ImageImageImage

Welcome Tobias Harris

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,153

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#1081 » by mjkvol » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:11 pm

Embiid P wrote:Bumping this one up. I know I've been really hard on Tobi pretty much ever since he signed his big contract and kept coming up small in the postseason. However, it's obvious that he is really thriving this season under Nurse and without Harden so there are far less who are willing to trade him now than they were before. Some are even willing to bring him back next season on a more reasonable deal.

Personally I'm not in as big of a rush to trade him as it would be foolish to significantly disrupt team chemistry right now but at the same time, I can't help but wonder what his current value is around the league as a big expiring contract who's having a really good start to the season.

While I fully understand the logic of holding onto him at least until he expires, I also know that we aren't the most attractive destination for free agents as we've been spurned by numerous big name free agents over the years in favor of NY, LA, Miami, etc. so relying primarily on free agency to get us over the hump isn't a safe bet either.

Personally I wouldn't move him unless we are getting back at least one valuable asset (i.e. a very lightly protected first and/or a young high end prospect on a rookie contract) assuming that we'd be taking on longer contracts for better fitting pieces. I don't think that packaging him along with other assets for a star is necessarily a good idea either though I fear that's what Morey may be doing. What say you all?

For me it's always been about more than just the contract with Tobias. It's the pounding away of the ball in ISO and stopping ball movement and the disappearing acts late in games that have far more been the issues. He's been much better in the Nurse system (hasn't everyone?), and while I'm fine with him being here all season, I can't help but think his main value might be as a trade chip as part of a package at the deadline to bring in a player we might want beyond this season.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,818

Post#1082 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:28 pm

76ciology wrote:He hasn’t made any corner 3s this season. Shows his commitment to NOT be a 3&D player.

He knows he’s struggling with his corner 3s and is practicing it
[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Iscull
Senior
And1: 134

Post#1083 » by Iscull » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:16 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Embiid P wrote:Bumping this one up. I know I've been really hard on Tobi pretty much ever since he signed his big contract and kept coming up small in the postseason. However, it's obvious that he is really thriving this season under Nurse and without Harden so there are far less who are willing to trade him now than they were before. Some are even willing to bring him back next season on a more reasonable deal.

Personally I'm not in as big of a rush to trade him as it would be foolish to significantly disrupt team chemistry right now but at the same time, I can't help but wonder what his current value is around the league as a big expiring contract who's having a really good start to the season.

While I fully understand the logic of holding onto him at least until he expires, I also know that we aren't the most attractive destination for free agents as we've been spurned by numerous big name free agents over the years in favor of NY, LA, Miami, etc. so relying primarily on free agency to get us over the hump isn't a safe bet either.

Personally I wouldn't move him unless we are getting back at least one valuable asset (i.e. a very lightly protected first and/or a young high end prospect on a rookie contract) assuming that we'd be taking on longer contracts for better fitting pieces. I don't think that packaging him along with other assets for a star is necessarily a good idea either though I fear that's what Morey may be doing. What say you all?

For me it's always been about more than just the contract with Tobias. It's the pounding away of the ball in ISO and stopping ball movement and the disappearing acts late in games that have far more been the issues. He's been much better in the Nurse system (hasn't everyone?), and while I'm fine with him being here all season, I can't help but think his main value might be as a trade chip as part of a package at the deadline to bring in a player we might want beyond this season.

Assuming Harris and the team continue to play at this level, I think it would be a mistake to trade him to get another "star" like OG, Lavine, or Siakam. The chemistry will only continue to improve. Seperaretly, the contribution difference b/w Harris who has gelled with the team for a while and a new guy learning the system in January is probably not material enough to give up a haul (Harris, Melton, 1st Rounders, etc.).

Obviously, a lot can change over the course of the season. That said, if things go well - I think it's in our best interest to trade for more of a role player than a star, while keeping Harris. Thinking either a PG or wing who would be an upgrade over Melton or Roco. Someone who could play at least 20-25 mpg in the playoffs. Maybe Ivey, Brogdon, Olynyk, Collins, Boucher, etc.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,153

Post#1084 » by mjkvol » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:10 pm

Iscull wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Assuming Harris and the team continue to play at this level, I think it would be a mistake to trade him to get another "star" like OG, Lavine, or Siakam. The chemistry will only continue to improve. Seperaretly, the contribution difference b/w Harris who has gelled with the team for a while and a new guy learning the system in January is probably not material enough to give up a haul (Harris, Melton, 1st Rounders, etc.).

Obviously, a lot can change over the course of the season. That said, if things go well - I think it's in our best interest to trade for more of a role player than a star, while keeping Harris. Thinking either a PG or wing who would be an upgrade over Melton or Roco. Someone who could play at least 20-25 mpg in the playoffs. Maybe Ivey, Brogdon, Olynyk, Collins, Boucher, etc.

I've said time and again on here that my hope is for Morey to abandon the "3rd star" obsession and to take a Nuggets-like approach to finishing the team build. I much prefer 2-3 role players that fit needs (backup PG, another athletic wing, shooter) to the top heavy approach we have had the last 5-6 years, so we can go 8-9 deep with quality players in the playoffs.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,454

Post#1085 » by FlyingArrow » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:21 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Iscull wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I've said time and again on here that my hope is for Morey to abandon the "3rd star" obsession and to take a Nuggets-like approach to finishing the team build. I much prefer 2-3 role players that fit needs (backup PG, another athletic wing, shooter) to the top heavy approach we have had the last 5-6 years, so we can go 8-9 deep with quality players in the playoffs.

Agreed. Tobias has been overpaid on a long contract, but he hasn't been a bad player. He's been a perfectly average NBA starter but paid like a superstar. And, often, a pretty good NBA starter. Remember that he was a good tank commander. The players we're talking about bringing in aren't players who are leading their own contender. (Of course! Contenders aren't trading away their best players.) So maybe they're leading a low-tier playoff team instead of a tanking team, but the difference between these players and Tobias just isn't that much. We'd see a better improvement by keeping Tobias and upgrading elsewhere. Maybe we won't end up trading for the best of the available players, but we'll end up with a better team.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,594

Post#1086 » by youngcrev » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:24 pm

76ciology wrote:
76ciology wrote:He hasn’t made any corner 3s this season. Shows his commitment to NOT be a 3&D player.

He knows he’s struggling with his corner 3s and is practicing it
[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

:-?
He's 3 of 5 on his corner 3s this year based on basketball reference data

Edit: NVM, thought you meant Batum
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,551

Post#1087 » by elchengue20 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:15 am

Pay that man!! Lol

Hope we profit from these performances to try to package him for someone better.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,831

Post#1088 » by the_process » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:24 pm

This thread. :lol:

The first 10 pages are so painful to read. It's funny how badly we try to justify what this team does.

I hope Morey can use Tobi's good performances like last night to fool a team in to giving up some assets.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,841

Post#1089 » by phillynative » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:46 pm

I heard crumbl cookies are delicious.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,710

Post#1090 » by rzzzzz » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:50 pm

I ain’t against trading him for someone substantial, but if Nick can get more games out of him like last night, he could genuinely be the #3 we need so bad for the playoffs. Not trying to underestimate the genuine disappointment in the performance per $ we’ve gotten from Elton’s desperation contract after we screwed up the Jimmy acquisition, but given a couple of the break through games Harris has given us this season, I’m not sure how badly Doc/Brett/Doc II may have utilized him.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,818

Post#1091 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:46 pm

You dont know what you’ve got until it’s gone.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,994

Post#1092 » by Mik317 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:09 pm

Tobias needs too many on ball reps to get going and isn't often good enough to deserve them. That has been one of his biggest flaws since arriving here (that and his incredible stiff hips that prevent him from getting loose balls or moving on defense wtf lol). Last night, we went to him to get us a bucket because the Nuggets were putting weak, small, or both defenders on him and had him go to work and it was big time. But it came without Biid and against their second unit... come playoff time those thing lessen.

HOWEVA.. trading him for a guard type makes us smaller and puts more on two old dudes, a space cadet and a guy who has been having knee issues to hold down the forward spots

So its a damned if you do damned if you don't type situation...plus it seems like Jo and Maxey love the guy so maybe....

idk like I said... I am down for almost any move they make and yet against any move they make at this stage lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,841

Post#1093 » by phillynative » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:46 pm

Mik317 wrote:Tobias needs too many on ball reps to get going and isn't often good enough to deserve them. That has been one of his biggest flaws since arriving here (that and his incredible stiff hips that prevent him from getting loose balls or moving on defense wtf lol). Last night, we went to him to get us a bucket because the Nuggets were putting weak, small, or both defenders on him and had him go to work and it was big time. But it came without Biid and against their second unit... come playoff time those thing lessen.

HOWEVA.. trading him for a guard type makes us smaller and puts more on two old dudes, a space cadet and a guy who has been having knee issues to hold down the forward spots

So its a damned if you do damned if you don't type situation...plus it seems like Jo and Maxey love the guy so maybe....

idk like I said... I am down for almost any move they make and yet against any move they make at this stage lol

The problem is Tobis best spots on the floor are where Embiid operates when they are both on the floor. Embiid is elite from midrange where as Tobi is pretty good depending on the matchup.
Embiids usage is a little too high but I would prefer a shot creator to take some of that usage .

If we cannot find a( reasonable/practical ) Tobi replacement than I'm fine with finding another role playing playmaker and hoping for the best.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,594

Post#1094 » by youngcrev » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:48 pm

Mik317 wrote:Tobias needs too many on ball reps to get going and isn't often good enough to deserve them. That has been one of his biggest flaws since arriving here (that and his incredible stiff hips that prevent him from getting loose balls or moving on defense wtf lol). Last night, we went to him to get us a bucket because the Nuggets were putting weak, small, or both defenders on him and had him go to work and it was big time. But it came without Biid and against their second unit... come playoff time those thing lessen.

I feel like not enough is focused on these 2 bolded items when it comes to trading him.

Tobias needs too many on ball reps to be effective here. People should keep that in mind when they are looking at trade targets that primarily need the ball to be effective!

And yeah, I don't think they should be relying on the olds or Oubre any more than they already are. They've been good in their roles, but you could argue they're already overextended.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1095 » by the_process » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:51 am

rzzzzz wrote:I ain’t against trading him for someone substantial, but if Nick can get more games out of him like last night, he could genuinely be the #3 we need so bad for the playoffs. Not trying to underestimate the genuine disappointment in the performance per $ we’ve gotten from Elton’s desperation contract after we screwed up the Jimmy acquisition, but given a couple of the break through games Harris has given us this season, I’m not sure how badly Doc/Brett/Doc II may have utilized him.

The extensive track record says good first round, disappearing act in the 2nd round; so no, he cannot.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,615

Post#1096 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:38 am

I want to like & believe in Tobias so badly but I’ve been burned too many times. He’s still too valuable to this team & our chemistry is great so I doubt he gets traded. I would even be ok with him signing a reasonable contract & returning next year. But it’s probably best for everyone to just go their separate ways this summer.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,551

Post#1097 » by elchengue20 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:47 am

Great game again, the issue is i have no confidence in him to do this consistenly in must win Playoff games, like a Game 6 against Boston or Milwakee.

We all know he's going to dissapear when it really matters and also get cooked on defense.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1098 » by the_process » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:54 am

elchengue20 wrote:Great game again, the issue is i have no confidence in him to do this consistenly in must win Playoff games, like a Game 6 against Boston or Milwakee.

We all know he's going to disappear when it really matters and also get cooked on defense.

Bingo.

You also left out get his shot blocked repeatedly.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,079

Post#1099 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:56 am

Idk like we can just say he played great last night without the obvious other context we all know, thanks Tobias
the_process
RealGM

Post#1100 » by the_process » Mon Feb 5, 2024 7:39 pm

The WT article today about the Pistons still being interested in Tobias... I wonder if that's Weaver floating that out there to let Morey his offer is still on the table, or if it's Tobias' dad/agent because he wants to get his son/client to what he thinks is a more profitable destination?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers