ImageImageImage

PHILS

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,574

Re: PHILS 

Post#161 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:56 pm

Chicken Little reporting in. Good morning fellow Philly fans.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,710

Post#162 » by rzzzzz » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:20 pm

Just like last year. We beat up an opponent with a 10 run onslaught and then the bats go quiet. Even so, some better coaching might have bought us one of the games where we gave up a lead. Oh well. Fun while it lasted.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#163 » by Skates » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:30 pm

Anyone that wasn't worried after a record number of solo home runs being hit wasn't paying attention. The Phils played like that a lot this year when they were in mini-slumps, and that happened frequently, very poor hitting with men in scoring position. They get homer happy and over swing and you can see them opening up too soon and hacking at high fastballs out of the zone.

They still could have gotten past the D'Backs if they won game four, but the D'Backs were this year's Phillies of last year, nothing to lose, no expectations. I still love this Phillies team and as Theo Epstein pointed out in building winners in Boston and Chicago, you need to get to the playoffs often because they are unpredictable. Teams get hot, hit cold streaks, baseball is never predictable that way.

Great year, lots of fun to watch. I doubt I watch much of the WS since the Astros lost already. I would have been rooting hard for Arizona to take Houston out, but the Rangers already did that.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#164 » by sixers hoops » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:51 pm

Embiid P wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:
Embiid P wrote:Choke job complete.

This team lacks speedy but patient small ball players the way AZ does. That's what did them in last year in the WS. Dombrowski has lots of work to do in the offseason.

They also have about 2 reliable pitchers.

True, but with the exception of the one bad inning by Nola in Game 6, their starting pitching was quite good this series. It was their hitting (or lack thereof) that killed them in games 3, 6, and 7. Kimbrel not coming back pretty much goes without saying. Fortunately, they'll have Painter healthy next season to potentially replace Nola if he leaves. If I'm Dombrowski, I'd try my hardest to bring back Suarez next season who has shown that he can turn it up a notch in the playoffs.

Would also like to see us move on from Hoskins (not his fault he got injured before the season but IMO he's the most expendable of their power hitters) and Bohm.

I doubt Painter pitches next season. Maybe an August or September start is possible, but not likely.

I don’t believe Suarez can leave. He is prob still subject to arbitration.

Hoskins is likely gone. If Schwarber is your DH, you really can’t use Rhys.

I think the bullpen could be good with Alvarado, Strahm, Seranthony, Hoffman, Soto, Kerkerling, and probably McGarry gets a shot.

They may re-sign Nola because none of Able, McGarry, or Painter will be ready to step in at all, let alone top-of-the-rotation starters. Taiwan is reportedly unhappy with the coaching staff, but with his contract can’t go anywhere. If they don’t re-sign Nola, you need someone reliable to go with Wheeler, Suarez, Sanchez, and Walker.

I think the same starting batting lineup will be back. Prob go with Pache, Marsh, and Rojas in left and center again.

They can win with that group. Just need more out of Rojas. Some consistency from their big bats.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,572

Post#165 » by JimmyPlopper » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:36 pm

went to game four with my daughter. we are a little more heartbroken than usual, because of raised expectations which we still believe were justified. I'm excited for next year. Sometimes momentum and luck work against you. We also have major improvement to make in the way of Thompson's tactics as a manager. I'm still very optimistic about next year and we have a few more pitchers waiting in the wings (even beyond Painter)
all i see is blinking lights
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#166 » by UptownPhilly » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:02 am

Last night was tough. It’s always disappointing to lose in such a fashion. The Phils gave us a great season and a few good series, and a reason to be proud. This was a fun run. I was able to watch the Phils beat the Braves in person in their last season game down here. I’m still looking forward to next season.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#167 » by mjkvol » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:23 am

This team lacks speedy but patient small ball players the way AZ does. That's what did them in last year in the WS. Dombrowski has lots of work to do in the offseason.

Why does it always have to be a "choke job"? Baseball is the ultimate game of variance and streaks, it's not a game of momentum like football or basketball. In baseball, momentum lasts until the next batter.

The Phils lived and died with the long ball, as all those solo homers showed. Kimbrel was bad, but he is also the easy culprit. Anyone looking at the alarming number of runners left on base could see the primary reason for this, and it started even in a couple of the games the Phils won. They had few big innings that didn't involve multiple homers, and failed to put away game 2 (where they held on) and game 4 (where it came back to bite them) because of leaving runners stranded.

I hate the blame game, but if you're going to point to anyone it is the big money hitters all going ice cold at the same time, especially Turner and Castellanos. A few timely hits would have put this series away before they returned to Philly. It's baseball, schiit happens. They gave us a great ride, and will contend again next year.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,102

Post#168 » by Embiid P » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:50 am

mjkvol wrote:

Why does it always have to be a "choke job"? Baseball is the ultimate game of variance and streaks, it's not a game of momentum like football or basketball. In baseball, momentum lasts until the next batter.

The Phils lived and died with the long ball, as all those solo homers showed. Kimbrel was bad, but he is also the easy culprit. Anyone looking at the alarming number of runners left on base could see the primary reason for this, and it started even in a couple of the games the Phils won. They had few big innings that didn't involve multiple homers, and failed to put away game 2 (where they held on) and game 4 (where it came back to bite them) because of leaving runners stranded.

I hate the blame game, but if you're going to point to anyone it is the big money hitters all going ice cold at the same time, especially Turner and Castellanos. A few timely hits would have put this series away before they returned to Philly. It's baseball, schiit happens. They gave us a great ride, and will contend again next year.

Obviously we know about Kimbrel but rather than a matter of "hot vs. cold" I see it as Arizona making adjustments in games 6 and 7 and the Phillies failing to make adjustments in turn. Merrill Kelly himself said the quiet part out loud: they weren't gonna let Harper, Turner, Schwarber, Castellanos, etc. beat them by giving them good pitches to hit. What does that tell you? I want to believe that this team learns how to be more patient at the plate and play small ball next season, but I'll believe it when I see it. To quote Ben Simmons, I fear that they are who they are at this point. And judging by his postgame interviews, Thomson doesn't sound too eager to get them to change their ways.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#169 » by mjkvol » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:52 am

Embiid P wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Obviously we know about Kimbrel but rather than a matter of "hot vs. cold" I see it as Arizona making adjustments in games 6 and 7 and the Phillies failing to make adjustments in turn. Merrill Kelly himself said the quiet part out loud: they weren't gonna let Harper, Turner, Schwarber, Castellanos, etc. beat them by giving them good pitches to hit. What does that tell you? I want to believe that this team learns how to be more patient at the plate and play small ball next season, but I'll believe it when I see it. To quote Ben Simmons, I fear that they are who they are at this point. And judging by his postgame interviews, Thomson doesn't sound too eager to get them to change their ways.

Schwarber and Castellanos are what they are - you either live with it or not. Harper just went cold at the wrong time and Turner had a hideous series, but those guys are normally more well rounded hitters who are also great base runners. The one change I would make in the lineup is a legit leadoff hitter with speed, and move Schwarber down to 5-6 in the order. If Rojas develops as a hitter, or even Marsh might make good leadoff hitters.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,225

Post#170 » by Kobblehead » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:34 am

This team hit a ton of solo homeruns and stranded a ton of runners on base. That speaks volumes. Their approach is trash. Nobody taking what is given to them. Especially in clutch situations. Every player in the lineup can't be a choke artist. Which leads me to believe that their hitting coach just sucks and these guys are adopting a bad plate approach.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,331

Post#171 » by Arsenal » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:45 am

Imagine not firing the hitting coach after that epic choke. The book is out. Just throw trash outside the zone and they’ll keep chasing.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#172 » by Embiid P » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:47 am

Kobblehead wrote:This team hit a ton of solo homeruns and stranded a ton of runners on base. That speaks volumes. Their approach is trash. Nobody taking what is given to them. Especially in clutch situations. Every player in the lineup can't be a choke artist. Which leads me to believe that their hitting coach just sucks and these guys are adopting a bad plate approach.

