm ET ESPN Thread 

Post#261 » by mjkvol » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:12 am

phillynative wrote:Doris Burke sounds like she wants to take her dentures out and give every last celtics a blow job jn the locker room. :lol:

She spent most of the game switching between giving Horford, Tatum, and White verbal BJ's. I never thought I'd hear a broadcast worse than Kate and Alaa - well, never say never.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,612

Post#262 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:15 am

Our offense was VERY sloppy to start the 4th. We should’ve been attacking Kornet with Maxey in the PnR relentlessly. Instead Maxey went 3 possessions without touching the ball because we were content to let him be face guarded.

That’s my biggest frustration from the game honestly. We made it entirely too easy for them to neutralize our star PG for long stretches.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,841

Post#263 » by phillynative » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:18 am

Jailblazers7 wrote:That was I hope a valuable lesson for Nurse. He’s gotta be much sharper with his lineup decision.

I’ll give him some grace too because he needs time to figure out how to manage Embiid. Unfortunately, one of the primary tasks of a Sixers coach is figuring out how to manage around a disengaged or tired Embiid.

Exactly . Hopefully this was a little wake up call for him and the team. I'm really hoping he takes a different approach with him.
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 480

Post#264 » by Sixercise » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:19 am

Also, what kind of dirt does Horford have on Embiid?!
rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,609

Post#265 » by NYSixersFan » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:19 am

When was the last time Embiid played 3 games in 4 nights? Has it ever happened before?
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#266 » by Skates » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:20 am

So when the best the full strength Celtics that one didn’t count?

This season has shown how good this team can be with athletic wings next to Maxey and Embiid. Kelly and Batum have really lifted this team when in the court and while good players, they aren’t the same level we can hopefully add down the line.

This team has lacked athleticism on the wing forever and this year we have seen what a difference that makes, both when those guys are playing and when they aren’t.

Along with Jo’s massive numbers and Maxey’s leap, that athletic wing depth shows you the design we need to follow, plus add a reasonably competent backup PG. Acting like the team is a fraud because of this loss is weak and whiny, the stuff of bad sports talk radio idjits.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,076

Post#267 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:27 am

NYSixersFan wrote:When was the last time Embiid played 3 games in 4 nights? Has it ever happened before?

He did last year towards the end of the year in March, but he was in better shape. This early in the season he's probably just not in the shape to do it.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#268 » by mjkvol » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:28 am

Mik317 wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:So basically what you see here is that when opposing teams started the season taking the Sixers lightly, they were able to prevail. Now that teams are getting serious about playing them, they can’t match their intensity, especially in the clutch.

or maybe just maybe the team is missing two players, is on a back to back and yet had a chance to win both games.

Look I personally don't think this team has enough to win it all...but holy ****, the fact that we go RIGHT back to the same rhetoric so quickly and yet either are ghost or go "see they are doing what I a certified genius said they should do so thats why they are winning" when things aren't going bad...is so **** annoying lol.

I just want people to let things breathe before rushing to go "see I told you so" after such small stretches lol. Team isn't the GOAT and will win it all but they also shouldn't trade Biid while they can and perhaps also trade Maxey because of a game in november with these specific set ups.

ALSO Boston is a damn good team...Brown or ZIngis out or not.

I like to have fun and joke around but holy **** I also just want to talk real ball sometimes and not just WIP level takery about not wanting it enough or not having the right soul or whatever.

Thank you.

The 'crawl out from under their rocks' crowd just cannot get here fast enough after a loss, it's really pathetic. We've established that this isn't a finished product, two contributors were out, and Boston is pretty good. And it's f***king November.

The Sixers have been as much fun to watch this season as they have in an eternity, and still the same idiot trolls find their way here at the slightest down turn. Damn, the way people live to share the misery their own lives must be.

Anyway, I loved seeing Springer get quality time, settle in and make some plays. RoCo looks like he will contribute in a smaller role than he had tonight, and Maxey is learning to play with a target on his back. It's crystal clear how vital having those athletic wings have been this year, and how much they were missed tonight. Morey is taking stock of what is happening.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,076

Post#269 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:30 am

I'm just glad to hear Doc on this telecast for the Lakers instead of doing our press conference right now.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 858

Post#270 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:34 am

Skates wrote:So when the best the full strength Celtics that one didn’t count?

This season has shown how good this team can be with athletic wings next to Maxey and Embiid. Kelly and Batum have really lifted this team when in the court and while good players, they aren’t the same level we can hopefully add down the line.

This team has lacked athleticism on the wing forever and this year we have seen what a difference that makes, both when those guys are playing and when they aren’t.

Along with Jo’s massive numbers and Maxey’s leap, that athletic wing depth shows you the design we need to follow, plus add a reasonably competent backup PG. Acting like the team is a fraud because of this loss is weak and whiny, the stuff of bad sports talk radio idjits.

This stuff is much more emotionally driven than people seem to realize. You can’t tell me the Celtics missing Porziņģis and Brown can beat the Sixers by 10 points at home, yet Oubre and Batum are the difference. The difference is that the Celtics simply aren’t going to let the Sixers challenge them as the studs in the East by beating them twice within the first 10 games of the season, and their emotional drive in that regard overcomes the absence of two of their best players.

Until the Sixers generate a heart and soul that is similarly driven to get themselves atop the East, this kind of game will be the most common result. One team has the character of a champion and the other one simply doesn’t. And that starts with how the latter team’s best player functions emotionally all too often on the court — very much unlike a champion.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,989

Post#271 » by Mik317 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:35 am

Sixercise wrote:Also, what kind of dirt does Horford have on Embiid?!

I hate him because he lost all ability here but

Horford is a very smart and patient defender. He has the length and gile to not fall for Biid's tricks and enough girth (ayo) to body him up. Thus it forces Biid to have to take his time but also be assertive and precise and that is a recipe for disaster as that is when Biid is at his worst. He "beats" Horford when he just **** goes and doesn't give him time to set up. Thats harder to do when teams don't give a **** about 3 of your teammates lol. Oubre being an unrepentant chucklord helped the non Maxey lineups and Batum has a quick release and is not a zero as a passer so also helped. Pat Bev can get the ball to Biid and start the offense but is useless off ball as a shooter. Cov has also been terrible shooting and is more standstill at the moment so teams live with it...Morris is asscheeks. Melton's return to form has come off of him just shooting it instead of thinking about it.

BUT still I think the moment Biid holds the ball trying to set up the jumper or a drive is the moment Horford wins those matchups...someone needs to tell him to just **** attack off the catch,,,which is something he had been doing during the run. Been settling for too many jumpers and drifting too far out and trying to get the ball on the mid post which allows for easier doubles in general.

BUT like I said this is great to happen this early in the year, ideally he will learn from these struggles and adjust and ideally the FO makes it so we add guys who can make it harder to force Biid into his worst tendencies.

I keep going back to it. Giannis is a better player than Biid or at the very least plays harder HOWEVER he too has things he struggles with. I don't know if it works this year lol but giving him a Dame to create in the clutch is ideal. During their chip run again it was Jrue taking the bulk of the offense set up, Middleton being the closer, and them having copius ammounts of shooters and on ball defenders to allow Giannis to roam and make it hard to pack the paint. That was done for a better player and a guy who works his ass off....doesn't mean that Giannis actually sucks because he can't shoot, has no bag, and is slightly overrated as an on ball defender and thus should be traded to Cuba. Its part of the game man.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,612

Post#272 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:37 am

Lmao I kind of love Ferry Ave posts

It’s always some corny **** like “Boston simply put their foot down & said ‘no sir not on my watch’”
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,825

Post#273 » by the_process » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:39 am

This team goes as Embiid and Maxey goes. Speaking of that, Sad Boi Jojo is getting real old.

Anyway, what I'm taking from this game is 1)Batum and Oubre are important to this team, and 2)Morey has work to do. The guards need to be improved. Don't tell me you don't need another ballhandler because he won't crack the rotation. That's horse****. Beverley needs to be placed on the end of the bench, and Melton needs to be upgraded. And even though I'm personally not a fan, let's just throw Springer out there and see how it goes.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,825

Post#274 » by the_process » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:43 am

Mik317 wrote:
Sixercise wrote:Also, what kind of dirt does Horford have on Embiid?!

I hate him because he lost all ability here but

Horford is a very smart and patient defender. He has the length and gile to not fall for Biid's tricks and enough girth (ayo) to body him up. Thus it forces Biid to have to take his time but also be assertive and precise and that is a recipe for disaster as that is when Biid is at his worst. He "beats" Horford when he just **** goes and doesn't give him time to set up. Thats harder to do when teams don't give a **** about 3 of your teammates lol. Oubre being an unrepentant chucklord helped the non Maxey lineups and Batum has a quick release and is not a zero as a passer so also helped. Pat Bev can get the ball to Biid and start the offense but is useless off ball as a shooter. Cov has also been terrible shooting and is more standstill at the moment so teams live with it...Morris is asscheeks. Melton's return to form has come off of him just shooting it instead of thinking about it.

BUT still I think the moment Biid holds the ball trying to set up the jumper or a drive is the moment Horford wins those matchups...someone needs to tell him to just **** attack off the catch,,,which is something he had been doing during the run. Been settling for too many jumpers and drifting too far out and trying to get the ball on the mid post which allows for easier doubles in general.

BUT like I said this is great to happen this early in the year, ideally he will learn from these struggles and adjust and ideally the FO makes it so we add guys who can make it harder to force Biid into his worst tendencies.

I keep going back to it. Giannis is a better player than Biid or at the very least plays harder HOWEVER he too has things he struggles with. I don't know if it works this year lol but giving him a Dame to create in the clutch is ideal. During their chip run again it was Jrue taking the bulk of the offense set up, Middleton being the closer, and them having copius ammounts of shooters and on ball defenders to allow Giannis to roam and make it hard to pack the paint. That was done for a better player and a guy who works his ass off....doesn't mean that Giannis actually sucks because he can't shoot, has no bag, and is slightly overrated as an on ball defender and thus should be traded to Cuba. Its part of the game man.

Horford's demise here was greatlly overstated.

A starting five of Embiid/Horford/Tobias/JRich/Simmons was always always always going to end up in a massive struggle. Because they don't have enough spacing, and Simmons had anti-gravity allowing the opposing team an extra defender, exacerbating the spacing problems even more.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Post#275 » by Negrodamus » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:50 am

Horford could have worked but we had a 6’10 PF playing point guard.

There’s always been some extremely wonky thing happening during Embiid’s time here. Main ones being Ben at point and the most overrated coach in NBA history running the show for much longer than he should have.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#276 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:50 am

the_process wrote:This team goes as Embiid and Maxey goes. Speaking of that, Sad Boi Jojo is getting real old.

“Sad Boi Jojo” is exactly what keeps this team from functioning at a championship level. The character that creates for the team will always be overcome by a good team in the playoffs that suffers from no such lack of drive in its key players, as well as by such teams trying to make a statement against the Sixers during the regular season.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#277 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:57 am

Negrodamus wrote:Horford could have worked but we had a 6’10 PF playing point guard.

There’s always been some extremely wonky thing happening during Embiid’s time here. Main ones being Ben at point and the most overrated coach in NBA history running the show for much longer than he should have.

And yet when the team was centered around Jimmy Butler, a guy with championship character, none of that mattered. They were far more championship-caliber than they have been at any other time during Embiid‘s tenure.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Post#278 » by Negrodamus » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:00 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Horford could have worked but we had a 6’10 PF playing point guard.

And yet when the team was centered around Jimmy Butler, a guy with championship character, none of that mattered. They were far more championship-caliber than they have been at any other time during Embiid‘s tenure.

Ben was PG when it would have made more sense to let Jimmy be point guard, but politics and whatnot. Still was a trash fit despite championship talent.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,989

Post#279 » by Mik317 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:01 am

didn't know Jimmy is a multi time champ.

also didn't know he played here for Doc.

And I am pretty sure Ben got moved off the point spot during that run

AND the team had primo spacing then too.

but no I am sure it was the will of the lion as the only reason we got...let me check my notes to a game 7 in the second round...instead of now...when we get to game 7s in the second round.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#280 » by Skates » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:04 am

Ben was the point guard till end of tight game situations when the ball was handed to Jimmy in the last five minutes and Simmons went to the dunker spot…so you are both right!

Return to Philadelphia 76ers