ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1541 » by RichCollab » Sun May 5, 2024 10:11 pm

I’m not a Harden fan. But offense would be in a completely different league.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#1542 » by Knightro » Sun May 5, 2024 10:13 pm

Bobby Marks floated the idea of signing both Tyus Jones and Klay Thompson in his offseason primer piece.

Which… I guess?
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1543 » by RichCollab » Sun May 5, 2024 10:16 pm

Knightro wrote:Bobby Marks floated the idea of signing both Tyus Jones and Klay Thompson in his offseason primer piece.

Which… I guess?

Tyus is an upgrade but doesn’t seem like a core piece.

I would prefer adding a core piece in the shape of a guard next to Suggs, Franz, and Paolo.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#1544 » by PrimeThyme » Sun May 5, 2024 10:26 pm

I don't know if people factor in the Paolo and Murray stuff enough. I mean, this is a dude who couldn't handle Paolo being the best player to come out of his state before he even played a single game in the NBA. I can't really imagine him happily deferring to Paolo as the number two option on the same team.

Young is costly and has more glaring limitations, but I really do think he's a better fit in all other areas.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,566

Post#1545 » by eyriq » Sun May 5, 2024 10:28 pm

Question for the forum, what is the optimal strategy for this off-season that positions us well for next season while balancing future season performance as well?
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#1546 » by bigdogdylan5 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:34 pm

Knightro wrote:Bobby Marks floated the idea of signing both Tyus Jones and Klay Thompson in his offseason primer piece.

Which… I guess?

I think you see what’s available on the trade market. If nothing materializes I would like the idea of signing Tyus jones to a similar deal as ingles big for one year with a team option. I am sure he will want two+ years. I just think everyone wants this huge massive swing when I think the front office will want to give Black and Jett a chance. Reading into Weltman’s comments at the end of the year I think he is focused on trade market but is very much content not forcing anything. Tyus Jones would be a bandaid
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,078

Post#1547 » by SOUL » Sun May 5, 2024 10:38 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:I don't know if people factor in the Paolo and Murray stuff enough. I mean, this is a dude who couldn't handle Paolo being the best player to come out of his state before he even played a single game in the NBA. I can't really imagine him happily deferring to Paolo as the number two option on the same team.

I think people overrate that, personally. Nothing will humble players quicker than being on an ass team and not tasting winning and getting empty stats. If you're winning together, that quells a lot of issues. Now if there is a personal beef OUTSIDE of ball, maybe there's something there.. but if it's all ball related, it's nothing they couldn't hash out.. hell, there's way too many examples of players that couldn't stand each other but were dominant on the court.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 130

Post#1548 » by byeganyo » Sun May 5, 2024 10:39 pm

eyriq wrote:Question for the forum, what is the optimal strategy for this off-season that positions us well for next season while balancing future season performance as well?

PG13 on 3 year contract - scoring from the wing, defense, experience, then in 2026-27 if he has declined, we use his big expiring contract plus draft picks, promising players and so on for a trade, getting a player that keeps us competitve, whoever they may be.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,563

Post#1549 » by Bensational » Sun May 5, 2024 10:53 pm

eyriq wrote:Question for the forum, what is the optimal strategy for this off-season that positions us well for next season while balancing future season performance as well?

If the right big deal comes along I’m sure the front office look at it, but my guess is:

- trade our 1st + Cole for Brogdon
- Fultz, Harris, Ingles allowed to walk or resigned as cheap deep bench pieces.
- sign Hartenstein

Hartenstein/WCJ
Paolo/MoWag
Franz/Isaac/Houstan
Suggs/Jett
Brogdon/Black

Give the young guys some more time to grow into their roles but with a little more help. Maintain cap space for the deadline and 2026 offseason for additions when the right deal arises.

Need some more time to see how much more growth Suggs, Black and Jett have.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#1550 » by bigdogdylan5 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:57 pm

The optimal thing is they can swing for an upside guard who can play on ball and off. Is that realistic? Not sure I see that fit out there. The next most optimal is Black keeps working on his shooting and can start getting playmaking reps off the bench which with good play he can earn that starting role going into third year or during his second. I think Mosley really likes Black but he turned away from him for experience. This is where Tyus Jones comes in sign him to a two year deal keeping that salary slot with him being a bridge to Black. Get rid of Harris and let Houston and Jett fight it out for those minutes. I am sure everyone will throw out names that will be very expensive. The most optimal level up for this team will be internal improvement. That includes Suggs Wagner and Paolo. I think you need to look at a shooter/score

Lastly think need to take a long look at Isaac too. If you’re going with a ball handling core of Paolo Franz and Black for the future you need almost every other position to be a shooter. I would love to stagger Paolo and Franz with shooter in other forward spot.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#1551 » by Knightro » Sun May 5, 2024 11:22 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:I don't know if people factor in the Paolo and Murray stuff enough. I mean, this is a dude who couldn't handle Paolo being the best player to come out of his state before he even played a single game in the NBA. I can't really imagine him happily deferring to Paolo as the number two option on the same team.

Young is costly and has more glaring limitations, but I really do think he's a better fit in all other areas.

I feel like they squashed the beef at this point.

Murray has also been super complimentary of Mosley as well.

That said, I think Trae is the better player and would take him over Murray provided the price wasn’t obnoxious for either guy.
meatwad4343
Rookie
And1: 284

Post#1552 » by meatwad4343 » Sun May 5, 2024 11:47 pm

Donavan Mitchell would be exactly what we need if he ends up asking out of Cleveland this summer.

Fultz, Harris, Ingles needs to go. If we aren't trading for anyone I'm not sure who's even a free agent we can get. Chris Paul on a one year deal to run the offense? I'd only want klay or Paul George on a two year deal at most.
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,962

Post#1553 » by SHAQ32 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:26 am

Getting rid of you-know-who
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#1554 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 12:31 am

Suggs may get an extension and not Franz. Franz 2025 cap hold is $21m, and Suggs is $27m. We could give Suggs a 5 yr $110m starting at $18-19m per season. That plus Franz cap hold is $40m. Then, we could still have over $40m in space.

That's why Philadelphia is doing with Maxey. He has around a $17m cap hold. So they are going to sign free agents before they give Maxey the max.

2025 FAs look better. Mitchell, Ingram, White, Tatum, and Markkanen.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 594

Post#1555 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 6, 2024 12:39 am

basketballRob wrote:Suggs may get an extension and not Franz. Franz 2025 cap hold is $21m, and Suggs is $27m. We could give Suggs a 5 yr $110m starting at $18-19m per season. That plus Franz cap hold is $40m. Then, we could still have over $40m in space.

That's why Philadelphia is doing with Maxey. He has around a $17m cap hold. So they are going to sign free agents before they give Maxey the max.

I think Suggs is going to be more expensive. When is the All Defensive team announced?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#1556 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 12:42 am

MasterGMer wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Suggs may get an extension and not Franz. Franz 2025 cap hold is $21m, and Suggs is $27m. We could give Suggs a 5 yr $110m starting at $18-19m per season. That plus Franz cap hold is $40m. Then, we could still have over $40m in space.

I think Suggs is going to be more expensive. When is the All Defensive team announced?
It was May 10th last season and May 9th the season before.

ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#1557 » by ogmagicfan » Mon May 6, 2024 1:01 am

thelead wrote:So.... what's the likelihood that Fultz is back next year because I'm depressed that it's not zero?

with the news about him playing thru a knee injury, id give it a 40-50% chance he's brought back on a 1 yr/5 mil deal
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 919

Post#1558 » by mattyBoi » Mon May 6, 2024 1:21 am

The pressure is officially on. Paolo has arrived and it's time to put the best possible roster around him. What we do from this point on will determine Paolo's future with the Magic.
LongHairedBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 27

Post#1559 » by LongHairedBob » Mon May 6, 2024 1:22 am

What about Malik Monk as your starting point guard next to Suggs?

Was basically the back up point guard for Sacramento 5.1 assists 2 turnovers in 26 minutes per game... Dynamic scoring, good three point shooter, young (26), competitor, played point guard in high school.

Would this work?
If it's sent by ship then it's a cargo, if it's sent by road then it's a shipment.
-- Dave Allen
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,566

Post#1560 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 1:39 am

Unequivocally states that Franz isn't a max player due to his poor shooting.

Return to Orlando Magic