ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,846

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#1061 » by the_process » Sun May 12, 2024 8:06 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:Can't believe people are talking themselves into Paul George yet this forum was adamant against a 29 year old Butler 5 years ago.

And we were wrong about Jimmy and very wrong about Ben.

Being against signing the best FA on the market while pining to sign a bunch of lesser guys feels odd to me.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#1062 » by stormi » Sun May 12, 2024 8:10 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Morey's Backup (George) to the Backup (Butler) Offseason

1. Draft Terrence Shannon Jr. at #16
2. Trade 2026 OKC/HOU 1st, 2028 LAC 1st, & 2029 PHI 1st for Brandon Ingram (3-teamer with ATL?)
3. Sign Klay Thompson (or Gary Trent Jr.), Jonas Valanciunas, and De'Anthony Melton with remaining cap space (~$30 mil)
4. Sign Kyle Anderson with the room exception
5. Sign Kyle Lowry, Cam Payne, Nico Batum, Dario Saric, and Robert Covington with vet mins

Maxey/Payne/Lowry
Thompson/Melton/Council
Ingram/Batum/Shannon
Anderson/Saric/Covington
Embiid/Valanciunas/(#41)

I usually like the teams you build.

I'm pro-ish Ingram. Definitely over Mikal Bridges / Butler.

Anderson with this lineup would fit really well as a big guard in the Batum role.

I'd rather not pay this version of Klay the money he'd be commanding. He can't move laterally anymore. Trent is the better option.

All in all it's alright. I don't think we'd be very athletic, and besides Trent and Anderson to a degree we wouldn't be very good at the POA defensively. Embiid as well, I guess if he can regain a bit of his mobility.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,130

Post#1063 » by Negrodamus » Sun May 12, 2024 8:11 pm

If we had PG13 instead of Tobias, we’d probably be wrapping up Indy right now.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,577

Post#1064 » by GoSixersBro » Sun May 12, 2024 8:16 pm

the_process wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:Can't believe people are talking themselves into Paul George yet this forum was adamant against a 29 year old Butler 5 years ago.

Being against signing the best FA on the market while pining to sign a bunch of lesser guys feels odd to me.

I don't see the fit and I don't see any deficiencies that were glaring in the NY series as well the last 3 playoff exits fixed by George. Just my opinion and I would love to be wrong. I just think it's the latest sexy name of yesteryear that amounts to a different brand of "bounced before the conf finals". After watching this team for 25 years a common theme buying stocks that peaked long ago but not seeing them for what they are present day.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,199

Post#1065 » by mjkvol » Sun May 12, 2024 8:23 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
the_process wrote:

I don't see the fit and I don't see any deficiencies that were glaring in the NY series as well the last 3 playoff exits fixed by George. Just my opinion and I would love to be wrong. I just think it's the latest sexy name of yesteryear that amounts to a different brand of "bounced before the conf finals". After watching this team for 25 years a common theme buying stocks that peaked long ago but not seeing them for what they are present day.

It really is remarkable how many 'past their expiration date' acquisitions the Sixers have made in this century, and with entirely different management throughout. And yet here we are, about to dive in yet again.

But this time, it'll be different. I'm sure of that.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 852

Post#1066 » by zaz102 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:31 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
the_process wrote:

IMO, he would've made a big difference. He's a better rebounder, much better three point shooter, can play better defense than any of our forwards and take over as the top guy / #2 when Embiid is on the bench. All of these contributed to why the Sixers lost.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,278

Post#1067 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun May 12, 2024 8:48 pm

mjkvol wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:
the_process wrote:

It really is remarkable how many 'past their expiration date' acquisitions the Sixers have made in this century, and with entirely different management throughout. And yet here we are, about to dive in yet again.

I'm getting to a point where I'd rather they swing and miss on younger (~25-30 years) players than be guaranteed to fail after signing/trading for an older dude. At least try for a young, athletic, and balanced team.

It's confusing to me because although Morey has always been pro-star hunting, he was typically pro 2-stars (TMac/Yao, Harden/Dwight, Harden/Paul, Harden/Westbrook). I think it would be out of the ordinary for him to build a 3-star team, but that's where all the smoke and rumors are pointing.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#1068 » by FireMorey » Sun May 12, 2024 8:58 pm

The fact that there are so few quality options available to a team with this much cap space and this many picks is an indictment on the league.

I actually think the best option would be Lebron, but that has absolutely zero chance of happening.

I don't want PG, but I'd take him over the overpay for a bunch of role players route.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,610

Post#1069 » by youngcrev » Sun May 12, 2024 9:00 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
youngcrev wrote:I'm calling BS on this forum being against bringing Jimmy back. There were certainly individuals against it, and how the contract would age was a concern (particularly compared to just entering his prime Tobias ..), but I'm pretty sure the majority of people wanted them to sign Jimmy.

Some very strong anti-Jimmy posts before and after he was traded. Won't name any names, but see for yourself.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1813645&hilit=2019

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1861698&hilit=2019

Edit: In the first thread I argued he'd be great into his mid-30s, but that age 34-36 is when players of his caliber break down. Guess I can't be pro-Jimmy or PG13 this summer :lol:

After the trade doesn't count since we all have a way of convincing ourselves of things.

We've got a lot more examples of guys still crushing it in their mid 30s at the moment than we did back then. We're also at a different stage in this thing with Embiid.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,130

Post#1070 » by Negrodamus » Sun May 12, 2024 9:12 pm

I also think the Brett Brown/Ben Simmons aspect of the Butler tenure made a lot of Sixer fan takes look bad. He was totally off ball and nothing like the player he’s been.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,263

Post#1071 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 12, 2024 9:21 pm

Who cares more about basketball: Pal Jorge or DeMar Derozan?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1072 » by mjkvol » Sun May 12, 2024 9:30 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

I'm getting to a point where I'd rather they swing and miss on younger (~25-30 years) players than be guaranteed to fail after signing/trading for an older dude. At least try for a young, athletic, and balanced team.

It's confusing to me because although Morey has always been pro-star hunting, he was typically always pro 2-stars (TMac/Yao, Harden/Dwight, Harden/Paul, Harden/Westbrook). I think it would be out of the ordinary for him to build a 3-star team, but that's where all the smoke and rumors are pointing.

I've been at that point for a while now. Hopefully this is all just that - smoke and rumors.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,104

Post#1073 » by Embiid P » Sun May 12, 2024 9:41 pm

mjkvol wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

It's confusing to me because although Morey has always been pro-star hunting, he was typically always pro 2-stars (TMac/Yao, Harden/Dwight, Harden/Paul, Harden/Westbrook). I think it would be out of the ordinary for him to build a 3-star team, but that's where all the smoke and rumors are pointing.

I've been at that point for a while now. Hopefully this is all just that - smoke and rumors.

True, that's our best chance at fielding a good team for the next 3-5 years. I get that many here want to go the PG-13/Butler (who I would have loved to have had 5, 3, and even 2 years ago) route because of Embiid's "timeline", but let's face it, we've had some of the worst luck ever in acquiring older, over-the-hill star players. Webber, Brand, Bynum (technically wasn't old when we acquired him but might as well have been 105) and Harden are just a few that come to mind. Who was the last vet star we acquired that actually panned out for us? I guess it would be Jimmy even though he was with us for less than a full season. Moses? Man, I wish I could have been alive to see it. :cry:
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#1074 » by mjkvol » Sun May 12, 2024 9:47 pm

Embiid P wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

True, that's our best chance at fielding a good team for the next 3-5 years. I get that many here want to go the PG-13/Butler (who I would have loved to have had 5, 3, and even 2 years ago) route because of Embiid's "timeline", but let's face it, we've had some of the worst luck ever in acquiring older, over-the-hill star players. Webber, Brand, Bynum (technically wasn't old when we acquired him but might as well have been 105) and Harden are just a few that come to mind. Who was the last vet star we acquired that actually panned out for us? Moses? Man, I wish I could have been alive to see it. :cry:

I was and it was otherworldly. The difference is that Moses was in his late prime, and those Sixers were loaded except at center - he was the missing piece.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 560

Post#1075 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:04 am

I'm throwing Paul Reed and all my picks at BI. He's 26 and he's a player I can pair with Maxey and Not rely on Embiid to save us.

Oubre
Batum

Must be resigned for sure.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,863

Post#1076 » by 76ciology » Mon May 13, 2024 4:08 am

UPDATED 2024 NBA cap space projections:

1. DET: $64.4M
2. PHI: $61.3M
3. UTA: $38.3M
4. OKC: $35.3M
5. ORL: $25.2M
6. SAS: $21.3M
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1077 » by 76ciology » Mon May 13, 2024 5:14 am

Another suitable player for us to trade for using our cap space is Kevon Looney; he's one of the league's best rebounders. His statistics indicate that he's a good defensive center who sets great screens for shooters. He only has an $8M per year contract.

His playing time decreased from 27 minutes per game to 12 minutes per game for the Warriors due to the emergence of Trayce Jackson Davis and Dario Saric playing at center.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1078 » by 76ciology » Mon May 13, 2024 5:23 am

Another player we can trade for using our cap space, and potentially get a draft pick or at least a pick swap, is Nikola Vucevic.

He's owed $20 million and has a contract that doesn't expire until 2026. Vucevic is a 20-10 player and would be a suitable big man for Maxey to run the two-man game with during non-Embiid minutes.

Vuc and the pick or pick swap can be a filler for a trade for Lauri or Ingram.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1079 » by 76ciology » Mon May 13, 2024 5:53 am

Kobblehead wrote:Who cares more about basketball: Pal Jorge or DeMar Derozan?

Our feelings can change; we're unsure if Jimmy would continue playing as if he had an expiring contract once he secures a $40 million contract nearing his 40s.

The best approach is to create an environment that makes it easy for players to perform without pushing themselves beyond their limits.

I believe the ideal blueprint for this is the Celtics team, where you don't frequently see Tatum having to carry the team because they can rely on their collective efforts without needing a superhero to rescue them.

Alternatively, you can emulate the Mavericks' model, where players like Kyrie and Doncic can conserve energy on defense, allowing them to devote more energy to carrying the offense throughout the game.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1080 » by 76ciology » Mon May 13, 2024 5:59 am

A better question to ask is, which player would lead us to become a better basketball team?

Derozan might cost $20 million, while George might cost $40 million. Therefore, Derozan could enable you to acquire another player of Derozan's caliber with the remaining $20 million.

While Jimmy cost $40M and while you lose draft picks which you can use to upgrade the overall depth of your team, to acquire him.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers