ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

RichCollab
Starter
And1: 726

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#301 » by RichCollab » Sun May 12, 2024 3:58 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Knightro wrote:This front office simply has not earned the benefit of the doubt (at least for me) when it comes to “oh we’re going to punt on doing something during time X, in favor of instead waiting and doing something during time Y.”

Because what happens when we get to the summer of 2025 and the “perfect” addition in free agency or a trade just isn’t there?

This.

It’s still funny though that people give them the pass that “it’s all strategic based on perfect timing” like they aren’t at the mercy of dictating their decisions based on what other teams are doing.

They’ve used the same excuses before. I remember when they first took over and talked about “needing consistency” with a group they would only trade years later. Same with this group. 1/3 of the roster shouldn’t be here or retained but they will argue that this team “needs consistency” whether the roster makes sense or not.

He had zero playoff series with Wizards, 3 with Memphis and 1 with Minnesota.

He had one good series and the rest were no shows.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,301

Post#302 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 12, 2024 4:13 pm

RichCollab wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Knightro wrote:This front office simply has not earned the benefit of the doubt (at least for me) when it comes to “oh we’re going to punt on doing something during time X, in favor of instead waiting and doing something during time Y.”

Because what happens when we get to the summer of 2025 and the “perfect” addition in free agency or a trade just isn’t there?

This.

It’s still funny though that people give them the pass that “it’s all strategic based on perfect timing” like they aren’t at the mercy of dictating their decisions based on what other teams are doing.

They’ve used the same excuses before. I remember when they first took over and talked about “needing consistency” with a group they would only trade years later. Same with this group. 1/3 of the roster shouldn’t be here or retained but they will argue that this team “needs consistency” whether the roster makes sense or not.

He had zero playoff series with Wizards, 3 with Memphis and 1 with Minnesota.

He had one good series and the rest were no shows.

You responded to the wrong post.

But yeah, you don’t think it’s probably misleading to be looking at his stats as a backup albeit one that was in consideration as a 6MOTY with Memphis playing behind Ja?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,856

Post#303 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 4:32 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Great point...maybe I'll start dreaming up my first trade post :roll:

OMG no! Someone asked for more ideas from Skybox? He has like 5 a day. LOL

Perhaps I came on strong but you have a point, the last thing we need is more Skybox ideas.

Less from me would benefit everybody...me most of all. It's not like I don't have more important things I should be working on :lol:

My brain is overflowing with ORL Magic trade ideas, 1970's Miami Dolphins players, every part on every BMX bike or skateboard I ever owned, and MAD magazine "sarcasm programming" I received starting around age 6, etc...Imagine if I could apply that to something like personal finance :banghead:

But if you guys aren't getting enough...buckle in.

I figure you all worry about my well-being when my name isn't on 4 or more of the "most recents" when you log in :crazy:
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,414

Post#304 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:32 pm

Knightro wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:That Ingram rumor to me makes no sense, we really have no usage of another mediocre shooter with high usage on ball who doesn't like to play without ball.

Mediocre shooter feels overly harsh.

Since arriving in New Orleans, he’s got a .472/.372/.847 slash line. He’s made 517 three pointers as a Pelican, ya know?

If Paolo had that slash line (and yes, I know he’s 6 years younger and ideally will have an even better slash line by the time he’s 27), we’d all be doing backflips :lol:

I'm just not fan of Ingram. I think his stat sheet looks way better than his impact is. Watching him at World cup last year just reforged my baseline opinion about him. When his teams face inferior competition, he is first guy to feast , when his teams face serious teams, he is first guy to fold. He just had series where he shot 34% FG on 14 shots for 14 points in playoffs.
He did have one good playoff series back in 2022 tho.

Digging deeper:
Pelicans record 2022-23 without Ingram 19-18, with Ingram 23-22
Pelicans record 2023-24 without Ingram 11-7, with Ingram 38-26

:dontknow:

Oh and his mid range love. Guy took 1017 shots last season, 620 were mid range jumpers.

You said he made 517 threes with Pelicans. True. But he spent 5 years with Peles already. He only made 86 threes last season. And he makes $30M a year. So what would his exstension look like? 5 years $200 M ? :x

And i simply don't like Banchero+ Ingram+Franz as trio. Who plays SG, who spots up ? Who is willing to take volumen 3s and who is willing to give up a ball?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,592

Post#305 » by eyriq » Sun May 12, 2024 4:46 pm

DeMar DeRozan, Paul George, and James Harden are the free agents you pursue if you want to add to your core.

Malik Monk, D'Angelo Russell, Klay Thompson and Tyus Jones are free agents you pursue if you want to round out your starting lineup.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,856

Post#306 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 4:49 pm

So many options...here's another one:

Would NOLA just give us CJ and his $33m x 2 for, say 2rps or DEN frp? Would that amount of cap flexibility be more useful to them...NOLA fans seem unhappy with, well, everybody but Herb and Trey, so it's hard to gauge their reality and objectives. Cap space IS an asset to be moved around, just like players and picks for the right team.

I've got mixed feelings, but it'd be a LOT better than other choices - particularly, doing nothing.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#307 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 12, 2024 5:03 pm

eyriq wrote:DeMar DeRozan, Paul George, and James Harden are the free agents you pursue if you want to add to your core.

Malik Monk, D'Angelo Russell, Klay Thompson and Tyus Jones are free agents you pursue if you want to round out your starting lineup.

These guys are all 34 turning 35 soon. They are not “core” with 21 and 22 year olds. You have maybe 1 contract out of them if they don’t fall off in 1.5-2 seasons. Also, Klay is in the first group, which is why he isn’t a good target in either scenario. Also, there is no waiting. All of these guys have already fallen off except maybe PG.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#308 » by eyriq » Sun May 12, 2024 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,868

Post#309 » by Knightro » Sun May 12, 2024 5:40 pm

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

And if it is, it’s a near certainty they have a worse record than this past year.

But maybe that’s ok?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#310 » by eyriq » Sun May 12, 2024 5:49 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

And if it is, it’s a near certainty they have a worse record than this past year.

But maybe that’s ok?
It's ok. It's also not a near certainty but whatever, do you.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,247

Post#311 » by cedric76 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:52 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

But maybe that’s ok?
It's ok. It's also not a near certainty but whatever, do you.

I think AB will take over many of Gary's minutes
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
RichCollab
Starter

Post#312 » by RichCollab » Sun May 12, 2024 5:55 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

But maybe that’s ok?

I don’t mind losing if it means developing Black and or Jett.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,079

Post#313 » by p0peye » Sun May 12, 2024 6:01 pm

RichCollab wrote:
Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

But maybe that’s ok?

Yep, only losers want to win anyways.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,186

Post#314 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:02 pm

RichCollab wrote:
Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

But maybe that’s ok?

I bet Paolo minds losing
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#315 » by eyriq » Sun May 12, 2024 6:02 pm

I was reflecting on Mosley's and Weltman's interviews and the common themes:

- Focus on internal improvement
- Emphasis on team cohesion and culture
- Strategic planning and improvement, with a focus on long-term impact
- Learning from experience
- Future outlook and expectations rooted in building on the current foundation

This 100% sounds like a posture that rearranges deck's chairs and avoids identity changing moves.
RichCollab
Starter

Post#316 » by RichCollab » Sun May 12, 2024 6:10 pm

Ranking moves after viewing playoff stats

1. Murray - money could get interesting
2. Monk - money in the future seems more workable
3. Klay - shot in the arm for playoffs

Really not sure about anyone else.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#317 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 12, 2024 6:45 pm

Getting rid of Gary and Fultz lends minutes to AB.

Getting a vet SG/PG gives Orlando enough rotation minutes for AB, Cole, Suggs, and whoever this happens to be with Jett getting spot minutes at SG.

They are just replacing Gary’s minutes with whoever the offseason acquisition becomes and AB’s minutes with Fultz. Jett is going to get Caleb minutes next season. Which isn’t a lot, but it’s more than what he had last season.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#318 » by zaymon » Sun May 12, 2024 6:54 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Getting rid of Gary and Fultz lends minutes to AB.

Getting a vet SG/PG gives Orlando enough rotation minutes for AB, Cole, Suggs, and whoever this happens to be with Jett getting spot minutes at SG.

They are just replacing Gary’s minutes with whoever the offseason acquisition becomes and AB’s minutes with Fultz. Jett is going to get Caleb minutes next season. Which isn’t a lot, but it’s more than what he had last season.

There is a lot of potential minutes to earn next season. Fultz, Cole, Ingles, Harris. We can give those minutes to AB and Jett, sign someone like Jones or Monk and still have minutes for Harris, Anthony or their replacement. Then there is Mo Wagner, and 3rd string center role.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,709

Post#319 » by Howard Mass » Sun May 12, 2024 6:59 pm

Isn't it weird not to be in The Lottery?

It feels great though.

One thing to look forward too...... Magic are likely to have a lottery pick in 2026 via Phoenix or Washington.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#320 » by eyriq » Sun May 12, 2024 7:00 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
eyriq wrote:DeMar DeRozan, Paul George, and James Harden are the free agents you pursue if you want to add to your core.

These guys are all 34 turning 35 soon. They are not “core” with 21 and 22 year olds. You have maybe 1 contract out of them if they don’t fall off in 1.5-2 seasons. Also, Klay is in the first group, which is why he isn’t a good target in either scenario. Also, there is no waiting. All of these guys have already fallen off except maybe PG.

I agree. I'm just saying that if we added one of them they'd be in our top three in USG% and PPG. We would only target them if we are thinking we absolutely needed a top three scorer. I don't think we're thinking that.

Return to Orlando Magic