ImageImageImage

Welcome Ben Simmons?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,712

Re: Welcome Ben Simmons? 

Post#21 » by rzzzzz » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:58 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Ben needs the ball taken out of his hands. He’s a bad point guard who had the entire offense curtailed to his flawed style. He’s a role player (then again, half the board wants role players for Harden)

I always thought he should use rookie Magic Johnson as a role model. The most hopeful I was about him was that brief period during the bubble when he explored working the front line of the offense, just before he hurt his back the first time. He’s still shooting with the wrong hand, and has yet to prove he won’t go deer in the headlights facing playoff defense. But these past two years must have softened up his stubbornness, and Nick is hardly likely to cater to his delicate sensibilities. Yeah, I know it ain’t gonna happen, except that it is such an intriguing notion. And, no, stranger things have not happened. This would be historic.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Post#22 » by Negrodamus » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:08 pm

I don't know why we'd do something like this instead of DeMar DeRozan (unless he's truly not available). Harden fits well with LaVine and would probably turn him into a 30ppg scorer. Works for both teams and we maintain the expiring contract flexibility. Ben is being paid an assload to be Matisse Thybulle with the delusion of being a point guard.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,235

Post#23 » by mjkvol » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:27 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I don't know why we'd do something like this instead of DeMar DeRozan (unless he's truly not available). Harden fits well with LaVine and would probably turn him into a 30ppg scorer. Works for both teams and we maintain the expiring contract flexibility. Ben is being paid an assload to be Matisse Thybulle with the delusion of being a point guard.

This is my thinking as well. DeRozan makes more sense than any of the options I've heard this offseason, and he's a guy I wouldn't have a problem resigning at the right number next summer.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,673

Post#24 » by Jailblazers7 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:48 pm

I’d take Ben Simmons on his next contract as BBall Paul’s backup.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,496

Post#25 » by Eyeamok » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:20 pm

So I opened my fridge yesterday to get some milk...yuck it was spoiled. Put the milk back in the fridge. Opened the fridge this morning to drink some milk and holly chit it was still spoiled. What gives here !

Have we not forgotten how every summer this guy would show videos of himself working out like a monster only to come back as the same player he was when the season ended some seasons even worse?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,870

Post#26 » by Phila Tough » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:13 pm

Damn. We're down bad :lol:
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#27 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:26 pm

Ben was Embiids best teammate and harden was no better than Ben here. We literally had the same results. This team lacks rebounding and playmaking and Ben provides that plus athleticism and defense.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#28 » by Negrodamus » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:33 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Ben was Embiids best teammate and harden was no better than Ben here. We literally had the same results. This team lacks rebounding and playmaking and Ben provides that plus athleticism and defense.

Everything about this post is 100% fictional unless you mean "same results" as losing in the second round. Ben wasted years of Embiid; whether he was on the court or pouting at home.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#29 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:39 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Ben was Embiids best teammate and harden was no better than Ben here. We literally had the same results. This team lacks rebounding and playmaking and Ben provides that plus athleticism and defense.

Everything about this post is 100% fictional unless you mean "same results" as losing in the second round. Ben wasted years of Embiid; whether he was on the court or pouting at home.

That's a made up story saying he wasted Embiid. Embiid can't make it out 2nd round with or without him.... Saying it's 100 percent fictional is absurb and extremely arrogant to say.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#30 » by Negrodamus » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:42 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

That's a made up story saying he wasted Embiid. Embiid can't make it out 2nd round with or without him.... Saying it's 100 percent fictional is absurb and extremely arrogant to say.

Well, I'm famously arrogant, so the shoe fits.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,612

Post#31 » by NYSixersFan » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:05 pm

It would be very Sixers for Simmons to come back. Clown show organization. Cue the Benny Hill music....
MoeGreene
Junior
And1: 137

Post#32 » by MoeGreene » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:07 pm

If he plays cut and dunk PF now and not PG. Maybe.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,560

Post#33 » by zimpy27 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:29 pm

Dig up Zhaire Smith and maybe you could trade Zhaire+Harden for Simmons+Mikal
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by rzzzzz » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:41 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Dig up Zhaire Smith and maybe you could trade Zhaire+Harden for Simmons+Mikal

It’s not fair, but besides driving Jimmy out, I blame Brett for not demanding Simmons to develop properly prior to anointing him point guard, trading Mikal for Zhaire of course, and even for not keeping better tabs on Fultz prior to training camp. (I can’t blame him for the sesame oil used for the lunch that sent Smith to the ICU. Despite all his hops and that one crazy SL game he scored at will when they set him lose, I got to admit that this year’s SL return for one decent game doesn’t hold much promise.)
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,560

Post#35 » by zimpy27 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:28 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Dig up Zhaire Smith and maybe you could trade Zhaire+Harden for Simmons+Mikal

It’s not fair, but besides driving Jimmy out, I blame Brett for not demanding Simmons to develop properly prior to anointing him point guard, trading Mikal for Zhaire of course, and even for not keeping better tabs on Fultz prior to training camp. (I can’t blame him for the sesame oil used for the lunch that sent Smith to the ICU. Despite all his hops and that one crazy SL game he scored at will when they set him lose, I got to admit that this year’s SL return for one decent game doesn’t hold much promise.)

Putting Ben on the ball as PG was the right move. Much like Draymond was put on ball to justify his role on offense so you can have his impact on defense.

20-21 was a well constructed starting team around Ben/Embiid with Curry, Green, Harris...
Problem was the bench absolutely sucked. But that starting unit had championship potential even though everyone blamed Simmons for the series loss to Hawks. If Philly had the next year's bench that year then they could have a ring right now.

18-19 with Butler was a bad fit with Simmons. If Butler were Lillard then it would have been perfect since on/off ball shooter at PG is ideal. Butler is just a better player to be on ball than Simmons and so it made sense to have him play there instead of Simmons. Still even with the awkward fit, one buzzer beater was the difference.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,843

Post#36 » by LordCovington33 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:51 pm

There are actually people entertaining the idea of bringing him back? On that monster contract? Do we really enjoy punishing ourselves that much? Wasn’t one stint enough?
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,673

Post#37 » by Jailblazers7 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:56 pm

We need some sort of deep dive book on the Sixers. My guess is that Colangelo meddled with the roster & catered to Ben’s ego because he preferred him over Embiid. The fish rots from the head & we were probably f*ck the second we got railroaded by the league during the Hinkie firing & Colangelo hiring.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,625

Post#38 » by Iverson Armband » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:11 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:

Putting Ben on the ball as PG was the right move. Much like Draymond was put on ball to justify his role on offense so you can have his impact on defense.

20-21 was a well constructed starting team around Ben/Embiid with Curry, Green, Harris...
Problem was the bench absolutely sucked. But that starting unit had championship potential even though everyone blamed Simmons for the series loss to Hawks. If Philly had the next year's bench that year then they could have a ring right now.

18-19 with Butler was a bad fit with Simmons. If Butler were Lillard then it would have been perfect since on/off ball shooter at PG is ideal. Butler is just a better player to be on ball than Simmons and so it made sense to have him play there instead of Simmons. Still even with the awkward fit, one buzzer beater was the difference.

Ben Simmons is not and never was a PG and putting him on ball was a horrible decision. All Brett did with that move was enable him and allow him to hide on offense. Forget shooting, he wasn’t even a good half court facilitator. What PG do you know that can’t/won’t shoot, can’t run PnR and can’t facilitate in the half court? It was assinine. That whole thing was done to coddle and appease Simmons and all it did was stunt his growth and backfire on us big time.
always a jump shot away.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by rzzzzz » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:25 pm

zimpy27 wrote:18-19 with Butler was a bad fit with Simmons. If Butler were Lillard then it would have been perfect since on/off ball shooter at PG is ideal. Butler is just a better player to be on ball than Simmons and so it made sense to have him play there instead of Simmons. Still even with the awkward fit, one buzzer beater was the difference.

That seems to be the common consensus…except with Butler. Jimmy made it a point to support Simmons, publicly, saying it wasn’t right for Ben to be on the ball the whole season and to be sidelined in the playoffs. I think Jimmy was enthusiastic about the chances of making adjustments so that he and Ben and Embiid fit. What really concerned Jimmy was how poorly the team prepped for games. He said he was stunned by the silence when the team watched tape. Harris was determined to extend Brett, who was determined not to be embarrassed by an outspoken player, even if that player knew exactly what he was talking about. Embiid was furious about losing that obvious chemistry, and grudgingly accepted a replacement coach, after the damage was done, where he at least enjoyed emotional support, if not the expertise that figured out how he and Ben best co-exist on the offense.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 728

Post#40 » by Kova » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:52 am

If we can get it for cheap, why not. Cheap = disgruntled Harden. ;)

Return to Philadelphia 76ers