ImageImageImage

The first one we have to get rid of

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Last pick
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#1 » by Last pick » Sun May 14, 2023 9:40 pm

This is the end of Morey's bluff. He made a reissue of losing Rockets with players older and cooked, coached by a worse one.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,331

Re: The first one we have to get rid of 

Post#2 » by Arsenal » Sun May 14, 2023 9:51 pm

I'm willing to give Morey 1 more year. But Glenn needs to be fired into the Sun before the day is over.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#3 » by brannigan73 » Sun May 14, 2023 9:58 pm

This team is full of losers so I really dont care at this point. Unless you tell me you can transform Tobias Harris into useful players somehow and you can sign and trade James for more then pennies on the dollar they honestly need to blow this team up because I don't see how they get better to the point where they can beat Milwaukee or Boston. They wont though because the owner is happy winning 50 games and losing in the second round and sadly so are most of the fans. I expect them to resign Harden and try to trade Harris for a better fit.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,623

Post#4 » by Iverson Armband » Sun May 14, 2023 9:58 pm

Glad this happened. Now real change will come. There was no way in hell they were beating Jimmy or anyone out west for that matter.
always a jump shot away.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,520

Post#5 » by Snotbubbles » Sun May 14, 2023 10:04 pm

brannigan73 wrote:This team is full of losers so I really dont care at this point. Unless you tell me you can transform Tobias Harris into useful players somehow and you can sign and trade James for more then pennies on the dollar they honestly need to blow this team up because I don't see how they get better to the point where they can beat Milwaukee or Boston. They wont though because the owner is happy winning 50 games and losing in the second round and sadly so are most of the fans. I expect them to resign Harden and try to trade Harris for a better fit.

A new coach could do wonders.

Then need find a better use of Tobias Harris and James Harden's money though.
76ers76ers
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#6 » by 76ers76ers » Sun May 14, 2023 10:09 pm

Morley will play hardball on Embiid and Maxey offers this offseason. And then shock the city of Philadelphia with an Embiid trade for key future assets.Watch this happens. I wouldn’t be mad as I see the Embiid era over and both sides mutually agree to part ways.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,146

Post#7 » by mjkvol » Mon May 15, 2023 12:22 am

Rivers. If he's not shown the door, it matters little what else is done.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Jay555
Sixth Man
And1: 861

Post#8 » by Jay555 » Mon May 15, 2023 12:24 am

Doc.

That's all.

You go from there first no matter what.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,988

Post#9 » by Mik317 » Mon May 15, 2023 12:44 am

Morey isn't even the GM lol.

he is safe as **** and will only leave if he resigns.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,825

Post#10 » by the_process » Mon May 15, 2023 6:04 pm

Glenn is the answer to the thread.

Moves after that are up for discussion.
Last pick
Ballboy

Post#11 » by Last pick » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:35 am

Ok, I was waiting. Can we cast doubt on Mr. Morey now ?
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#12 » by Ben » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:46 pm

Last pick wrote:Ok, I was waiting. Can we cast doubt on Mr. Morey now ?

You started the thread almost a year ago, it didn’t get much traction because the topics were already being discussed elsewhere on the board, Morey does fire Doc, then you bump your own thread when the same topics are again being discussed elsewhere. If it’s about Morey and not you, why not just join in the extant conversations?
Last pick
Ballboy

Post#13 » by Last pick » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:06 pm

the_process wrote:Glenn is the answer to the thread.

Moves after that are up for discussion.

This was the last answer, so I think that now we could continue the discussion about Morey. You say there are other threads on the same subject, namely Morey's actions specifically, but I see threads on individual players, individual games and the season in general. Instead, I would like to know, after the close of the trade, what you think of Morey, since there is now a very good coach in place of Doc Rivers. If you don't like what I do, so be it, I don't like what you do, so...
the_process
RealGM

Post#14 » by the_process » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:33 pm

What are you quoting me for?

But you want to talk about Morey? Fine. They ducked the tax, which is exactly what was to be expected. Morey was also after somebody else he didn't get, probably Drummond, and that's why he flipped Bev and Springer for 2nds in the last minutes because he thought it would get that deal done.

Morey is trying to build a team around a star C who is very injury prone and also shrinks in the spotlight. Said star C also wants the offense to go through him, understandably, but the team needs the defense to revolve around him. Putting all that weight on an injury prone guy isn't going to work. We've seen it time and time again. So they need a guy who Jo will take a back seat to offensively. It's not Maxey, who is too young and too deferential. It was supposed to be Harden, but Glenn favored Jo and Harden is a choker.

This is logically why Morey is willing to gamble everything on a bad FA market. PG13 would fit the bill. It also opens up trade opportunities should any other star ask out.

None of this is to say Morey's plan is good. It's a long shot. But he is trying to thread a needle here. His best plan of action would be to sell Jo and get a Gobert return. But fans would freak the **** out, and Dave Silver might come sniffing around again.

Side note: I'm not at all buying Nurse is this genius as his reputation would have you believe. All I see is him grinding his players bones into bread. He needs to be told to stop that immediately.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by mjkvol » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:03 pm

the_process wrote:What are you quoting me for?

But you want to talk about Morey? Fine. They ducked the tax, which is exactly what was to be expected. Morey was also after somebody else he didn't get, probably Drummond, and that's why he flipped Bev and Springer for 2nds in the last minutes because he thought it would get that deal done.

Morey is trying to build a team around a star C who is very injury prone and also shrinks in the spotlight. Said star C also wants the offense to go through him, understandably, but the team needs the defense to revolve around him. Putting all that weight on an injury prone guy isn't going to work. We've seen it time and time again. So they need a guy who Jo will take a back seat to offensively. It's not Maxey, who is too young and too deferential. It was supposed to be Harden, but Glenn favored Jo and Harden is a choker.

This is logically why Morey is willing to gamble everything on a bad FA market. PG13 would fit the bill. It also opens up trade opportunities should any other star ask out.

None of this is to say Morey's plan is good. It's a long shot. But he is trying to thread a needle here. His best plan of action would be to sell Jo and get a Gobert return. But fans would freak the **** out, and Dave Silver might come sniffing around again.

Side note: I'm not at all buying Nurse is this genius as his reputation would have you believe. All I see is him grinding his players bones into bread. He needs to be told to stop that immediately.

Regarding Nurse I do believe he is a brilliant tactician, especially after the clown show of the last three seasons here, but I agree it is ridiculous the extent that he runs key players into the ground. Maybe there isn't a choice now, but this has been going on all season with Maxey.
the_process
RealGM

Post#16 » by the_process » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:05 pm

mjkvol wrote:

Regarding Nurse I do believe he is a brilliant tactician, especially after the clown show of the last three seasons here, but I agree it is ridiculous the extent that he runs key players into the ground. Maybe there isn't a choice now, but this has been going on all season with Maxey.

Being a far better coach than Glenn Rivers isn't saying much though.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by mjkvol » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:07 pm

the_process wrote:Being a far better coach than Glenn Rivers isn't saying much though.

Isn't that the truth, more like the ultimate backhanded compliment.
Last pick
Ballboy

Post#18 » by Last pick » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:55 pm

I quoted you because you had left the topic open. Speaking of Morey: you say it's a long-term plan, but in reality we don't have that much time because Joel is no longer a kid. Morey should have tried to gamble on someone now, but all he did was manage to rent Hield and miss the opportunity to use expiring contracts (Toby first) to get someone right away. All this after screwing up with Harden and having to get rid of those he brought in. In the end we will have salary space this summer with no viable targets (don't tell me the 34 yo injury proned PG). Good job Daryl.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#19 » by bball4life » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:01 pm

Last pick wrote:

I quoted you because you had left the topic open. Speaking of Morey: you say it's a long-term plan, but in reality we don't have that much time because Joel is no longer a kid. Morey should have tried to gamble on someone now, but all he did was manage to rent Hield and miss the opportunity to use expiring contracts (Toby first) to get someone right away. All this after screwing up with Harden and having to get rid of those he brought in. In the end we will have salary space this summer with no viable targets (don't tell me the 34 yo injury proned PG). Good job Daryl.

These deadline moves were to clear space under the cap so they can easily outbid the Lakers or whoever to sign Lowry or Dinwiddie or other buyout candidates. I don't think there was a player on the market good enough to mess with the team's future flexibility. Murray or Jerami Grant aren't worth what they wanted in return and certainly aren't worth going all in for. There will always be a disgruntled star available. For instance, if the Bucks crap out early (with Doc and turnstile Lillard, I think this is a foregone conclusion) Giannis will be grumbling and looking for change.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by mjkvol » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:19 pm

Last pick wrote:

Gamble on who? What player was available that would have made any appreciable difference here? Even guys like Caruso, who anyone would love to have, carried a price tag well beyond what they brought in return.

It's really easy to be sarcastic and say "good job Daryl", but the fact remains that he walked into a dumpster fire and in a couple of years had us with a group that was up 3-2 on the Celtics and this close to a Finals trip. Yeah, it didn't work out, but from that potential disaster he once again has us in a situation where we have room to maneuver this summer.

Saying "no one will be available" is ridiculous, because every off season players come available for different reasons. So much can happen between now and the summer, why not let it play out? It might not work out, but I would much rather have the ammo ready to make a difference making move should one appear than shooting my wad on the kind of mediocrities that were being floated at the deadline.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers