Would try to get Finney-Smith and Dinwiddie and call it a day
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,203

Re: 76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 1 

Post#2022 » by M2J » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:47 pm

Wilfried wrote:Would try to get Finney-Smith and Dinwiddie and call it a day

Would be cool

Morey, or Harris... Due to finances are probably going to blow this.

Going through this season with this opportunity without doing everything you can, should be illegal
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#2023 » by zaz102 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:22 pm

We're getting to plan "Draft Bronny" territory.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#2024 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:32 pm

M2J wrote:

Would be cool

Going through this season with this opportunity without doing everything you can, should be illegal

Why would Morey screw this up? The one questionable move he made was signing PJ Tucker and he fixed that one and looked good doing it. Dude, have some faith in him. Every move he's made has been solid. He's got this. As far as Josh Harris (assuming that's who you're talking about) I don't like him at all. We agree on that one.
M2J
Starter

Post#2025 » by M2J » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:39 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
M2J wrote:

Would be cool

Why would Morey screw this up? The one questionable move he made was signing PJ Tucker and he fixed that one and looked good doing it. Dude, have some faith in him. Every move he's made has been solid. He's got this. As far as Josh Harris (assuming that's who you're talking about) I don't like him at all. We agree on that one.

We'll see.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,262

Post#2026 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:40 pm

M2J wrote:

Would be cool

Morey has done nothing but extend the life of this era after Brand/Brown/Colangelos almost fumbled it.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#2027 » by Covi_Marsh » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:53 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Covi_Marsh wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Paul George, aside from age, would be a near perfect fit with Embiid and Maxey. Defense, size, length, playmaking, shooting.

He also kinda feels like a pipedream. Balmer isn't letting talent walk out the door over money, particularly now that he's already committed to Kawhi.

This isn’t baseball. It’s not just money.

Teams cannot acquire a player in a sign-and-trade if that player keeps them above the apron

Teams cannot sign a player waived during the regular season whose salary was over the $12.2 million midlevel exception

Salary matching in trades must be within 110 percent, rather than 125 percent for teams not above the apron

No access to the $5 million taxpayer midlevel exception

Teams cannot use a trade exception generated by aggregating the salaries of multiple players

Teams cannot include cash in a trade

Teams cannot use a trade exception generated in a prior year

First-round picks seven years out are frozen (unable to be traded)

A team's first-round pick is moved to the end of the first round if they remain in the second apron for three out of five seasons

Good luck building a championship contender with all them restrictions. Will not be able to add anything except minimum contracts and drafted players of whatever picks they have left.

...And they were fully aware of all that when they made the trade for James Harden.

Steve Ballmer is the 5th richest man in the world, and has consistently been willing to pay outrageous amounts of money to make that team competitive. New rules are very prohibitive, but the cap is also expected to rise.

Not to mention, this whole diatribe about them not being able to pay 3 guys near max money completely ignores that the SIXERS WOULD BE PAYING 3 GUYS MAX MONEY in this scenario....

Maxey rookie scale max is only 25% of the cap unless u have him making all nba then it’ll be 30%. Theirs is 35% but regardless It’s not extra tax money that’s gonna make teams avoid the 2nd apron. It’s the fact they can’t use any exceptions to fill out the rest of the roster. And can’t trade future firsts with bad salary to try to bring in talent: you will be stuck signing vet minimum players.
As a free agent would u take a vet min offer to play for LA or take a 6 mil or whatever it is taxpayer exception to play with another contender?
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore

Post#2028 » by Covi_Marsh » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:01 pm

Warriors gave away Jordan Poole, Klay Thompson was offered 2 yr 48 mil before the season, Andrew Wiggins is on the block. Warriors understand that 2nd apron hurts. Celtics will have decisions to make once Jaylen Brown Supermax kicks in. Jrue Holiday will probably opt out looking for an extension. Derrick White will be on his last year this summer and looking for an extension, and Tatum needs his max.
Jrue may be available this summer but looks like he lost a step. Wonder what Derrick white is looking for. Don’t let him make all star lol. He will be looking for at least 35-40 mil.
M2J
Starter

Post#2029 » by M2J » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:16 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
M2J wrote:

Would be cool

Morey has done nothing but extend the life of this era after Brand/Brown/Colangelos almost fumbled it.

On life support he's extended the life. Which was created by his Harden fetish. He could've nailed that Simmons trade, could've traded Simmons before the 2021 playoffs if he wasn't so hung up on Harden.

That's also not forget that he allowed Harden to shape the team personnel wise. Like instead of Drummond who was running around as a free agent campaigning to Philly, there's Trez in addition to PJ and House I've got more, but....

All of that's not even the point, I'll defend that Morey is a top GM and has done good things too. I'm talking about this season and this trade should've already been done. Unless they're trying to stay under the cap (Harris), there's no way they can't make a big move at the deadline. Even if they get Paul George (and they won't) to go along with Maxey and Joel Embiid, they will struggle to build a team around them for at least a year. I mean remember, it takes time to even get into luxury tax, you can't just jump back into it and start spending. You either have space or you don't... Or tradable contracts or you don't.

I can't see him going after a contract like Grant honestly (should). I believe he's interested in Murray due to the value,but may have waited too late. Those 2 picks should have been traded. I mean that's not even a conflict as to what kind of player you going to be sending in that kind of a deal. Philly has expiring deals that were traded for to be traded by now.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#2030 » by zaz102 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:25 pm

M2J wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
M2J wrote:
Would be cool

On life support he's extended the life. Which was created by his Harden fetish. He could've nailed that Simmons trade, could've traded Simmons before the 2021 playoffs if he wasn't so hung up on Harden.

That's also not forget that he allowed Harden to shape the team personnel wise. Like instead of Drummond who was running around as a free agent campaigning to Philly, there's Trez in addition to PJ and House I've got more, but....

All of that's not even the point, I'll defend that Morey is a top GM and has done good things too. I'm talking about this season and this trade should've already been done. Unless they're trying to stay under the cap (Harris), there's no way they can't make a big move at the deadline. Even if they get Paul George (and they won't) to go along with Maxey and Joel Embiid, they will struggle to build a team around them for at least a year. I mean remember, it takes time to even get into luxury tax, you can't just jump back into it and start spending. You either have space or you don't... Or tradable contracts or you don't.

I can't see him going after a contract like Grant honestly (should). I believe he's interested in Murray due to the value,but may have waited too late. Those 2 picks should have been traded. I mean that's not even a conflict as to what kind of player you going to be sending in that kind of a deal. Philly has expiring deals that were traded for to be traded by now.
I don't know the right move, I would be happy with a Murray/DFS or Grant/Bogdan type moves, but it's fair to say sometimes the moves you make are the ones you don't make.

Being aggressive can lead to an albatross Tobias Harris or trading a Maxey for an over-the-hill Lowry. Unless you're making a home run, I think you have to take contract value into it, so you could possibly flip it later. I'm more worried about Grant's value nose diving than Murray's, but honestly don't feel great about either. On the other hand, if you don't make a move and barely lose to the Cs in the POs, it will be another loss that haunts us.

Going to be interesting to see how the deadline turns out.
M2J
Starter

Post#2031 » by M2J » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:21 pm

zaz102 wrote:
M2J wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

I don't know the right move, I would be happy with a Murray/DFS or Grant/Bogdan type moves, but it's fair to say sometimes the moves you make are the ones you don't make.

Being aggressive can lead to an albatross Tobias Harris or trading a Maxey for an over-the-hill Lowry. Unless you're making a home run, I think you have to take contract value into it, so you could possibly flip it later. I'm more worried about Grant's value nose diving than Murray's, but honestly don't feel great about either. On the other hand, if you don't make a move and barely lose to the Cs in the POs, it will be another loss that haunts us.

Going to be interesting to see how the deadline turns out.

Agreed. Which is why when Murray became available, it should've been priority
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#2032 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:31 pm

I still say we keep it small, find our Derrick White. He's playing in Chicago right now. Take a stab at Caruso and then ask Detroit what they want for Isaiah Stewart. That shores up our rebounding issues AND we get another guard that can play both ends of the floor. In my opinion, Caruso should be top priority.
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore

Post#2033 » by Covi_Marsh » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:39 pm

Honestly our rebounding problem is Embiid. He exerts all his energy on scoring and blocking shots. He doesn’t crash boards if he’s not already in the paint. Joker is already running front rim when the shot goes up. Embiid bal watches. He fights for the most when he comes back in from the bench in the 4th for the final 5-7 min stretch.
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore

Post#2034 » by Covi_Marsh » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:40 pm

Only real way to become elite rebounding is to get a rebounding PF like Dray Lauri Randle for example. Even Tatum is a great rebounder when he plays the 4 surprisingly.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#2035 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:43 pm

Covi_Marsh wrote:Honestly our rebounding problem is Embiid. He exerts all his energy on scoring and blocking shots. He doesn’t crash boards if he’s not already in the paint. Joker is already running front rim when the shot goes up. Embiid bal watches. He fights for the most when he comes back in from the bench in the 4th for the final 5-7 min stretch.

This, he doesn't do all the little things that lead to winning.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,541

Post#2036 » by Jailblazers7 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:50 pm

I think Morey’s patience has been his single best attribute as a Sixers GM. Pushing the chips in before the trade deadline this year because of some vague feeling that “now is the time” is what our previous clown car front offices would do.
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore

Post#2037 » by Covi_Marsh » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:59 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:I think Morey’s patience has been his single best attribute as a Sixers GM. Pushing the chips in before the trade deadline this year because of some vague feeling that “now is the time” is what our previous clown car front offices would do.

True but if we sit on this cap space we sure an hell better hope someone becomes available. Trading our expirings for pieces now gives us depth and a 3rd star. Waiting until summer leaves us with Embiid, Maxey, Reed and Springer. No max players are available except possibly Paul George. so if we make a trade into our cap space for that star we are stuck with that star and 4 players. Tax payer MLE and vet minimum contracts. It’s very risky waiting. Hoping we’re tampering :lol:
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,569

Post#2038 » by youngcrev » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:58 am

Covi_Marsh wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Covi_Marsh wrote:
This isn’t baseball. It’s not just money.

Teams cannot acquire a player in a sign-and-trade if that player keeps them above the apron

Teams cannot sign a player waived during the regular season whose salary was over the $12.2 million midlevel exception

Salary matching in trades must be within 110 percent, rather than 125 percent for teams not above the apron

No access to the $5 million taxpayer midlevel exception

Teams cannot use a trade exception generated by aggregating the salaries of multiple players

Teams cannot include cash in a trade

Teams cannot use a trade exception generated in a prior year

First-round picks seven years out are frozen (unable to be traded)

A team's first-round pick is moved to the end of the first round if they remain in the second apron for three out of five seasons

Good luck building a championship contender with all them restrictions. Will not be able to add anything except minimum contracts and drafted players of whatever picks they have left.

...And they were fully aware of all that when they made the trade for James Harden.

Steve Ballmer is the 5th richest man in the world, and has consistently been willing to pay outrageous amounts of money to make that team competitive. New rules are very prohibitive, but the cap is also expected to rise.

Not to mention, this whole diatribe about them not being able to pay 3 guys near max money completely ignores that the SIXERS WOULD BE PAYING 3 GUYS MAX MONEY in this scenario....

Maxey rookie scale max is only 25% of the cap unless u have him making all nba then it’ll be 30%. Theirs is 35% but regardless It’s not extra tax money that’s gonna make teams avoid the 2nd apron. It’s the fact they can’t use any exceptions to fill out the rest of the roster. And can’t trade future firsts with bad salary to try to bring in talent: you will be stuck signing vet minimum players.
As a free agent would u take a vet min offer to play for LA or take a 6 mil or whatever it is taxpayer exception to play with another contender?

And 25% of the cap is likely more than Harden is getting.

All those restrictions were known before they made the deal. This isn't something that was just sprung upon them. And they're way ahead of you on getting rid of all their tradeable 1st round picks anyway.

They'll likely dance their way around those cap restrictions by paying their own guys.
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore

Post#2039 » by Covi_Marsh » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:15 am

youngcrev wrote:
Covi_Marsh wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

And 25% of the cap is likely more than Harden is getting.

All those restrictions were known before they made the deal. This isn't something that was just sprung upon them. And they're way ahead of you on getting rid of all their tradeable 1st round picks anyway.

They'll likely dance their way around those cap restrictions by paying their own guys.

U think he’d sign for 35.5? All that crying he did to us when we prolly offered that same amount lol.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,262

Post#2040 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:41 am

M2J wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
M2J wrote:
Would be cool

I agree he catered to Harden. His free-agent signings were largely tied to Harden, which I think we can all agree wasn't the best move.

However, he turned the **** Simmons situation into gold. No one at the time thought we'd be getting a player as good as Harden when that happened. The same thing just happened with Harden...we would've been lucky to get anything, yet Morey landed 2 first-round picks and even more financial flexibility.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

Return to Philadelphia 76ers