ImageImageImage

Welcome Tobias Harris

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,811

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#1061 » by 76ciology » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:50 am

Embiid P wrote:For those of you who are on the keep Harris bandwagon, keep in mind that his scoring will likely go back down when Maxey returns. Also, given his inflated numbers, his current trade value is likely the highest it will be this season (not counting the offseason when it will be higher as an expiring).

His recent hot streak is great, but as mjkvol said, until he proves it in the second round of the playoffs or later, color me skeptical. I just fear that another early exit in the playoffs will have more important ramifications, such as Harden walking and Embiid demanding a trade in the offseason.

“2022-2023 Tobias Harris Victory Tour” huh?

“recent hot streak” of tobias
50FG%
42 3pt%
87 FT%

*definition of “recent hot streak” as per peer reviewed CDC dictionary is for the last 20 games

Last year’s playoffs
Shot 50-38-86 with Very good defense

Tobias has not only been more consistent but also more available than both Harden and Embiid

If Harden and Embiid can’t win with this supporting cast, then you might want to rethink about our top 2 guys.

Heat series.
Its because Jimmy Butler outplayed Embiid and Harden. That series wasn’t a marquee match-up of Tobias Harris vs Jimmy Butler. Tobias was just a scape goat that we fans ALWAYS have.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#1062 » by M2J » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:57 am

76ciology wrote:
LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Empty stats

Advanced stats say no.

Many slackers on defense that it asks a lot from guys on defense. Many ball stoppers that reduces guys to spot up shooters on offense.

You may get a more talented player than Tobias, but he will ask for a larger role (John collins?)

You may get a worse player than Tobias, but you will ask a lot from him once your star player becomes absent physically or mentally (Jae Crowder?)

I once thought Collins was the type of move you trade Tobias for. He provides things they need. If not trade Tobi as part of a package for a better player (maybe still that).

But, I really think that these changes from Tobias makes him super valuable. The volume of three-point shots and general efficiency is what the team needs. He's also the second best two-way player on the team after Joel.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#1063 » by mjkvol » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:23 pm

76ciology wrote:
Embiid P wrote:For those of you who are on the keep Harris bandwagon, keep in mind that his scoring will likely go back down when Maxey returns. Also, given his inflated numbers, his current trade value is likely the highest it will be this season (not counting the offseason when it will be higher as an expiring).

His recent hot streak is great, but as mjkvol said, until he proves it in the second round of the playoffs or later, color me skeptical. I just fear that another early exit in the playoffs will have more important ramifications, such as Harden walking and Embiid demanding a trade in the offseason.

“2022-2023 Tobias Harris Victory Tour” huh?

“recent hot streak” of tobias
50FG%
42 3pt%
87 FT%

*definition of “recent hot streak” as per peer reviewed CDC dictionary is for the last 20 games

Last year’s playoffs
Shot 50-38-86 with Very good defense

Tobias has not only been more consistent but also more available than both Harden and Embiid

If Harden and Embiid can’t win with this supporting cast, then you might want to rethink about our top 2 guys.

Heat series.
Its because Jimmy Butler outplayed Embiid and Harden. That series wasn’t a marquee match-up of Tobias Harris vs Jimmy Butler. Tobias was just a scape goat that we fans ALWAYS have.

You might be right about Embiid and Harden, in which case the best move would be to tear the whole thing down before it implodes and there is zero value left. Sadly, that's more and more how I feel about this group, unless occasional sellouts and inevitable second round exits are the goal.

But you can quote all the Tobias numbers you want, and the bottom line is that he has never, and will never be a difference maker in the biggest spots. He's the classic JAG - not a knock, just the way it is.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,331

Post#1064 » by Arsenal » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:38 pm

Would be counterproductive to move him at this point considering we won't get anything good in return.

He's fitting his role well. Let it ride until the offseason and reassess then unless a good offer materializes (it won't).
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,069

Post#1065 » by Negrodamus » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:57 pm

While Tobias isn't performing at a max level in the playoffs, or regular season for that matter, he's rarely been a negative in the past two playoffs aside from a game or two. I think everyone needs to separate the contract from the player at this point. He's not going to be a 25 ppg scorer when Embiid goes down or is hampered by injury in a playoff series, but he will be a 15-20 ppg on decent efficiency and solid defense.

He's not the guy who will carry the team in the second round, but he's also not the issue preventing us from moving on, imo.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,101

Post#1066 » by Embiid P » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:25 pm

Negrodamus wrote:While Tobias isn't performing at a max level in the playoffs, or regular season for that matter, he's rarely been a negative in the past two playoffs aside from a game or two. I think everyone needs to separate the contract from the player at this point. He's not going to be a 25 ppg scorer when Embiid goes down or is hampered by injury in a playoff series, but he will be a 15-20 ppg on decent efficiency and solid defense.

He's not the guy who will carry the team in the second round, but he's also not the issue preventing us from moving on, imo.

It's not that Tobias is a bad player. I respect him for adjusting his game to try to accommodate Embiid and Harden even though he'll never be a pure catch and shoot type of player. It's that his contract has severely limited the amount of moves we can make to better the team as in for lengthy wings and forwards that can defend the likes of Giannis, Tatum, Siakam, Evan Mobley, etc. in the playoffs and compete on the glass.

Really a major eye opener for me was last year's Finals when Wiggins with his length and athleticism was able to give Tatum fits and was a huge reason why GS won. We currently lack that type of player.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,612

Post#1067 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:43 pm

I find it hard to get mad about the contract anymore. We just had a golden opportunity this offseason to sign a solid wing and instead used our flexibility to sign PJ Tucker & Danuel House.

Even with his contract, we’ve had opportunities to address roster needs and squandered them. It’s not like having extra cap space would magically turn us into a smart, well-functioning organization.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#1068 » by mjkvol » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:51 pm

Negrodamus wrote:While Tobias isn't performing at a max level in the playoffs, or regular season for that matter, he's rarely been a negative in the past two playoffs aside from a game or two. I think everyone needs to separate the contract from the player at this point. He's not going to be a 25 ppg scorer when Embiid goes down or is hampered by injury in a playoff series, but he will be a 15-20 ppg on decent efficiency and solid defense.

I don't disagree with any of what you say. Hoping for a trade that would improve the team in any meaningful way at this point is a pipe dream, and Tobias, as you say, is not a negative player the way he has adjusted his game. Any impact trade really had to be made last summer, and this team is what it is for this season - a nice group, but a few key pieces from a serious championship contender.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#1069 » by Embiid P » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:27 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:I find it hard to get mad about the contract anymore. We just had a golden opportunity this offseason to sign a solid wing and instead used our flexibility to sign PJ Tucker & Danuel House.

Even with his contract, we’ve had opportunities to address roster needs and squandered them. It’s not like having extra cap space would magically turn us into a smart, well-functioning organization.

I don't think Tucker was as bad of a signing as some make it out to be. Sure he gives us little in terms of offense but he does provide good defense (he is often the primary defender of the opposing team's best forward), rebounding and toughness and as a result he is respected by his teammates and coach. I do think he's playing too many minutes given his age and should be relegated to a bench role at least until the playoffs. House hasn't added much thus far but I'm not going to lose sleep over a $4 million per player.

Younger but established starting caliber 3 and D wings/forwards in their prime usually don't come cheap (likely more than what Tucker and House make combined). Hence why it will be tough to acquire one with Tobias on the roster.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,612

Post#1070 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:06 pm

A starting caliber 3&D wing is someone you have to acquire through the draft for the most part. Teams almost never trade players like that unless it a bizarre circumstance like Wiggins or when the Lakers decided to blow up their team for Westbrook.

I don’t mean to be a PJ hater either, I personally like him. But we could have had Kyle Anderson or Bruce Brown for less money & fewer years than we paid PJ.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1071 » by 76ciology » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:37 am

Embiid P wrote:

It's not that Tobias is a bad player. I respect him for adjusting his game to try to accommodate Embiid and Harden even though he'll never be a pure catch and shoot type of player. It's that his contract has severely limited the amount of moves we can make to better the team as in for lengthy wings and forwards that can defend the likes of Giannis, Tatum, Siakam, Evan Mobley, etc. in the playoffs and compete on the glass.

Really a major eye opener for me was last year's Finals when Wiggins with his length and athleticism was able to give Tatum fits and was a huge reason why GS won. We currently lack that type of player.

Tobi didn’t limit us from making moves. And the guys Morey (and Harden and Embiid) decide to do that role are Tucker and House.

And previously Tobias’ contract didnt stop us from signing Niang, Drummond and D12
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,591

Post#1072 » by youngcrev » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:51 pm

76ciology wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

Tobi didn’t limit us from making moves. And the guys Morey (and Harden and Embiid) decide to do that role are Tucker and House.

And previously Tobias’ contract didnt stop us from signing Niang, Drummond and D12

I disagree that he didn't limit us, Morey was just able to do a really good job of working around the limitation. Getting Harden to take less so that the team could trade Danny Green's corpse for a legit rotation player and still be able to use the MLE and BAE was huge for this team's depth.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1073 » by 76ciology » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:56 pm

Tired. Let the game do the talking again.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1074 » by 76ciology » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:07 pm

Read on Twitter
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1075 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 3, 2023 5:49 pm

Highest EFG% with 0-4 seconds left on the shot clock (min 50 attempts):

1. T. Harris: 55.5%—64 FGA
2. Randle: 55.1%—108
3. OG: 54.5%—55
4. Fox: 54.1%—98
5. Durant: 53.9%—51

Lowest:
1. Bones: 28.0%—50
2. LeBron: 28.9%—83
3. Ja: 30.0%—80
4. Tatum: 30.7%—88
5. Westbrook: 30.8%—60
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 480

Post#1076 » by Sixercise » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:47 am

Boy did he drop a major goose egg the other night vs the Cs, even with their B-squad....time for him to go.
rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,069

Post#1077 » by Negrodamus » Thu Feb 9, 2023 2:59 pm

We should trade him for Kawhi.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,989

Post#1078 » by Stanford » Thu Feb 9, 2023 4:05 pm

Negrodamus wrote:We should trade him for Kawhi.

Meanwhile, Morey is twiddling his thumbs. Get the deal done, fraud
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#1079 » by Embiid P » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:44 am

Bumping this one up. I know I've been really hard on Tobi pretty much ever since he signed his big contract and kept coming up small in the postseason. However, it's obvious that he is really thriving this season under Nurse and without Harden so there are far less who are willing to trade him now than they were before. Some are even willing to bring him back next season on a more reasonable deal.

Personally I'm not in as big of a rush to trade him as it would be foolish to significantly disrupt team chemistry right now but at the same time, I can't help but wonder what his current value is around the league as a big expiring contract who's having a really good start to the season.

While I fully understand the logic of holding onto him at least until he expires, I also know that we aren't the most attractive destination for free agents as we've been spurned by numerous big name free agents over the years in favor of NY, LA, Miami, etc. so relying primarily on free agency to get us over the hump isn't a safe bet either.

Personally I wouldn't move him unless we are getting back at least one valuable asset (i.e. a very lightly protected first and/or a young high end prospect on a rookie contract) assuming that we'd be taking on longer contracts for better fitting pieces. I don't think that packaging him along with other assets for a star is necessarily a good idea either though I fear that's what Morey may be doing. What say you all?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1080 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:42 pm

He hasn’t made any corner 3s this season. Shows his commitment to NOT be a 3&D player.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers