ImageImageImage

Larry Brown: "I don't want to coach here"

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#21 » by SendEm » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:14 pm

I don't want Larry Brown here no more than I want Lenny Wilkens. Lenny Wilkens is available...
dond
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#22 » by dond » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm

I like Mo Cheeks and I think Stefanski does too. Mo Cheeks may be here for awhile.
If you cannot convince others that you are right, you probably aren't.
trexxx
Sophomore

Post#23 » by trexxx » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:19 pm

SendEm wrote:Mike Dunleavy has taken the Clippers to the playoffs also. In the words of Denny Green "CROWN EM!"

Btw Donald Sterling isn't so happy with Dunleavy's performance this season check the articles.

Are you trivializing the level of difficulty involved in taking the Clippers to the playoffs?

...and then vaguely backing it up by refrencing Sterlings inexplicable critisism of Dunleavy this week?

Dude, you don't like certain players/coaches on a level that is seemingly primarily personal. That's cool - me too. But don't front like you're dropping logic and/or knowlege. Subjectivity isn't a crime, and when properly qualified can be fun and still insightful, but it's gratting when delivered under the guise of pragmatism.

Larry Brown's teams have made the playoffs 17 out of the 22 seasons he's been in the league. The man can coach. The man is also a vagabond, immature, not particularly loyal, etc. He is what he is. He's not some "mastermind" that when he leaves a job his owner always finds a post-it on his desk early the next day that says,

"You've been had. -LB"

It's not that complciated. He's a guy who is exceptional at what he does but isn't an exceptional guy. Maybe for those reasons you don't want him coaching your team - cool. But don't downplay his coaching ability.

-tony
“I couldn’t imagine not having a guitar solo; that’s just what happens after the second chorus.” -Rivers Cuomo
76erinSJ
Senior

Post#24 » by 76erinSJ » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:32 pm

If you think Bryon Scott is a better coach then Larry Brown you dont know anything about basketball. LB did that once with the Pistons setting himself up in a place he knew he could win. Every other team was a bottom dweller that he turn around. Learn about stuff before you open your mouth. I swear you say stuff that you know is incorrect just so we will comment back to you.
Andre Miller is a bad 3pt shooter.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#25 » by SendEm » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:38 pm

I can understand if individuals aren't willing to think outside of the box as basketball FANS. But it is a lazy way of doing business for NBA EXECUTIVES to continually retread the same staff with non gleaming track records. I personally would rehire Phil Jackson and Greg Pop even if I had to roll them out in a wheel chair. But Larry Brown? No!
Lenny Wilkens? NO!

It sometimes takes sharper minds and adventurous risk takers like Mark Cuban to hire a young coach like Avery Johnson. Snyder and Billy King were both not sharp minded basketball people, so I am not surprised that Larry Brown was brought back around the organization to hang out and collect a check. But a lot will be said about Ed Stephanski if LB walks away from this franchise and we hire someone young and fresh like Byron Scott, Avery Johnson, Reggie Theus, Marc Iavaroni, and Sam Mitchell. Bring in the new blood we already know that Larry Brown can't win a championship unless a GM hands him the keys to a PERFECTLY assembled team for his system.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#26 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:41 pm

SendEm has his views and I respect that.... but I'm not going to debate LB's coaching ability when Byron Scott is named as a better coach.

As for this article that is mentioned... it turns out to be Anthony Gargano (WIP) who wrote the column. He didn't know that parts of it were leaked and found out on the air today. He was shocked at the way this is being played up and said that he believes Brown is telling the truth about Dolan hiring spies to watch Brown.

Things are bad here in Philly... but New York is a straight up disaster with no light in sight.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#27 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Byron Scott as a better coach than LB?

:nonono:

I'm glad to see that people who don't want LB back are able to suggest such accomplished people as Byron Scott. Please. And even IF we would consider the laughable (and completely unsubstantiated) thought that Scott is a better coach than LB, I believe that he currently has a job.

Again - if you do not want LB as coach, that's fine. Come up with a better option (an option that is available...heck, I'd like to have Gregg Popovich - is he available?), and support your choice with things like facts and history.

Thanks.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#28 » by SendEm » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:12 pm

The moral of the story was not to retread the same coaches over and over again. Larry Brown was a retread a million times before he FINALLY won an NBA championship. All the while NBA coaches were winning championships who began coaching in the NBA after Larry. LOL.

STOP THE RETREADS IN 2008!
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:21 pm

I've defended Brown a lot in this thread but I'm an iron man and can play both sides of the arguement.

One reason I do not have an interest in Brown is age and health. He's 67 years old and has had health concerns that have caused him to miss games. I'm not sure that a franchise that is as far away from contending as we are is a good place for a man who may have to step down due to age and not job performance.

SendEm... I'm sort of with you on the restreads but does this mean that you're against names like Van Gundy, Carlisle, and Calipari? I am.

Anyone like Jay Wright a little bit??
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#30 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:27 pm

TGP:

My thought about LB is to have him here for 2-3 years...have him teach the young guys, and then turn the reins over to a coach-in-training...just like the Mavs did with Don Nelson and Avery Johnson.

Eric Snow has one more year on his contract after this one...yes?

;-)

I like Jay Wright...I would think that he would have the potential to make the jump...it's just a lot harder (IMO) to project whether a college coach (one with ZERO experience with the pro game) can make that transition. Many have tried...and many have failed.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:32 pm

I need help with a question...

Who was the last coach with no previous NBA coaching experience to make a successful jump from college to the pros??? I can't think of any.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#32 » by The Sixer Fixer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:08 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:I need help with a question...

Who was the last coach with no previous NBA coaching experience to make a successful jump from college to the pros??? I can't think of any.

How do you define successful? I know people won't classify him as successful yet, but I think Reggie Theus has a shot to do really good things with that Sacramento team (especially with Bibby, Martin and Artest finally healthy). If I were them, I wouldn't be in a rush to trade Bibby and Artest. I would hold onto them right up to the deadline to see if they can make a playoff push with the full roster healthy. They have a very good core of players there and may have one of the the deepest benchs in the league right now.
76erinSJ
Senior

Post#33 » by 76erinSJ » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:45 pm

Lol by your way of thinking Sendem that means you dont think Dean Smith is one of the greatest coaches of all time because he just recently won his first Chip. Just because other coaches won Chips before LB did doesnt mean they were better coaches. It happens all the time in all sports. Someone has to win a chip every year. Your argument makes no sense. Sloan has never won one, does that mean he is a bad coach? If Bill Cowher didnt win in Pitts his final year does that mean he isnt a great coach. Your thought process amazes me and not in a good way. Like I said before you are not a true 76ers fan. You were an Allen Iverson fan. You admitted to it your self in a prior post. Go to the Nuggets board and pick a player on that team to bash for reasons you only know why.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers