ImageImageImageImage

"Official" I hate Otis thread

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#61 » by theTHIEF » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:38 pm

im not a kid...
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 919

Post#62 » by mattyBoi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:38 pm

Are you freaking blind?
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#63 » by EasternMagic » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:39 pm

TooNice00 wrote:come on people you are ridiculous. i wanted someone like haslem and wilcox too. but come on you act lilke those players were gonna put us over the top.

well they definitely could have helped, but people act like we can just throw pat garrity at them and get them. i know for a fact that out expirings couldnt get haslem no way riles was gonna give US him. and obviously expirings werent enough for wilcox, who i never believed was on the block regardless
Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Post#64 » by Just Plain Mark » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:40 pm

I certainly don't hate Otis, even jokingly. But I am concerned that he remained inactive not because there were no good deals, but because he was afraid.

Considering what he said about trading the 3rd string point guard to improve the team, I think that there probably was a deal worth doing, but he was afraid.

And if people shouldn't critize Otis because they don't know the whole story, Otis shouldn't get a pass or get any credit from people who don't know the whole story.
mattyBoi
Head Coach

Post#65 » by mattyBoi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:40 pm

Is it just me or is it pretty funny when people brag about Evans being our starter.
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#66 » by MagicHolland » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:40 pm

thEthIEf wrote:we dont know...but we do know that there were deals...i know for a fact that the Blazers were talking to the Magic...and i bet it included Jack/Frye...but i digress here...we cannot bash him for things we dont know...so people will say "why didnt you get Wilcox you moron" when they dont have any idea how serious a Wilcox trade was, or even if Wilcox was ever being shopped...as long as you have Ford's/Buchers/SAS/Vecey's you're going to hear a ton of B/S....

however, we are rich in expirings and teams, especially this year were looking...we had a chance to add at least one rotation piece for a few expirings and we blew it...Otis...Otis...Otis...

Agreed, and yes I definately would've liked some change. But people on here are overreacting imo.. You hate a guy for not making a deal you don't even know even exists? You want his email so you can tell him how much he sucks? Stuff like that makes me sick.

I still think that Otis has done a decent job overall. And when Otis says "I like our team" I agree with him, I do too. Off course it can be better, and we may have wasted a golden opportunity, or other teams are unwilling to help us out like West did with the Lakers..
D12Howard
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#67 » by D12Howard » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:41 pm

haha, hoopsworld.com is a joke:

"A league source told The Post the Knicks and Orlando discussed trades in recent days involving their two backup point guards, Carlos Arroyo and Keyon Dooling, but were in a stalemate. Arroyo is a prototype European passing point guard, a 28-year-old from Puerto Rico who has been in and out of the Magic's rotation."

A prototype passing point guard? Do they watch the Magic play? Chuck does nothing but shoot horrible shoots and look like a clown on the floor. Why did we not trade this scrub? I would trade for a Minnesota Timberwolves water boy to get rid of #30....
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#68 » by mhectorgato » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:43 pm

cmor42180 wrote:man too many kids on here bashing otis, just because he didnt jump on the first offer around? anyone think maybe there wasnt a good enough deal to be made? anyone think maybe jj may be better than we all think and otis is planning on playing him next year after our expirings are gone? yes we have expiring contracts, yes garrity is a waste of space but if there isnt a good enough offer out there then dont take it

and you can all bash otis but the worst thing i think he did was let darko walk, but look at what darko is doing now....nothing! hes no better than he was, so not paying him the 8-10 mil a year like he wanted was a smart move....he traded ariza for cook and evans, now ariza is benched with an injury (that he had in orlando) and evans is basically starting and cook has some good games too. he signed shard to an overpaid contract, but with shard here we are a better team than last year, not worth the money but we are doing better, all you otis haters need to wake up and really look at this and stop crying because we didnt pull off some worthless trade

The issue for me is that we're effectively only going to have the MLE available for the next few seasons to maneuver. For any player that can be traded we have Turk or Jameer. Jameer is core as per Otis, and so likely is Turk.

The "reports" are that Otis didn't want to part with the pick or JJ. If that is the truth then it was a poor move on Otis' part.

I think he's made some good moves, as you brought out. What's frustrating to me is that we appeared to have squandered a good opportunity to make good use of our assets.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#69 » by EasternMagic » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:44 pm

Thief you said we couldve gotten frye and jack. do you know how possible that was i wouldve loved to have that happen
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#70 » by MagicalMan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:44 pm

craig01 wrote:I don't hate Otis.

Because the Magic are winning, he'll not go anywhere.

I am not unhappy that nothing was done by today.

I was more fearful of what "might" have been done, given Smith's and the Magic track record.

I have very little faith in Otis however.

Well The Spurs, Suns, and Lakers are good teams and managed to make trades to make them even better. I dont see how "were winning" has any bearing on making this team better.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#71 » by magicman123 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:45 pm

i find it amazing that we didnt do anything with $13-17mill in expirings, with several needs, most importantly a big, plus the fact that many teams were looking to rebuild..oh well cook will be a monster in the playoffs :(
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#72 » by MJallday59 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:45 pm

cmor42180 wrote:man too many kids on here bashing otis, just because he didnt jump on the first offer around? anyone think maybe there wasnt a good enough deal to be made? anyone think maybe jj may be better than we all think and otis is planning on playing him next year after our expirings are gone? yes we have expiring contracts, yes garrity is a waste of space but if there isnt a good enough offer out there then dont take it

and you can all bash otis but the worst thing i think he did was let darko walk, but look at what darko is doing now....nothing! hes no better than he was, so not paying him the 8-10 mil a year like he wanted was a smart move....he traded ariza for cook and evans, now ariza is benched with an injury (that he had in orlando) and evans is basically starting and cook has some good games too. he signed shard to an overpaid contract, but with shard here we are a better team than last year, not worth the money but we are doing better, all you otis haters need to wake up and really look at this and stop crying because we didnt pull off some worthless trade

I see what you're saying...but

He signed Rashard to an 100 million dollar contract and only getting an MLE's worth out of him

He let Darko walk....and you're right he should have...but he could have gotten something from him....well maybe

He trade Ariza who is going to be a stud for Cook and Evans....
You're right he is injured now...but after he left... can you honestly say that you weren't a little upset after watching him have those 15 5 5 games???

You're right...I am a little shocked that he didn't make a move...
his excuse was that he didn't want to hurt our future. Can you honestly see Maurice Evans/Brian Cook/Arroyo/Garrity in our future?? I don't think so....
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#73 » by theTHIEF » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:46 pm

my person said that those were 2 pieces that the Blazers would be looking to package...but did not say that these were offered to the Magic...i just guessed...
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#74 » by theTHIEF » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:48 pm

omg, the Darko/Ariza stuff? seriously...my god, some of you people need to get educated...
mattyBoi
Head Coach

Post#75 » by mattyBoi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Pretty much every fan around the NBA knows how awful Otis is.

Then id say about 75% of Magic fans are beginning to realize how awful he is.

But you still have the real Homer fans or the plain delusional who are still drinking otis' Kool-Aid.

His "Plan" has turned into nothing.
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#76 » by MagicHolland » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:48 pm

mattyBoi wrote:You have to much faith in Otis buddy...Hope you like the 1st round of the playoffs for the next 5 years

And at the end of it a very unhappy Dwight Howard.

Dwight Howard, LA.

LA, Dwight Howard.

A place where you can get unlimited attention and endorsements

The owner and GM actually care about the fans and want to put a championship product on the floor.

To me this posts shows that you're just frustrated with not making a deal right now. I will make a guarantee to you that if this team stays together we will make it past the first round within 2 years, probably this year. We're not in third in the East for nothing..
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#77 » by MJallday59 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Cavs get Wally/ Big Ben
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#78 » by orlando1214 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:49 pm

Fire Otis..... and then bring back GABE!!!!
TooNice00
Banned User

Post#79 » by TooNice00 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:50 pm

his plan has turned into a 50 win season. people act like we are headed to the finals with someone like haslem or wilcox.
mttingly2391
Sophomore

Post#80 » by mttingly2391 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Thief: you are right. We don't know what was on the table. But we do know what we had: expirings. And we did nothing with them.

I don't want to touch the Darko comment beause I still think Otis screwed that up. He did just average 11ppg, 10.6rpg, and 2bpg over a 5 game stretch. But I don't want to get into that.

Return to Orlando Magic