ImageImageImage

Game 2: Sixers @ Raptors 10/28 @ 7:30 pm ET Nurse's Return to the North Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,678

Re: Game 2: Sixers @ Raptors 10/28 @ 7:30 pm ET Nurse's Return to the North Thread 

Post#221 » by Jailblazers7 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:37 am

Mik317 wrote:don't like role players talking ****....especially early in the season.

He’s not even a role player at this point, it feels like he’s just doing performance art.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,235

Re: Game 2: Sixers @ Raptors 10/28 @ 7:30 pm ET Nurse's Return to the North Thread 

Post#222 » by mjkvol » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:49 am

I don't know how good this team will be, but they're already a hell of a lot more fun to watch than the stale mess we so often had the last few years. And Tyrese Maxey is an absolute stud. It's still stunning how many on here wanted to move him.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,883

Post#223 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:01 am

Bulls is about to explode. They lose to the Pistons with just spending the entire game feeding the ball to Lavine and everyone was playing weird.

Feels like Lavine and/or Derozan, wants to play a “duo-centric” game while the rest of the guys (Coby, Pat and Vuc) wouldnt want to work hard on both ends if they’re not getting their shots.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Haset603
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#224 » by Haset603 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:05 am

Skates wrote:This team would look amazing offensively with a big guard who can play on and off the ball with Maxey and Embiid, Melton fitting in on the bench. They look awkward from the lack of ball handlers in the backcourt, which is probably holding Springer back too.

I love Melton, but he is going to get paid this offseason and Springer can very much be a Melton replacement if we ever more Melton for value.

Mann might be a big help in that regard.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#225 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:28 am

Help is on the way once we trade Harden. Good win tonight, I hate I missed it, but holy crap! Maxey and Embiid are a sick duo!
It's hard to say how many games we win this year, but the more Maxey and Embiid play together, the better they're going to get. This is an organic, home grown pairing that we are watching.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#226 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:33 am

Kobblehead wrote:What to make of Gradey Dick?

Seems like he lacks playmaking and shotmaking off the bounce. And can probably be torched defensively.

A big SG (he’s bigger than Tobias at 6’8”) on defense where he plays a lot of spot ups and cutting.

Just kind of amusing how he feels more like 6’5” than 6’8” on this game.

The game seems to be too fast for him right now.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Post#227 » by Negrodamus » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:23 am

;pp=ygUMdHlyZXNlIG1heGV5

Maxey made some very tough shots tonight. If that’s legitimate and something he’ll do nightly, then he’s an all-NBA player and I’ll happily start eating crow regarding my early evaluations of him all the way up to last year where I thought he’d be a nice combo guard but not much else.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#228 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:53 am

Negrodamus wrote:;pp=ygUMdHlyZXNlIG1heGV5

Maxey made some very tough shots tonight. If that’s legitimate and something he’ll do nightly, then he’s an all-NBA player and I’ll happily start eating crow regarding my early evaluations of him all the way up to last year where I thought he’d be a nice combo guard but not much else.

Not talked about in NBA game is the importance of the long 3. It frees up for guys like Maxey for easy drives to the basket with the defender needing to step way above the 3 point line (schroeder was defending him full court), and the combination of speed and not being able to handcheck.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,994

Post#229 » by cool93 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:24 am

Arsenal wrote:Barneys viciously turning on Siakam. The dream would be to get him in the Harden trade, either directly or in a menage a trois.
Beverley would be cut in nanosecond if that was the only problem with Siakam trade lol

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
Kova
Veteran
And1: 728

Post#230 » by Kova » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:26 am

I've already seen enough to state the following - Embiid is wrong. We are not a better team with Harden. We're a better team without him. Here's why:

- Maxey and Embiid will develop efficient P&R, they're already showing signs of it. What's better about Maxey running it, is that if the defense closes out the pass to Embiid, Maxey can run by his man for a layup. Harden has lost this ability.
- Maxey is already a better and more efficient 3pt shooter
- Maxey will never disappear in games. His demeanor and energy just won't allow it. Harden would have nights where he doesn't show up
- This team is so fun to watch already. Reminds of that 2017-2018 team that won last 16 games in a regular season and ended 3rd in the standings. I think this team is even better because it has more experience
- Nurse will increase the value of Oubre, Melton, Reed, heck even Harris. Maxey is given.

Oubre is a great pickup for this team. It's not about his 3pt shooting, it's about his ability to find spots on the floor where he can be efficient and score easily. He has the right attitude.

The team has bought into Nick's system. I'm happy to see Harden go and be excited for what this team is now.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,205

Post#231 » by M2J » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:56 am

Ummm... Keep this up and Oubre will be getting some of that cap space next year. Like I said after the bucks game... His 3pters were not what excited me about him and he can have this type of game all the time.

You know, if Oubre keeps it up...Norman Powell ain't looking too bad. Just saying.

Maxey playing as we expected. So good. Harden can't come mess this up. Harden needs to be the secondary ball handler and backup point and space the floor. Maxey being a real threat to get to the rim and actually finish means all the difference in the world off of a pick and roll. That floater game is vicious. In the 2nd quarter at about 8 minutes to go... That kinda shot is what you close games with. Dame hit it the other day to help close.

That was actually one of the more enjoyable Embiid games in a long time
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,104

Post#232 » by Embiid P » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:34 am

Kova wrote:I've already seen enough to state the following - Embiid is wrong. We are not a better team with Harden. We're a better team without him. Here's why:

- Maxey and Embiid will develop efficient P&R, they're already showing signs of it. What's better about Maxey running it, is that if the defense closes out the pass to Embiid, Maxey can run by his man for a layup. Harden has lost this ability.
- Maxey is already a better and more efficient 3pt shooter
- Maxey will never disappear in games. His demeanor and energy just won't allow it. Harden would have nights where he doesn't show up
- This team is so fun to watch already. Reminds of that 2017-2018 team that won last 16 games in a regular season and ended 3rd in the standings. I think this team is even better because it has more experience
- Nurse will increase the value of Oubre, Melton, Reed, heck even Harris. Maxey is given.

Oubre is a great pickup for this team. It's not about his 3pt shooting, it's about his ability to find spots on the floor where he can be efficient and score easily. He has the right attitude.

The team has bought into Nick's system. I'm happy to see Harden go and be excited for what this team is now.

Agreed. I know it's only been 2 games and I'm not sure it's sustainable over an 82 game season and playoffs, but I can tell that the team is trying its hardest to block out all of the Harden drama and has fully bought into Nurse's system. Both Embiid and Tyrese improving their passing game is HUGE and makes Harden largely unnecessary assuming he will play for us until traded.

Oubre is likely the best scoring player we've had coming off the bench in years which is big when Embiid and Maxey are both sitting. Beverley although long in the tooth provides this team with more toughness and swagger. And Springer, when he plays, has shown flashes of becoming an elite defender in the NBA.

The truly crazy part is, we aren't even a finished product yet with the Harden trade still pending along with the possibility of moving Tobias and Tucker before the deadline for better fitting pieces (i.e. bigger guards and younger more athletic wings). If Morey plays his cards right, we'll be right up there with the likes of the Celtics, Bucks, Heat, Nuggets, etc. when all is said and done.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#233 » by sodmoraes » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:53 pm

76ciology wrote:

Not talked about in NBA game is the importance of the long 3. It frees up for guys like Maxey for easy drives to the basket with the defender needing to step way above the 3 point line (schroeder was defending him full court), and the combination of speed and not being able to handcheck.

Is this video from NBA site? It seems to have all Maxey´s touches in the game. Where can i find this in the nba page?
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,050

Post#234 » by Stanford » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:00 pm

sodmoraes wrote:Is this video from NBA site? It seems to have all Maxey´s touches in the game. Where can i find this in the nba page?

https://www.nba.com/stats/help/videostatus

Just go to the boxscore of the game you want to see and click whichever stat you want to want to see video of.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#235 » by sodmoraes » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:09 pm

Stanford wrote:
sodmoraes wrote:Is this video from NBA site? It seems to have all Maxey´s touches in the game. Where can i find this in the nba page?

Just go to the boxscore of the game you want to see and click whichever stat you want to want to see video of.

Thanks!
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach

Post#236 » by Jailblazers7 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:34 pm

Watching the replay the morning and one thing I noticed is that Maxey is also doing some understated PG stuff. Through 2 games, he seems to be focused on getting Tobi & Embiid involved offensively early on & doesn't look for his own scoring until his next lineup rotation in the second quarter.

Could just be game flow & a small sample, but he’s doing the small things well in addition to his big box score numbers.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,040

Post#237 » by HotelVitale » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:35 pm

NYSixersFan wrote:It's too bad Morey is going to waste this season for "cap space". If you help Embiid and Maxey, this team could do something this year.

What would not 'wasting' it look like for you? Something like getting Norm Powell for Harden?
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach

Post#238 » by Jailblazers7 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:36 pm

Stanford wrote:

Wow, that’s kind of amazing. Gotta give the NBA credit, their digital content is very good.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach

Post#239 » by Jailblazers7 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:46 pm

I will never forget the pushback I got last year for suggesting Maxey could reach the same level as Jamal Murray.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,711

Post#240 » by eyeatoma » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:50 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:

I will never forget the pushback I got last year for suggesting Maxey could reach the same level as Jamal Murray.

I think he's better than Murray. Murray is great in the playoffs, but kind of mid in the regular season. Maxey has already shown some panache in the playoffs, I'm confident that will come.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers