ImageImageImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects Orlando Magic Should Get

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,328

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects Orlando Magic Should Get 

Post#861 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 17, 2024 3:18 pm

SOUL wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Paolo and Franz play 35mpg. That’s not changing.

I also have a hard time seeing a late round first taking Carter, JI, or Moe’s minutes if they are on the roster.

Guard spots? Gary and Fultz are gone if anything in this world makes sense. AB is a rookie that can play either guard spot. Cole looks to be more replaceable than a guy like JI who I’m told by everyone on this forum doesn’t have trade value elsewhere. Houstan and Jett who knows. They haven’t earned anything.

If you are selecting a straight up PF, that has no versatility, then you are squandering this pick. An argument could be made for a true Center or a guy that can just be a switchable F.

WCJ and JI are incredibly injury prone and Moe is not that playable in some matchups. A backup guy like da Silva would slide in perfectly to backup SF minutes (Ingles replacement), while a center drafted would slide into Goga's position who saw quite a bit of minutes even in a relatively "healthy" year for us. That center can even challenge for future starting position if good enough, like Lively would've last year... who I was told was a bad pick because he would be a backup (lol).

That's two positions that literally have a very realistic chance of being open slots - which is a roster fact. They're also positions that are not an immediate need like shooting or a point guard, because we can have guys like Black/Jett/Houstan fill in at backup SF if the rookie isn't ready right away, or if our third string center is raw, he doesn't have to play right away either.

A lead SG or PG (wherever Suggs doesn't play) is quite literally the biggest need, which isn't going to be addressed by just hoping some rookie in a weak draft figures it out, while also at the expense at Jett and Black. That would be a triple whammy of not addressing that position in FA, that rookie potentially not being ready for those minutes, and stunting one of AB or Jett again by drafting a guard.

If we have a trade or something, then obviously my opinion changes too. But I really don't see how you can argue against it. The whole "guard is our weakest position so let's keep drafting them" is such a fallacious argument which doesn't take into account young players already on the team who can held strengthen it this year, plus the FA/trade avenue which we'll use to tackle at least one guard position.

I think the BPA and need comes down to the Forward spot more than anything. da Silva and Furphy I think kinda fit this the best with Scheierman close behind. Why? Because Ingles is 40 and it really says a lot about where you see Houstan’s development and ability to defend. Someone that can switch between 2/3 and 3/4 more than having a guy fill in the 5 minutes Paolo isn’t in the game, when JI happens to be sidelined, isn’t really a good use of a first round pick.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,909

Post#862 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 3:24 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
SOUL wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Paolo and Franz play 35mpg. That’s not changing.

I also have a hard time seeing a late round first taking Carter, JI, or Moe’s minutes if they are on the roster.

Guard spots? Gary and Fultz are gone if anything in this world makes sense. AB is a rookie that can play either guard spot. Cole looks to be more replaceable than a guy like JI who I’m told by everyone on this forum doesn’t have trade value elsewhere. Houstan and Jett who knows. They haven’t earned anything.

If you are selecting a straight up PF, that has no versatility, then you are squandering this pick. An argument could be made for a true Center or a guy that can just be a switchable F.

WCJ and JI are incredibly injury prone and Moe is not that playable in some matchups. A backup guy like da Silva would slide in perfectly to backup SF minutes (Ingles replacement), while a center drafted would slide into Goga's position who saw quite a bit of minutes even in a relatively "healthy" year for us. That center can even challenge for future starting position if good enough, like Lively would've last year... who I was told was a bad pick because he would be a backup (lol).

That's two positions that literally have a very realistic chance of being open slots - which is a roster fact. They're also positions that are not an immediate need like shooting or a point guard, because we can have guys like Black/Jett/Houstan fill in at backup SF if the rookie isn't ready right away, or if our third string center is raw, he doesn't have to play right away either.

A lead SG or PG (wherever Suggs doesn't play) is quite literally the biggest need, which isn't going to be addressed by just hoping some rookie in a weak draft figures it out, while also at the expense at Jett and Black. That would be a triple whammy of not addressing that position in FA, that rookie potentially not being ready for those minutes, and stunting one of AB or Jett again by drafting a guard.

If we have a trade or something, then obviously my opinion changes too. But I really don't see how you can argue against it. The whole "guard is our weakest position so let's keep drafting them" is such a fallacious argument which doesn't take into account young players already on the team who can held strengthen it this year, plus the FA/trade avenue which we'll use to tackle at least one guard position.

I think the BPA and need comes down to the Forward spot more than anything. da Silva and Furphy I think kinda fit this the best with Scheierman close behind. Why? Because Ingles is 40 and it really says a lot about where you see Houstan’s development and ability to defend. Someone that can switch between 2/3 and 3/4 more than having a guy fill in the 5 minutes Paolo isn’t in the game, when JI happens to be sidelined, isn’t really a good use of a first round pick.

I think the guy that (maybe) could best fill Ingles' role is AB. We can draft a guard with more guard skills in hand and let AB continue to develop without the pressure of providing Lead Guard-worthy offense. Depending on trades/FA plans...I'd really like Carter at #18 and my real hope is that Terrence Shannon somehow finds his way to us later. That's a lot of ready-to-go guard skills that would really fly right over AB, imo, in terms of readiness (not necessarily upside or defense). That, to me, is somewhat liberating because it would free Mose to use AB like a smaller Isaac, plug him in wherever it makes sense - any offense is gravy, although we all expect him to expand his arsenal more and more.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 728

Post#863 » by RichCollab » Fri May 17, 2024 9:28 pm

I wanted nothing to do with Zach Edey but I’m starting to fall in love with the idea of adding him.

I was confident he would be a 2nd round pick but now it’s very possible he is off the table by 14.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#864 » by RookieStar » Fri May 17, 2024 9:36 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
Read on Twitter

wow. if he does that regularly and not just the highlights...

how come I dont see his name in the draft boards.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#865 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 17, 2024 10:08 pm

RichCollab wrote:I wanted nothing to do with Zach Edey but I’m starting to fall in love with the idea of adding him.

I was confident he would be a 2nd round pick but now it’s very possible he is off the table by 14.

Closest thing to an Anti - Wemby yet.

It is a tale as old as time. Dominant big man usually = an era of underskilled but large good enough defenders to make life hard.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#866 » by RookieStar » Fri May 17, 2024 11:52 pm

Im readong the Gem Board about the 16 draft and the redraft had the #1 pick as Sabonis... the guy we traded away along with Dipo... lol thanks Henny. What a Manchurian Candidate.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,124

Post#867 » by yoyojw17 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:55 am

RookieStar wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7FasuIvMwG/?igsh=MXQxbnQ3M2N3bjFlNw==

Was just coming to post this video... From instagram.... Buuuuut I see I'm too late. Lol
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#868 » by Petre1978 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:08 am

Knightro wrote:Guys I would be thrilled to get in Round 1
1. Devin Carter, Guard, Providence
(19 on Tankathon, 13 on The Ringer, 15 on The Athletic)

2. DaRon Holmes II, Big, Dayton
(28 on Tankathon, 23 on The Ringer, 25 on The Athletic)

3. Ryan Dunn, Wing, Virginia
(31 on Tankathon, 35 on The Ringer, 31 on The Athletic)

4. Tyler Kolek, Guard, Marquette
(25 on Tankathon, 46 on The Ringer, 24 on The Athletic)

5. Kyle Filipowski, Big, Duke
(16 on Tankathon, 28 on The Ringer, 17 on The Athletic)

Guys I would be thrilled to get in Round 2
1. Baylor Scheierman, Wing, Creighton
(41 on Tankathon, 37 on The Ringer, 35 on The Athletic)

2. Dillon Jones, Wing, Weber State
(32 on Tankathon, 56 on The Ringer, 48 on The Athletic)

3. Payton Stanfort, Wing, Iowa
(56 on Tankathon, 49 on The Ringer, 36 on The Athletic)

4. Jamal Shead, Guard, Houston
(54 on Tankathon, NR on The Ringer, 43 on The Athletic)

5. KJ Simpson, Guard, Colorado
(40 on Tankathon, 41 on The Ringer, 50 on The Athletic)

Dunn is a very bad shooter
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#869 » by Petre1978 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:09 am

Jeff Weltman wants Devin Carter.
Bub Carrington is second on Jeff's board.
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#870 » by Petre1978 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:49 am

Carter will be gone at 18 so Scheierman is my pick at 18.
Can also share the court with Wagner and Banchero.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,958

Post#871 » by basketballRob » Sat May 18, 2024 11:29 am

Petre1978 wrote:

If Carter is gone by 18, then someone has to fall. I like a lot of the players projected to get picked before us.

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,614

Post#872 » by eyriq » Sat May 18, 2024 12:03 pm

Petre1978 wrote:Jeff Weltman wants Devin Carter.
Where do you think AB would fit in this year's draft class?
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#873 » by Petre1978 » Sat May 18, 2024 12:12 pm

eyriq wrote:

Black would be top 2 pick.
I really like Black.
Hope he gets playing time next year.
I really hoped that he would play in the playoffs to slow down Mitchell a little bit but coach had other plans.
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#874 » by Petre1978 » Sat May 18, 2024 12:13 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Petre1978 wrote:

If Carter is gone by 18, then someone has to fall. I like a lot of the players projected to get picked before us.

Who do you like?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#875 » by eyriq » Sat May 18, 2024 12:23 pm

Petre1978 wrote:
eyriq wrote:

I really like Black.
I really hoped that he would play in the playoffs to slow down Mitchell a little bit but coach had other plans.
You've always been one of the best draft minds around here. Thanks for the insight into this draft!
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#876 » by Petre1978 » Sat May 18, 2024 1:09 pm

eyriq wrote:
Petre1978 wrote:
eyriq wrote:Where do you think AB would fit in this year's draft class?

I really like Black.
You've always been one of the best draft minds around here. Thanks for the insight into this draft!

Thank you Sir!
Very kind from you!!

Greetings from Germany
three3d
Junior
And1: 85

Post#877 » by three3d » Sat May 18, 2024 3:25 pm

RookieStar wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
Read on Twitter

Was watching day 1 game of the combine and was not familiar with this kid he pulled off a sick behind the back pass that made me rewind it and watch, he has court vision
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#878 » by eyriq » Sat May 18, 2024 3:31 pm

Petre1978 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Petre1978 wrote:Black would be top 2 pick.
I really like Black.

Thank you Sir!
Very kind from you!!

Greetings from Germany
Who are the players you think we should be considering at 18?
three3d
Junior

Post#879 » by three3d » Sat May 18, 2024 3:36 pm

Sports Illustrated’s latest mock has Eddy moving up to the 9th pick and will a taking Jared McCain of Duke. I don’t even see Devin Carter in the 1st round. I think Carlton Carrington is an interesting pick and they have him at 22. Carrington has a sweet stroke from 3.

https://www.si.com/nba/suns/analysis/nba-mock-draft-zach-edey-goes-early
three3d
Junior

Post#880 » by three3d » Sat May 18, 2024 3:43 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Petre1978 wrote:

I really like Scheierman’s game, at the combine he played really well within himself and stood out just playing right. He has a REALLY nice shot and if you watch his highlight mix pay close attention to the score of the game and the time left in the game and see some of the big clutch buckets he hit. He plays right and I liked at his combine interviews, he said one of his most underrated skills was his ability to play defense.

Return to Orlando Magic