Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,235

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#1401 » by mjkvol » Tue May 21, 2024 7:47 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
I hate giving up this year's 1st for Ingram, but I especially hate losing the 2028 LAC pick, which is the crown jewel of our assets. I get your point about his number leaving more cap space, but that's too much to give up for a player NO probably wants to move anyway.

If all it takes is only two 1sts, then yea, I’m even more on board. We could probably sign him for less than a max, if it seems his value is as low as people are saying.

I think he’s in a similar buy-low situation as Andrew Wiggins and Aaron Gordon were before they were traded to their respective championship teams

I'm not a huge Ingram fan, but he does fit nicely here and is the kind of buy-low upside potential player I'm hoping we are looking at. Much better this than one of those max deal abominations.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Post#1402 » by the_process » Tue May 21, 2024 8:13 pm

mjkvol wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
I hate giving up this year's 1st for Ingram, but I especially hate losing the 2028 LAC pick, which is the crown jewel of our assets. I get your point about his number leaving more cap space, but that's too much to give up for a player NO probably wants to move anyway.

If all it takes is only two 1sts, then yea, I’m even more on board. We could probably sign him for less than a max, if it seems his value is as low as people are saying.

I think he’s in a similar buy-low situation as Andrew Wiggins and Aaron Gordon were before they were traded to their respective championship teams

I'm not a huge Ingram fan, but he does fit nicely here and is the kind of buy-low upside potential player I'm hoping we are looking at. Much better this than one of those max deal abominations.

Two 1sts for Ingram is acceptable, but I'm exploring other options before pulling that trigger.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,050

Post#1403 » by Stanford » Tue May 21, 2024 8:16 pm

If the two picks are 16 and that fake OKC first, I agree that's acceptable. Whatever happens, if we're trading a pick, it's got to be this year's to maintain trade flexibility in the future.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,620

Post#1404 » by youngcrev » Tue May 21, 2024 8:32 pm

I'd like to find a decent answer to the backup center spot, but:
A) I don't think you can invest much in terms of resources (cap or 1st round picks) in someone that can't see the floor with Embiid

And B) I still think it's a position that can be addressed with minimum or at least low salary players

It's a different story if you're looking at a 4/5 type that could definitively play at the same time as Embiid. Like a Bobby Portis, Naz Reid, Wendell Carter, Kelly Olynyk... Ok, sure, you could convince me that's a worthy investment. But getting one of these types also isn't a priority. The number one priority next to Embiid and Maxey should be finding quality wing players, and those cost money.

I get that this team has generally sucked when Embiid has been off the floor and that he misses a good amount time. The best way to not suck is to have more good players in general, particularly ones that can scale between being a good support piece and carrying a larger load when necessary. We got by just fine with Paul Reed when Harden was here.

I don't think it can be completely ignored (like the Greg Monroe year). I just don't think you can over compensate for it (like the Al Horford year).
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,375

Post#1405 » by Arsenal » Tue May 21, 2024 9:35 pm

Yeah, I'm out on DMelt. Anything more than vet min and I'm out. Vet min from us is actually valuable to him since it preserves his full Bird Rights for next offseason.

Read on Twitter

Although it is Pompey so take it with an ocean of salt lol.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,235

Post#1406 » by mjkvol » Tue May 21, 2024 9:36 pm

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

Two 1sts for Ingram is acceptable, but I'm exploring other options before pulling that trigger.

As Stanford alluded, two picks is okay, but one of them can't be the LAC '28.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,284

Post#1407 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 21, 2024 9:52 pm

4 years, $60m for Melton is outrageous. This is where Springer failing to develop screwed us. Springer was supposed to be ready to plug and play in the Melton role as he expired.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,104

Post#1408 » by Embiid P » Tue May 21, 2024 9:59 pm

Kobblehead wrote:4 years, $60m for Melton is outrageous. This is where Springer failing to develop screwed us. Springer was supposed to be ready to plug and play in the Melton role as he expired.

Springer may or may not end up being a bust, but using the word "develop" when Doc Rivers was the coach is pure fantasy.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,620

Post#1409 » by youngcrev » Tue May 21, 2024 10:18 pm

Arsenal wrote:Yeah, I'm out on DMelt. Anything more than vet min and I'm out. Vet min from us is actually valuable to him since it preserves his full Bird Rights for next offseason.

Read on Twitter

Jesus Christ, did Pompey really cite Bleacher Report prediction article?

I think its feasible someone pays him full MLE (or slightly above) money if the back checks out. I would hope it's not us since I don't love his long-term fit next to Maxey in the backcourt due to the size and lack of playmaking.

Still, guys with 3 and D traits have value. Assuming Cade is still the guy in Detroit, he's an interesting fit there from an age/skillset perspective, and they've got a pile of money to spend and probably not a ton of options.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 996

Post#1410 » by Tony Franciosa » Tue May 21, 2024 10:30 pm

lol at Pompey using his Mii avatar as his Twitter main photo
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Post#1411 » by the_process » Tue May 21, 2024 10:32 pm

Melton getting stupid money from someone wouldn't surprise me if he passes the physical.

Whoever it is, please don't let it be the Sixers.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 673

Post#1412 » by Monix » Tue May 21, 2024 10:38 pm

love Melton but I'm not interested in investing longterm money on an undersized wing with a back injury
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,496

Post#1413 » by Eyeamok » Wed May 22, 2024 1:15 am

mjkvol wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Morey would have to put some protection on the LA pick right!
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Post#1414 » by Negrodamus » Wed May 22, 2024 4:17 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46

If we miss on everyone, I’m willing to take Monk before trading for someone.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,883

Post#1415 » by 76ciology » Wed May 22, 2024 5:06 am

If we're going to divide our bets among 2-3 players instead of going for a super max, here are some options:

- $8M: Alex Caruso
- $20M: DeAndre Hunter (not a fan of his), Bruce Brown (not a fan of his), Collin Sexton, possibly Malik Monk, possibly D'Angelo Russell
- $23M: Mikal Bridges (expensive), Cam Johnson (seems expensive)
- $24-26M: Dejounte Murray, John Collins, Draymond Green, Andrew Wiggins, possibly Klay Thompson, possibly Nic Claxton
- $29M: Jerami Grant
- $36M: Brandon Ingram

*who am i missing?

It seems that if we can acquire 2-3 of these players, plus draft a good player with the 16th pick (with either Kyle Flipowski or Terrence Shannon; possibly Edey) and then re-sign Oubre (and probably Hield), use the exemption, we'd be ready to compete.

This is an outlook to consider if Paul George is off the market.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sammorey
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#1416 » by sammorey » Wed May 22, 2024 7:58 am

Arsenal wrote:Yeah, I'm out on DMelt. Anything more than vet min and I'm out. Vet min from us is actually valuable to him since it preserves his full Bird Rights for next offseason.

Read on Twitter

Melton is going to get at least $8 million on a 1+1 with a PO. He probably gets $12 million+.

I actually think a 1+1 makes a ton of sense for both the Sixers and him. It gives him $16 million GTD and gives him two chances at having a good season before becoming a UFA. Allows the Sixers to only use $8 million of their cap space and can re-sign him to a bigger deal the following summer.
sammorey
Ballboy

Post#1417 » by sammorey » Wed May 22, 2024 8:37 am

It's going to be Jimmy Butler is what I've come to realize. The Heat have zero flexibility and need to regroup prior to Adebayo becoming an UFA in the summer of 2026.

Sixers will trade 2024 1st, one of their own 1sts, and a LAC 1st.
Sign Melton to a 1+1 for $8 million in the room exception.
Oubre for $10 million of cap space
Kennard/Hield for $6 million of cap space
Covington, Lowry, Tristan Thompson on vet mins

Maxey, Lowry
Melton, Kennard
Butler, Council
Oubre, Covington
Embiid, Thompson

Sadly, it's not great and will probably require a Butler max extension to keep him happy.

I've looked at this from every angle and have no idea what Morey will do. But, I do believe he understands the CBA very well and understands there will be players who come available who we would have never expected. He seems more confident than he should be. I have more confidence in the team he will build than it feels like I should have.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 432

Post#1418 » by Zumramania » Wed May 22, 2024 8:47 am

I want no part of Melton, the dude is a playoff choker, can't create and his defense is overrrated.
sammorey
Ballboy

Post#1419 » by sammorey » Wed May 22, 2024 8:56 am

A move I think will happen is taking in a $10-$20 million bad contract in exchange for a draft pick. And then using that contract, that pick + perhaps more picks at the deadline to acquire an upgrade. Remember, Morey likes to wait until the deadline to see what options are available before committing to a specific plan.

Something like a 1st for Tim Hardaway, Jr.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,297

Post#1420 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed May 22, 2024 11:27 am

I think whatever the plan is has to start on draft night. Whatever Morey’s move is can’t be something that’s going to drag out for months like Simmons or Harden. We have our two stars and there are many ways to build around them. Not building around them yet again is not an option.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

Return to Philadelphia 76ers