Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,825

Re: PHILS 

Post#181 » by the_process » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:01 pm

Also let's talk about Aaron Nola.

Love the guy, glad he's a homegrown product that panned out

However... he comes up too small too often in the postseason for my liking. Unless he's taking a fairly decent hometown discount (unlikely), then I'd let him walk and look to sign another top of the rotation type guy instead.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,146

Post#182 » by mjkvol » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:44 pm

the_process wrote:Also let's talk about Aaron Nola.

However... he comes up too small too often in the postseason for my liking. Unless he's taking a fairly decent hometown discount (unlikely), then I'd let him walk and look to sign another top of the rotation type guy instead.

Good luck finding someone nearly as good who is available. I know it's a tired cliche, but a bird in the hand ..........

Way too often we tend to look at the most recent result and draw conclusions. Nola's first start against AZ was a gem.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
the_process
RealGM

Post#183 » by the_process » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:23 pm

mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:Also let's talk about Aaron Nola.

Good luck finding someone nearly as good who is available. I know it's a tired cliche, but a bird in the hand ..........

Way too often we tend to look at the most recent result and draw conclusions. Nola's first start against AZ was a gem.

Yeah, I haven't looked at what pitchers are available.

That being said, I'm remembering Nola last year. Combine that with Game 6 and very underwhelming.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,225

Post#184 » by Kobblehead » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:42 pm

I think we pretty much have to re-sign Nola.

Especially since organizationally, all our pitching prospects have a major flaw preventing them from being ready to step up to the show.

Andrew Painter is coming off a major injury.
Mick Abel can't stop walking people.
Griff McGarry can't stop walking people.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,101

Post#185 » by Embiid P » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:33 am

One name I keep seeing come up as a potential replacement for Nola if he leaves is Blake Snell whose stats, with the exception of walks and WHIP were superior to Nola's this season.

Of course, it helps that he plays half of his games in a ballpark that's more friendly to pitchers than Nola so there's that.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#186 » by Embiid P » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:58 am

So for those who haven't heard, the Phils have re-signed Nola for 7 years $172 million. Not horrible considering many thought that he'd sign for north of $200 million. Also, they are still rumored to be in the hunt for Yamamoto from Japan.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,795

Post#187 » by Sixersftw » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:16 am

Nola and Yamamota would be a nasty offseason. Thats a pretty impressive 4 starters with Painter eventually. I'd also love another right handed bat. Bring the fish-man home.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,146

Post#188 » by mjkvol » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:14 pm

Bringing Nola back makes total sense, and has the Phils working from a position of strength in addressing the rotation.

Honestly, I don't get the talk of a Harper extension. I think paying him probably beyond his playing days makes up for what now might be a below top level annual salary. But hey, it ain't my money .... wait .........
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,795

Post#189 » by Sixersftw » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:57 pm

mjkvol wrote:Honestly, I don't get the talk of a Harper extension. I think paying him probably beyond his playing days makes up for what now might be a below top level annual salary. But hey, it ain't my money .... wait .........

I'd bet my bottom dollar that this is just Scott Boras trying to get a final cash in on his biggest client.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
the_process
RealGM

Post#190 » by the_process » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:34 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
mjkvol wrote:Honestly, I don't get the talk of a Harper extension. I think paying him probably beyond his playing days makes up for what now might be a below top level annual salary. But hey, it ain't my money .... wait .........

I'd bet my bottom dollar that this is just Scott Boras trying to get a final cash in on his biggest client.

Harper isn't getting an extension. I agree it's just Boras bluster. He still has, what, 8 years left? :lol: We're good.
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#191 » by Covi_Marsh » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:36 pm

We most definitely could use a power RH bat to protect Bryce Harper. Bohm and Castellanos need to remain closer to the back of the lineup. Move Marsh to CF and find a power righty bat to play LF.

love the Nola signing. Not crazy pay. Too many years but we are signing everyone long term. They’ll all be old together lol. Could use another starter since Walker is not it. Wheeler, Nola, Suarez, 4th starter, Sanchez

Need to replace Kimbrell bum ass and maybe add another set up man.

Alvarado
Hoffman
Straham
Dominguez (hopefully returns to 2022 form)
Kerkering (valuable postseason experience)
CLOSER (Josh Hader?)

Wildcards Soto and Marte. Powerful arms with accuracy issues. Need to get them right. Are Mick Abel & Griff McGarry ready for bullpen next season?
the_process
RealGM

Post#192 » by the_process » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:38 pm

Sixersftw wrote:Nola and Yamamota would be a nasty offseason. Thats a pretty impressive 4 starters with Painter eventually. I'd also love another right handed bat. Bring the fish-man home.

The fish man, as you call him, is overdue to come home. But they can't afford him now. Halos would have to eat somewhere between 50%~75% of that deal. And then you're paying, what, four or five top prospects? More?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,076

Post#193 » by Sixerscan » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:45 pm

Guessing the argument is he could have put an opt out in his deal like Machado did and force them to give up a much bigger extension. Asking them to now reward loyalty, getting back from injury, learning 1B and so on which the Phillies are all about.

Probably they line his contract up with Turner’s so there isn’t any weird dynamic there.

If Harper wants something he’s gonna get it lol.
the_process
RealGM

Post#194 » by the_process » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:55 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Guessing the argument is he could have put an opt out in his deal like Machado did and force them to give up a much bigger extension. Asking them to now reward loyalty, getting back from injury, learning 1B and so on which the Phillies are all about.

Probably they line his contract up with Turner’s so there isn’t any weird dynamic there.

Middleton might be a billionaire, but he can't afford a billion dollar payroll.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,076

Post#195 » by Sixerscan » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:00 pm

the_process wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Guessing the argument is he could have put an opt out in his deal like Machado did and force them to give up a much bigger extension. Asking them to now reward loyalty, getting back from injury, learning 1B and so on which the Phillies are all about.

Yeah I don’t think they’d rip up the current deal, just tack it on at the end. Maybe with some signing bonus now.
the_process
RealGM

Post#196 » by the_process » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:12 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
the_process wrote:

Yeah I don’t think they’d rip up the current deal, just tack it on at the end. Maybe with some signing bonus now.

"Sorry Bryce, you like a good team? Gotta have money to sign other guys."

I'm just saying they really should do nothing. We'll see what happens.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#197 » by Embiid P » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:20 pm

the_process wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:Nola and Yamamota would be a nasty offseason. Thats a pretty impressive 4 starters with Painter eventually. I'd also love another right handed bat. Bring the fish-man home.

The fish man, as you call him, is overdue to come home. But they can't afford him now. Halos would have to eat somewhere between 50%~75% of that deal. And then you're paying, what, four or five top prospects? More?

Trout would be too expensive (both salary and trade-wise) and injury-prone. I think his best days are behind him. I don't think we need him. Like the Sixers, I'd argue that the Phils need to focus less on star-hunting and more on bringing in good role players specifically a reliable reliever as well as a contact hitter who can easily get on and steal bases which are what would have helped them in the D-Backs series. I'd still look to move one of our power hitters (either Schwarber or Castellanos) for one or both.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,942

Post#198 » by XtremeDunkz » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:41 am

Embiid P wrote:
the_process wrote:

Trout would be too expensive (both salary and trade-wise) and injury-prone. I think his best days are behind him. I don't think we need him. Like the Sixers, I'd argue that the Phils need to focus less on star-hunting and more on bringing in good role players specifically a reliable reliever as well as a contact hitter who can easily get on and steal bases which are what would have helped them in the D-Backs series. I'd still look to move one of our power hitters (either Schwarber or Castellanos) for one or both.
My thoughts exactly. Need a high level reliever and a contact hitter. Too many boom or bust guys in the lineup.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers