ImageImageImageImage

Who would you rather we go after this offseason?

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Which guard/s do yall want?

Malik Monk
14%
Klay Thompson
5%
Paul George
10%
Dejounte Murray
20%
Trae Young
11%
Devin Booker
11%
Tyus Jones
5%
More than 1 of them
16%
None of them
8%

Total votes: 88

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Re: Who would you rather we go after this offseason? 

Post#101 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 6:35 pm

Knightro wrote:I get the *idea* of signing Klay.

He's a battle-tested veteran who can succeed without needing the basketball all that much. He wouldn't cost anything asset wise other than money, and he likely would be coming off the books before Paolo's second contract even kicked in.

On paper he's a clear upgrade from Gary and he's also the one free agent that would upset the existing apple cart the least.

But signing Klay and slotting him into Gary's spot is putting a LOT of faith into Paolo and Franz's (and to a lesser extent Suggs) respective developments as primary playmakers. Probably more faith than is warranted at this point in time.
Yeah, you nailed the logic. It's a vote of confidence in the core and in Jett and AB.

My thinking is that the pre-extension cap space is a vital but not critical tool in building out the roster. It can definitely accelerate the team's improvement, but the key driver of that improvement is going to come from the lotto talent.

So bet on them and put them in the best position to succeed. To me, Klay ticks the most boxes, for all the reasons you mentioned.
magicfan217
Lead Assistant
And1: 985

Post#102 » by magicfan217 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:47 pm

There isn't a "slam dunk" fit in free agency. Creator/Shooter/Defender that plays the guard (preferably lead guard) is the perfect fit. That player isn't out there in free agency.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,811

Post#103 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 6:48 pm

eyriq wrote:Yeah, you nailed the logic. It's a vote of confidence in the core and in Jett and AB.

My thinking is that the pre-extension cap space is a vital but not critical tool in building out the roster. It can definitely accelerate the team's improvement, but the key driver of that improvement is going to come from the lotto talent.

So bet on them and put them in the best position to succeed. To me, Klay ticks the most boxes, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Swapping Klay for Fultz/Gary's salary slot is the most seamless "we really like what we have and want it to continue in it's present form" that they could make.

I just question how much better it actually makes them for next year.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,240

Post#104 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 6:57 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Yeah, you nailed the logic. It's a vote of confidence in the core and in Jett and AB.

Swapping Klay for Fultz/Gary's salary slot is the most seamless "we really like what we have and want it to continue in it's present form" that they could make.

I just question how much better it actually makes them for next year.

It doesn’t really. It gives them a reason for “addition by subtraction” by getting rid of Gary and Fultz.

The biggest addition with Klay isn’t on the court IMO.. it would be having Jett and Houstan learn something from him. Just not sure that’s worth the price tag of relying on a guy that’s basically cooked defensively.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,811

Post#105 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 7:12 pm

MagicMatic wrote:It doesn’t really. It gives them a reason for “addition by subtraction” by getting rid of Gary and Fultz.

The biggest addition with Klay isn’t on the court IMO.. it would be having Jett and Houstan learn something from him. Just not sure that’s worth the price tag of relying on a guy that’s basically cooked defensively.

That's kind of how I feel about it too.

I just don't think Klay moves the needle all that much with how much he's lost defensively.

And he obviously does absolutely nothing to address the team's lack of ball handling and playmaking from their backcourt.

Basically having Klay as your main signing is putting full confidence in Paolo and Franz's ability to improve as playmakers in the halfcourt.

And I'm not confident they're going to make the kind of gains needed this offseason for the Magic to "level up".
pinoynurse
Bench Warmer
And1: 362

Post#106 » by pinoynurse » Mon May 6, 2024 7:29 pm

I honestly think klay is just using us as leverage to get GS to up their offer
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#107 » by ogmagicfan » Mon May 6, 2024 7:34 pm

pinoynurse wrote:I honestly think klay is just using us as leverage to get GS to up their offer

I feel that way too because it seems like every week there's a report announcing that Klay & the Magic have interest in each other

It's way too constant of a thing to at this point not be his agent pushing these stories out, and they must be desperate too because of how often they keep pushing this story to media
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#108 » by ogmagicfan » Mon May 6, 2024 7:37 pm

I don't see us going after Simons, because he is the worst defender in the league, cant play PG, & we would have to trade for him instead of signing him

Malik Monk is practically Simons with better defense (still mediocre), better passer, and we can sign him outright instead of trading for him and giving up assets in the process.

I cant see any scenario where it makes sense for us to trade for Simons
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,131

Post#109 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 7:40 pm

I really dont want to be paying Klay 30+ mill/yr. I have a ton of respect for what he's accomplished, and fighting back from his injuries, but I dont think he's a starter anymore. We can do better.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 130

Post#110 » by byeganyo » Mon May 6, 2024 8:02 pm

Knightro wrote:
byeganyo wrote:Klay knees are done. Signing him will kill us. This was the first year he shot bellow 40% from 3 (not counting the injured season) and he is not positive defender anymore.

Klay's TS% was higher this year than it was five years ago in his last all-star season.

Nine 3PTA per game at .387 is better than seven 3PTA per game at .402.

2018-19 NBA's TS was .560, Klay - .570, this season the league TS is .580, Klay's - .576

SO he has gone from above average to bellow average leaguewise.

Klay obviously has benefitted from better spacing in his career so far than what we could offer too. If we sign him, it will be an obvious mistake, a mistake that we'll all agree on 5-6 months later.

I'd be happy if some GSW fans that watch him more regularly gave us their 5 cents.
Redwood
Freshman
And1: 76

Post#111 » by Redwood » Mon May 6, 2024 8:21 pm

I said it last offseason and I'll say it again, I think we should bring Dwight back and give him 15-20 mpg. I believe he was sitting behind the bench during game 6, I think he'd like to come back and would sign for cheap.

As for the poll I voted Murray. I'm fully in favor of moving on from Harris, Fultz, and Anthony.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,195

Post#112 » by zaymon » Mon May 6, 2024 8:26 pm

After watching playoffs i am more willing to do a trade than before becouse:
A: Its less likely JI is part of our best finishing lineup.
B: I still cant imagine we will finish with both Suggs and Black.
C: Paolo is generational scorer but not generational passer. He cant make good consistent reads even surrounded by shooters. At least for now.

I divide players into those worth using assets and those not worth using assets. To me only Trae and Booker are moving the needle enough. Young more than Booker becouse he is offensive system on his own and Booker just struggled with team composed of elite scorers.
I would trade Suggs+JI+Carter+picks for any of them. I doubt Booker is available but Suggs/Beal/JI/Durant/Carter makes some sense for them. Similar with Hawks Murray/Suggs/Johnson/JI/WCJ. Maybe we could switch Black with Suggs, but those two trades make the most sense with dispensable assets (although it would hurt to trade Suggs).

From free agents its kind of depending on price. I would propably prefer PG, than Jones, than Monk, than Dlo.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,240

Post#113 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 8:36 pm

Redwood wrote:I said it last offseason and I'll say it again, I think we should bring Dwight back and give him 15-20 mpg. I believe he was sitting behind the bench during game 6, I think he'd like to come back and would sign for cheap.

As for the poll I voted Murray. I'm fully in favor of moving on from Harris, Fultz, and Anthony.

Dwight Howard isn’t better than Goga at this point in his career. He’s 38, 39 in December, with a bad back.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,794

Post#114 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 8:40 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Redwood wrote:I said it last offseason and I'll say it again, I think we should bring Dwight back and give him 15-20 mpg. I believe he was sitting behind the bench during game 6, I think he'd like to come back and would sign for cheap.

Dwight Howard isn’t better than Goga at this point in his career. He’s 38, 39 in December, with a bad back.

If he could play at an NBA level...someone would have grabbed his dumb ass by now. No thanks - not a guy that would humbly fade into the bench mob and I don't value his veteran wisdom. Not hard feelings about him leaving...he was a dope even when he was good.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,563

Post#115 » by Bensational » Mon May 6, 2024 9:17 pm

Brogdon would be an easy target. Can play starting guard or be a high level 6th man if needed. Can’t imagine Portland getting a big haul for him as an expiring contract.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,234

Post#116 » by cedric76 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:19 pm

Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Redwood
Freshman
And1: 76

Post#117 » by Redwood » Mon May 6, 2024 9:41 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

Overseas he was playing like 35 mpg. Quality isn't the same (but it's closer given how comically bad the NBA is today), but concerning his back, you don't play the minutes he was if his back is an issue. Give him a cheap, non-guaranteed deal and see if he can chip in some rebounds and defense. Even if it's just to test out during the preseason to see how he looks, no risk in trying.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,794

Post#118 » by Skybox » Tue May 7, 2024 12:46 am

Redwood wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Overseas he was playing like 35 mpg. Quality isn't the same

That's where you should have stopped. Healthy or not - NO.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,208

Post#119 » by Max Power » Tue May 7, 2024 1:09 am

I like Klay it makes sense to sign him on alllevels but I think the Magic need a younger guard to fit in with the Magics youth movement. Trae Young gives them everything they need offensively so I’d look to trade for him. As for bigs, I’d like to see a Nik Claxton or Daniel Gafford brought in. Those guys could all really help the team level up next year.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#120 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 1:40 am

How is George losing this vote? He is the best player on the list. Shouldn't Orlando "want the best"?

Return to Orlando Magic