ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,623

Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft 

Post#81 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:38 am

mjkvol wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
He's just taking over games. His defense will be the issue, but he's improved dramatically as the season has gone on. Offensively, there's not a lot he can't do.

He damn near won the game all by himself last night against SC. That was a tough loss. I would love for us to be able to draft him. It'll never happen though.

Brutal loss, just a perfect storm of a bunch of missed layups, missed free throws, and horrid officiating. One of those games, just glad it happened in January. Of course, the UT boards are acting as if the world is ending, but that's fans everywhere it seems.

I'm about 45 minutes from Knoxville and need to get to a game this year if I can. I started really paying attention back when Chris Lofton and CJ Watson were there (Bruce Pearl era). I think they'll be ok despite the loss. SC is very good this year. How they're playing going into the tournament is really where it'll matter. They can beat anyone if Knecht is hitting, but he'll have to do it all. Ziegler took some forced shots last night, but I like his point guard skills on this team. Vescovi is a killer from deep when he's on and they've got decent size with Aidoo. The one worry I have with them is not having a second scorer to help out DK, but as long as he's got a pulse they can beat anyone. All that kid does is play basketball. He doesn't care about any of the other attention that comes with being a big time prospect. He's going to be a solid G/F in the pros.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,146

Post#82 » by mjkvol » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:36 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
He damn near won the game all by himself last night against SC. That was a tough loss. I would love for us to be able to draft him. It'll never happen though.

Brutal loss, just a perfect storm of a bunch of missed layups, missed free throws, and horrid officiating. One of those games, just glad it happened in January. Of course, the UT boards are acting as if the world is ending, but that's fans everywhere it seems.

I'm about 45 minutes from Knoxville and need to get to a game this year if I can. I started really paying attention back when Chris Lofton and CJ Watson were there (Bruce Pearl era). I think they'll be ok despite the loss. SC is very good this year. How they're playing going into the tournament is really where it'll matter. They can beat anyone if Knecht is hitting, but he'll have to do it all. Ziegler took some forced shots last night, but I like his point guard skills on this team. Vescovi is a killer from deep when he's on and they've got decent size with Aidoo. The one worry I have with them is not having a second scorer to help out DK, but as long as he's got a pulse they can beat anyone. All that kid does is play basketball. He doesn't care about any of the other attention that comes with being a big time prospect. He's going to be a solid G/F in the pros.

Wow, I wish I was close enough to drive in for a few games - hell, I'd buy football season tickets. My wife and I went down for the Texas A&M football game last October and had a blast. Some really good games coming up for you to check out.

If you've watched the games so far this season, the difference in this team and Barnes' last few teams has been not only DK, but an inside game with Aidoo, and improved ball movement and more P&R and DHO actions, getting more people involved. In the SC game, Barnes panicked after all the missed layups in the first half (if half of them had been made, UT wins comfortably) and completely went away from what was working to the 'give it to DK and get out of the way' approach. It almost worked, but it is a recipe for disaster in March.

Knecht is the difference maker, but getting back to what resulted in blowout wins earlier, along with improved rebounding and FT shooting, is what will result in success come tournament time. High ranked teams are all losing games (Kentucky got beat by Florida at home last night), and nobody is going to run the table. I'm way more concerned with how the team looks a month from now than anything else. It's been fun to watch so far.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,069

Post#83 » by Negrodamus » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:48 pm

I need to catch a UT football game in Knoxville; one of the few stadiums I strangely haven't been to in the SEC. Knoxville is an underrated city despite having that stinky school within it's city limits.

I'm excited about the upcoming UK vs UT matchup even with UK on a choking tour at the moment. Knecht is going to have a tough matchup with Thiero coming back and getting his first game back out of the way. I think this will be a rebound win for the Cats in Rupp, but the Calipari of it all might hand us another L. If he just lets Sheppard cook and have everyone else play a role off ball, the offense should be rolling.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#84 » by Negrodamus » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:49 pm

Also, can we have this pinned to the top?
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#85 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Feb 4, 2024 2:32 am

Got a good one going in Kentucky tonight. As an avid Vol fan I'm just glad to see it close. Kentucky is so damn talented. Reaves, Sheppard, and Dillingham all look like legit NBA pros.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,805

Post#86 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 4, 2024 3:06 am

mjkvol wrote:Someone's going to take Dalton Knecht and be pretty happy about it. Kid id a stud.

Good news with all the losing is we got a chance to get Knecht. Should be a top 10 pick for me.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#87 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Feb 4, 2024 3:07 am

76ciology wrote:
mjkvol wrote:Someone's going to take Dalton Knecht and be pretty happy about it. Kid id a stud.

Good news with all the losing is we got a chance to get Knecht.

He's Dan Majerle made over. It would be awesome to get a shot at him.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#88 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 4, 2024 3:10 am

If we keep losing and go to 15-20 range
- Kevin Mccullar
- Dalton Knecht

These two should be top 10 picks in this draft.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#89 » by 76ciology » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:30 pm

I have Risacher at the top of my mock draft. He has the highest points per 36 compared to Topic, Sheppard, Jakobe Walter, and Cody Williams.

He has zero questions about his shooting, three-point attempt rate (3PAR), and free throw rate (FTR). Additionally, he possesses very good passing ability. His downside is his turnovers.

So, the current ranking is:
1. Risacher
2. Sheppard
3. Topic
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,224

Post#90 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:41 am

There's a lot of interesting French prospects in this class.

I like Melvin Ajinca the best. He's the best pure shooter of the frenchmen, and his combo of size and self-creation make him a major scoring threat at the NBA level.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#91 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:23 am

If Sheppard can score at will, he would be a top pick in this draft. However, he needs to play alongside a big man like Embiid or Wemby, who can score effectively. This partnership would make him lethal in the two-man game, similar to the dynamic between John Stockton and Karl Malone.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#92 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:45 pm

I think Sheppard is going to fall to the back half of the top 10 and make someone really happy.

Teams at the top of the draft are probably going to be focused on the international kids and the G-League kids. Even someone with "Tmac upside" like Cody Williams will probably be more appealing to a team looking for a franchise player than Sheppard would. Teams always make that mistake.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#93 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:55 pm

Alex Karaban looks pretty nice for a 2nd round pick. Has nice size at 6'8" 210+ pounds at SF. Kinds of reminds me of a Kispert type player. Proven champion, as well.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#94 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:18 pm

76ciology wrote:I have Risacher at the top of my mock draft. He has the highest points per 36 compared to Topic, Sheppard, Jakobe Walter, and Cody Williams.

He has zero questions about his shooting, three-point attempt rate (3PAR), and free throw rate (FTR). Additionally, he possesses very good passing ability. His downside is his turnovers.

So, the current ranking is:
1. Risacher
2. Sheppard
3. Topic

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,146

Post#95 » by mjkvol » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:54 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I think Sheppard is going to fall to the back half of the top 10 and make someone really happy.

Teams at the top of the draft are probably going to be focused on the international kids and the G-League kids. Even someone with "Tmac upside" like Cody Williams will probably be more appealing to a team looking for a franchise player than Sheppard would. Teams always make that mistake.

I'll never get the 'roll of the dice' type of upside potential picks that teams in the lottery routinely make, like trying to fill an inside straight instead of picking a player everyone knows will be a rock solid NBA starter. I get bad teams taking a swing for the fences at a potential superstar, but if those same teams just made the 'safer' pick occasionally maybe they wouldn't be in the lottery year after year.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#96 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:12 pm

Jared McCain dropping 35 yesterday should cement him being a lotto talent. Was hoping to land him with our 1st rounder.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#97 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:45 pm

I don't think I'm taking Sheppard in the top ten of this draft. He could get there at some point, but I'd be drafting him with the idea that his offensive ability is going to bloom in time and that his defensive instincts are definitely going to translate to the pros. Hard to commit to that at this time. His handles are pretty basic.

On the flip side, Dillingham has great and creative handles but, as I've said before, he's from the mold of Terquavion Smith and Bones Hyland. Will he fill out? Is his freelance offensive ability going to pan out in the pros? Both are intriguing talents, but have been concerning to watch recently. I think Sheppard needs another year but his advanced stats are just too crazy to come back.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#98 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Also, Adou Thiero is about to rise on the boards. He's raw, but a game changer on defense. Shot is coming along too.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#99 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:21 pm

I think I'll all-in on Jared McCain at pick #20.

I think he can be our Ben Gordon.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#100 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:02 pm

Holy crap, a perfect performance from Justin Edwards. About time he looked like an NBA prospect.

Also, Ivisik should definitely go Top 10. I think he's C1 ahead of Clingan and Sarr.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers