ImageImageImageImage

Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread II

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

anothermagicfan
Junior
And1: 233

Re: Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread II 

Post#441 » by anothermagicfan » Sun May 12, 2024 2:39 am

There is a silver lining to AB not getting the run in the second half of the season. There is absolutely no questioning whether fultz or Harris should be brought back. The magic are most definitely better off with AB getting a significant amount of the minutes that fultz and Harris had of wasted opportunity. Fultz and Harris had the chance again and again and kept laying eggs.

Even if the magic don't bring in anyone in free agency or trades they're better off giving some minutes to Jett as well. He really can't do much worse than fultz and Harris and Cole for that matter.

I say all this as someone that has been firmly team fultz. Dude just didn't show us anything this year. Way too many games this last season that could have been wins if there was any contributions from the wasted minutes of fultz and Harris.

No reason for AB to not be a part of the regular rotation going forward
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#442 » by eyriq » Sun May 12, 2024 2:48 am

anothermagicfan wrote:There is a silver lining to AB not getting the run in the second half of the season. There is absolutely no questioning whether fultz or Harris should be brought back. The magic are most definitely better off with AB getting a significant amount of the minutes that fultz and Harris had of wasted opportunity. Fultz and Harris had the chance again and again and kept laying eggs.

Even if the magic don't bring in anyone in free agency or trades they're better off giving some minutes to Jett as well. He really can't do much worse than fultz and Harris and Cole for that matter.

I say all this as someone that has been firmly team fultz. Dude just didn't show us anything this year. Way too many games this last season that could have been wins if there was any contributions from the wasted minutes of fultz and Harris.

A+ post, terrific point, amazing opinion, knower of ball.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#443 » by drsd » Sun May 12, 2024 9:08 am

Jaxfann wrote::noway:
drsd wrote:Howard WANTS to play in Vegas at the Summer league.

Jett Howard was super clear that he excited about the opportunity to shine this summer in Vegas.

Why are you shaking your head?
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#444 » by zaymon » Sun May 12, 2024 12:26 pm

I was thinking lately what is the real high reward strategy this offseason. I am not sure moving Howard and Black right now is lined up with future upside. Its more about mitigating risk, trading them in case they lose value but is it really longterm move ?
I understand if we move them for a star, but even then isnt it too soon ? Players very often have the lowest value after their first year.
Right now we are using them as a throw in, but it doesnt have to be that way in the future.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 723

Post#445 » by RichCollab » Sun May 12, 2024 12:50 pm

anothermagicfan wrote:There is a silver lining to AB not getting the run in the second half of the season. There is absolutely no questioning whether fultz or Harris should be brought back. The magic are most definitely better off with AB getting a significant amount of the minutes that fultz and Harris had of wasted opportunity. Fultz and Harris had the chance again and again and kept laying eggs.

Harris’s defense was big in the Cavs series. I agree Harris shouldn’t be blocking our rookies from last season and I’m if we don’t bring him back. But, less money and a reduced role I could see that.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#446 » by zaymon » Sun May 12, 2024 2:14 pm

RichCollab wrote:

Harris’s defense was big in the Cavs series. I agree Harris shouldn’t be blocking our rookies from last season and I’m if we don’t bring him back. But, less money and a reduced role I could see that.

It will be much easier to sell Harris on reduced role than other free agent we would brought here. People want to eat a cookie and have a cookie.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 711

Post#447 » by JoshuaPotter » Sun May 12, 2024 3:49 pm

On record, unless we manage some miracle signing or trade.

Our team will only go as far this upcoming year as Black and Howard have developed. Strap in.
sk8wrulz
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#448 » by sk8wrulz » Sun May 12, 2024 4:56 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:On record, unless we manage some miracle signing or trade.

Our team will only go as far this upcoming year as Black and Howard have developed. Strap in.

IMO this should have happened this year. Instead, we will go next season with 1/2 of AB as known variable. Coach didnt even play him a single meaningful minute in playoffs.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,129

Post#449 » by KillMonger » Mon May 13, 2024 3:58 pm

Read on Twitter
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,185

Post#450 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:10 pm

KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cason Wallace is really going to turn into the 3&D guard the whole league is looking for isn’t he.. how does OKC keep doing it :banghead:

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#451 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 4:16 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
Cason Wallace is really going to turn into the 3&D guard the whole league is looking for isn’t he.. how does OKC keep doing it :banghead:

AB is 7th, with better defense, more size, and similar playmaking, yet you choose to glaze Cason Wallace?
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#452 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:37 pm

eyriq wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

AB is 7th, with better defense, more size, and similar playmaking, yet you choose to glaze Cason Wallace?

Cason Wallace has more than twice as many catch and shoot attempts per game as AB and is shooting 44% on them

Their defense is pretty much identical per EPM.. except Cason is doing it in games that actually matter in a significantly larger sample size

Who’s the one glazing again? I’m just looking at actual production..
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#453 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 4:45 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

Cason Wallace has more than twice as many catch and shoot attempts per game as AB and is shooting 44% on them

Their defense is pretty much identical per EPM.. except Cason is doing it in games that actually matter

I've been glazing our guy since we drafted him. Because he's a Magic. Because the data backs up his potential. Because our backcourt is terrible and we need some rising stars back there to compliment Paolo, Franz, and Suggs.

Glazing guys we passed on when our guy is on the same damn list is a decision.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#454 » by Skybox » Mon May 13, 2024 4:50 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Doesn't Devin Carter pretty much match his whole profile coming out of college? size, skillset, physical defense?

Carter scored a lot more, but he also isn't on an AAU powerhouse like Kentucky.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#455 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:10 pm

eyriq wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Their defense is pretty much identical per EPM.. except Cason is doing it in games that actually matter

I've been glazing our guy since we drafted him. Because he's a Magic. Because the data backs up his potential. Because our backcourt is terrible and we need some rising stars back there to compliment Paolo, Franz, and Suggs.

I’m a huge Magic fan - I also just like basketball in general. I like talking ball, betting on ball, visiting other teams boards, I try to remain objective.

My post wasn’t due to us passing on Wallace - notice how I didn’t mention Hawkins, Dick, GG, or Sasser. It has everything to do with the guy having a good rookie season on both ends of the court for a team that won 57 games.

You’re not going to find me glazing just because a guy is wearing a Magic Jersey. Respect is earned, not given.. I show tons of love to Paolo, Franz, and Suggs. Feel free to block me or head to r/OrlandoMagic if you want a circlejerk. Hopefully your Elfrid Payton t shirt isn’t collecting too much dust these days.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#456 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:13 pm

Skybox wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Doesn't Devin Carter pretty much match his whole profile coming out of college? size, skillset, physical defense?

Carter scored a lot more, but he also isn't on an AAU powerhouse like Kentucky.

They are very similar prospects although Wallace is ~1.5 years younger. I question if Carter’s shooting is for real, but he made tough threes all year. I don’t see us going with a guard in the draft this year.. I’m sure he’ll look good playing for the Heat though :evil:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#457 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 5:37 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

I’m a huge Magic fan - I also just like basketball in general. I like talking ball, betting on ball, visiting other teams boards, I try to remain objective.

My post wasn’t due to us passing on Wallace - notice how I didn’t mention Hawkins, Dick, GG, or Sasser. It has everything to do with the guy having a good rookie season on both ends of the court for a team that won 57 games.

You’re not going to find me glazing just because a guy is wearing a Magic Jersey. Respect is earned, not given.. I show tons of love to Paolo, Franz, and Suggs. Feel free to block me or head to r/OrlandoMagic if you want a circlejerk. Hopefully your Elfrid Payton t shirt isn’t collecting too much dust these days.
Why would I block you? You're a good poster. I just felt like making a point about highlighting Wallace when AB is right there staring you in the face. Yeah, Wallace looks good, AB is right there though. Higher free throw rate to boot, promising a higher offensive ceiling.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#458 » by The Effect » Mon May 13, 2024 5:41 pm

eyriq wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

You say that, but Wallace is averaging 18mpg on the #1 seed in the playoffs while black didnt play 18m in the entire 1st round

I like AB, but lets not be complete homers here about everything and give OKC their due with their elite drafting, especially their picks outside the top 10
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#459 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 5:44 pm

The Effect wrote:
eyriq wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

You say that, but Wallace is averaging 18mpg on the #1 seed in the playoffs while black didnt play 18m in the entire 1st round

I like AB, but lets not be complete homers here about everything and give OKC their due with their elite drafting, especially their picks outside the top 10
I can't stand the Thunder and think their whole schtick is cheesy as hell. Yeah Wallace earned PT while our guy rotted on the bench. Thank god for those Fultz and Harris minutes.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,857

Post#460 » by Knightro » Mon May 13, 2024 5:51 pm

eyriq wrote:Why would I block you? You're a good poster. I just felt like making a point about highlighting Wallace when AB is right there staring you in the face. Yeah, Wallace looks good, AB is right there though. Higher free throw rate to boot, promising a higher offensive ceiling.

But you're obviously smart enough to know that sample sizes mean everything on top 10 lists like these. The gap between 2nd and 7th could be huge.

Like it's great that Black is 7th on the list instead of not on it at all, but the gap between 2nd and 7th in this case is pretty massive.

Return to Orlando Magic