Delaware Bluecoats Discussion

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,790

Re: Delaware Bluecoats Discussion 

Post#201 » by 76ciology » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:41 am

76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I reaaly like Julian. Don't know why Morey keeps signing athletic munchkins to these 2 ways. First Lee and now McClung. How about we develop the big F with deflections and made threes?

This is just my guess from my observation league wide.

muchkins can spam 3s and 4pt plays via steals+fastbreak. They’re better on dribble drive offense. And with the right structure and scheme, you can still play elite defense by playing zone defense+deflections with a nic claxton type big at the middle. And if it’s not enough, you then run a double big and 3 guards unit.

Your halfcourt offense also is much better with guards, I think Jazz is a good example of it where they dont play with any SFs. The quickness allows penetration while if you play zone these guys can shoot it. Whereas if you watch the Clips play, their key guys settle for a lot of pull up jumpers and they struggle to attack close outs because guys like Batum and Morris aren’t quick enough. Same thing with the Raps and the Magic.

I have a feeling the league is trending more into these 2 way guards and combo guards. There’s just better flow on your offense. Better shot creation, better penetration, better shooting and more effective 2 man game. While you can still play elite defense with zone defense and an abundant surplus of bigs.

And it has been the cheat code lately by teams like the Jazz, Pacers, Hawks and the Cavs. Currently sometimes and more in the future, us.

Celtics’ munchkin vs Bucks size

Bucks forced to run their holiday-carter backcourt in OT
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,035

Post#202 » by Negrodamus » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:27 pm

Who is a “munchkin” on Boston? Smart and Pritchard are like the only guys under 6’5.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,828

Post#203 » by phillynative » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:14 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Who is a “munchkin” on Boston? Smart and Pritchard are like the only guys under 6’5.

This and Smart is built like a linebacker. The Houser sniper dude they picked up off the street is about 6'8. Munchkins are for the regular season.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,207

Post#204 » by Kobblehead » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:10 pm

I don't see munchkins ever becoming in vogue. The most number of munchkins you can get away with in your playoff rotation is 2. And one or both of them better be great at takeaways.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 583

Post#205 » by blargh » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:23 pm

There are different munchkin archetypes/skillsets too. McClung reminds me of a poor man’s Nate Robinson. Not sure that’s a path to playing time in the modern NBA.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,207

Post#206 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:17 pm

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2023/2/16/23603375/report-the-spurs-are-signing-julian-champagnie-to-a-two-way-contract

I hate this. I really think Champagnie is going to be a rotation player in this league. Size, defense, and made threes.
mccluskey
Pro Prospect
And1: 623

Post#207 » by mccluskey » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:15 pm

Blue Coats return to action tonight at 7pm against Detroit's Motor City Cruise - it'll be on ESPN+ if anyone's interested in checking out the McClung/Springer backcourt in action.

Lou King and Michael Foster also normally start, and I'm guessing it'll be either Charlie Brown Jr (who's looked pretty good this season) or Pat McCaw rounding out the lineup in place of Champagnie.
mccluskey
Pro Prospect
And1: 623

Post#208 » by mccluskey » Wed Apr 5, 2023 1:16 pm

Delaware won the first game of the G League finals last night 134-120 behind huge games from Springer and McClung. Charlie Brown, Mike Foster and Braxton Key also put up solid numbers. Blue Coats jumped out to a big lead early and never really had any trouble with Rio Grande the rest of the way.

Springer had 43 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and 4 blocks.

McClung went for 35 points, 7 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals.

Series is best of three, so the Blue Coats can close it out and take home the trophy if they win game 2 tomorrow night.

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,966

Post#209 » by Stanford » Wed Apr 5, 2023 1:19 pm

Hell yeah, dude!
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#210 » by Negrodamus » Wed Apr 5, 2023 2:01 pm

Wow, he definitely has some serious upside. If he can figure out how to speed up that shot and hit it consistently, then there is no limit to his upside. Obviously that's easier said than done.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,966

Post#211 » by Stanford » Wed Apr 5, 2023 2:36 pm

Defensively, he's a **** monster
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 583

Post#212 » by blargh » Wed Apr 5, 2023 2:37 pm

Reminds me of Marcus Smart in these highlights. Every play he’s involved in on offense and defense turns into a scrum, in a good way for us.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,963

Post#213 » by Mik317 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 4:40 pm

gonna be a terror on whatever team we dump Tobias in order to sign Eric Gordon this offseason
#NeverGonnaBeGood
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,105

Post#214 » by mjkvol » Wed Apr 5, 2023 4:41 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

Wow, he definitely has some serious upside. If he can figure out how to speed up that shot and hit it consistently, then there is no limit to his upside. Obviously that's easier said than done.

I know it's G-League, but it's hard to imagine that there isn't a role on this team, as specialized as it might be at this point, for a kid with the defensive chops that Springer has. I can't believe that he wouldn't be getting PT on the majority of NBA teams right now.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,702

Post#215 » by rzzzzz » Wed Apr 5, 2023 4:55 pm

mjkvol wrote:I know it's G-League, but it's hard to imagine that there isn't a role on this team, as specialized as it might be at this point, for a kid with the defensive chops that Springer has. I can't believe that he wouldn't be getting PT on the majority of NBA teams right now.

If we’re locked into the 3rd seed, I don’t see why we don’t bring him up, and McClung, and give them some major minutes in the last couple of games. It’s not like this franchise doesn’t deserve the rep of under appreciating its young talent the past couple of years.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,105

Post#216 » by mjkvol » Wed Apr 5, 2023 5:14 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
mjkvol wrote:I know it's G-League, but it's hard to imagine that there isn't a role on this team, as specialized as it might be at this point, for a kid with the defensive chops that Springer has. I can't believe that he wouldn't be getting PT on the majority of NBA teams right now.

If we’re locked into the 3rd seed, I don’t see why we don’t bring him up, and McClung, and give them some major minutes in the last couple of games. It’s not like this franchise doesn’t deserve the rep of under appreciating its young talent the past couple of years.

Agreed, but there's a far better chance of hell freezing over.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#217 » by Negrodamus » Wed Apr 5, 2023 9:03 pm

rzzzzz wrote:

I'm pretty sure they're available to play once the G League season is over, which seems to be imminently.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,828

Post#218 » by phillynative » Wed Apr 5, 2023 9:13 pm

He's built like a mix between Brown and Smart defensively. I dont think his drives will transfer where he's going up amongst the trees but the fact that he knows how to use his body is a plus. He should be able to draw fouls at the next level with his physicality. He definitely has to get that 3 pt shot more consistent. I think if he does that he can replace some of what Melton does and we can attach Melton to Tobias trade bait..
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#219 » by SixthStreet » Thu Apr 6, 2023 1:06 am

Those Springer highlights are pretty funny. If these were an indication he's got a future as a small ball 5 with rim protection.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,790

Post#220 » by 76ciology » Thu Apr 6, 2023 4:48 pm

His shooting #s reminds me of this year’s Westbrook.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers