ImageImageImage

The Official Fire Doc Rivers Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,483

Re: The Official Fire Doc Rivers Thread 

Post#881 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:44 pm

As I said before the Atlanta series really did me in on Doc as a coach. But last season when Harden, Embiid and Maxey were out he did a great coaching job with the B team. They won games they should not have won and they kept the ship afloat. Good Job Doc. Then once the starters returned the B-team was put back on the bench and had zero opportunity to shine. WTF you are a championship coach. Incorporate the guys that showed you they could play. Solidify the bench. But that never happened SMH.

You do know if Doc was still here Tucker would still be starting. You do realize that!
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,867

Post#882 » by Phila Tough » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:53 pm

Some good copium to get buzzed on if you're into that on the Bucks board lol. It will be interesting to see the how Doc slows down one of the fastest playing teams in the NBA
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,831

Post#883 » by the_process » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:06 pm

mjkvol wrote:Seems that not the entire national media is enamored of Glenn.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/why-hiring-doc-rivers-would-be-a-mistake-for-the-milwaukee-bucks/

When the news broke that Griffin was out, and Rivers might well be his replacement, a rival NBA executive texted this to CBS Sports: "And the other Eastern Conference contenders breathe easier."

Ainge or Morey?
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#884 » by agiaco » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:58 pm

I mean Griffin was an absolute train wreck there. Doc is not a great solution but considering the situation it's still an upgrade.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#885 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:33 pm

The way Bucks fans talk about Adrian Griffin, it's similar to what Brett Brown was for us, the worst coach they/we ever saw. I believe them. So Doc is an upgrade, still a mediocre coach but an upgrade. But it's still a downgrade from Bud.
Remember guys, no matter how bad you think Doc was, you will NEVER convince me Brett wasn't the worst coach I've ever seen in my lifetime.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,831

Post#886 » by the_process » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:38 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:The way Bucks fans talk about Adrian Griffin, it's similar to what Brett Brown was for us, the worst coach they/we ever saw. I believe them. So Doc is an upgrade, still a mediocre coach but an upgrade. But it's still a downgrade from Bud.
Remember guys, no matter how bad you think Doc was, you will NEVER convince me Brett wasn't the worst coach I've ever seen in my lifetime.

I'll take Brett over Eddie Jordan, for whatever that's worth.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#887 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:41 pm

the_process wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:The way Bucks fans talk about Adrian Griffin, it's similar to what Brett Brown was for us, the worst coach they/we ever saw. I believe them. So Doc is an upgrade, still a mediocre coach but an upgrade. But it's still a downgrade from Bud.

I'll take Brett over Eddie Jordan, for whatever that's worth.

Doc still has a coaching job while Brett is an assistant again, teams ain't that dumb lol
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#888 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:42 pm

Doc is no longer our problem and I no longer have to reside faith in him. This would however be just pure Sixer luck if he was to lead them to another ring taking over halfway through a season. First off, I don't think anyone is getting past Boston this year, but even with Rivers Milwaukee is nothing to mess with. When you have Lillard and Giannis on the same team you've always got a chance.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 986

Post#889 » by Tony Franciosa » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:01 pm

Dang, I know he won a championship, but $40M is an amazing failure-upwards salary. How do I do this in real life?
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,078

Post#890 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:09 pm

Tony Franciosa wrote:Dang, I know he won a championship, but $40M is an amazing failure-upwards salary. How do I do this in real life?

Surround yourself with people smarter, more talented, more skilled than you and ride on their coattails. Then you coast off their success.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,795

Post#891 » by Sixersftw » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:39 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Tony Franciosa wrote:Dang, I know he won a championship, but $40M is an amazing failure-upwards salary. How do I do this in real life?

Surround yourself with people smarter, more talented, more skilled than you and ride on their coattails. Then you coast off their success.

I know we're crapping on Glenn but that's just good advice. Gotta find me some coattails to ride.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,078

Post#892 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:51 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I know we're crapping on Glenn but that's just good advice. Gotta find me some coattails to ride.

Definitely, I meant that legitimately. Although you're supposed to take things from the people you surround yourself with and improve upon yourself. Doc is basically the same guy he was with the Magic, overperforms with bad talent, underperforms with stars.

It wasn't until he had 3, possibly 4 (although Rondo is fringe right now) HOF dragging his ass across the finish line.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,616

Post#893 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:10 pm

Ultimately, they basically just got a worse version of Mike Budenholzer.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#894 » by FlyingArrow » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:34 pm

How does a guy fail into a $40 million dollar job? Wow.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,997

Post#895 » by Mik317 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:40 pm

The Bucks will be better because Doc will spam Dame/Giannis PNRs all day and he also loves the drop coverage defense. The issues will arise when teams are able to gameplan for it and decide to just force Dame to attack or kick out to shooters and then attack Dame on the other end...and thats when Doc will Doc it up. They aren't super deep either so his love for all bench units will also come into play

HOWEVER Giannis, the corny fake humble guy he is, is a demon and may be good enough to negate it by pure will alone.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,701

Post#896 » by FireMorey » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:01 pm

Rivers did a good job last year considering their record and the injuries. But the biggest indictment on him was when the Celtics made their lineup adjustment in the playoffs, they asked him about it and he said "Yeah, we expected it and we prepared for it" and they came out totally unprepared for it. That's when the series turned.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,390

Post#897 » by Murray_17 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:28 pm

There should be a bet in how many practices the Bucks are gonna suspend so Doc can go play golf.
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 129

Post#898 » by fkd215 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:42 pm

Now that the original hilarity has worn off, I think Doc raises their floor but lowers their ceiling. He'll get the most out of Giannis and Dame (though I don't think there's a lot of potential left that hasn't already been tapped for either) and their PnR alone should keep them winning regular season games. His presence means a predictable stability and they won't likely lose their high playoff seeding. But I don't see them being the defensive team they once were, and once the playoffs come, of course all bets are off.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 430

Post#899 » by Zumramania » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:18 am

I'm so glad that this guy is not our problem anymore, and that the discussions like: "Is he really a bad coach or we don't have a good enough roster for the playoffs?" and "Is our rookie really that bad or Doc just didn't give him any opportunity?" will now be there for the Bucks fans to enjoy.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,609

Post#900 » by NYSixersFan » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:55 am

Prediction: We're 3-1 in the 2nd round and lose in 7 to Doc. It would be very Sixers like.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers