ImageImageImageImage

Anthony Black: Road To The NBA Movie

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 448

Re: Anthony Black: Road To The NBA Movie 

Post#41 » by The-Stallion70 » Sat May 18, 2024 7:36 am

eyriq wrote:Upside brother

I want what you're smokin bruh
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,259

Post#42 » by cedric76 » Sat May 18, 2024 7:52 am

The-Stallion70 wrote:

Or just glasses
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,614

Post#43 » by eyriq » Sat May 18, 2024 12:20 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:

Walk with me.

Anthony Black was the top NCAA PG prospect, and a consensus top 10 pick, most commonly mocked between 6-9.

If you look at college kids with the most similar statistical profiles, Bruce Brown, Kemba Walker, and SGA are the closest comps.

If you look at NBA pros with the most similar per 100 possession statistical profiles to the production AB put up as a rookie, Bruce Bowen and Andre Iguodala are the closest fits.

He's absolutely a stud prospect, there really should be no doubt there. He can play in the rotation right now and have an impact similar to a 30 year old version of Bowen and Iguodala, and has offensive upside (Kemba and SGA).

None of that is my opinion.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#44 » by fendilim » Sat May 18, 2024 1:46 pm

Knightro wrote:Sometimes I just feel like I don't understand basketball at all the way some of y'all discuss some of these players :lol:

It's not like Anthony Black *never* played this past year, ya know?

He played 69 games (nice) and over 1100 minutes. That's not nothing. He had like half a season's worth games of non-garbage time rotation minutes.

His Offensive BPM was -3.8. His Offensive EPM was -3.7.

He was just not a good offensive player. He was worse than rookie year Suggs IMO. And it's not like he was a high end offensive player in college or high school either.

That just isn't really in his profile. And that's ok! If he becomes a Lonzo Ball/Andre Iguodala/Josh Giddey type (Giddey specifically is a guy I think would thrive on a different team in a different role btw) - that would be an awesome result for the Magic and for Black.

Imo, its tough to compare Black, much more with Suggs’ rookie year.

Black basically came into a team looking to win. He wasn’t given the freedom Suggs had during his rookie year. Basically, Black was plugged in to fill a hole. black didn’t have the luxury to play through mistakes that Suggs did have in Suggs’ rookie year. No room for errors, thus limited role.

We didn’t have Fultz at that time, and Cole’s main role is to be a spark plug off the bench. Basically we just needed a player tall enough to fill the two spot.

Do I think he’d be better with more freedom in the offense? Your guess is just as good as mine.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,909

Post#45 » by Skybox » Mon May 20, 2024 2:11 pm

I'm going to start moving my 12 daily trades here since the Trade board is now all about whether AB's 2 points and 2 assists makes him Magic Johnson.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by eyriq » Mon May 20, 2024 2:13 pm

Skybox wrote:I'm going to start moving my 12 daily trades here since the Trade board is now all about whether AB's 2 points and 2 assists makes him Magic Johnson.
LMFAO

Hint taken
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#47 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 20, 2024 5:45 pm

Skybox wrote:I'm going to start moving my 12 daily trades here since the Trade board is now all about whether AB's 2 points and 2 assists makes him Magic Johnson.

Feeling daring today my friend? :) :D
Skybox
RealGM

Post#48 » by Skybox » Mon May 20, 2024 5:50 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:

Feeling daring today my friend? :) :D

always...it's not my money. :lol:
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,016

Post#49 » by Last Guardian » Mon May 20, 2024 7:45 pm

Not sure why this discussion is about scoring like we need AB to be a 20ppg guy. We don’t. We need him, or someone else, to be a PG so Paolo and Franz arent doing things they don’t need to.

AB does not have 20ppg upside. He does have 12-14ppg upside with 6 assists. Basically, be the former version of Fultz with better defense and able to take and make an open 3 and get to the line a little more.

Sure, Halliburton would be better but not sure hes available. And Trae…I don’t deny he has some skills we need, but I do not trust undersized players. I’m not saying it couldn’t work, but historically it doesn’t most of the time.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#50 » by Skybox » Mon May 20, 2024 8:07 pm

Last Guardian wrote:Not sure why this discussion is about scoring like we need AB to be a 20ppg guy. We don’t. We need him, or someone else, to be a PG so Paolo and Franz arent doing things they don’t need to.

AB does not have 20ppg upside. He does have 12-14ppg upside with 6 assists. Basically, be the former version of Fultz with better defense and able to take and make an open 3 and get to the line a little more.

Sure, Halliburton would be better but not sure hes available. And Trae…I don’t deny he has some skills we need, but I do not trust undersized players. I’m not saying it couldn’t work, but historically it doesn’t most of the time.

Those are some lofty projections and comparisons without a whole lot of evidence...yet.

What will Jett's numbers be?
three3d
Junior
And1: 84

Post#51 » by three3d » Tue May 21, 2024 2:35 pm

Skybox wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:Not sure why this discussion is about scoring like we need AB to be a 20ppg guy. We don’t. We need him, or someone else, to be a PG so Paolo and Franz arent doing things they don’t need to.

Those are some lofty projections and comparisons without a whole lot of evidence...yet.

I don’t think the Magic have created a new way to use the G-League drafting and stashing lottery picks. More likely Jett was just the wrong pick and a bad pick where they picked him at. If you are drafting and stashing why not do it with Black also? It never made sense to me leaving AB rotting on the bench while Jett was getting reps in the G-League. One of them just aren’t fitting and could possibly be both of them, time will tell.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,124

Post#52 » by yoyojw17 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:41 pm

Was going to come in with a similar post. We need WINNING players. and i think that he has that in him with what we currently have. With 3 core players that can handle the ball at varying amounts.... paolo being a HIGH usage ball dominant forward....franz being high.... and Suggs being good.... We don't truly need another ball dominant player. we need that "connective piece" that make the right plays.... makes open shots... cuts..... and plays defense. all of which i think black can do.

for me ... then best version of the magic will occur when some high usage players become moreso recipients of cuts and lobs as the other players continue to grow. This season.... we were really laid a lot on their shoulders. I think players like black and suggs will help alleviate a lot of that. We really need to work on our ball movement annnnnd off the ball movement this offseason. Too often is the ball in the hands of franz and paolo and EVERYONE is standing around taking pictures. lol

Let's see how much he continues to grow when not being a 3 sport athlete: Basketball Football, and Track and Field. lol

Highschool Scouting

From a scouting standpoint, Black has been very intriguing since we were first able to see him about two years ago. In early viewings he showed good size, good length and he moved extremely well for a young perimeter player with plus size. Though we didn't initially see him as a point guard, his playmaking instincts and passing ability also stood out along with his ability to push things in transition while having versatility on the defensive end. He lacked strength and the jumper was a question mark, but clearly something was there.

As time as passed and Black nears the completion of his senior year, he's been able to transition to full time point guard. He makes tremendous reads out of the pick and roll. He has become much more explosive attacking the basket. He rebounds well for the position and when he's locked in Black is capable of effectively defending pretty much any position at the high school level. His jump shot still needs some fine tuning and by getting more reps he'll build more trust in that. However, he's developed floaters, pull-ups and more creative finishes around the basket to help keep defenses on their heels. Yes he still needs more strength, but he's been filling out nicely and should take off in a college weight room.

While long term the idea is that he continues to develop as a point guard, Black could realistically play any perimeter position and be effective. From day one he can get to the rim, he can get to the free throw line and he can make a team much better at moving the ball. Whether it be college or the G League, he probably shouldn't be expected to be a big time scorer, but he can certainly score and the key is that his presence on the floor will make it easier for his team to score. As he continues to improve his deep jump shooting, those individual scoring numbers could rise quickly.

https://247sports.com/player/anthony-black-46094020/
Last Guardian
RealGM

Post#53 » by Last Guardian » Tue May 21, 2024 2:55 pm

Skybox wrote:

I guess you never heard the term upside. I never said those will be his numbers. That is just his upside in my opinion.

And by former version of Fultz, I'm not talking about his college days. I'm talking about season before last.

12ppg and 6apg, wow such lofty expectations I have.

Is this discussion about Jett? Stay on topic
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by eyriq » Tue May 21, 2024 3:37 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:Highschool Scouting

...Though we didn't initially see him as a point guard, his playmaking instincts and passing ability also stood out along with his ability to push things in transition while having versatility on the defensive end...
...As time as passed and Black nears the completion of his senior year, he's been able to transition to full time point guard. He makes tremendous reads out of the pick and roll.

Imagine that. He then went on to have the second highest assist per game as a freshman PG in the SEC, a smidge behind Cason Wallace, and to get drafted as the best NCAA PG prospect.

He then shot 39% from three as a rookie, addressing concerns about shooting.

#freeAB, #PGofTheFuture
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by yoyojw17 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:00 pm

eyriq wrote:

...Though we didn't initially see him as a point guard, his playmaking instincts and passing ability also stood out along with his ability to push things in transition while having versatility on the defensive end...
...As time as passed and Black nears the completion of his senior year, he's been able to transition to full time point guard. He makes tremendous reads out of the pick and roll.

Imagine that. He then went on to have the second highest assist per game as a freshman PG in the SEC, a smidge behind Cason Wallace, and to get drafted as the best NCAA PG prospect.

#freeAB, #PGofTheFuture

And imagine if he had help on the team... lol. Their star prospect never showed up next to him. Team was apparently unbearable to watch offensively.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#56 » by Skybox » Tue May 21, 2024 4:07 pm

Last Guardian wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I guess you never heard the term upside. I never said those will be his numbers. That is just his upside in my opinion.

And by former version of Fultz, I'm not talking about his college days. I'm talking about season before last.

I've heard about nothing BUT upside when it comes to those two...with a bunch of flat out guesses mixed in. I only brought up the other "almost All-Star" because you already had your crystal ball out
Skybox
RealGM

Post#57 » by Skybox » Tue May 21, 2024 4:08 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
eyriq wrote:

#freeAB, #PGofTheFuture

And imagine if he had help on the team... lol. Their star prospect never showed up next to him. Team was apparently unbearable to watch offensively.

sounds familiar
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#58 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:20 pm

I think a lot of this Anthony Black discourse can be boiled down to we just don’t know…. They didn’t really use him as a point guard. Does that mean they don’t think he can be one? Or does it mean the young kid who was more of a late prospect to basketball and only has half a college season sample size of playing true point guard just wasn’t ready for the NBA? Want to jump into Mosleys head and see what he really thinks.

The FO actions this offseason will tip their thoughts. Do they go for a stop gap point guard to stabilize for a year or two? In that case I bet they think Black takes the reins in 2 years. If they target more of a long term option then they probably think his destiny is a 3 and D wing that can handle a bit.

If it’s the former though the coaching staff has to give him more opportunities to make mistakes with the ball in his hands orchestrating an offense.

So to say he is definitely the answer or he is terrible and will never be a point guard are just weird takes to me because I think it’s dumb to take these 19-20 year old kids and make these declarations.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by yoyojw17 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:10 pm

Skybox wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
eyriq wrote:

#freeAB, #PGofTheFuture

sounds familiar

as in AB was the second leading scorer at 12.8 points per game.... and the leading scorers and shot takers also averaged around 40% shooting combined type unbearable. lol
Last Guardian
RealGM

Post#60 » by Last Guardian » Tue May 21, 2024 5:25 pm

Skybox wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I've heard about nothing BUT upside when it comes to those two...with a bunch of flat out guesses mixed in. I only brought up the other "almost All-Star" because you already had your crystal ball out

Gee, I wonder why upside is such a major factor when talking about young guys we just drafted. Who would have thought such a topic could be brought up. If you don't like talking about upside, then how about you don't comment in a topic that is basically about a players upside.

I guess we should have never talked about Suggs or Franz upside when we drafted them. ONLY FACTS!

Return to Orlando Magic