ImageImageImage

Game 3: Trailblazers @ Sixers 10/29 @ 7:30 pm ET Home Opener Game Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,883

Re: Game 3: Trailblazers @ Sixers 10/29 @ 7:30 pm ET Home Opener Game Thread 

Post#121 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:11 am

What can you guys say about Scoot Henderson?

As a guard, no matter how elite your other skillsets are, you’re not that good if you can’t shoot.

The big difference between Maxey and Scoot is just the ability to shoot. But if both are in the draft, most experts would still prefer Scoot over Maxey.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,104

Post#122 » by Embiid P » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:50 am

76ciology wrote:What can you guys say about Scoot Henderson?

As a guard, no matter how elite your other skillsets are, you’re not that good if you can’t shoot.

The big difference between Maxey and Scoot is just the ability to shoot. But if both are in the draft, most experts would still prefer Scoot over Maxey.

I love Maxey but remember he couldn't shoot when he first entered the league. He's also in his 4th season whereas Scoot is a rookie.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,883

Post#123 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:55 am

Embiid P wrote:

I love Maxey but remember he couldn't shoot when he first entered the league. He's also in his 4th season whereas Scoot is a rookie.

Maxey talked about it on his podcast in Jj. He said he has always been a good shooter in HS and its his role and nature in college that affected his shooting. As a rookie, Maxey has shown signs being a good shooter. Doc mentioned how he saw Maxey knocking shots in practice so he gave him to greenlight to let it fly.

Scoot on the other hand has been questionable with his shooting since HS. He has even had bad misses with G League ignite.

But yeah, Maxey’s on a hot streak. Its just the Blazers. I dont know if he can sustain it. But seems like he can or atleast near this level. On the other hand, Scoot is very young and there’s a lot of seasons in front of him.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#124 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:39 am

Shaeden Sharpe is very impressive. Portland just has an awful team with no structure. I personally think Billups is a God-awful coach, but the talent is definitely there with Sharpe.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,235

Post#125 » by mjkvol » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:59 am

Last night was like an organized scrimmage. Portland is awful, and despite some big time talent in the backcourt is a tank job waiting to happen. Really disappointed to not see Springer or Reed with Embiid, and I hope that isn't a harbinger of how Nurse wants to play it. I'm hoping like hell that we're showcasing Tucker for a deal.

Oh, and Maxey is a bonafide stud. Yeah, he'll come back to earth a bit with regard to shooting %, but the kid has improved his passing, and has clearly worked hard on his defense. He has arrived.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#126 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:23 am

We definitely need to build around Maxey.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#127 » by sodmoraes » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:28 am

76ciology wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

Maxey talked about it on his podcast in Jj. He said he has always been a good shooter in HS and its his role and nature in college that affected his shooting. As a rookie, Maxey has shown signs being a good shooter. Doc mentioned how he saw Maxey knocking shots in practice so he gave him to greenlight to let it fly.

Scoot on the other hand has been questionable with his shooting since HS. He has even had bad misses with G League ignite.

But yeah, Maxey’s on a hot streak. Its just the Blazers. I dont know if he can sustain it. But seems like he can or atleast near this level. On the other hand, Scoot is very young and there’s a lot of seasons in front of him.

I think Maxey 3 pt % will probably suffer a little, being in the 37-40% range this year, since he will try to up his volume to 6-8 3pa per game, taking more dificult shots. If he can keep his percentage above 40%, shooting more than 8 3s per game, he´s in the Dame and Curry territory as one of the best shooters in the game.
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,678

Post#128 » by Jailblazers7 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:17 pm

My only question for Maxey is can he keep up this FT rate? Everything else he’s doing right now I’m confident he can maintain. Sure he’s not gonna shoot 55% from 3 for the season but it will be some elite percentage.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Post#129 » by Negrodamus » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:04 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:My only question for Maxey is can he keep up this FT rate? Everything else he’s doing right now I’m confident he can maintain. Sure he’s not gonna shoot 55% from 3 for the season but it will be some elite percentage.

I feel like he’s always been one to take contact but now he’s finally getting the respect of the officials.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,496

Post#130 » by Eyeamok » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:35 pm

76ciology wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

Maxey could shoot his first 2 years in the league? Really because all I recall is Maxey throwing up floaters. One after the other after the other. But I could be wrong.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,375

Post#131 » by Arsenal » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:06 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:My only question for Maxey is can he keep up this FT rate? Everything else he’s doing right now I’m confident he can maintain. Sure he’s not gonna shoot 55% from 3 for the season but it will be some elite percentage.

I don't see why not. Everything he's doing out there in terms of being aggressive and drawing contact looks sustainable. Obviously he may not average 10 FTA / 100 like he is now, but that overall number will remain high, just like his 3PT%, even if it regresses from the first 3 games.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,620

Post#132 » by youngcrev » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:17 pm

My only concern with Maxey right now as the #1 perimeter threat is his ability to create against long, athletic defenders. Guys with enough speed that he can't blow by and enough length that he can't create as much separation.

There was a possession last night where he had Camara on him and just couldn't make anything happen and ended up taking a highly contested mid range fadeaway that he me thinking we could be in trouble if someone like Tatum was guarding him for a series. Of course, he incredibly made the shot I'm talking about, so maybe I'm overthinking it.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#133 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:11 pm

Maxey has shown passion and tons of improvement, unlike Embiid (in playoffs) and especially Simmons. I'm not worried about his offense at all. When you have a player that consistently improves, this is THE player you keep and build around. Will be 23 years old soon, still very young and with room to improve, unlike many other players we have on the team.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,284

Post#134 » by Kobblehead » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:11 pm

The thing is, Anfernee Simons is an athletic freak in his own right who CAN shoot and they already have him locked up longterm. So they didn't need a G. It was a weird pick.

Scoot is very strong and athletically explosive, but his defense sucks right now and looks completely skill-less shooting the ball. I hope he has a great mindset and work ethic. Otherwise, the Blazers might be stuck with a stinker (like a Dennis Smith Jr. type).
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,843

Post#135 » by phillynative » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:06 pm

youngcrev wrote:My only concern with Maxey right now as the #1 perimeter threat is his ability to create against long, athletic defenders. Guys with enough speed that he can't blow by and enough length that he can't create as much separation.

There was a possession last night where he had Camara on him and just couldn't make anything happen and ended up taking a highly contested mid range fadeaway that he me thinking we could be in trouble if someone like Tatum was guarding him for a series. Of course, he incredibly made the shot I'm talking about, so maybe I'm overthinking it.

I agree but I'm optimistic because of the work he's put in and the immediate improvements we have seen.

1. He has already improved his shooting and range which means bigger guys will have to choose between staying up on him or give him room, so he doesn't speed by them. Which brings me to number 2.

2. Coming in to the league he didn't have much shot creation off the dribble. He was more of a speedy slasher, if his initial move was cut off he didn't have a counter. Over the summer he's obviously worked on it and I see he has added a rhythm/set up dribble to keep defenders off balance which is crucial when being defended by top defenders in the league. I think the counter dribbles and moves will come with more reps and experience with the ball.

3. He's small but his frame is solid and it looks like he can get stronger. He's not explosive but he is a good athlete that is quick and can get off the floor quick. (His build and athleticism reminds me of kyrie).He should continue to learn how to draw fouls to offset some of the size differences of bigger players guarding him or being physical . Lillard game against us was a great example. That's not naturally his game because he's so use to beating guys with his speed but I think it can come with time.

4. I'f the sixers are serious about building around Maxey moving forward. They are going to have to add longer and more athletic players around him. Like you said if Maxey is carrying us offensively and he's cooking his man and say they decide to put Tatum/ Butler/ Middleton or one of those guys on him. Than the sixers should have the ability to make them pay with whoever that player was taken off of. Right now the sixers don't have that ability with Melton and Tuckers limitations at guard and wing.
For example . Let's say Nuggets and Suns are in the western Finals. Booker is cooking Pope so they put Gordon on him. Now who's guarding KD? Porter Jr has the size but he's not the defender that Gordon is.
Oubre is a start you have to account for his athleticism and scoring ability. But ideally he is not a starter and the SG and Forward spots need to be filled in with players that fit better next to Maxey and Embiid. It's similar to what happen last season with Embiid and the Celtics double lineup in the playoffs. The sixers were unable to make them pay for playing that double lineup because of our roster construction(weak at PF) and in turn it was effective in slowing Embiid down.

Long Post my bad

Return to Philadelphia 76ers