ImageImageImage

Around the League: 2023-24 Season

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Re: Around the League: 2023-24 Season 

Post#1621 » by Negrodamus » Mon May 20, 2024 8:39 pm

I was just looking at how some of the rookies from last year played and saw that Anthony Black started 33 games!?! Obviously didn't do much in the 69 games he played this season. Kinda crazy to start for a playoff team. Maybe they were just trying to give him confidence and some time to play with the best players on the team.

Jarace Walker I guess I can't blame Jarace Walker for coming out last year if he's getting drafted at 8. He basically took a redshirt year lol. I wonder if the Pacers regret that pick. They're currently getting value out of Ben Sheppard in the playoffs though.

For the most part, however, it seems there hasn't been any instant impact guys other than Wemby that pops off the page.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,235

Post#1622 » by mjkvol » Mon May 20, 2024 9:19 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I was just looking at how some of the rookies from last year played and saw that Anthony Black started 33 games!?! Obviously didn't do much in the 69 games he played this season. Kinda crazy to start for a playoff team. Maybe they were just trying to give him confidence and some time to play with the best players on the team.

Jarace Walker I guess I can't blame Jarace Walker for coming out last year if he's getting drafted at 8. He basically took a redshirt year lol. I wonder if the Pacers regret that pick. They're currently getting value out of Ben Sheppard in the playoffs though.

For the most part, however, it seems there hasn't been any instant impact guys other than Wemby that pops off the page.

Lively has been popping pretty nicely for the Mavs.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,050

Post#1623 » by Stanford » Tue May 21, 2024 9:22 pm

Kobblehead wrote:.

How bout that all defense team
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,284

Post#1624 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 21, 2024 9:40 pm

PR stunt for marketing purposes. This is equal to Jinder Mahal winning the WWE championship.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Post#1625 » by the_process » Tue May 21, 2024 10:10 pm

The Lakers are going to hire JJ Redick and waste a 1st round pick on Bronny just to get the LeBron retirement tour. :lol:

My question is: does AD ask out? He ostensibly wants to win, right? He's okay with wasting two years?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1626 » by mjkvol » Tue May 21, 2024 10:24 pm

the_process wrote:The Lakers are going to hire JJ Redick and waste a 1st round pick on Bronny just to get the LeBron retirement tour. :lol:

My question is: does AD ask out? He ostensibly wants to win, right? He's okay with wasting two years?

My guess is he's staying. You just don't question or quit The King.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1627 » by the_process » Tue May 21, 2024 10:34 pm

mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:The Lakers are going to hire JJ Redick and waste a 1st round pick on Bronny just to get the LeBron retirement tour. :lol:

Kyrie did. Granted, he's bat**** crazy. Wasn't necessarily wrong in that instance, though. He saw LeBron was gonna bail and beat him to the punch.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1628 » by mjkvol » Tue May 21, 2024 10:58 pm

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Kyrie did. Granted, he's bat**** crazy. Wasn't necessarily wrong in that instance, though. He saw LeBron was gonna bail and beat him to the punch.

As wacky as he is, I will forever respect Kyrie for that. And even with Silver's meddling, the Cavs don't sniff that title without Kyrie.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1629 » by mjkvol » Thu May 23, 2024 3:51 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cavaliers-fire-coach-j-b-bickerstaff-after-consecutive-playoff-runs-over-five-years-in-cleveland/

Not to necessarily defend Bickerstaff, but this looks to me to be yet another example of the inmates running the asylum, in this case the inmate being Mitchell, who it appears the Cavs will placate with coaching and roster moves to get him to sign a max deal. We'll see how badly Mitchell wants to force his way to NYC.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#1630 » by GoSixersBro » Thu May 23, 2024 5:34 pm

mjkvol wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cavaliers-fire-coach-j-b-bickerstaff-after-consecutive-playoff-runs-over-five-years-in-cleveland/

Not to necessarily defend Bickerstaff, but this looks to me to be yet another example of the inmates running the asylum, in this case the inmate being Mitchell, who it appears the Cavs will placate with coaching and roster moves to get him to sign a max deal. We'll see how badly Mitchell wants to force his way to NYC.

The coaching carousel in not just basketball, but hockey, baseball, and European football as well, is crazy.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
the_process
RealGM

Post#1631 » by the_process » Thu May 23, 2024 6:57 pm

mjkvol wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cavaliers-fire-coach-j-b-bickerstaff-after-consecutive-playoff-runs-over-five-years-in-cleveland/

So this move must be for Mitchell, right?

Following down that rabbit hole, it means an Allen/Garland for Ingram/Daniels/picks trade would make a ton of sense for both CLE and NOP.

Would you take CJ McCollum off NOP if they added a 1st?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1632 » by mjkvol » Thu May 23, 2024 7:58 pm

the_process wrote:

So this move must be for Mitchell, right?

Following down that rabbit hole, it means an Allen/Garland for Ingram/Daniels/picks trade would make a ton of sense for both CLE and NOP.

Would you take CJ McCollum off NOP if they added a 1st?

That's how I see it. Cleveland has probably concluded that they can build around Mitchell and Mobley, and will do what they can to placate him. One thing for sure, if they don't get him to sign his max contract this summer, he will be the one that is dealt. No way they let him get to the open market and lose him for nothing.

C.J. ...... hmmmmm. I've always liked him as a player, he's a guy like DeRozan that can get you a bucket, but a much better 3-pt. shooter. Not crazy about yet another small guard. Two years left at around $30 mil a year is a little stiff, and my guess is we can do a lot better.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,883

Post#1633 » by 76ciology » Fri May 24, 2024 1:54 am

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

Future Sixer.

*please check injury history next time
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 558

Post#1634 » by MVP1992 » Fri May 24, 2024 2:37 am

76ciology wrote:[x] []

Future Sixer.

*please check injury history next time

I'm taking him over Bamba right now

*think his birthday is Feb 29th :wink:
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1635 » by mjkvol » Fri May 24, 2024 6:46 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275840/Knicks-Not-Trying-To-Trade-Julius-Randle

I sure as hell hope that this is actually the case, because trading him for picks and freeing up space would be the smartest move they could make. Randle is better than Tobias, but he has the Tobias national media thing going where his value is ridiculously inflated.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,284

Post#1636 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 25, 2024 7:51 pm

mjkvol wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275840/Knicks-Not-Trying-To-Trade-Julius-Randle

I sure as hell hope that this is actually the case, because trading him for picks and freeing up space would be the smartest move they could make. Randle is better than Tobias, but he has the Tobias national media thing going where his value is ridiculously inflated.

Unfortunately, I predict Randle will be moved.

The Knicks front office is extremely powerful right now. And the Nova boys have a lot of sway in how the team is built, going forward. I think the Knicks are going to be able to dump Randle off on the Nets and get Mikal Bridges back.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1637 » by mjkvol » Sat May 25, 2024 8:11 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
mjkvol wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275840/Knicks-Not-Trying-To-Trade-Julius-Randle

Unfortunately, I predict Randle will be moved.

The Knicks front office is extremely powerful right now. And the Nova boys have a lot of sway in how the team is built, going forward. I think the Knicks are going to be able to dump Randle off on the Nets and get Mikal Bridges back.

Agree. The old incompetent Knick management is gone, and they know they are a couple of players from being contenders for the foreseeable future. Plus, they saw how good they were without Randle and with Anonoby, and I expect them to build around that group moving forward. Eliminating Randle would also help them keep Hartenstein if they chose to.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1638 » by mjkvol » Wed May 29, 2024 11:44 pm

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,496

Post#1639 » by Eyeamok » Thu May 30, 2024 4:25 am

If/when the Clipers resign PG, what does Ballmer expect Lue to do with his big 3? The West has some young hungry teams coming up. And the Clippers have a core of veterans that don't show up for the playoffs. So yes I am glad Lue got paid but what is he supposed to do with this Clippers team?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,883

Post#1640 » by 76ciology » Thu May 30, 2024 4:44 am

Eyeamok wrote:If/when the Clipers resign PG, what does Ballmer expect Lue to do with his big 3? The West has some young hungry teams coming up. And the Clippers have a core of veterans that don't show up for the playoffs. So yes I am glad Lue got paid but what is he supposed to do with this Clippers team?

I believe all you can do is to build a team that can reach a certain level of competence on multiple seasons, then roll the dice and hope that luck—or the invisible hand—chooses you.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers