** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,615

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#1041 » by youngcrev » Sun May 12, 2024 2:17 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
youngcrev wrote:There's multiple ways to build this thing out around Embiid/Maxey. I simply thinking it's easier to do so if you can find a 3rd star that fits with them than it is to nail a handful of role players. Check out "top free agents" this summer and Tobias Harris and Buddy Hield show up pretty prominently. I get the Knicks have a bunch of awesome players in the 9-20M range, but that's not easy to do.

That's not really building around Embiid/Maxey, though. That's relying on the third star to come here and be the savior.

Unless that guy is Jimmy Butler and he's healthy, it's not likely to work. Especially not likely to work with Pal Jorge IMO.

I don't think if you're paying a 3rd guy star money it means they're here to be the savior. If it's Lebron or Jimmy, sure, that's probably the narrative since they'll come in and be ball dominant guys.

If it's Paul George, he's not going to supplant Embiid or Maxey as the top option. He'd be here as the 3rd guy that basically gives you elite role player skillset with the ability to scale up as necessary.

PG has never wanted to be the top guy IMO. Whether next to inferior talent in Westbrook or joining up with Kawhi. He wants to be the Pippen. Just be really good at everything without the pressure of being the lead dog.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,581

Post#1042 » by GoSixersBro » Sun May 12, 2024 2:39 pm

Can't believe people are talking themselves into Paul George yet this forum was adamant against a 29 year old Butler 5 years ago.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,281

Post#1043 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun May 12, 2024 3:03 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:Can't believe people are talking themselves into Paul George yet this forum was adamant against a 29 year old Butler 5 years ago.

This place was heavily anti-Butler then lol.

"He's going to start declining"
"He's almost 30!"
"He's not going to age well"

:lol:
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,615

Post#1044 » by youngcrev » Sun May 12, 2024 4:09 pm

I'm calling BS on this forum being against bringing Jimmy back. There were certainly individuals against it, and how the contract would age was a concern (particularly compared to just entering his prime Tobias ..), but I'm pretty sure the majority of people wanted them to sign Jimmy.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,609

Post#1045 » by NYSixersFan » Sun May 12, 2024 4:26 pm

No PG or Jimmy...Please!
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#1046 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun May 12, 2024 5:27 pm

youngcrev wrote:I'm calling BS on this forum being against bringing Jimmy back. There were certainly individuals against it, and how the contract would age was a concern (particularly compared to just entering his prime Tobias ..), but I'm pretty sure the majority of people wanted them to sign Jimmy.

Some very strong anti-Jimmy posts before and after he was traded. Won't name any names, but see for yourself.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1813645&hilit=2019

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1861698&hilit=2019

Edit: In the first thread I argued he'd be great into his mid-30s, but that age 34-36 is when players of his caliber break down. Guess I can't be pro-Jimmy or PG13 this summer :lol:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,204

Post#1047 » by mjkvol » Sun May 12, 2024 5:27 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:Can't believe people are talking themselves into Paul George yet this forum was adamant against a 29 year old Butler 5 years ago.

It's the old cliche, the 'definition of insanity', and yet here we are.

And it's more than talking themselves into it, from the national media to people right here it's treated as a best case scenario.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,024

Post#1048 » by Stanford » Sun May 12, 2024 5:53 pm

It's pretty simple why people are talking themselves into Paul George. He's available to acquire without giving up any trade assets. He's technically/possibly the best player they can acquire in that way. And he has a skillset that would work with the guys we have. That's why he's appealing.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,854

Post#1049 » by the_process » Sun May 12, 2024 6:17 pm

youngcrev wrote:There's multiple ways to build this thing out around Embiid/Maxey. I simply thinking it's easier to do so if you can find a 3rd star that fits with them than it is to nail a handful of role players. Check out "top free agents" this summer and Tobias Harris and Buddy Hield show up pretty prominently. I get the Knicks have a bunch of awesome players in the 9-20M range, but that's not easy to do.

And it's not something Morey has ever shown any inclination to do.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#1050 » by stormi » Sun May 12, 2024 6:23 pm

Everybody has 'roleplayer utopia' until you ask for names.

Malik Monk, Tyus Jones and Kevin Love? This isn't getting you anywhere near a championship.

George is by far and away the best option available at our disposal.

He's an elite fit alongside Maxey and Embiid, and would be the first player in the Joel-era that wouldn't capitulate 20 point leads without someone there to hold his hand.

I guess you could max an injury prone OG (injured again btw) or an up and down Siakam.

Someone like Donovan Mitchell is an obvious All NBA talent in his prime with proven playoff ability. He would have synergy with Maxey and Embiid and the improvements he gives the team in scoring and shot creation would lower the skill threshold you need from the wing position.

But not only would we likely be outbid for him. Our fans have turned their noses up at him multiple times in the past stating that our backcourt would be too small.

So what are our other options?

We're clearly watching the passing of the guard before our eyes. Durant/Steph/Lebron unable to dominate the way they once did. It's sport first and foremost and youth, physicality and athleticism has been winning fast and frequent.

The time to get cute and experiment with roleplayers was six seasons ago when Joel Embiid was 24 years old, not now when he's 30 years old and suffering from never before seen trauma every season.

The formula was there though. Simmons/Redick/Covington/Saric.

Maybe one season you transformed Simmons into a guard with a more well rounded game
And then maybe you transformed Covington into a star wing that could actually put the ball on the floor
or you transformed Saric into an advanced stretch four/big that didn't have TRex arms and could defend
or your transformed Redick into a movement shooter that wasn't a defensive liability

And then you tuned the recipe again and again until something finally clicked.

That's what the Bucks did with Ilyasova/Bledsoe/Brogdon into Portis/Holiday/Tucker and it's what the Celtics have been doing around Tatum and Brown; IT to Hayward and Kyrie to Kemba to White and Holiday -- Smart into Porzingis.

We let amateurs like Colangelo/Brown/Brand run rampant and we ended up anchoring Joel Embiid to the ultimate loser Tobias Harris with no further assets.

We're at the point now where going "all-in" might not even result in an ECF, and it's more than likely that we end up a Suns east type of team constantly compounding bad moves.

Paul George is a free asset and better than any name I'm seeing brought up here. You retain your capital and the valuable Clippers future picks, and you simply get to monitor what happens with Embiid and his health over coming years.

You get a wing that defends and shoots at a high level and with 5+ tradeable firsts in pocket to hold onto incase a real big fish becomes available.

Possibly a player that could be a running mate with Maxey for the next decade.
stormi
General Manager

Post#1051 » by stormi » Sun May 12, 2024 6:30 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:The margin for error with super teams is so thin. You need injury luck (which we never get) and your stars have to play at peak levels consistently. Even the Heatles struggled because their depth sucked & Wade was always battling knee issues.

They we're pretty much cooked by 2014 and that's with a 29 year old Lebron James.

Wade, Bosh, Lewis, Birdman, Battier, Allen etc were dying on the hardwood before our eyes and they got brutalized in the finals against that Spurs team.

That's probably our fate either way. Roleplayers or stars. I don't think we have the physicality or the playstyle to keep up anymore.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,021

Post#1052 » by Mik317 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:42 pm

its all about the next two years more than likely anyway for this FO.

hopefully they don't **** up the future too much but it is what it is. PG's skillset "should" age well into a super Batum type. Jimmy however has had an old mans game for years now too. But both miss a lot of games.

this is where a good FO goes to work tho.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1053 » by mjkvol » Sun May 12, 2024 7:04 pm

stormi wrote:Everybody has 'roleplayer utopia' until you ask for names.

Malik Monk, Tyus Jones and Kevin Love? This isn't getting you anywhere near a championship.

He's an elite fit alongside Maxey and Embiid, and would be the first player in the Joel-era that wouldn't capitulate 20 point leads without someone there to hold his hand.

I guess you could max an injury prone OG (injured again btw) or an up and down Siakam.

Someone like Donovan Mitchell is an obvious All NBA talent in his prime with proven playoff ability. He would have synergy with Maxey and Embiid and the improvements he give the team in scoring and shot creation lowers the skill threshold you need from the wing.

But not only would we likely be outbid for him. Our fans have turned their noses up at him multiple times in the past stating that our backcourt would be too small.

We're clearly watching the passing of the guard before our eyes. Durant/Steph/Lebron unable to dominate the way they once did. It's sport first and foremost and youth, physicality and athleticism has been winning fast and frequent.

The time to get cute and experiment with roleplayers was six seasons ago when Joel Embiid was 24 years old.

Maybe one season you transformed Simmons into a guard with a more well rounded game
And then maybe you transformed Covington into a star wing that could actually put the ball on the floor
or you transformed Saric into an advanced stretch four/big that didn't have TRex arms and could defend
or your transformed Redick into a movement shooter that wasn't a defensive liability

That's what the Bucks did with Ilyasova/Bledsoe/Brogdon into Portis/Holiday/Tucker and it's what the Celtics have been doing around Tatum and Brown; IT to Hayward and Kyrie to Kemba to White and Holiday -- Smart into Porzingis.

We let amateurs like Colangelo/Brown/Brand run rampant and we ended up anchoring Joel Embiid to the ultimate loser Tobias Harris with no further assets.

We're at the point now where going "all-in" might not even result in an ECF, and it's more than likely that we end up a Suns east type of team constantly compounding bad moves.

Paul George is a free asset and better than any name I'm seeing brought up here. You retain your capital and the valuable Clippers future picks, and you simply get to monitor what happens with Embiid and his health over coming years.

You get a wing that defends and shoots at a high level and with 5+ tradeable firsts in pocket to hold onto incase a real big fish becomes available.

Best argument for George I've seen here yet, but I can't help but believe that your 'Suns east' description will be the end result. I only hope it doesn't completely decimate the future and chase Maxey out of here in yet another attempt to prolong this imaginary window.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,628

Post#1054 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun May 12, 2024 7:25 pm

First off...Speak for yourselves as far as the anti-Butler crowd goes. I personally was NOT cool with him leaving. I kept an open mind about Josh Richardson coming aboard because I thought he was still an ascending player, but in no way was I cool with us moving on from Butler after a four-month rental. The issue was and always will be Ben Simmons. This wasn't Tobias over Buter. It was Simmons who wasn't cool with the situation. We rolled the dice on talent/upside with Simmons because Butler was pushing 30 and that was a concern for some on here. It was not a concern to me personally. Butler fit Philly perfectly and it's downright shameful that we didn't run it back with him. It doesn't matter now though, and for what it's worth, I'm 100% down with a Jimmy Butler reunion if we can do it. With that being said, I'm not all too cool with the idea of Paul George coming here. They're around the same age, but Butler is proven in the postseason and for the most part durable while Paul George is not.

Just to conclude this, adding Butler would only be part of the equation this offseason. You'd still need depth and you'd still need to address the rebounding issue that continues to plague us. As far as a trio goes...Maxey, Embiid, and Butler is honestly perfect in my opinion. Keep in mind that this is probably Maxey's show moving forward.

As far as big names go for my personal wish list this offseason,
1. Butler
2. Lauri
3. Mikel Bridges
4. Ingram

Paul George is not on that list.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#1055 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun May 12, 2024 7:29 pm

With Embiid, Maxey, Murray, and Miles you would have four guys who can go for over 20 on any given night. That’s not including using the rest of our cap space and/or #16 if it’s not used to trade for Murray.

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#1056 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun May 12, 2024 7:44 pm

Morey's Backup (George) to the Backup (Butler) Offseason

1. Draft Terrence Shannon Jr. at #16
2. Trade 2026 OKC/HOU 1st, 2028 LAC 1st, & 2029 PHI 1st for Brandon Ingram (3-teamer with ATL?)
3. Sign Klay Thompson (or Gary Trent Jr.), Jonas Valanciunas, and De'Anthony Melton with remaining cap space (~$30 mil)
4. Sign Kyle Anderson with the room exception
5. Sign Kyle Lowry, Cam Payne, Nico Batum, Dario Saric, and Robert Covington with vet mins

Maxey/Payne/Lowry
Thompson/Melton/Council
Ingram/Batum/Shannon
Anderson/Saric/Covington
Embiid/Valanciunas/(#41)

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
stormi
General Manager

Post#1057 » by stormi » Sun May 12, 2024 7:51 pm

mjkvol wrote:
stormi wrote:Everybody has 'roleplayer utopia' until you ask for names.

Someone like Donovan Mitchell is an obvious All NBA talent in his prime with proven playoff ability. He would have synergy with Maxey and Embiid and the improvements he give the team in scoring and shot creation lowers the skill threshold you need from the wing.

The time to get cute and experiment with roleplayers was six seasons ago when Joel Embiid was 24 years old.

Best argument for George I've seen here yet, but I can't help but believe that your 'Suns east' description will be the end result. I only hope it doesn't completely decimate the future and chase Maxey out of here in yet another attempt to prolong this imaginary window.

The only path to veer away in that case then would be trading Embiid.

Suns east truly is when you're backed into a corner with no assets to look down the road towards.

At least if George/Embiid blow up, you can move Embiid for a haul and start again with your own draft pick capital + Maxey + Clippers assets. Sort of the way Utah blew it up while retooling simulataneously.

Unless you're bringing high end elite level roleplayers to the table and building a 2011 Mavs god-squad around Embiid littered with athletes, defenders and shooters it just feels like an utter waste of time to go bargain hunting.

Again I'm open to the idea. I just don't think we can get Avdija/Caruso/Brogden/Toppin in one summer, and we probably need something of the sort around Embiid and Maxey to compete with Boston and Denver.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,104

Post#1058 » by sixers hoops » Sun May 12, 2024 7:57 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:

This place was heavily anti-Butler then lol.

"He's going to start declining"
"He's almost 30!"
"He's not going to age well"

:lol:

I don’t know that I didnt want Jimmy as much as I thought it was either him or Ben. I just didn’t think he fit very well with Ben. Jimmy isn’t a great floor spacer and Ben obviously needs space to get to the basket. Jimmy does have a lot of injuries, so I didn’t think he would get any better, and Ben actually got worse.

I thought it was an easy decision. The early 20s all-star over the late 20s often injured malcontent. However, without Ben, my decision could have been different.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1059 » by mjkvol » Sun May 12, 2024 7:57 pm

Dallas is becoming this year's version of winning with two stars and a complimentary group of solid role players - some veterans who are thriving in a new home, some young guys getting a second chance, and even a 19-yr. old kid. I so hope that Morey is taking note of this and that the star chasing stuff is nothing but a smokescreen.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,581

Post#1060 » by GoSixersBro » Sun May 12, 2024 8:02 pm

mjkvol wrote:Dallas is becoming this year's version of winning with two stars and a complimentary group of solid role players - some veterans who are thriving in a new home, some young guys getting a second chance, and even a 19-yr. old kid. I so hope that Morey is taking note of this and that the star chasing stuff is nothing but a smokescreen.

Spoiler alert - he's not.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016

Return to Philadelphia 76ers