ImageImageImage

Other Teams Fans Thoughts on Trading for Andre Miller

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Other Teams Fans Thoughts on Trading for Andre Miller 

Post#1 » by Cru Thik » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:06 am

Does anyone else find the humor in the way other teams fans act when it comes to the idea of trading for Andre Miller. You would think we were trying to drop off the plague on them or something. Do we overvalue him or are most of these people posting in these threads clueless to what Andre Miller could really do for there teams? They fail to look at the bigger picture of what he can do and want to obsess on what he can't do. Do you think they will come around and see how foolish they have been once he starts playing for another team.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,030

Post#2 » by Mik317 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:24 am

well the guy has been traded twice( I think) and everywhere he's been fans have been willing to upgrade. Let's face the guy has no range and he isn't teh flashy and thus fan think lol he suxxors, I Know I Did........but after watching him i know he isn't that bad but He is a right now type of move and most of these guys are expecting a couple of years type move, That's all.

PLUS we do overvalue our players.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
darius08
Bench Warmer
And1: 10

Post#3 » by darius08 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:47 am

Fans will typically underrate players like Andre Miller who's effect on the court does not show up in flashy plays or in gaudy box scores. I'm sure GMs value him more than fans. I'm not saying he'll fetch an all-star but he could easily fetch an expiring and lottery pick in the 9 range from the right team for exmaple.
phillyborn_jacksonite
Junior
And1: 2

Post#4 » by phillyborn_jacksonite » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:49 am

he'll fetch more as an expiring..keep him until this summer and use him either in a sign trade or get pickS..yes that is plural.....i personally am not on the bus to tankerville but if you insist..we can still get there with Miller driving he bus...just give thad and smith 10 more minutes each....they will make more defensive mistakes than willie and reggie and bring us to a record of 27 wins and the rest losses..personally i rather see them win but to each his own
sig courtesy of GKgfx
barkley34
Veteran
And1: 0

Re: Other Teams Fans Thoughts on Trading for Andre Miller 

Post#5 » by barkley34 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:42 am

Cassidy wrote:Do we overvalue him

Yes.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,883

Re: Other Teams Fans Thoughts on Trading for Andre Miller 

Post#6 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:58 pm

barkley34 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes.

Yes again..

There is no doubt that Andre Miller is a good PG. But he is no way a player that we NEED to built around like Steve Nash and Jason Kidd, because that is what I heard Stefanski said during the LA versus Sixers game.
Why?
Is he capable of carrying a team on his shoulder? Is he the guy we want the ball with during the crucial moments of the game? NO.

IMO, in order to be a PG to be built around you need something that is "unstoppable" on offense that will attract help defenders. Like for example, Stockton and Nash were almost unstoppable from long range that's why their pick and roll game were lethal. Magic, Kidd, and GP that enables them to kick out to wide open team mates. Plus the fact that they are better shooters than Andre Miller.

What has Andre Miller have? Miller doesn't even have range from the three point range that could stretch the opposing team's defense. The reason the Sixers are trying to play hard to get with Andre Miller's value is that because they basically traded a franchise player for him. And they would get crucified by the media and the fans if the real value of Andre Miller reveals itself by acquiring trade pieces of the same value or less.

Again, Andre Miller is a good PG. But Andre Miller along with AI2, should only be considered as the supporting cast of a franchise player whom we should be trying to acquire with this year's lottery or FA.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#7 » by LieCheatSteal » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:59 pm

He's valuable as a complimentary piece for a contender, probably as a starter but not a star. He's a matchup nightmare because of his size and can run offenses successfully for stars. He's not a ball hog but is being forced to here because of a weak offensive players surrounding him.

I'm surprised Dallas has never been mentioned in trade rumours for him. He would be a good fit for that team, creating for Dirk, Terry and Howard. Plus, he can guard bigger SG, something the smaller Terry can't really do. Then Harris can come off the bench, something he's more suited for.
Two years from being two years away.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,883

Post#8 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:29 pm

LieCheatSteal wrote:He's valuable as a complimentary piece for a contender, probably as a starter but not a star. He's a matchup nightmare because of his size and can run offenses successfully for stars. He's not a ball hog but is being forced to here because of a weak offensive players surrounding him.

I'm surprised Dallas has never been mentioned in trade rumours for him. He would be a good fit for that team, creating for Dirk, Terry and Howard. Plus, he can guard bigger SG, something the smaller Terry can't really do. Then Harris can come off the bench, something he's more suited for.

He won't fit their system because of his lack of outside shooting. And what should dallas offer for philly? Brandon Bass? I doubt that they will be willing to give up Harris for him .
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#9 » by LieCheatSteal » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:48 pm

crazylyf wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He won't fit their system because of his lack of outside shooting. And what should dallas offer for philly? Brandon Bass? I doubt that they will be willing to give up Harris for him .

You're right. He won't fit into their outside shooting system. As for a trade, I read somewhere that the Mavs still have KVH's contract on their books somewhere (I think in regards to something involving a Shaq deal but that might be from previous year). Having that contract would make things work out. Realgm trade checker, however, doesn't have it so maybe KVH's contract did expire already.
Two years from being two years away.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#10 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:57 pm

I put little to no stock in what the majority of posters on the Trade Board think of Andre Miller or any player for that matter. Have you read some of the proposed deals on that forum?? Seriously... most fans think their teams' scrubs can somehow be packaged for an all-star.

By the way, I'm all for keeping Miller here... for now.
sixersinsider
Sophomore
And1: 2

Is it still miller Time 

Post#11 » by sixersinsider » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Hello Sixer nation
News Flash
The iverson era is over
The BK era is over
Miller represents both of these eras.Keeping miller soley because he came back in the deal for allen is foolish. Most peaple don't value the greatest commodity in the nba............ CAPSPACE ...... :clap: With CAPSPACE you can turn water into WINE. Turn a hoe into a housewife. Even turn our SIXERS into EASTERN CONF CHAMPs. Miller is a pawn that must be sacrificed......
STChaser
Starter

Post#12 » by STChaser » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:04 pm

The way I see it, IF Korver was seen by Stefanski as being a "luxury" just because we lacked a post player, then Miller is even more of a luxury playing alongside a bunch of youngsters. This team is rebuilding and there is no point keeping a veteran PG who wants to win it now. Let's face it, who here really thinks Miller wants to be a Sixer? He's still bitter at Karl for trading him. Miller would be better suited for a team that is a contender, not a team that probably won't be a true contender for another two to three years. If he really wanted to be here, he wouldn't have shown up out of shape at the beginning of the season. He would have been motivated enough to come prepared. Even now if you watch him, he seems to be looking for his own more so than feeding his teammates. I think keeping him here will only lessen his value.

STChaser
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#13 » by The Sixer Fixer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:30 pm

STChaser wrote:The way I see it, IF Korver was seen by Stefanski as being a "luxury" just because we lacked a post player, then Miller is even more of a luxury playing alongside a bunch of youngsters.

Can't say I agree with that statement. Miller is perfect PG to help young players grow. You need a veteran on the court who can direct traffic and help guys get easy baskets. You put a young PG out there with other young guys and it becomes a free for all on offense. I'm not arguing the question of trading Miller or not, but you can't compare getting rid of him to Korver (a guy who doesn't make anyone else better on the floor).

STChaser wrote:This team is rebuilding and there is no point keeping a veteran PG who wants to win it now. Let's face it, who here really thinks Miller wants to be a Sixer? He's still bitter at Karl for trading him.

Rebuilding teams don't play young guys at all 5 spots on the floor. You build piece by piece. One of those pieces will eventually need to be Miller's replacement, but you don't try to replace everyone at the same time and start a team full of young guys. That stategy will rarely work. You need a mix of young and veteran guys.

I don't think you can say for sure that Miller doesn't want to be here. The guy is quite, he doesn't like to talk to the media...I have seen nothing to indicate he's not happy here. He may see it as a challenge to get this team to the playoffs. Would he be happier on a contender? Probably, but that's not the same as saying he's not happy here.

STChaser wrote:If he really wanted to be here, he wouldn't have shown up out of shape at the beginning of the season. He would have been motivated enough to come prepared.

Miller was no more out of shape than he has ever been in his career. Weight has always been a issue for him...even when he was with Denver. It was a big question mark around him when he was in college.

STChaser wrote:Even now if you watch him, he seems to be looking for his own more so than feeding his teammates. I think keeping him here will only lessen his value.

He's taking the same amount of shots now that he was earlier in the season. His assists are up quite a bit from earlier in the season. I don't think he's playing for himself on this team. He's one of our most efficient scorers so I want him shooting the ball more than almost everyone else on the team. Simply put, Miller is playing a lot better, in all areas, compared to what he was doing early in the season. The difference offensively of late is he's making his FT's. That's why his scoring is up compared to the first month or so.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#14 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:49 pm

I agree, Miller has to shoot more by defauslt given our lack of scorers. He looks to do whatever it takes for tis team to stay competative. unfortunately, their is only so much he can do out there.

Miller certainly keeps everyone moving and looking for the ball of of screens and back door plays. He also has been surprisingly good pushing or passing the ball forward to initialte the break.
barkley34
Veteran

Post#15 » by barkley34 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:23 pm

The Sixer Fixer wrote:One of those pieces will eventually need to be Miller's replacement, but you don't try to replace everyone at the same time and start a team full of young guys. That stategy will rarely work. You need a mix of young and veteran guys

It is working pretty good for the Trailblazers.

The problem with keeping Miller is that he is good enough to keep us stuck at mediocre in the 30-35 win range. Being mediocre with the salary cap situation in the NBA is the worst possible scenario. You are better off sucking like Minny this year and landing a stud high in the draft.

Also keeping him,Daly & Iggy eats up 30 million in cap space. To me it is a no brainer they should move him, they will suck short term but it will be the best way to improve the team dramatically this off season.

Miller is like a beautiful paint job on a restored car. A great final piece, the problem is we don't have an engine in the car and we probably won't get one as long as we keep Miller around.
STChaser
Starter

Post#16 » by STChaser » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:24 pm

I'm with barkley34 on this one. If Miller was wowing me with his defense, I may think twice. But it seems like our backcourt is getting schooled by every young PG we play and some of that has to fall on Miller's shoulders.

STChaser
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#17 » by The Sixer Fixer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:09 pm

barkley34 wrote:It is working pretty good for the Trailblazers.

They run Blake at the PG spot. He's a veteran PG at this point in his career. Notice they weren't as good with Jack starting earlier in the seson.

barkley34 wrote:The problem with keeping Miller is that he is good enough to keep us stuck at mediocre in the 30-35 win range. Being mediocre with the salary cap situation in the NBA is the worst possible scenario. You are better off sucking like Minny this year and landing a stud high in the draft.

Miller will be an extreemly valuable expriing contract next year even if we do nothing with him this year. We can get the cap room next year by just doing nothing with him if we want. There is no rush to deal him imo. If it's just about tanking games, there's no given with that strategy either.

My feeling is we need Miller unless we have a legitimate replacement to take his spot. I would be more concerned that we move Miller now, we don't get good PG prospect with our draft pick and we can't sign someone like Calderon in the offseason (there not many other options besides him). Then what? How long will it be before we can find a PG for the team. I just think it leaves us with a huge hole at PG and no 100% given plan for replacing him. Do we want to talk about our hole at PG (next year and beyond) like we do our hole at PF now? Oh, I don't see Lou being an effective full-time PG.

Again, I'm not saying don't trade Miller or do trade him. I just see the value he brings to this team even if it does cost us a couple spots in the lottery this year. Besides Beasley, and maybe Rose, I don't think there's a sure thing in this draft. I think you could get as good a player with the 10th pick as you do at 3 or 4. I don't see us being bad enough to get to 1 or 2 unless we luck out in the drawing.
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 480

Post#18 » by Sixercise » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:42 pm

The Sixer Fixer wrote:Miller will be an extreemly valuable expriing contract next year even if we do nothing with him this year. We can get the cap room next year by just doing nothing with him if we want. There is no rush to deal him imo. If it's just about tanking games, there's no given with that strategy either.

Disagree. Iguodala and Lou still need to be accounted for next year because they're expecting their big contracts. You can't take that out of the equation.

If the Sixers really want to hit it big this upcoming offseason, they oughta do something with Miller and/or Green/Evans; trading Korver to gain $10 million in cap space isn't enough to attract a possible max offer (possibly at Elton Brand).

And about tanking games, of course there's no given. But at least with tanking, obviously the Sixers would have a better chance in the lottery.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#19 » by NetsForce » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:19 pm

I'm starting to think that Andre Miller will not be traded this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... FreeAgents

When you look at this year's free agency there are a bunch of good players available, the REALLY good ones are restricted free agents however, so think about it, why not use the cap space the Sixers are going to have AND Miller to get one of these REALLY good free agents? Miller is a solid point guard but instead of gambling on someone like say JOSH SMITH and hoping that the Hawks don't match, why not trade Miller in a package for a newly signed Josh Smith? Or someone else...

I'm just throwing the idea out there but if that's what Stefanski is planning then props to him because at least I believe that it is a smart idea...
sixerdave
Junior
And1: 1

Post#20 » by sixerdave » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:29 am

Wouldn't the other team have to agree to make such a trade work?

I was for keeping Miller when this team was half a game out of the 8th seed, but now that it is 9 games under, I think you have to look to trade Miller. Can you get a couple expirings and a draft pick from Orlando for Miller? Would Miller/Hedo/Lewis/Howard be competitive enough against the Pistons and Celtics?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers