ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,227

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#381 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 3:37 pm

FireMorey wrote:I don't think Markkanen is a guy you give everything up for. He's not Luka Doncic. Giving up 5 firsts for him would be pretty crazy. I think Klay is pretty washed up too. Unfortunately, not a ton of great options. Of course the summer the Sixers have cap space is a weak free agent class with not a ton of stars available.

The idea that the roster has to be completed by September is short sighted IMO. I think there will be more options available come summer than are evident right now, but between now and the trade deadline there will certainly be better options than the ones we see at the moment. Acting impulsively and overpaying is never a good idea, be it in the stock market or in team building.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,734

Post#382 » by FireMorey » Sat May 4, 2024 3:41 pm

mjkvol wrote:
FireMorey wrote:I don't think Markkanen is a guy you give everything up for. He's not Luka Doncic. Giving up 5 firsts for him would be pretty crazy. I think Klay is pretty washed up too. Unfortunately, not a ton of great options. Of course the summer the Sixers have cap space is a weak free agent class with not a ton of stars available.

The idea that the roster has to be completed by September is short sighted IMO. I think there will be more options available come summer than are evident right now, but between now and the trade deadline there will certainly be better options than the ones we see at the moment. Acting impulsively and overpaying is never a good idea, be it in the stock market or in team building.

Very risky to do though. Say they do kind of hold serve and hold out for the deadline and then no one becomes available. You essentially wasted another year of Embiid's prime. Who knows how many he has left. And if that happens, he might finally ask for a trade. I think he's under the impression they will be going all in this summer.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,372

Post#383 » by Arsenal » Sat May 4, 2024 3:44 pm

I wonder how much to steal Kevin Love as our backup center. $5m per? He’s only getting vet min $3.9m from Miami currently.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#384 » by Arsenal » Sat May 4, 2024 3:46 pm

I circle back to Dejounte Murray. Getting him for a couple 1sts may be a good option. He fits better with Maxey than Trae and can run the offense when Jo sits.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,082

Post#385 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 4, 2024 3:57 pm

mjkvol wrote:

Issue is with the way adding players works in the NBA it just becomes structurally harder to make a big move after Maxey signs his contract. If you want to trade for someone you either need the cap space to take in the contract or matching salaries. Maxey’s contract would nuke the space and unless you just bring back people from this years team on bigger numbers than people are probably comfortable with you don’t have the matching salary. And really even trying to plan for signing guys just to trade them rarely works out well, ask the Lakers this year.

I don’t think the team needs to be *finished* by September but I would be very surprised if they didn’t make a huge move or two before Maxey can officially sign on July 5 or whatever it is.

And it’s probably going to be a trade. The good news is there’s lots of teams that probably want to save money/open flexibility with the new CBA rules so hopefully the cost is less than some might think.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,618

Post#386 » by youngcrev » Sat May 4, 2024 4:04 pm

mjkvol wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:End of the game and the Clippers are out...

Paul George's line. 6 for 18, 33.3FG, 2 for 10 from 3, 20%, 11 rebs, 5 assists, 2 stocks, 18 points, -19

Good lord, please don't get him. This team is toast if we blow our wad on him.

Yay he shoots threes and boards. Don't tell me that's why we're getting him. You can get the same thing with Trey Murphy for not even a quarter of the cost.

Except you can't get Trey Murphy. He's not available. And he won't be getting paid a quarter of what Paul George gets when he signs his next deal.

PG wouldn't be coming here to be the alpha dog. He's a star impact player with a game that fits like a glove as the third piece with Maxey/Embiid. When they are on the floor he provides secondary creation, elite volume shooting with ability to attack a closeout, all while being able to defend the opposing team's best player. When they are off he has the ability to scale up usage and carry an offense for stretches.

I get him not being the preferred target due to age/injury, which are obvious concerns. I don't get being staunchly against it, particularly in favor of spreading that money between a few 5th-7th men level players.

We're bugging because he's had bad shooting games as the top guy in the playoffs? Tyrese just had the same shooting line in game 6. Are Bruce Brown and Jonas Valanciunas carrying the offense when Embiid and Maxey are off the floor?

You're framing your argument with the idea that it's either George or a collection of role players who we know are available at this moment. Given those parameters, the idea of signing him might seem a lot more attractive, but the game doesn't begin in earnest for another couple of months, and might extend to next season's deadline.

Instead of shooting your wad right out of the gate by buying high on a fading stock, it might be a whole lot smarter to wait for opportunities as teams look to shed payroll, which is certainly going to happen with the new cap rules in effect. At the same time, look for undervalued players needing a fresh start and begin to fill the roster with role players who fit needs here.

The 'big fish' difference maker might not become available immediately, but keeping his powder dry is likely to be the smartest thing Morey can do in rebuilding this roster.

I'm framing my argument specifically around what was being argued for
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#387 » by FireMorey » Sat May 4, 2024 4:14 pm

Some potential trade candidates. Not factoring in fit.

Likely available:

Dejounte Murray
Trae Young
Tyler Herro
Brandon Ingram
Andrew Wiggins

Somewhat likely:

Jimmy Butler
Lauri Markkanen

Less likely:

Kevin Durant
DeAaron Fox
Mikhail Bridges
Donovan Mitchell
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,157

Post#388 » by Negrodamus » Sat May 4, 2024 4:41 pm

Im wondering if Morey wants to just do PG and Miles Bridges, then fill out the roster with vet min and draft picks.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,618

Post#389 » by youngcrev » Sat May 4, 2024 4:48 pm

sixers hoops wrote:I think he will be a great addition for a third option, but I hate offering 4 years, $212 million for it. It seems akin to buying a first class suite on the titanic.

Of most of the realistic options, I might rather part with picks to go another direction.

Mikal would very likely cost four firsts, as Brooklyn easy shot down less from Houston. However, he would come with two years at $23 and $25 million.

Lauri would almost certainly cost five firsts, and he comes at one year, $18 million.

Ingram comes at one year, $36 million. I assume a couple of picks to get him. I really haven’t heard much regarding his price.

Jimmy Butler would require picks and we would have to agree to extend his contract into a 3 year, $161.7 million deal. Even without giving up assets in a trade, he is 35 and often injured, so I can’t be in on Butler.

Siakim and OG had teams invest in trading for them. I’m sure they will get the most lucrative offers from those teams and won’t be available to us.

Ultimately, Fultz, Simmons, and Tobias drained this team of so many resources, and our returns on first round picks like Melton, Thybulle, and Springer leave us short on in-house talent. With Harden, we broke even on picks and we’re able to dump Simmons. Ultimately, this team has put itself in a position where they will likely have to overpay to put a team around Embiid and Maxey.

Do you overpay on the contract? Or make a bad trade to get a guy in a good deal and utilize cap space to build?

If we went with Mikal or Lauri, we are giving 4 or 5 firsts to essentially buy $40 million in cap space to build around them. With George or Ingram, you are using most of your cap space, but still have your picks. I would need to see what the cap space actually turns into. Oubre, Hield, Batum, and Lowry I would like to keep around, but would there be a more significant starter added to the mix?

George on a two year deal would be much better to reduce risk, but prob not realistic.

I'm all for getting a stud third guy that's in their prime like Bridges or Lauri, even if the price is high. I just don't know that we have the assets that either of those teams would want in return, particularly when the market for both would be so wide. What are the odds we'd be the high bidder with just picks to put on the table?

I think Ingram goes for more than what you're thinking too, and that likely would need to come via 3 way since we don't have what they'd want directly. I also think Ingram is a worse option than George all things considered, but still a decent level outcome.

Jimmy feels more like posturing to get his money, but it's interesting that his name is out there. Clearly he's a major difference maker come playoff time, though you'd have to have similar concerns in terms of age/injury/contract length.

Regardless, I completely get people that would prefer other possible options than George, and understand the concerns about him... I just don't get the completely being against it. Of the possible, realistic outcomes of this summer, signing George is certainly among some of the best case scenarios. You'd still have some room to add/resign 2 or 3 other guys, as well as all your picks for future flexibility.

All these moves come with risk. I'm not sure how to weigh the risk of George ending up having an albatross deal down the line vs leveraging every future asset you have available to add a guy thats likely to continue to produce at a high level.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#390 » by FireMorey » Sat May 4, 2024 5:11 pm

Not sure how much Miami would even get in a trade for Butler. I don't think his value is exactly high right now.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#391 » by stormi » Sat May 4, 2024 5:19 pm

I'm going to be honest, I'm not seeing a more feasible option in creating a winner in the next two years than signing Paul George (or Lebron James) this summer.

With the ability of then having cap space/exceptions/picks to fill roster - it seems like the path to having a 6-8 man strong lineup with multiple scoring options, size and defensive versatility.

Trading a pick haul for Butler (or Markkanen) would leave us in middling nomansland of being asset and cap space depleted for the duration of Embiid's tenure while only being 3 men deep.

Suns east vibes.

The sign a mega free agent (George/James/Siakam) and retain draft capital feels the only way to step out of the corner we've backed ourselves into.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#392 » by sixers4real » Sat May 4, 2024 5:19 pm

It’s just a matter of time stars become available.
Always.

Morey is full aware of that. I sure his plan is no just go all in on PG. it’s Elon Brand way of thinking.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,227

Post#393 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 5:20 pm

FireMorey wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Very risky to do though. Say they do kind of hold serve and hold out for the deadline and then no one becomes available. You essentially wasted another year of Embiid's prime. Who knows how many he has left. And if that happens, he might finally ask for a trade. I think he's under the impression they will be going all in this summer.

No doubt, but risk comes with any move made in the spot we are in. I would take my chances with waiting rather than flushing $200 mil+ on another aging player who can't stay healthy or overpaying for a borderline all-star, although given those choices I'd grudgingly go for the Lauri deal. A lot depends on how patient ownership will be, but the fact that they re-upped Morey indicates they are putting this in his hands.

Also, isn't it about time we retire the years-old refrain about needing to tailor all our activity around the vague notion of 'Embiid's prime'? At this point, Maxey is 1A to Embiid's 1, and maximizing what are going to be his prime years needs to be of equal priority. Similar to David Robinson and then Tim Duncan, as they aged they were still integral parts of championship teams even if they weren't necessarily the "#1 star". Maybe instead of this arbitrary 'ranking' of stars, we build a deep, flexible group that can win in any number of ways.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#394 » by sixers4real » Sat May 4, 2024 5:26 pm

sixers4real wrote:

Always.

Morey is full aware of that. I sure his plan is no just go all in on PG. it’s Elon Brand way of thinking.

But as soon as Morey sign PG, id welcome him, lol
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#395 » by FireMorey » Sat May 4, 2024 5:31 pm

stormi wrote:I'm going to be honest, I'm not seeing a more feasible option in creating a winner in the next two years than signing Paul George (or Lebron James) this summer.

With the ability of then having cap space/exceptions/picks to fill roster - it seems like the path to having a 6-8 man strong lineup with multiple scoring options, size and defensive versatility.

Trading a pick haul for Butler (or Markkanen) would leave us in middling nomansland of being asset and cap space depleted for the duration of Embiid's tenure while only being 3 men deep.

Suns east vibes.

The sign a mega free agent (George/James/Siakam) and retain draft capital feels the only way to step out of the corner we've backed ourselves into.

I think Butler would be a good addition, but I do not think trading a haul of picks for him would be wise. I'm not sure they'd have to. Maybe they would and Miami simply doesn't want to get rid of him, who knows. Remember, the Sixers didn't trade him for very much when he was 5 years younger. I really don't know what his value is right now. Depends on how much the situation sours there and how motivated Miami is getting under the apron.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#396 » by Arsenal » Sat May 4, 2024 5:52 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Im wondering if Morey wants to just do PG and Miles Bridges, then fill out the roster with vet min and draft picks.

We don’t have anywhere near enough cap for both. It’s one or the other.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,104

Post#397 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 5:53 pm

youngcrev wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:I think he will be a great addition for a third option, but I hate offering 4 years, $212 million for it. It seems akin to buying a first class suite on the titanic.

Of most of the realistic options, I might rather part with picks to go another direction.

Mikal would very likely cost four firsts, as Brooklyn easy shot down less from Houston. However, he would come with two years at $23 and $25 million.

Lauri would almost certainly cost five firsts, and he comes at one year, $18 million.

Ingram comes at one year, $36 million. I assume a couple of picks to get him. I really haven’t heard much regarding his price.

Jimmy Butler would require picks and we would have to agree to extend his contract into a 3 year, $161.7 million deal. Even without giving up assets in a trade, he is 35 and often injured, so I can’t be in on Butler.

Siakim and OG had teams invest in trading for them. I’m sure they will get the most lucrative offers from those teams and won’t be available to us.

Ultimately, Fultz, Simmons, and Tobias drained this team of so many resources, and our returns on first round picks like Melton, Thybulle, and Springer leave us short on in-house talent. With Harden, we broke even on picks and we’re able to dump Simmons. Ultimately, this team has put itself in a position where they will likely have to overpay to put a team around Embiid and Maxey.

Do you overpay on the contract? Or make a bad trade to get a guy in a good deal and utilize cap space to build?

If we went with Mikal or Lauri, we are giving 4 or 5 firsts to essentially buy $40 million in cap space to build around them. With George or Ingram, you are using most of your cap space, but still have your picks. I would need to see what the cap space actually turns into. Oubre, Hield, Batum, and Lowry I would like to keep around, but would there be a more significant starter added to the mix?

George on a two year deal would be much better to reduce risk, but prob not realistic.

I'm all for getting a stud third guy that's in their prime like Bridges or Lauri, even if the price is high. I just don't know that we have the assets that either of those teams would want in return, particularly when the market for both would be so wide. What are the odds we'd be the high bidder with just picks to put on the table?

I think Ingram goes for more than what you're thinking too, and that likely would need to come via 3 way since we don't have what they'd want directly. I also think Ingram is a worse option than George all things considered, but still a decent level outcome.

Jimmy feels more like posturing to get his money, but it's interesting that his name is out there. Clearly he's a major difference maker come playoff time, though you'd have to have similar concerns in terms of age/injury/contract length.

Regardless, I completely get people that would prefer other possible options than George, and understand the concerns about him... I just don't get the completely being against it. Of the possible, realistic outcomes of this summer, signing George is certainly among some of the best case scenarios. You'd still have some room to add/resign 2 or 3 other guys, as well as all your picks for future flexibility.

All these moves come with risk. I'm not sure how to weigh the risk of George ending up having an albatross deal down the line vs leveraging every future asset you have available to add a guy thats likely to continue to produce at a high level.

I feel like George is clearly on the decline. And looking at similar comps, a lot of guys really fall off.

Paul Pierce was an all-star at 34. Ages 36 and 37 he averaged 13.5 and 12 points.

Dwayne Wade was an all-star at 34. Age 36 and 37 he averaged 11.5 and 15.

Durant looks good at 35. Lebron isn’t comparable to anybody.

Joe Johnson was averaging 12 points by age 34.

Dirk was still an all-star at 36 and played really well through his 37th year.

Kobe only played 6 games in age 35 season. He was averaging 22 and 17.5 his final seasons of 36 and 37.

Carmelo really started to tail-off at 32. Harden has really declined since 31 or so. McGrady is prob a bad comp due to significance of his injuries.

Most of these guys you wouldn’t want to pay massive contracts at age 35-37. Especially if you are only getting them for those seasons. We would be the Nets taking Pierce. The Bulls taking Wade.

The good organizations like Miami and Boston keep those guys for their primes, then let the bad organizations like the Nets and Bulls desperately overpay for their declining years, in hopes that they don’t decline.

The Celtics just signed Jrue through age 37, which I was surprised by, but they have a legitimate shot at a title so it is worth it.

Paul George has had a great career, but I don’t know if I want to be the fool who overpays him once he isn’t good enough for the good organizations to pay him. He wants to play in LA, but if those teams won’t give him a max contract, then he will reluctantly come here to get overpaid for his twilight years.

Is he still good enough today to make a significant impact for us next season? I definitely think so. He is still playing at a borderline all-star level. Just looking at how many NBA players age, my guess is we get one really good season out of him, then he plays an increasingly smaller role. His last two seasons are essentially bench quality where he doesn’t even finish games.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#398 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 5:56 pm

sixers4real wrote:
sixers4real wrote:

Always.

But as soon as Morey sign PG, id welcome him, lol

I would be excited, because we would be way better next season. Once we sign him, I would just ignore the obvious risks until they show up.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#399 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 5:57 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Im wondering if Morey wants to just do PG and Miles Bridges, then fill out the roster with vet min and draft picks.

What are you projecting for Miles? I assumed he was still a guy most of the league would avoid.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,157

Post#400 » by Negrodamus » Sat May 4, 2024 6:07 pm

Arsenal wrote:

I think PG sucking in the playoffs and Bridges having his obvious issues, both will come in cheaper than expected. Also the list of teams competing for PG will be like 3-4 teams because he wants to win one.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers