ImageImageImage

Kelly Oubre struck by car, serious injuries, but not life threatening

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,818

Re: Kelly Oubre struck by car, serious injuries, but not life threatening 

Post#41 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:00 am

I dont think you can walk for 5 mins for a broken or fractured bone. Even for severe sprain ankle.

Ive never had that type of injury before.

Worst i have is a dislocated shoulder than messed up my shooting (im not markelle) but who knows.. maybe his tolerance of pain is through the roof.

So my guess is.. he’d likely be out for several weeks than several months.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,841

Post#42 » by phillynative » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:05 am

I'm happy he will be OK . Hopefully he makes a full recovery and will be able to play close to the same level he was before.

This situation points to 3 sh*tty things .

1. His contract situation. He was on a 1 year , minimum contract. He's obviously played above that and has done everything that the sixers have asked of him. Now how long will his recovery be before he's able to return, so he can have enough time to perform for another contact, one that he deserves?...

2. Like Mik said earlier, we just can't have nice things. The vibes were too high, too many pieces fitting in, team was looking too solid...
Has there been another basketball franchise that has had so many odd and unfortunate occurences in such a short period of time. It's really sickening at this point and borderline traumatizing. I was expecting an injury soon because this is sports and thats normal... Buhhh leave it to Philly to run over one of their best players having one of the best starts of the season. The fact that it was a hit & run adds to the sh*ttyness of it all :noway:

3. I find some dark irony in the fact that 76ers proposed to build their stadium down center city and the folks against it one of the reasoning was the amount traffic that would be brought along with it. So for one of the actual players of the 76ers to get hit by a car down there is really just wtf. As far as center city , it already gets pretty wild down there on the weekends with so many people entering the city and meeting there, maybe under the influence. The drivers run lights, road rage and pretty much park wherever and the pedestrians aren't any better crossing in the middle of the street , not paying attention, crossing during a red light and daring a car to hit them, the homeless etc ... Center city is not as safe as led on...Either way not a good look.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#43 » by eyeatoma » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:26 am

76ciology wrote:I dont think you can walk for 5 mins for a broken or fractured bone. Even for severe sprain ankle.

Worst i have is a dislocated shoulder than messed up my shooting (im not markelle) but who knows.. maybe his tolerance of pain is through the roof.

Hope so, however never doubt someone';s ability to push through pain when you're fighting for your life. You can fracture an arm and still be able to walk.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,841

Post#44 » by phillynative » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:48 am

eyeatoma wrote:
76ciology wrote:I dont think you can walk for 5 mins for a broken or fractured bone. Even for severe sprain ankle.

Hope so, however never doubt someone';s ability to push through pain when you're fighting for your life. You can fracture an arm and still be able to walk.

Yea I was thinking he might have been in shock , when he tried to walk. He didn't get very far from the scene when he was found , so he probably realized he was more hurt than he originally thought or hoped.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#45 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:03 pm

phillynative wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Yea I was thinking he might have been in shock , when he tried to walk. He didn't get very far from the scene when he was found , so he probably realized he was more hurt than he originally thought or hoped.

Thats also a possibility.

the scene of the accident was on a busy and main street, with some cafes and restaurants. And maybe he walked to his apartment where he was staying (The Drake) for help.
Then the medical check-up was more for precautionary measures. Well, im hoping this was the case.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,073

Post#46 » by Negrodamus » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:06 pm

I’d honestly be more surprised if it wasn’t a hit and run.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#47 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:20 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I’d honestly be more surprised if it wasn’t a hit and run.

Dont the street have cameras to see the car plate?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,993

Post#48 » by Stanford » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:26 pm

Opinion: it's fine to post Kelly's stats on twitter.
Dude-niagara
Bench Warmer
And1: 984

Post#49 » by Dude-niagara » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:28 pm

Raps fan here in peace, praying for Oubre's speedy recovery. Just terrible to see a player get run down by a car. I thought Oubre was playing lights out and by far the best value free agent signing in the league.

Oubre's early scoring contributions made it much easier for you guys to trade away Harden
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,073

Post#50 » by Negrodamus » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:31 pm

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I’d honestly be more surprised if it wasn’t a hit and run.

Dont the street have cameras to see the car plate?

Yes, there likely is footage, however the car could have one of those fake paper license plates or simply have no plates at all.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#51 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:42 pm

Kelly Oubre. Jr., who was struck by a vehicle Saturday night in Center City, is listed out with an illness.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#52 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:48 pm

Hope for a good recovery.
Our season is over, he was our 3rd best player, he was reallly important in what he provided on the court.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#53 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:01 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Hope for a good recovery.
Our season is over, he was our 3rd best player, he was reallly important in what he provided on the court.

You forgot the player that fans want to trade for crumbl cookie?
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#54 » by zaz102 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:07 pm

Sucks all around. Hope the dude is alright.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#55 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:13 pm

He'll be back. Glad he's ok. **** is crazy with drivers these days.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,231

Post#56 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:34 pm

Get well soon, bro. SMH at the jackasses in the city.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,153

Post#57 » by mjkvol » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:35 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Kova wrote:Feel bad for Kelly. Hope he is ok and recovers.

The fact that he walked on his own after the incident, and has been released from the hospital already sounds like injuries are not serious.
They said he'll be out for a significant time so I'm not sure about that.

Could be a broken wrist, ankle, etc., which would explain the early release but also mean missing significant time. The fact that he's been released this soon is the best news of all. Damn, can't even walk across the street any more in the city.

From a basketball POV, I would hope that Morey doesn't feel an urgent need to act right now. There is an eternity until the games start to really matter, and this gives Nurse a chance to see some players in more extended roles.

The Sixers will be fine, and hopefully Kelly will be able to recover and return at full strength.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,615

Post#58 » by Jailblazers7 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:43 pm

Just crazy & such a shock to the system. I hope he recovers quickly and plays well when he returns. He was on his way to a nice payday after this season.

Pedestrian safety is a massive issue in this country tho. In every city I’ve lived in, I’d prefer to navigate it on foot or by bike but the infrastructure is so car centric that it just isn’t safe. There’s always a bad stretch of road or a sketchy intersection to cross.

And that’s not even mentioning the total irresponsibility of American drivers & the entitlement that so many feel when they’re behind the wheel.
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 247

Post#59 » by Samson » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:35 pm

On a serious and personal note, you never know how or when this can happen. Kelly Oubre Jr. and his family are in my prayers.

When my kid sister was not yet 10, she spent the night at her best friend's house in a relatively rural part of our suburban town. Sunday morning, they woke up and took the family dog for a walk. She was struck by a pickup truck travelling aprox. 30mph (in a 25mph) that *did not break* until AFTER plowing into her, with clear sightlines for at least 500ft in all directions, with no other cars in the road in any directions, and absolutely no sight/vision/obstructions/distractions. - later on in the lawsuit, they basically got themselves in a corner by insisting (it was a 20-something man in a pickup truck with his girlfriend) - if you weren't speeding, and most of the experts agreed he wasn't (he was doing over the 25mph but admittedly everyone probably does, but they were unable to prove how fast he was going conclusively) - *how ON EARTH* DO YOU MISS TWO GRAMMAR-SCHOOL-GIRLS WALKING A DOG IN BROAD DAY LIGHT ON A COUNTRY ROAD WITH STRAIGHT LINES AND PERFECT VISIBILITY IN BOTH DIRECTIONS AND ALL AREAS?! He just kept insisting "I have no idea...' He wasn't giving any tickets because he was a member of the local Rescue Squad, and the Police Chief of the small-town PD we lived in, was also the 'President/Chief' of the Rescue Squad.

She broke her skull, pelvis, hip, arm/wrist/fingers etc (one arm and hand and everything was all messed up from sticking it out like 'blocking' the truck) - and was airlifted to CHoP , which saved her life and future.

Pretty much all the cops and experts on our side - my Dad was a much more important, higher ranking, LE VIP himself, but the Chief of our town didn't realize who my sister was at the time, so he took care of one of 'his guys' and got him out of there and didn't issue any citations etc. - they all agreed - either the couple had to be physically arguing and therefore not paying attention or physically getting it on of some sort - there was just no way in the world for it to be possible otherwise. But it still happened and damn near cost us her life and future.

So I completely understand - especially in Philly, someone having been drinking or smoking or going for a key-bump or just messing with the stereo system, isn't paying attention, hits someone who was doing nothing wrong at all, simply crossing a street- and I guess they took off too? Throw the book at them IMHO. Find them and punish them. This stuff has always been personal to me.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,390

Post#60 » by Murray_17 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:51 pm

Glad he survived and that it seems it wasn't serious enough to delay his career.

Hope we can get some update and best wishes to him, the team and his family man

Return to Philadelphia 76ers