ImageImageImage

Reassessment time: Your confidence in Morey right now?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

What is your confidence in Morey this summer?

I'm very confident in Morey. I still think he's good. I expect him to have a good offseason
21%
I'm still hanging in there somewhat confident in Morey, but he needs to have a big offseason
13%
I'm in wait and see mode. I'm not for or against him right now. I'm in limbo with him
23%
I've lost confidence in Morey. I won't rule out a good summer, but I don't expect it
19%
I'm completely out on Morey. He's not as good as we thought, I have no faith in him
24%

Total votes: 105

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Re: Reassessment time: Your confidence in Morey right now? 

Post#101 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Jul 8, 2023 11:38 am

People still defending Lessy? he's done a really bad job, but he has that aura where he is the smartest in the room lol
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,104

Post#102 » by sixers hoops » Sat Jul 8, 2023 4:17 pm

HardenGoat wrote:Morey has his hands tied by the owner. McDaniels is a player he would have resigned along with Milton. Even Niang was a positive asset that walked. Any of those players could be used to attach in trades to get back assets especially if paired with Tobias prior to the deadline. The FO is trying to stay under the aprons and avoid the repeater tax burden when Embiid and Maxey become maxed along with whatever Tobias turns into after Harden expires. It’s basically punting this year to see what Maxey can do is my guess. Tobias will only be traded for expiring players because Harden might bring back longer term commitments. The owner has a line he won’t cross and he will not stay in the tax for more than a year. The new CBA is trying to reel in those teams that live in the tax. Warriors, Clippers etc. but it’s going to affect cheaper owners more in terms of competing is my prediction. This is the perfect example.

Morey is basically operating under the same rules as most of the league. It’s not just about cheap owners. GMs will be hesitant to go over the second apron because it’s limits their resources to acquire players using other contractual exceptions. If he can’t build a team under the second apron limit, then he prob shouldn’t have given PJ Tucker that dumb contract. Or don’t guarantee Furkan and House almost $10 million to not play. Or don’t trade a cost-controlled draft pick for Melton making $8 million. If Morey’s hands are tied, it’s basically that he can’t outspend his dumb moves.

Morey reportedly is trying to clear cap space, and his reluctance to commit to anybody for more than a year seems to supports that. He could have easily matched McDaniels if he wanted to. Shake clearly had no interest in staying. He will be 27 this year and still can’t crack the playoff rotation. He reportedly wanted to go somewhere he would play. Niang is a guy they were not committing any real money to. And Paul Reed is kind of the same, but a tougher decision since he is younger. Good teams generally do not sign a lot of bench guys to long contracts.

The reason these guys are walking isn’t because of Harris. It is the way that Morey manages the team. Do you see him placing a lot of value on young players? Is that why Joe and Bassey left too?

Harris is a crappy owner who doesn’t care about this team the way I do, but Morey’s mismanagement and affinity for signing old free-agents is the reason these guys aren’t staying. And in the cases of Niang and Milton, they certainly didn’t want to commit long-term money to fringe bench players. Bench players with longer guaranteed contracts aren’t assets.
Last pick
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#103 » by Last pick » Sat Jul 8, 2023 10:01 pm

I wrote this two months ago,

viewtopic.php?p=106234100#p106234100

and I've been thinking this for more than two years.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,573

Post#104 » by HardenGoat » Sun Jul 9, 2023 3:00 am

sixers hoops wrote:
HardenGoat wrote:Morey has his hands tied by the owner. McDaniels is a player he would have resigned along with Milton. Even Niang was a positive asset that walked. Any of those players could be used to attach in trades to get back assets especially if paired with Tobias prior to the deadline. The FO is trying to stay under the aprons and avoid the repeater tax burden when Embiid and Maxey become maxed along with whatever Tobias turns into after Harden expires. It’s basically punting this year to see what Maxey can do is my guess. Tobias will only be traded for expiring players because Harden might bring back longer term commitments. The owner has a line he won’t cross and he will not stay in the tax for more than a year. The new CBA is trying to reel in those teams that live in the tax. Warriors, Clippers etc. but it’s going to affect cheaper owners more in terms of competing is my prediction. This is the perfect example.

Morey is basically operating under the same rules as most of the league. It’s not just about cheap owners. GMs will be hesitant to go over the second apron because it’s limits their resources to acquire players using other contractual exceptions. If he can’t build a team under the second apron limit, then he prob shouldn’t have given PJ Tucker that dumb contract. Or don’t guarantee Furkan and House almost $10 million to not play. Or don’t trade a cost-controlled draft pick for Melton making $8 million. If Morey’s hands are tied, it’s basically that he can’t outspend his dumb moves.

Morey reportedly is trying to clear cap space, and his reluctance to commit to anybody for more than a year seems to supports that. He could have easily matched McDaniels if he wanted to. Shake clearly had no interest in staying. He will be 27 this year and still can’t crack the playoff rotation. He reportedly wanted to go somewhere he would play. Niang is a guy they were not committing any real money to. And Paul Reed is kind of the same, but a tougher decision since he is younger. Good teams generally do not sign a lot of bench guys to long contracts.

The reason these guys are walking isn’t because of Harris. It is the way that Morey manages the team. Do you see him placing a lot of value on young players? Is that why Joe and Bassey left too?

Harris is a crappy owner who doesn’t care about this team the way I do, but Morey’s mismanagement and affinity for signing old free-agents is the reason these guys aren’t staying. And in the cases of Niang and Milton, they certainly didn’t want to commit long-term money to fringe bench players. Bench players with longer guaranteed contracts aren’t assets.

I agree with everything you said here. They should work the numbers to stay under the second apron to have access to the MLE money. I think they could have done that using the salaries of McDaniels and Milton and still had money for Reed unless he’s signed for something outside that apron. It’s something like 19 million for this year. Letting McDaniels walk is what bugs me the most.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#105 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jul 9, 2023 3:59 am

HardenGoat wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

I agree with everything you said here. They should work the numbers to stay under the second apron to have access to the MLE money. I think they could have done that using the salaries of McDaniels and Milton and still had money for Reed unless he’s signed for something outside that apron. It’s something like 19 million for this year. Letting McDaniels walk is what bugs me the most.

Nothing you said was wrong. I just think GMs need to work around those constraints. You’re 100% right though
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#106 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jul 9, 2023 4:10 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
HardenGoat wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Nothing you said was wrong. I just think GMs need to work around those constraints. You’re 100% right though

I think Morey has been pretty bad; however, I have to keep in mind that he has been stuck with Tobias making almost a quarter of the owner-imposed budget. When a backend starter makes over 20% of your budget, that is tough to work around.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,375

Post#107 » by Arsenal » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:04 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
HardenGoat wrote:I agree with everything you said here. They should work the numbers to stay under the second apron to have access to the MLE money. I think they could have done that using the salaries of McDaniels and Milton and still had money for Reed unless he’s signed for something outside that apron. It’s something like 19 million for this year. Letting McDaniels walk is what bugs me the most.

I think Morey has been pretty bad; however, I have to keep in mind that he has been stuck with Tobias making almost a quarter of the owner-imposed budget. When a backend starter makes over 20% of your budget, that is tough to work around.

The previous front office's moves will even hurt next year as that's the last year of Tobi's toxic deal.

Not to mention the last 3 years torpedoed because the front office foolishly gave big money to Glenn right before hiring Morey, and wouldn't allow him to be fired until now.

Morey has been operating under the black cloud of the previous front office's total incompetence.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#108 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jul 9, 2023 6:16 pm

Arsenal wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:Nothing you said was wrong. I just think GMs need to work around those constraints. You’re 100% right though

The previous front office's moves will even hurt next year as that's the last year of Tobi's toxic deal.

Not to mention the last 3 years torpedoed because the front office foolishly gave big money to Glenn right before hiring Morey, and wouldn't allow him to be fired until now.

Morey has been operating under the black cloud of the previous front office's total incompetence.

I agree. I just think Morey has been bad, he doesn’t deserve a free pass. However, Morey stated he thinks Jalen McDaniels has starter potential for us, and Dic (he’s no Doc) didn’t play him. He let go of Bassey and Joe, but Dic didn’t play them either. I wonder if young guys get more of a shot from Morey now that Dic isn’t here.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,375

Post#109 » by Arsenal » Sun Jul 9, 2023 6:36 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

I agree. I just think Morey has been bad, he doesn’t deserve a free pass. However, Morey stated he thinks Jalen McDaniels has starter potential for us, and Dic (he’s no Doc) didn’t play him. He let go of Bassey and Joe, but Dic didn’t play them either. I wonder if young guys get more of a shot from Morey now that Dic isn’t here.

I'd say Morey has been mediocre thus far based on the hand he was dealt. The next 2 years he needs to make things happen, otherwise he's a failure.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,235

Post#110 » by mjkvol » Sun Jul 9, 2023 7:12 pm

Arsenal wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:Nothing you said was wrong. I just think GMs need to work around those constraints. You’re 100% right though

In the list of hideous moves and mistakes this franchise has made since Hinkie, I'm ready to put the hiring of Glenn right at the top. Reason being is that he had the two best shots this group has legitimately had at a title in the last two seasons and played a huge part in flushing them down the toilet, on top of costing us numerous young players he had no interest in developing.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,573

Post#111 » by HardenGoat » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:28 am

Tucker was brought in to appease both Harden and Embiid. I think Morey had no choice even if he knew the contract was a bad one and Tucker was going to fall off the Father Time cliff in short order. I think Morey is a good GM but doesn’t have full control. Embiid carry’s a big stick and Harris has a tax allergy.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,883

Post#112 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:20 am

Regarding the recent FO trying to recycle players on their ex-teams, it’s because we dont have much assets to add talent so we are using our connections instead. I mean, without Morey’s connection with McNair or Harden we might have to trade Ben Simmons for John Collins and we wouldnt get guys like Drummond, Niang, House Jr. and even Tucker. We even got Bamba because of Embiid’s recruiting him.

It’s our version of “Klutch Sports Agency”
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#113 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:50 am

HardenGoat wrote:Tucker was brought in to appease both Harden and Embiid. I think Morey had no choice even if he knew the contract was a bad one and Tucker was going to fall off the Father Time cliff in short order. I think Morey is a good GM but doesn’t have full control. Embiid carry’s a big stick and Harris has a tax allergy.

Players are never first, never, no matter how good they are, it's a team sport, you do what's best for the team, not for the player.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 6,041

Post#114 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:14 am

After listening to his interview my confidence in the man is at rock bottom. He sounded like Brian Colangelo blowing smoke up people's asses about the state of the team and the roster.

I've officially moved from wait-and-see mode to a tier below. I just hope what he is saying publicly isn't what he believes privately. I mean when you resort to singing the praises of Korkmaz and Beverly it should be apparent to everyone even yourself you've lost the plot. The reason why I haven't put him lower is because he still has a chance to somehow turn the Harden situation around. He needs to pull a houdini like he did with Simmons.

Also he tried to playoff Embiid comments as a joke. Were they? Embiid wants to win yes he has gotten injured in key moments and needs to take ownership for that but also we've never built a team with the depth that can survive an Embiid injury and if we know he gives max effort and tends to get injured in the playoffs not protecting yourself against that over and over is just as much on us as it is Embiid.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 6,041

Post#115 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:16 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:
HardenGoat wrote:Tucker was brought in to appease both Harden and Embiid. I think Morey had no choice even if he knew the contract was a bad one and Tucker was going to fall off the Father Time cliff in short order. I think Morey is a good GM but doesn’t have full control. Embiid carry’s a big stick and Harris has a tax allergy.

Players are never first, never, no matter how good they are, it's a team sport, you do what's best for the team, not for the player.

The player I wanted the most that free agency was Brown. We should have signed him instead of a washed-up husk of Tucker.
6ixpessant
Senior
And1: 459

Post#116 » by 6ixpessant » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:28 pm

Morey has been the worst general manager in the NBA for a long time, the culture of his teams is always awful.... Fire the guy before he drags the franchise down even more. I'm no Harden fan.. but his assessment about Morey being a "liar" is spot on. Morey runs on ego, nothing else.

Coleangelo v2.0
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Post#117 » by Negrodamus » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:21 pm

I actually liked him prior to the Harden trade. The idea that they have completely detached is really alluring to me. As long as players around the league don’t hate him, I’m willing to keep rolling with him.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,680

Post#118 » by hype_2004 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:57 pm

My 2 cents, you have to be a complete egotistical lowlife for an NBA player to call you out publicly as a liar, do you dudes still have faith in this guy?
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#119 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:00 pm

hype_2004 wrote:My 2 cents, you have to be a complete egotistical lowlife for an NBA player to call you out publicly as a liar, do you dudes still have faith in this guy?

Not really, but why are you putting the word of NBA players on a pedestal? James Harden isn't Mother Theresa.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#120 » by VDT » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:49 am

Honestly, he hasn't been bad. Getting Harden and forming a team that could potentially contend if Embiid were a better playoff performer is as good as you can expect given the situation with Simmons and the terrible Harris contract. Unfortunately, you can't do much if your best player is allergic to playoff basketball.

Of course, if his reputation with players is damaged due to the Harden saga he will have to be moved, but overall he has not been bad at all.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers