ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#461 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 1:01 am

Luke Kennard is another guy to keep an eye on. He has a $15m team option which I assume the Grizzlies won't pick up due to potential tax issues. If that happens, maybe we can get him for around $10m per. Rotation-worthy player who jacks tons of 3s without conscience, something we sorely need around Jo and Max.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,607

Post#462 » by NYSixersFan » Sun May 5, 2024 1:02 am

Ok, so here is my plan....

1) I don't want another max player unless it's someone in their prime and actually worth the money. I don't see anyone like that available.

2) I would rather trade assets for younger players on good contracts than overpay high priced free agents.

3) I want to build a team with depth, not have three max guys and a bunch of vet minimums.

So here we go...

My first call is to Brooklyn about Bridges...2nd call is to Utah for Marrkanen.....After we get neither (most likely), let's look at some quality realistic options....

1) Atlanta - I'm very interested in Murray. I like his game and his contract. I'm also checking in on Bogdanovic and De'Andre Hunter.

2) New Orleans - I don't love Ingram, but I would be interested if the price is right...two 1st round picks, but not the Clippers pick.
I would not extend Ingram either. I would also be very interested in CJ McCollum. I've always liked him. Really wanted us to draft him.

3) Portland - Malcolm Brogdon would be a good fit with Maxey. Jerami Grant might be appealing if they were packaged together and we don't have to give up much because they want to get rid of his contract.

4) Chicago - I probably like Zach LaVine more than others and now that he only has 2 years left on the deal, I would be interested....this is assuming he's healthy or is expected to be ready to go by training camp....However, I would only take that contract if we're getting Caruso or Patrick Williams in the deal.

5) Memphis - Marcus Smart

6) Utah - John Collins and possibly Jordan Clarkson. I've always liked John Collins and think he would be a great fit on this team. only 1 year plus a player option left on his deal. Clarkson has 2 years left at reasonable dollars.

7) Golden St. - Andrew Wiggins. I would have some interest, but not giving up more than a 1st round pick (not Clippers).

my ideal situation is to trade for 2-3 guys and sign 1-2 role players in FA..Andre Drummond types.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#463 » by Eyeamok » Sun May 5, 2024 1:07 am

youngcrev wrote:
fkd215 wrote:Re Paul Reed:
1. F--- you/thank you Danny Ainge: your attempt at a poison pill in Reed’s contract ended up giving us some optionality. Too clever by half.
2. I wish we had seen Reed play the 4. It’d be nice to know if he would be more effective there.
3. I don’t want to even think this, but what if Doc was right about Reed?

I think he's a decent backup 5, particularly in a switchable schemes. Losing Harden really hurt his value to the team. I think we're better off with either a stretch big or a traditional rim protector in Maxey-centric lineups.

Both Doc and Nurse saw him play daily and both Doc and Nurse said he could not play PF with Embiid. Sad but true. Now maybe he goes to another team and works on his game and becomes the PF that can rebound and shoot. But it has not happened yet. And I really thought it would.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,203

Post#464 » by M2J » Sun May 5, 2024 1:34 am

youngcrev wrote:
FireMorey wrote:Paul George has been widely reported to be Morey's top target this summer. Just for argument's sake, say the LAC re-sign PG. Who does everyone think becomes Morey's new top target?

Not who you would target if you were him, but who you think he will target if PG is off the board.

I imagine he looks towards a trade, but I bet Klay is way higher on his FA target list than we'd like.

Reed is fine as a minimum player 3rd center. Can't be relied upon. Harden is not coming back. During the season Reed was trash.... In the postseason Doc only played Reed with Maxey, Harden, Harris and Niang or Melton. Meaning...they overloaded the offense to win by three points during those minutes. That line up with an actual productive center should be winning more consistently or just two of those players.

Drummond has to be a priority this year. They literally win the Knicks series with him. He is cheap and allows you to play Joel maybe 36 minutes in a high stakes playoff game..... That means everything for Philly to have fun fresh in the 4th. To be able to rest him during the season as well. The Reed experiment must be over. He is at best a neutral on both ends of the floor and that is not good enough to help build around Maxey's minutes. Neutral is not accurate though. He's trash.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#465 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 1:44 am

I wonder if Jalen Smith can start at PF. Apparently he was in Indy until they acquired Siakam.

Smith at around MLE money ($12m / yr) is a potential breakout candidate if he can start at PF next to Jo, then slide to backup C when Jo is out.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,571

Post#466 » by youngcrev » Sun May 5, 2024 1:45 am

Eyeamok wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
1. F--- you/thank you Danny Ainge: your attempt at a poison pill in Reed’s contract ended up giving us some optionality. Too clever by half.
2. I wish we had seen Reed play the 4. It’d be nice to know if he would be more effective there.

I think he's a decent backup 5, particularly in a switchable schemes. Losing Harden really hurt his value to the team. I think we're better off with either a stretch big or a traditional rim protector in Maxey-centric lineups.

Both Doc and Nurse saw him play daily and both Doc and Nurse said he could not play PF with Embiid. Sad but true. Now maybe he goes to another team and works on his game and becomes the PF that can rebound and shoot. But it has not happened yet. And I really thought it would.

I just don't think he's skilled enough for it. And while I think his ability to defend the perimeter as a center is a plus, I don't think he's necessarily a good perimeter defender if we're going on a grading scale based on any other position.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#467 » by youngcrev » Sun May 5, 2024 2:10 am

M2J wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
FireMorey wrote:Paul George has been widely reported to be Morey's top target this summer. Just for argument's sake, say the LAC re-sign PG. Who does everyone think becomes Morey's new top target?

Not who you would target if you were him, but who you think he will target if PG is off the board.

I imagine he looks towards a trade, but I bet Klay is way higher on his FA target list than we'd like.

Reed is fine as a minimum player 3rd center. Can't be relied upon. Harden is not coming back. During the season Reed was trash.... In the postseason Doc only played Reed with Maxey, Harden, Harris and Niang or Melton. Meaning...they overloaded the offense to win by three points during those minutes. That line up with an actual productive center should be winning more consistently or just two of those players.

Drummond has to be a priority this year. They literally win the Knicks series with him. He is cheap and allows you to play Joel maybe 36 minutes in a high stakes playoff game..... That means everything for Philly to have fun fresh in the 4th. To be able to rest him during the season as well. The Reed experiment must be over. He is at best a neutral on both ends of the floor and that is not good enough to help build around Maxey's minutes. Neutral is not accurate though. He's trash.

I don't think Reed is trash, but he's pretty clearly done here, at least on his current salary. He's an ok backup 5 given the right scheme. Certainly better than Bamba. But ultimately, should probably be a minimum salary guy.

Drummond would be a good add, particularly if it's on a minimum again. Wouldn't mind Love, Dario, Plumlee or Theiss for the role either as minimum salary guys. And then grab someone in the early 2nd.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#468 » by youngcrev » Sun May 5, 2024 2:13 am

Arsenal wrote:I wonder if Jalen Smith can start at PF. Apparently he was in Indy until they acquired Siakam.

Smith at around MLE money ($12m / yr) is a potential breakout candidate if he can start at PF next to Jo, then slide to backup C when Jo is out.

They should be able to get a legit, proven contributor for that amount of money. I don't think Smith has done much to show he's worth a raise on his current salary.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#469 » by ZarcMumoff » Sun May 5, 2024 3:09 am

Two important pieces, as far as the Sixers roster goes:

1. What is the prognosis with Melton's back and how does that impact his market? His cap hold is $15 million, but could Philly get him on something like a 1+1 prove it deal worth $10 million/yearly? Could open up $5 million in cap space if so.

2. Is Kelly Oubre open to doing a Bobby Portis? Come back using the room exception so $8 million, but then getting a 4/64 (rough math) the following year?

If both happen, you have a bit more flexibility.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#470 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 3:15 am

ZarcMumoff wrote:Two important pieces, as far as the Sixers roster goes:

1. What is the prognosis with Melton's back and how does that impact his market? His cap hold is $15 million, but could Philly get him on something like a 1+1 prove it deal worth $10 million/yearly? Could open up $5 million in cap space if so.

2. Is Kelly Oubre open to doing a Bobby Portis? Come back using the room exception so $8 million, but then getting a 4/64 (rough math) the following year?

I’m not paying Melton $10m with his health in question. Vet min with a player option so he keeps his bird rights to get paid in case he bounces back.

Oubre for room exception would be good.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,203

Post#471 » by M2J » Sun May 5, 2024 4:20 am

Arsenal wrote:

I’m not paying Melton $10m with his health in question. Vet min with a player option so he keeps his bird rights to get paid in case he bounces back.

Oubre for room exception would be good.

On a 1 year controlled deal, Melton worth that flyer unless his 1 year deal prevents a better signing.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#472 » by ZarcMumoff » Sun May 5, 2024 4:27 am

Arsenal wrote:

I’m not paying Melton $10m with his health in question.

Well that's why it's the first question 8-)

I won't begin to know what the issue with the back is. They're fickle bitches though. Could be nothing, could be career ending. Hard for us common folk to know without having his medicals. I imagine Morey has a decent idea though.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,797

Post#473 » by 76ciology » Sun May 5, 2024 4:38 am

The landscape may change later, but for now, my vision in building the team is based on these two principles.

First, I aim to create a team that embodies the strengths of both the Celtics and the Nuggets. This means seeking out players who possess the overall talent of the Celtics and the built nature of the Nuggets.

Secondly, I believe that in order to fully utilize the 50-60M cap space, it needs to address solidifying a very strong starting unit by atleast allowing us to add two borderline star players to our starting 5.

Starting with potential moves, I would consider trading for Caruso to using a draft pick and a swap along with cap space. I also think it's crucial for Maxey to play alongside another high IQ guard such as Lowry or Harden. I dont know if Bulls can re-sign Drummond where they can add Drummond to the deal, with possibly Drummond getting the Paul Reed $8M money.

With the remaining 40-50M cap space, my inclination is to invest in Siakam. I like Siakam's ability to bolster our frontcourt alongside Embiid, bringing length and athleticism to help us with interior defense and rebounding. Additionally, he could fill in during non-Embiid minutes, running effective pick and rolls with Embiid.

Furthermore, I plan to re-sign Buddy Hield, Kelly Oubre, Nic Batum, and Cam Payne to maintain a level of continuity within the team.

This would structure our roster as follows:

Starting Lineup:
- Tyrese Maxey
- Alex Caruso (similar to Celts Jrue addition)
- Kelly Oubre (can end games with Batum or Roco)
- Pascal Siakam (similar to Celts KP addition)
- Joel Embiid

I believe this starting five is a hybrid of Celtics and Nuggets qualities, showcasing overall talent, size, build, and scoring power.

With limited assets to fill up for the bench, I intend to re-sign proven players that fit our team like Batum, Hield, and Payne, and I'll make efforts to sign Drummond to further strengthen our roster depth.

Playoff Bench:
Payne = Pritchard
Hauser = Hield
Horford = Batum, Roco or Drummond

Final Roster:

Maxey/Payne
Caruso/Hield
Oubre/Council
Siakam/Batum or Roco?
Embiid/Drummond

I find the roster addressed our current concerns as well as it doesn’t have too much moving parts allowing us for some “continuity”.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#474 » by brannigan73 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:54 am

youngcrev wrote:

I honestly think Paul Reed sucks. Especailly since he reverts to spaz form in the playoffs and cant do anything with the ball. Poor rebounder and one of the smallest centers in the league.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#475 » by brannigan73 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:56 am

Just no on Kyrie Irving. We need a bigger guard to match with Maxey and not a guy who will be looking to superscede Maxey and shoot the ball a ton. Remember the Maverics are Donicic and Irving and besides those two guys Tim Hardaway Jr is the only guy who is aggressive shooting the ball on that team so there are plenty of shots to go around. Kyrie is also a super bad dude. If we want to bring in bad dudes Id rather bring in the guy in Charlotte who slugged his girlfriend lol. He'd be a perfect 4 for the Sixers. A couple of firsts could get it done maybe.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,797

Post#476 » by 76ciology » Sun May 5, 2024 6:15 am

brannigan73 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

I honestly think Paul Reed sucks. Especailly since he reverts to spaz form in the playoffs and cant do anything with the ball. Poor rebounder and one of the smallest centers in the league.

Check his on court NetRtg in the playoffs.

Reed is a reg season player. When giant centers are allowed to play this physical in the playoffs, he’s overpowered.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#477 » by PhillyNj » Sun May 5, 2024 10:41 am

I don’t see the Buddy Hield Love here. Watching him play. Is like there playing in slow motion. He’s constantly the slowest player on the quart. He takes to long to get his shot off and he can’t defend anyone. Buddy is clearly a vet min. Guy now.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#478 » by zaz102 » Sun May 5, 2024 11:41 am

Any interest in DeRozan if we strike out in the offseason on the primary targets, but want to keep our assets for when something opens up?

Doesn't seem like the best fit with Maxey, but might be the best FA player available and might be able to figure the right role with Nurse and possibly Lowry.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#479 » by youngcrev » Sun May 5, 2024 11:44 am

zaz102 wrote:Any interest in DeRozan if we strike out in the offseason on the primary targets, but want to keep our assets for when something opens up?

Doesn't seem like the best fit with Maxey, but might be the best FA player available and might be able to figure the right role with Nurse and possibly Lowry.

I'd have interest at like 20M, but the Bulls are gonna pay him twice that.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,117

Post#480 » by mjkvol » Sun May 5, 2024 12:45 pm

NYSixersFan wrote:Ok, so here is my plan....

1) I don't want another max player unless it's someone in their prime and actually worth the money. I don't see anyone like that available.

2) I would rather trade assets for younger players on good contracts than overpay high priced free agents.

3) I want to build a team with depth, not have three max guys and a bunch of vet minimums.

So here we go...

My first call is to Brooklyn about Bridges...2nd call is to Utah for Marrkanen.....After we get neither (most likely), let's look at some quality realistic options....

1) Atlanta - I'm very interested in Murray. I like his game and his contract. I'm also checking in on Bogdanovic and De'Andre Hunter.

2) New Orleans - I don't love Ingram, but I would be interested if the price is right...two 1st round picks, but not the Clippers pick.
I would not extend Ingram either. I would also be very interested in CJ McCollum. I've always liked him. Really wanted us to draft him.

3) Portland - Malcolm Brogdon would be a good fit with Maxey. Jerami Grant might be appealing if they were packaged together and we don't have to give up much because they want to get rid of his contract.

4) Chicago - I probably like Zach LaVine more than others and now that he only has 2 years left on the deal, I would be interested....this is assuming he's healthy or is expected to be ready to go by training camp....However, I would only take that contract if we're getting Caruso or Patrick Williams in the deal.

5) Memphis - Marcus Smart

6) Utah - John Collins and possibly Jordan Clarkson. I've always liked John Collins and think he would be a great fit on this team. only 1 year plus a player option left on his deal. Clarkson has 2 years left at reasonable dollars.

7) Golden St. - Andrew Wiggins. I would have some interest, but not giving up more than a 1st round pick (not Clippers).

my ideal situation is to trade for 2-3 guys and sign 1-2 role players in FA..Andre Drummond types.

I like the three principles of your plan, but I have zero interest in Lavine, and am very wary of Ingram and Wiggins. Smart would have to come incredibly cheap.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers