ImageImageImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects Orlando Magic Should Get

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,328

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects Orlando Magic Should Get 

Post#841 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 17, 2024 12:28 am

Knightro wrote:Guys I would be thrilled to get in Round 1
1. Devin Carter, Guard, Providence
(19 on Tankathon, 13 on The Ringer, 15 on The Athletic)

2. DaRon Holmes II, Big, Dayton
(28 on Tankathon, 23 on The Ringer, 25 on The Athletic)

3. Ryan Dunn, Wing, Virginia
(31 on Tankathon, 35 on The Ringer, 31 on The Athletic)

4. Tyler Kolek, Guard, Marquette
(25 on Tankathon, 46 on The Ringer, 24 on The Athletic)

5. Kyle Filipowski, Big, Duke
(16 on Tankathon, 28 on The Ringer, 17 on The Athletic)

Guys I would be thrilled to get in Round 2
1. Baylor Scheierman, Wing, Creighton
(41 on Tankathon, 37 on The Ringer, 35 on The Athletic)

2. Dillon Jones, Wing, Weber State
(32 on Tankathon, 56 on The Ringer, 48 on The Athletic)

3. Payton Stanfort, Wing, Iowa
(56 on Tankathon, 49 on The Ringer, 36 on The Athletic)

4. Jamal Shead, Guard, Houston
(54 on Tankathon, NR on The Ringer, 43 on The Athletic)

5. KJ Simpson, Guard, Colorado
(40 on Tankathon, 41 on The Ringer, 50 on The Athletic)

Great list. Only two guys I disagree with are Holmes and Dunn for different reasons.

Holmes. I don’t see a path for minutes anytime soon.

Dunn. As much as I like players with his profile he is exactly what Orlando doesn’t need. Poor shooter and playmaker. Basically a guy that provides everything Orlando already has and nothing they need.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,961

Post#842 » by Knightro » Fri May 17, 2024 12:55 am

MagicMatic wrote:Great list. Only two guys I disagree with are Holmes and Dunn for different reasons.

Dunn. As much as I like players with his profile he is exactly what Orlando doesn’t need. Poor shooter and playmaker. Basically a guy that provides everything Orlando already has and nothing they need.

With Holmes... there's probably no tangible path to minutes next year for him, I agree with you there.

But Isaac and Moe are both free agents after next season, so there could be a path sooner than we think. Especially if Isaac's injury issues crop back up. Or if they look to trade Carter, but don't sign a center, etc.

And with Dunn... I really do get and share your concerns completely. His offense is almost non-existent right now, but he's just such an otherworldly A+++ Herb Jonesian level defender and I just love guys like that.

If his shooting never develops at all he can still give you 5-10 minutes of hellacious defense a night as a third string wing.

And if it does... you really have something there.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#843 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 17, 2024 12:59 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Great list. Only two guys I disagree with are Holmes and Dunn for different reasons.

With Holmes... there's probably no tangible path to minutes next year for him, I agree with you there.

But Isaac and Moe are both free agents after next season, so there could be a path sooner than we think. Especially if Isaac's injury issues crop back up. Or if they look to trade Carter, but don't sign a center, etc.

And with Dunn... I really do get and share your concerns completely. His offense is almost non-existent right now, but he's just such an otherworldly A+++ Herb Jonesian level defender and I just love guys like that.

If his shooting never develops at all he can still give you 5-10 minutes of hellacious defense a night as a third string wing.

And if it does... you really have something there.

Yeah for sure. You are banking on a developing offense, like most Orlando prospects.

How do you feel about Carter? If Orlando for some miracle actually selected that beast what do you have the rotation down as?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#844 » by Knightro » Fri May 17, 2024 1:07 am

MagicMatic wrote:Yeah for sure. You are banking on a developing offense, like most Orlando prospects.

How do you feel about Carter? If Orlando for some miracle actually selected that beast what do you have the rotation down as?

I think Carter is incredible. If his shooting continues to uptick like it did over the course of his college career, he could be the next Derrick White. And White probably should have been an all-star next year.

If they are able to get Carter... man.

It gets really tough, really fast because Carter may well be more ready to contribute given his age and experience than Anthony Black was this past year. But I also want Black to play.

I'd probably have to trade Cole Anthony at that point.

Sign Monk. He starts along with Suggs.

Backup guards are Black and Carter.

Something like that. Fultz, Harris both gone and Cole would have to go too.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#845 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 17, 2024 1:09 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Yeah for sure. You are banking on a developing offense, like most Orlando prospects.

I think Carter is incredible. If his shooting continues to uptick like it did over the course of his college career, he could be the next Derrick White. And White probably should have been an all-star next year.

It gets really tough, really fast because Carter may well be more ready to contribute given his age and experience than Anthony Black was this past year. But I also want Black to play.

I’d be good with it. The defense would be insane. Would make me OK with not selecting Cason to be honest lol.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#846 » by Knightro » Fri May 17, 2024 2:00 am

Devin Carter - 6’2 1/4” and 6’8.75” wingspan, 193 LBS
Ryan Dunn - 6’6 1/4", 7’1 1/2” wingspan, 215 LBS
Dillon Jones - 6’4 1/2", 6’11” wingspan, 237 LBS

All measured nicely.

Here's a nice nugget on Scheierman from the combine...

Baylor Scheierman had some positive buzz in the gym after a scorching shooting performance in drills, shooting 24-for-30 on pull-up jumpers (second best at combine) and 22-for-25 on spot-up 3s (tied for No. 1). The 23-year-old has good size for the wing, sharp basketball instincts and a plug-and-play NBA skill already with his dynamic shooting ability. He's likely to receive consideration from teams drafting in the first round thanks to his well-rounded profile, strong analytic model numbers and the outsized importance teams are placing on 3-point shooting.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,140

Post#847 » by SOUL » Fri May 17, 2024 2:03 am

There's a path for bigs to play quicker than the guards. I actually don't think we go guard unless we move one of Black or Jett. If we address PG or SG it will be via FA, meaning Suggs, (FA), Jett, Cole and Black all need minutes.

Pick is either moved or we go backup wing/big.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#848 » by Knightro » Fri May 17, 2024 2:12 am

SOUL wrote:There's a path for bigs to play quicker than the guards. I actually don't think we go guard unless we move one of Black or Jett. If we address PG or SG it will be via FA, meaning Suggs, (FA), Jett, Cole and Black all need minutes.

Could move Cole! (don't think that's in the cards)
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,044

Post#849 » by drsd » Fri May 17, 2024 2:12 am

Knightro wrote:Guys I would be thrilled to get in Round 1
1. Devin Carter, Guard, Providence
(19 on Tankathon, 13 on The Ringer, 15 on The Athletic)

If the Magic keep this pick, I am obviously very high on an upperclassman here. Whether Carter or Jaylon Tyson or Tristan da Silva,etc. But if the Magic go full BPA, what are your thoughts on KyShawn George? For me, he is the only upside player in this range of the draft.

Guys I would be thrilled to get in Round 2

Really? The Magic is more likely to wheel out Mac McClung or Trevelin Queen than any 2nd rounder. I could care less who the Magic drafts for Osceola. Whatever 2nd rounder tabbed will not be part of the Orlando organization in 2024/25. I would bet your house on that!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#850 » by SOUL » Fri May 17, 2024 2:15 am

Knightro wrote:Could move Cole! (don't think that's in the cards)

I mean the actual mechanics / answers are simple (moving Cole), but I agree, there will not be a sudden rush to play essentially two rookies + a 2nd year guy (at the same positions, no less, even if we can play Black at SF).
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,044

Post#851 » by drsd » Fri May 17, 2024 2:20 am

Knightro wrote:

And-1

Short term, let's say the Magic signs Monk, drafts Carter, reups M-Wagner, Ingles, and Isaac, and resigns Bitadze, the roster is:

Monk/Anthony/D-Carter
Suggs/Black/Howard
F-Wagner/Ingles/Houstan
Banchero/Isaac
W-Carter/M-Wagner/Bitadze

Not only do I "like this team", but I think that an in-season move to flip Anthony for a sniper SG at backup 2 (shifting Black to primary backup PG), sets this team up to be VERY interesting in the playoffs.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#852 » by Knightro » Fri May 17, 2024 3:01 am

drsd wrote:Really? The Magic is more likely to wheel out Mac McClung or Trevelin Queen than any 2nd rounder. I could care less who the Magic drafts for Osceola. Whatever 2nd rounder tabbed will not be part of the Orlando organization in 2024/25. I would bet your house on that!

I'm not so sure about that. They've rostered 2nd rounders before in Weltman's tenure.

They have 4 impending free agents, with all four more unlikely than not to return.

I don't think they're going to sign 3 free agents and make one draft pick. Seems like 2 free agents/trade acquisitions + 2 draft picks seems more likely.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,958

Post#853 » by basketballRob » Fri May 17, 2024 3:10 am

Delete
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#854 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 17, 2024 7:43 am

SOUL wrote:There's a path for bigs to play quicker than the guards. I actually don't think we go guard unless we move one of Black or Jett. If we address PG or SG it will be via FA, meaning Suggs, (FA), Jett, Cole and Black all need minutes.

Not sure I agree.

Paolo and Franz play 35mpg. That’s not changing.

I also have a hard time seeing a late round first taking Carter, JI, or Moe’s minutes if they are on the roster.

Guard spots? Gary and Fultz are gone if anything in this world makes sense. AB is a rookie that can play either guard spot. Cole looks to be more replaceable than a guy like JI who I’m told by everyone on this forum doesn’t have trade value elsewhere. Houstan and Jett who knows. They haven’t earned anything.

If you are selecting a straight up PF, that has no versatility, then you are squandering this pick. An argument could be made for a true Center or a guy that can just be a switchable F.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,581

Post#855 » by Bensational » Fri May 17, 2024 8:03 am

I’m feeling Furphy or a C.

The more I watch of Furphy the more he fits what we’re doing and what we need. Tall perimeter shooter who’s a great off ball mover always finding space. Really reminds me of Franz with his movement, and the way he repositions from corner to corner or slips a back door cut. He’s shifty with the way he finds lanes, going from a casual jog to a quick dive the moment the defender looks away. He’s always ready to shoot when he gets to the perimeter. Leaks out for transition really well. I think he’d pick up our playbook pretty quickly, and he could become a good 3+D backup forward. Nothing flashy, but a good contributor.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 600

Post#856 » by MasterGMer » Fri May 17, 2024 8:08 am

Read on Twitter
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 436

Post#857 » by T-Cat » Fri May 17, 2024 8:50 am

MagicMatic wrote:
T-Cat wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Only problem with Comche is where is he getting minutes?

Paolo, Isaac, Carter, Mo, and possibly Goga if he isnt walking.

Considering how raw he is as a prospect, he should play a year in the G League.

Why would Orlando draft guys that can’t play for two seasons?

Didn’t they just make the playoffs? They aren’t rebuilding anymore.

They can afford to wait on a guy they think would be an impactful player in a year or so!

I'm not saying he's Giannis but he could be worth the wait to be his own player if he puts in the work vs drafting a player with win now role player potential.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#858 » by SOUL » Fri May 17, 2024 8:58 am

MagicMatic wrote:Paolo and Franz play 35mpg. That’s not changing.

I also have a hard time seeing a late round first taking Carter, JI, or Moe’s minutes if they are on the roster.

Guard spots? Gary and Fultz are gone if anything in this world makes sense. AB is a rookie that can play either guard spot. Cole looks to be more replaceable than a guy like JI who I’m told by everyone on this forum doesn’t have trade value elsewhere. Houstan and Jett who knows. They haven’t earned anything.

If you are selecting a straight up PF, that has no versatility, then you are squandering this pick. An argument could be made for a true Center or a guy that can just be a switchable F.

WCJ and JI are incredibly injury prone and Moe is not that playable in some matchups. A backup guy like da Silva would slide in perfectly to backup SF minutes (Ingles replacement), while a center drafted would slide into Goga's position who saw quite a bit of minutes even in a relatively "healthy" year for us. That center can even challenge for future starting position if good enough, like Lively would've last year... who I was told was a bad pick because he would be a backup (lol).

That's two positions that literally have a very realistic chance of being open slots - which is a roster fact. They're also positions that are not an immediate need like shooting or a point guard, because we can have guys like Black/Jett/Houstan fill in at backup SF if the rookie isn't ready right away, or if our third string center is raw, he doesn't have to play right away either.

A lead SG or PG (wherever Suggs doesn't play) is quite literally the biggest need, which isn't going to be addressed by just hoping some rookie in a weak draft figures it out, while also at the expense at Jett and Black. That would be a triple whammy of not addressing that position in FA, that rookie potentially not being ready for those minutes, and stunting one of AB or Jett again by drafting a guard.

If we have a trade or something, then obviously my opinion changes too. But I really don't see how you can argue against it. The whole "guard is our weakest position so let's keep drafting them" is such a fallacious argument which doesn't take into account young players already on the team who can held strengthen it this year, plus the FA/trade avenue which we'll use to tackle at least one guard position.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,124

Post#859 » by yoyojw17 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:57 am

He's got my VOTE!!! not that athleticism.... blocks.... or dunks.... BUT.... the fact i wanna see him and Paolo doing the same flex after an alley oop. :lol: :lol:
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,909

Post#860 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 10:42 am

I like a lot of guys here - potentially at #18…hopefully, we make a big draft night trade to clarify our needs….Ware/Messi or Carter/McCain/da Silva?

If Terrence Shannon drops into the second round, maybe we trade some future seconds to move up (earlier in the second) to grab a falling star opportunity. If he gets cleared (which many believe he will)- it’s a steal. If not, oh well- it’s srps.

Return to Orlando Magic