ImageImageImage

PHILS

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,284

Re: PHILS 

Post#61 » by Kobblehead » Fri Nov 4, 2022 1:01 pm

Have to find a way to re-sign Segura. He's the best 2nd baseman on the market so any replacement signing is likely to be a downgrade.

Alec Bohm's lack of power hurts the lineup. He has to get stronger.

I know everyone love Bryson Stott and he is young, but he's an automatic out. If he doesn't show dramatic improvement at the plate next year, we should look to move him.

Nola and Hoskins are what they are. While they are frustrating to watch at times, they're still talented and productive. Just roll with them.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#62 » by Sixersftw » Fri Nov 4, 2022 1:19 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Have to find a way to re-sign Segura. He's the best 2nd baseman on the market so any replacement signing is likely to be a downgrade.

Eh, Trea Turner is buddy buddy with Harper and is a major upgrade. I love Jean but it has to be considered. II think Stott probably plays 2nd in that scenario.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#63 » by Kobblehead » Fri Nov 4, 2022 1:29 pm

If we signed a prized shortstop like Turner, wouldn't that cost like $30m+ per year? I'd probably rather spend that on pitching.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,104

Post#64 » by Embiid P » Fri Nov 4, 2022 1:40 pm

Another thing I will say is while I have loved what Thomson has done since he took over, I think he could do a better job with adjusting his lineups when things aren't working offensively. For instance I'd like to see Marsh moved up from the 9th spot to the 5th or 6th spot as he has done well relative to others in this series and is far more patient at the plate.

How many of us knew that whenever the Astros pitched around Harper with two outs left, Castellanos would be unable to make them pay? I understand that there is a money and political angle to keeping him in the 5th spot, but he is killing us in this series.
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#65 » by Sixersftw » Fri Nov 4, 2022 1:55 pm

Kobblehead wrote:If we signed a prized shortstop like Turner, wouldn't that cost like $30m+ per year? I'd probably rather spend that on pitching.

It would definitely be $30m+. Understandable position but the team will have like $100m to spend sans Nola's extension and arb. figures. Should have a sizeable chunk of change to fill holes.

I don't think they spend a ton on starters with Painter and Abel (and Mcgrarry to a lesser degree) waiting in the wings. Bullpen could use a tune up, per always.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Post#66 » by the_process » Fri Nov 4, 2022 1:59 pm

The Phillies need to vastly improve their defense. They have a whole bunch of butchers in the field, and I can argue it cost them two games in the WS alone so far. Also another good starter.

I'd start by overpaying Rhys slightly to avoid arbitration and then trading him.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by Embiid P » Fri Nov 4, 2022 7:10 pm

mjkvol wrote:The Phils just ran into a buzzsaw in Javier and the Houston bullpen. I wouldn't make snap judgments about the lineup based on this series, as the Astros have shut down everyone they played. The Phils have the only two wins in the post season against them.

There are guys who figure to bounce back from down seasons, like Castellanos, and some young players ready to enter their primes like Marsh, Stott, and Bohm. I'd like to see another bullpen arm added, and a legit backup catcher to give J.T. a break and make sure he's fresh late in the year. They definitely need a solid starter or two. Not sure if there are any prospects that might be due to come up soon.

This team just found itself this year, and they're a tight-knit group. I see no reason to rip the club to shreds making changes for the sake of changes.

I don't disagree that Javier and their bullpen have been amazing, but I'm also not going to pretend that our hitters (namely Hoskins, Realmuto, and Castellanos) haven't helped them out in a big way by being overly aggressive and swinging at the first two pitches and putting them in 0-2 holes which gives their pitchers a major advantage.

A big part of the problem IMO is that the Phillies lineup consists mostly of taller players over 6 feet with big strike zones as opposed to shorter players like Altuve with smaller strike zones and can thus walk more easily. It doesn't help that most of those taller hitters lack patience and try to destroy the ball rather than simply finding a good pitch to hit and putting it in play.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#68 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 5, 2022 1:11 am

the_process wrote:The Phillies need to vastly improve their defense. They have a whole bunch of butchers in the field, and I can argue it cost them two games in the WS alone so far. Also another good starter.

I'd start by overpaying Rhys slightly to avoid arbitration and then trading him.

Trade Alec Bohm for Ke'Bryan Hayes. Instantly solve your defense at third base.

Corner outfield defense can bit mitigated with Harper playing more next year and Kyle and Nick being DH more.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#69 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 5, 2022 1:38 am

Sixersftw wrote:It would definitely be $30m+. Understandable position but the team will have like $100m to spend sans Nola's extension and arb. figures. Should have a sizeable chunk of change to fill holes.

I don't think they spend a ton on starters with Painter and Abel (and Mcgrarry to a lesser degree) waiting in the wings. Bullpen could use a tune up, per always.

At 19 and 21, I just don't see Painter and Abel entering the fold for at least another 3 years. The 23 year old McGarry in interesting because he has electric stuff, but he might be better suited for a bullpen spot because he's a strikeout guy with bad ERA ala Vince Velasquez.

With Gibson coming off the books, I think it's a good time to go get a bonafide third guy to slot behind Nola and Wheeler and to push Suarez and Falter to 4 and 5.
the_process
RealGM

Post#70 » by the_process » Sat Nov 5, 2022 1:39 am

Kobblehead wrote:
the_process wrote:The Phillies need to vastly improve their defense. They have a whole bunch of butchers in the field, and I can argue it cost them two games in the WS alone so far. Also another good starter.

Trade Alec Bohm for Ke'Bryan Hayes. Instantly solve your defense at third base.

Corner outfield defense can bit mitigated with Harper playing more next year and Kyle and Nick being DH more.

Bohm has been better defensively the last couple months of the season and playoffs. I don’t consider him the problem anymore. However, even though he doesn’t hit as well I’d gladly take Hayes instead. Pittsburgh has him locked up for a long time on a team friendly deal though, and I don’t think they’d make that trade.

I consider Hoskins and Segura to both be below average fielders and I would replace both. Likely you won’t be able to deal Castellanos so he’s in LF. Harper might not be able to play RF anymore so he’s DH, get a CF, and move Marsh to RF. Try hiding Schwarber at 1B so he can officially be Dave Kingman.

Just my thoughts.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#71 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 5, 2022 1:49 am

I'd mark out so hard if we traded for Hayes. He'd be the best glove we had at third since Pedro Feliz except we'd be getting him at 25 instead of 33.
the_process
RealGM

Post#72 » by the_process » Sat Nov 5, 2022 2:12 am

Kobblehead wrote:I'd mark out so hard if we traded for Hayes. He'd be the best glove we had at third since Pedro Feliz except we'd be getting him at 25 instead of 33.

Feliz was surprisingly competent with the bat as well.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,235

Post#73 » by mjkvol » Sat Nov 5, 2022 2:19 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:It would definitely be $30m+. Understandable position but the team will have like $100m to spend sans Nola's extension and arb. figures. Should have a sizeable chunk of change to fill holes.

At 19 and 21, I just don't see Painter and Abel entering the fold for at least another 3 years. The 23 year old McGarry in interesting because he has electric stuff, but he might be better suited for a bullpen spot because he's a strikeout guy with bad ERA ala Vince Velasquez.

With Gibson coming off the books, I think it's a good time to go get a bonafide third guy to slot behind Nola and Wheeler and to push Suarez and Falter to 4 and 5.

One thing I very much hope they don't do is go 'all in' and empty the cupboard chasing players. I think Dombrowski is too smart to fleece a minor league system that is finally bearing fruit again.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#74 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 5, 2022 8:03 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

One thing I very much hope they don't do is go 'all in' and empty the cupboard chasing players. I think Dombrowski is too smart to fleece a minor league system that is finally bearing fruit again.

I'm going to float this out there. Tell me yes or no.

Painter and Abel for Dylan Cease.
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#75 » by Sixersftw » Sat Nov 5, 2022 10:07 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

I can't be trusted to make rational decisions about Painter. Cease is so good but that is a crop to give up. I say no but imma think on it.
the_process
RealGM

Post#76 » by the_process » Sun Nov 6, 2022 2:35 am

Well, looks like the Phils ran out of gas. In reality, it was an excellent run to end the year and everyone should be pleased. But it’s hard to get these chances and you have to cash them in when you get them.

Tough loss for the Union today as well.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by Embiid P » Sun Nov 6, 2022 3:41 am

the_process wrote:Well, looks like the Phils ran out of gas. In reality, it was an excellent run to end the year and everyone should be pleased. But it’s hard to get these chances and you have to cash them in when you get them.

Tough loss for the Union today as well.

I should be proud, but I be lying if I said that today wasn't a kick in the jewels as a Philly sports fan. Both the Union and Phillies had a chance to win and they blew it in typical heartbreaking Philly-fashion.

Hopefully the Eagles will come through for us again like they did in 2017-18.

The Phillies have a solid core in Harper, Wheeler, Schwarber, etc. that can keep them in contention for the next few years but they also have some dead weight that needs to be cut in order for them to get over the top. Get er done, Dave!
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by mjkvol » Sun Nov 6, 2022 1:40 pm

Embiid P wrote:I should be proud, but I be lying if I said that today wasn't a kick in the jewels as a Philly sports fan. Both the Union and Phillies had a chance to win and they blew it in typical heartbreaking Philly-fashion.

Disagree. This wasn't a case of 'blowing it', the Phils just got beat by a better team, actually a buzzsaw pitching staff. There was never a point after game 4 where this felt like the Phils would be able to take four games from Houston. They had a remarkable run and gave us some incredible moments along the way, but Houston is a juggernaut.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by mjkvol » Sun Nov 6, 2022 1:44 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

Now why do you have to go and ask questions like that lol? Although I don't know why the Sox would part with a 26 year old stud pitcher just entering his prime. That's a building block, not someone you trade for minor league players, regardless how good.
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#80 » by Sixersftw » Sun Nov 6, 2022 2:21 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Embiid P wrote:I should be proud, but I be lying if I said that today wasn't a kick in the jewels as a Philly sports fan. Both the Union and Phillies had a chance to win and they blew it in typical heartbreaking Philly-fashion.

Disagree. This wasn't a case of 'blowing it', the Phils just got beat by a better team, actually a buzzsaw pitching staff. There was never a point after game 4 where this felt like the Phils would be able to take four games from Houston. They had a remarkable run and gave us some incredible moments along the way, but Houston is a juggernaut.

Hard agree. This is the first time in my sports history where I wasn't crushed after we lost the final championship game. Also, I know Dombrowski has the pieces and funds to make a much better team next year. We might not capture the magic of this run but I low key have the same feeling I had in 2007 when we lost to the Rockies.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers