ImageImageImageImage

Sweet Homerism

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Sweet Homerism 

Post#1 » by Cigamodnalro » Tue Jan 1, 2008 3:25 pm

What kind of Coach of the Year list has Mike Woodson on it and no SVG?

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports ... _1230.html
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#2 » by damo[23] » Tue Jan 1, 2008 3:34 pm

Sigh.

I still dont rate Doc Rivers, while the Celtics have notched now more wins already than they did all last year its clearly down to the fact they added in KG and RA not that Doc Rivers suddenly figured out how to coach. Play the big 3 for 40 mins and you'll probably get results, well until the post season when they are all shattered from 40 mins a game for 82 games while Detroit or SA have taken it easy as per in the reg.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,209

Post#3 » by Max Power » Tue Jan 1, 2008 3:53 pm

You know, I like Doc Rivers, and always have. But no coach with a three spot of KG, Allen and Paul Pierce should even be in coach of the year conversations. Now if it were the same Pierce, Green, Delonte West hack group of last year and they had 25 wins already I'd say yes.

SVG should be in the conversation, most people don't consider the Magic's lineup that powerful. The 16-5 road record should have him at number 1 in my view.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,447

Post#4 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Jan 1, 2008 6:24 pm

Doc basically lucked out in Boston when Ainge went out and got KG and Allen. Now he's riding them to victory and can sit back and let everyone give him credit for "meshing" them well. Doc has always been one of the most overrated coaches in the league, we all learned that when he was here. It's only a matter of time before others realize it too (I think Boston fans know it, but they don't have to worry about it with the big 3).
MagicFan3
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#5 » by MagicFan3 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 7:01 pm

Doc and Woodson are just lucky they have talented players to work with. Until KG and Ray showed up in Boston, Doc was on the chopping block. Woodson has always been a top candidate to be fired until now.

SVG is the only coach that stands out as truly improving his team, because let's face it: if we still had Hill as our coach, even with adding Rashard, we would not be a top 5 team in the East.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#6 » by magicfan4life05 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:03 pm

man i wish the sentinel gave that kinda love to the hometown team...
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,287

Post#7 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:55 am

I know your not speaking for pure factual argument. But the Big 3 don't play 40 mpg.

KG plays 35 mpg.

That's 4mpg less then D-12.

4 mpg less then Shard.

And 3 mpg less then Hedo.

Ray allen and Pierce do play 38 mpg though. Your right there. They play about the same as your big 2 and Shard.

Teh spurs are much much better. And DET is clearly better. But sides the dynasty and DET, compared to other teams BOS is resting their big guy during the regular season.
oakfanintheeast
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#8 » by oakfanintheeast » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:28 am

Nate McMillan, hands down.
Bucs80
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#9 » by Bucs80 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:30 am

oakfanintheeast wrote:Nate McMillan, hands down.

and in the western conference too :nod:

and without Oden, plus a young team.
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.
Dynasty22
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Dynasty22 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:50 pm

My rule of thumb with COY is that it's mutually exclusive with the Executive of the Year. This year Ainge is clearly the winner, no debates about it, so therefore Doc couldn't be the reason why they are winning so much.

One thing that I do give him respect for is instilling that defense is the key to success. I expected that team to simply try and outscore people based on talent, but they are one of the better defensive teams in the league.
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#11 » by lovehoops01 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:03 pm

Dynasty22 wrote:My rule of thumb with COY is that it's mutually exclusive with the Executive of the Year. This year Ainge is clearly the winner, no debates about it, so therefore Doc couldn't be the reason why they are winning so much.

One thing that I do give him respect for is instilling that defense is the key to success. I expected that team to simply try and outscore people based on talent, but they are one of the better defensive teams in the league.

I think KG has a lot to do with that, too. He's been in the league long enough that he is sick of losing and he polices them on the court to make sure that they play defense. If they don't, he gets right on them. And because both Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are sick of losing, too, they will listen to him. That's the beauty of that trio. They have a killer instinct, and when they get an opponent down, they step on their throatss. They all have had some level of success in the league but not enough to make them happy so they will go all out to do everything they are capable of doing to try to win a title now. (Ray Allen still isn't a great defender, but Pierce is playing much better defense than he has the past few years because Garnett demands that he does.) That is one thing that is hard on teams whose stars are not close to retirement without winning a title yet. They just don't understand how hard you have to play all the time to be successful until they've had a bunch of time in the league and they figure they have their whole careers so there isn't as much urgency.

Return to Orlando Magic