FWIW they are supposedly making changes to their bullpen and hitting staffs. Dombrowski also said during his end-of-the-season presser that they need a more balanced offense which presumably means that they'll be looking to move one of their power hitters (most likely Castellanos) for a contact hitter who can easily get on and steal bases.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,225

Post#173 » by Kobblehead » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:59 am

Justin Crawford can't get here soon enough.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,828

Post#174 » by the_process » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:01 am

Embiid P wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:This team hit a ton of solo homeruns and stranded a ton of runners on base. That speaks volumes. Their approach is trash. Nobody taking what is given to them. Especially in clutch situations. Every player in the lineup can't be a choke artist. Which leads me to believe that their hitting coach just sucks and these guys are adopting a bad plate approach.

FWIW they are supposedly making changes to their bullpen and hitting staffs. Dombrowski also said during his end-of-the-season presser that they need a more balanced offense which presumably means that they'll be looking to move one of their power hitters (most likely Castellanos) for a contact hitter who can easily get on and steal bases.

They should look to move Schwarber before Castellanos. One trick ponies don’t cut it anymore.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#175 » by Embiid P » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:53 am

the_process wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

They should look to move Schwarber before Castellanos. One trick ponies don’t cut it anymore.

I was honestly thinking about Schwarber too, but figured he'd be less likely to be moved than Castellanos because he's a fan favorite here. Also, while Castellanos is the better overall player, Schwarber's contract is a year shorter. All things considered, I'm not sure who has more value in a trade.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#176 » by mjkvol » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:58 am

Moving either Schwarber or Castellanos for more versatile hitting and speed makes a ton of sense, but I'm not sure there would be a market for Schwarber, who at this point is pretty much exclusively a DH who hits homers or strikes out. They need bullpen arms that will throw strikes, as the walks flat out cost them game 4.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,828

Post#177 » by the_process » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:57 pm

mjkvol wrote:Moving either Schwarber or Castellanos for more versatile hitting and speed makes a ton of sense, but I'm not sure there would be a market for Schwarber, who at this point is pretty much exclusively a DH who hits homers or strikes out. They need bullpen arms that will throw strikes, as the walks flat out cost them game 4.

Maybe if they eat half his salary? I've really seen enough of Dave Kingman Jr.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#178 » by mjkvol » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:41 pm

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:Moving either Schwarber or Castellanos for more versatile hitting and speed makes a ton of sense, but I'm not sure there would be a market for Schwarber, who at this point is pretty much exclusively a DH who hits homers or strikes out. They need bullpen arms that will throw strikes, as the walks flat out cost them game 4.

Maybe if they eat half his salary? I've really seen enough of Dave Kingman Jr.

They need some changes, but I'm not a big fan of simply breaking up a group with this kind of chemistry unless there is a hell of viable alternative. This team was good enough to win the whole thing, but too many key guys got cold at the same time while AZ heated up. Listen, win game 4 and this series was over, that's how fine a line it was.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,331

Post#179 » by Arsenal » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:46 pm

Agree 100% that either Schwarber or Castellanos must go. Who that is depends on what kind of return they can get. Personally I'd prefer to get rid of Casty but I'd let the market decide.

Way too many total black holes in this lineup.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#180 » by Embiid P » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:33 am

Does anyone think Dombrowski will try to sign Josh Hader? In a vacuum I'd love to sign him but my biggest fear if we do is that Thomson will overuse him in the regular season like he did with Kimbrel thus causing him to crash and burn in the postseason like Kimbrel did. He is six years younger with less mileage than Kimbrel so he has that going for him. However, as arguably one of the best closers in baseball, he isn't going to come cheap. They obviously have cheaper options internally like Hoffman or Alvarado but IDK if they have what it takes to be full-time closers.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers