Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,812

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#1041 » by 76ciology » Thu Dec 8, 2022 3:23 am

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Empty stats

Advanced stats say no.

Many slackers on defense that it asks a lot from guys on defense. Many ball stoppers that reduces guys to spot up shooters on offense.

You may get a more talented player than Tobias, but he will ask for a larger role (John collins?)

You may get a worse player than Tobias, but you will ask a lot from him once your star player becomes absent physically or mentally (Jae Crowder?)
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1042 » by 76ciology » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:10 am

Not championship caliber

Read on Twitter

You need guys who can jack up 3s with no conscience to play with Biid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,828

Post#1043 » by the_process » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:53 pm

76ciology wrote:Not championship caliber

Read on Twitter

Tobias' instinct is not C&S. It is pound the air out of the rock and "self-create" a contested 17 footer.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1044 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:01 pm

the_process wrote:
76ciology wrote:Not championship caliber

Read on Twitter

Tobias' instinct is not C&S. It is pound the air out of the rock and "self-create" a contested 17 footer.

I agree
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1045 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:08 pm

Some Tobias Harris stuff this year that are career highs with Philly (Sixer average)

• 3PM 2.3 (1.6)
• 3P% 42% (37)
• CORNER %3PA 35% (23)
• TS 60% (57)
• STL 1.9% (1.1)
• DUNK 7.2% (0.5)
• SPOT UP PPP 1.25
• TRANSITION PPP 1.32
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,388

Post#1046 » by Murray_17 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:27 pm

I don't think people have doubts that Tobias can be a championship caliber player.

The issue is his value relative to his contract, which always has been.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,992

Post#1047 » by Mik317 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:00 pm

Tobias adjusted his game. Great.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,828

Post#1048 » by the_process » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:04 pm

Mik317 wrote:Tobias adjusted his game. Great.

I can probably train a dog to act like a cat, too.

It doesn't stick, and it just annoys the dog.

Tobias is not a dog, anyway. Or doesn't have the dog in him. Or whatever that argument was.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,225

Post#1049 » by Kobblehead » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:23 pm

Rebounding, playmaking, defense, scoring, shooting. Harris is literally showing us everything we HOPED he'd give us back when we traded for and extended him. Plus, with 260+ games with the Sixers, he's developed a lot of built-in chemistry and continuity in the organization. At this point, it would HURT our championship odds to move him, IMO.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,612

Post#1050 » by Jailblazers7 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:38 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Rebounding, playmaking, defense, scoring, shooting. Harris is literally showing us everything we HOPED he'd give us back when we traded for and extended him. Plus, with 260+ games with the Sixers, he's developed a lot of built-in chemistry and continuity in the organization. At this point, it would HURT our championship odds to move him, IMO.

I agree I think he’s been awesome and will stay given his relative value to our team vs his external value/contract. The only move I’m hoping for Shake or Matisse to be moved for a playable wing. Otherwise, I think it’s on Embiid/Harden to show up in big games. We have a punchers chance but that means our two best punches better be doing some damage.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 430

Post#1051 » by Zumramania » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:22 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Rebounding, playmaking, defense, scoring, shooting. Harris is literally showing us everything we HOPED he'd give us back when we traded for and extended him. Plus, with 260+ games with the Sixers, he's developed a lot of built-in chemistry and continuity in the organization. At this point, it would HURT our championship odds to move him, IMO.

I would wait until the second round of the playoffs to pass that judgement. I think that in the current setup with Embiid, Harden (and Maxey), there are quite a few players who could have a similar offensive production like Harris, but would defend and rebound better. And he also tends to choke in important playoff games. I'm not that optimistic.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#1052 » by SixthStreet » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:43 pm

It looks like we need Harris' shot creation given that Harden looks like he's transitioned to a pure PG. We will be a little light there even with Maxey in the playoffs if Harden can't get to the line anymore which it doesn't seem like he can. Trading him for a pure D & 3 would be bad now.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,388

Post#1053 » by Murray_17 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:36 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:
I agree I think he’s been awesome and will stay given his relative value to our team vs his external value/contract. The only move I’m hoping for Shake or Matisse to be moved for a playable wing. Otherwise, I think it’s on Embiid/Harden to show up in big games. We have a punchers chance but that means our two best punches better be doing some damage.

If you stack those contracts and add Kork, we could get a good piece from one of the teams who are gonna re-tool, the 3 are expirings too so a team trying to get under the apron could bite
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1054 » by Kobblehead » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:40 pm

Zumramania wrote:

I would wait until the second round of the playoffs to pass that judgement. I think that in the current setup with Embiid, Harden (and Maxey), there are quite a few players who could have a similar offensive production like Harris, but would defend and rebound better. And he also tends to choke in important playoff games. I'm not that optimistic.

I think on-court familiarity is a major factor in determining a team's ability to win a championship. Our group already lacks on-court familiarity and continuity with each other. Harris has one of the longest tenures on the roster. Uprooting him at this point would do more harm than good, IMO.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#1055 » by mjkvol » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:22 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Zumramania wrote:

I think on-court familiarity is a major factor in determining a team's ability to win a championship. Our group already lacks on-court familiarity and continuity with each other. Harris has one of the longest tenures on the roster. Uprooting him at this point would do more harm than good, IMO.

I have to agree with the viewpoint of waiting to see what he does late season and especially in the playoffs before evaluating Tobias. When the game is compressed and slows down like it does in the playoffs, and you're dealing with better defenses night to night, it will be interesting to see how Tobias' performance differs, or if he really has turned a corner.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1056 » by Kobblehead » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:25 pm

If the Sixers flame out in the playoffs yet again and Harris plays poorly, then he's one year closer to coming off the books anyway.

Hitting the reset button on chemistry by making another roster shake-up takes us out of contention this year.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#1057 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:47 pm

SixthStreet wrote:It looks like we need Harris' shot creation given that Harden looks like he's transitioned to a pure PG. We will be a little light there even with Maxey in the playoffs if Harden can't get to the line anymore which it doesn't seem like he can. Trading him for a pure D & 3 would be bad now.

Why not get a better ace shot creator with gravity that can pressure offenses tho if available... 4 years Tobias obviously ain't it...

Embiid

Ace wing
3 and D Melton , Thybulle ,house ,Tucker

Harden/ Maxey.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1058 » by 76ciology » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:08 am

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:It looks like we need Harris' shot creation given that Harden looks like he's transitioned to a pure PG. We will be a little light there even with Maxey in the playoffs if Harden can't get to the line anymore which it doesn't seem like he can. Trading him for a pure D & 3 would be bad now.

Why not get a better ace shot creator with gravity that can pressure offenses tho if available... 4 years Tobias obviously ain't it...

Embiid

Ace wing
3 and D Melton , Thybulle ,house ,Tucker

Harden/ Maxey.

You mean like trading Tobias for Kevin Durant? Sign me up
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,102

Post#1059 » by Embiid P » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:25 am

For those of you who are on the keep Harris bandwagon, keep in mind that his scoring will likely go back down when Maxey returns. Also, given his inflated numbers, his current trade value is likely the highest it will be this season (not counting the offseason when it will be higher as an expiring).

His recent hot streak is great, but as mjkvol said, until he proves it in the second round of the playoffs or later, color me skeptical. I just fear that another early exit in the playoffs will have more important ramifications, such as Harden walking and Embiid demanding a trade in the offseason.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,149

Post#1060 » by mjkvol » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:29 am

Embiid P wrote:For those of you who are on the keep Harris bandwagon, keep in mind that his scoring will likely go back down when Maxey returns. Also, given his inflated numbers, his current trade value is likely the highest it will be this season (not counting the offseason when it will be higher as an expiring).

His recent hot streak is great, but as mjkvol said, until he proves it in the second round of the playoffs or later, color me skeptical. I just fear that another early exit in the playoffs will have more important ramifications, such as Harden walking and Embiid demanding a trade in the offseason.

It's kind of hard to believe a group of knowledgeable fans like we have here is so quick to forget three years of empty performances from Harris because of an early season streak on a team, as you said, missing one of its primary scorers. And against mostly average to below competition.

I'm with you, this should be seen primarily as an opportunity to move him while his value is as high as it may ever be, but I fear that Morey and Glenn will buy into this fools gold as well.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers