ImageImageImage

PHILS

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,284

Re: PHILS 

Post#81 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 6, 2022 3:07 pm

The good news is that there's likely to be some strong internal improvement from this team. Bohm and Marsh were really good hitting prospects that should continue to get a little better at the plate. Stott is a good hitting prospect that should get A LOT better at the plate. So there should be less holes in our lineup next year.

The bad news is that the "no corners" defense will continue with Bohm/Schwarber/Hoskins/Castellanos all being in place.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,104

Post#82 » by Embiid P » Sun Nov 6, 2022 4:40 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Embiid P wrote:I should be proud, but I be lying if I said that today wasn't a kick in the jewels as a Philly sports fan. Both the Union and Phillies had a chance to win and they blew it in typical heartbreaking Philly-fashion.

Disagree. This wasn't a case of 'blowing it', the Phils just got beat by a better team, actually a buzzsaw pitching staff. There was never a point after game 4 where this felt like the Phils would be able to take four games from Houston. They had a remarkable run and gave us some incredible moments along the way, but Houston is a juggernaut.

The reason I say they blew it is because they stranded way too many base runners particularly in game 5. To Houston's credit, they made some great defensive plays like Pena catching Castellanos's line drive in the 5th I believe, Mancini being at the right place at the right time on Schwarber's ground ball in the 8th and of course McCormick's wall catch on Realmuto's fly ball in the 9th.

However, striking out with the bases loaded was a real momentum killer and again I thought our 2, 3 and 5 hitters helped them out a lot by being overly aggressive.

In game 6, of course Thomson will always be second guessed for taking out Wheeler and replacing him with Alverado.

I stand by my statement that this roster needs less power hitters and more contact hitters.

As far as the Union goes, they were up 3 goals to 2 with a few minutes left in extra time, let LA tie it up and then were shut out 3-0 in penalty kicks to a backup goalkeeper. If that isn't blowing it IDK what is.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#83 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 6, 2022 4:56 pm

Embiid P wrote:I stand by my statement that this roster needs less power hitters and more contact hitters.

Outside of Hoskins and Schwarber, what power guys do they have that can't hit for contact?

Castellanos had a down year, but he's a career .276 hitter. He should bounce back.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,235

Post#84 » by mjkvol » Sun Nov 6, 2022 5:02 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Embiid P wrote:I should be proud, but I be lying if I said that today wasn't a kick in the jewels as a Philly sports fan. Both the Union and Phillies had a chance to win and they blew it in typical heartbreaking Philly-fashion.

Disagree. This wasn't a case of 'blowing it', the Phils just got beat by a better team, actually a buzzsaw pitching staff. There was never a point after game 4 where this felt like the Phils would be able to take four games from Houston. They had a remarkable run and gave us some incredible moments along the way, but Houston is a juggernaut.

Hard agree. This is the first time in my sports history where I wasn't crushed after we lost the final championship game. Also, I know Dombrowski has the pieces and funds to make a much better team next year. We might not capture the magic of this run but I low key have the same feeling I had in 2007 when we lost to the Rockies.

The only one I can think of where I felt the same - proud of the team and knowing they went as far as they realistically could, given the opponent - was the 2001 Sixers. AI carrying what was essentially a 25-win group to the Finals was enough, and giving us that first game win in L.A. was electrifying, but reality struck hard after that.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by mjkvol » Sun Nov 6, 2022 5:06 pm

Kobblehead wrote:The good news is that there's likely to be some strong internal improvement from this team. Bohm and Marsh were really good hitting prospects that should continue to get a little better at the plate. Stott is a good hitting prospect that should get A LOT better at the plate. So there should be less holes in our lineup next year.

The bad news is that the "no corners" defense will continue with Bohm/Schwarber/Hoskins/Castellanos all being in place.

Totally agree on the three young guys getting better, but I hope that Harper will play some OF next year, and let Castellanos do a lot of DHing. Pick up another bullpen arm and definitely a legit backup catcher to give J.T. a break.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by mjkvol » Sun Nov 6, 2022 5:10 pm

Embiid P wrote:In game 6, of course Thomson will always be second guessed for taking out Wheeler and replacing him with Alverado.

Not by me. I would have left him in, but that's the way Thomson was doing it throughout the playoffs, and second guessing it at that point is beyond nitpicking. His off the beaten path style had a whole lot to do with getting that far.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#87 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 6, 2022 5:16 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:The good news is that there's likely to be some strong internal improvement from this team. Bohm and Marsh were really good hitting prospects that should continue to get a little better at the plate. Stott is a good hitting prospect that should get A LOT better at the plate. So there should be less holes in our lineup next year.

Totally agree on the three young guys getting better, but I hope that Harper will play some OF next year, and let Castellanos do a lot of DHing. Pick up another bullpen arm and definitely a legit backup catcher to give J.T. a break.

I think Harper needs to commit to being an everyday fielder. The math changes dramatically. You go from having a 33% defensive competency outfield to a 66% defensive competency outfield.

And then yeah, we have the DH to hide one of the other defensive holes at 3B, 1B, LF.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by mjkvol » Mon Nov 7, 2022 12:41 am

https://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/55128/Zack-Wheeler-Caught-Off-Guard-When-Pulled

Interesting. I'd have thought that these guys knew how Thomson was working the Series by that point. Personally, I'd have left Wheeler in until it was clear he was done.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,050

Post#89 » by Stanford » Tue Nov 8, 2022 7:42 pm

the_process wrote:
Stanford wrote:9th > 8th, sorry, it's math

10th > 9th

JT Realmuto.

It's even better when you win the series
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 673

Post#90 » by Monix » Wed Nov 9, 2022 1:17 am

Kobblehead wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I think Harper needs to commit to being an everyday fielder. The math changes dramatically. You go from having a 33% defensive competency outfield to a 66% defensive competency outfield.

And then yeah, we have the DH to hide one of the other defensive holes at 3B, 1B, LF.

it's not commitment, it's an injury

he needs TJ if he's going to play RF, hopefully has it scheduled in the coming weeks
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#91 » by Embiid P » Tue Dec 6, 2022 5:14 am

Just wondering what are people's thoughts on the Turner deal? Obviously $300 million for 11 years is a lot but he was easily the best offensive player on the market aside from Judge. Hopefully he'll help the bats which struggled in games 4-6 in the WS.

BTW Verlander signed with the Mets for 2 years $86 million. Not too thrilled about having him in our division. Hopefully Father Time will have caught up to him.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by mjkvol » Tue Dec 6, 2022 3:56 pm

Embiid P wrote:Just wondering what are people's thoughts on the Turner deal? Obviously $300 million for 11 years is a lot but he was easily the best offensive player on the market aside from Judge. Hopefully he'll help the bats which struggled in games 4-6 in the WS.

BTW Verlander signed with the Mets for 2 years $86 million. Not too thrilled about having him in our division. Hopefully Father Time will have caught up to him.

Better Verlander at his age than DeGrom.

Turner was a perfect signing, and takes care of 2nd base as well with Stott moving over. Only down side is the the middle infield defense still isn't a strength.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Post#93 » by the_process » Tue Dec 6, 2022 8:11 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Embiid P wrote:Just wondering what are people's thoughts on the Turner deal? Obviously $300 million for 11 years is a lot but he was easily the best offensive player on the market aside from Judge. Hopefully he'll help the bats which struggled in games 4-6 in the WS.

Better Verlander at his age than DeGrom.

Turner was a perfect signing, and takes care of 2nd base as well with Stott moving over. Only down side is the the middle infield defense still isn't a strength.

Middle infield defense should be improved.

I know they are already in the tax and still need pitching... but trading Hoskins for an upgrade in CF, then putting Marsh in LF and hiding Schwarber at 1B until Harper returns is something they ought to consider.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by Embiid P » Wed Dec 7, 2022 3:06 am

Phils just signed Taijuan Walker. Solid addition to the starting rotation. If Painter makes the jump this year, it could be one to reckon with.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#95 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Dec 9, 2022 6:40 pm

I am a big time bandwaggoner when it comes to the Phils, but it's awesome to care about baseball again. Even as a basketball fan, I think playoff baseball is the most exciting sport of the 4 imo.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by mjkvol » Fri Dec 9, 2022 7:18 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:I am a big time bandwaggoner when it comes to the Phils, but it's awesome to care about baseball again. Even as a basketball fan, I think playoff baseball is the most exciting sport of the 4 imo.

I'm the same way with the Phils. I'd find playoff baseball a lot easier to watch if the games weren't so damn long. I'm good for 2 1/2, even three hours, but these games often push four hours, with endless time between pitches. Maybe the new rule changes will make a difference, but I'm not holding my breath.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#97 » by Sixersftw » Fri Dec 9, 2022 8:29 pm

mjkvol wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:I am a big time bandwaggoner when it comes to the Phils, but it's awesome to care about baseball again. Even as a basketball fan, I think playoff baseball is the most exciting sport of the 4 imo.

I'm the same way with the Phils. I'd find playoff baseball a lot easier to watch if the games weren't so damn long. I'm good for 2 1/2, even three hours, but these games often push four hours, with endless time between pitches. Maybe the new rule changes will make a difference, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dude the new rules are going to make games fly 15 seconds per pitch, limited mound visits. No shift might mean really long rallys though. It'll be kinda crazy.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,104

Post#98 » by sixers hoops » Fri Dec 9, 2022 9:10 pm

Monix wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

it's not commitment, it's an injury

he needs TJ if he's going to play RF, hopefully has it scheduled in the coming weeks

Yeah. According to some doctors who speculate on sports injuries, there’s a really good chance he can only DH until August or September.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by mjkvol » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:05 am

Sixersftw wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Dude the new rules are going to make games fly 15 seconds per pitch, limited mound visits. No shift might mean really long rallys though. It'll be kinda crazy.

It'll be wild watching these guys make that kind of adjustment.

Funny thing is, that's the way games were played through the '80's. Guys didn't step out every pitch, and pitchers just got the sign and fired. The whole shift thing was absurd, the idea that players just won't hit the other way.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by Embiid P » Wed Oct 4, 2023 3:01 am

With not a lot to look forward to atm as far as the Sixers go, I figured I'd bump this one back up.

Phillies win their first playoff game. One down, hopefully 12 more to go.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers